ATM network in Europe?

NoWhiners

Hi All

We are taking the Prinsendam around the Black Sea in October. I know we can get currency at various ATMs in Athens, Istanbul and probably the other countries we visit (Bulgaria, Romania, Russia and Ukraine). Has anyone noticed which network these ATMs are? There may be different ones. Our credit union is part of Cirrhus (sp?) and they only charge a 1% fee to use, which would be great.

Just trying to figure out the best way to plan this. Our credit union said if the ATM is out of network, the additional fees can vary a lot.

Does anyone have any experience or insight to share?

Thanks

ML

Just look for the signs for your network on the machines

Yours is a big one so your ability to access abm's should be quite easy.

That being said, I would either bring a bit or hit the airport atm so that you are not without foreign currency if you need a cab and struggling to find a machine.

As you are walking later you will see many.

There's some good discussions on the ports boards on this worth looking at.

One thing for sure - make sure that you have a 4 digit pin on your card and the 'main' account you want to access is chequing. There is no savings button on many atm's in Europe.

Sounds like a great cruise on a great ship;) I'll be reporting on ours if it's of any help to you.

Have a wonderful voyage on the Elegant Explorer:)

Just look for the signs for your network on the machines

Yours is a big one so your ability to access abm's should be quite easy.

That being said, I would either bring a bit or hit the airport atm so that you are not without foreign currency if you need a cab and struggling to find a machine.

As you are walking later you will see many.

There's some good discussions on the ports boards on this worth looking at.

One thing for sure - make sure that you have a 4 digit pin on your card and the 'main' account you want to access is chequing. There is no savings button on many atm's in Europe.

Sounds like a great cruise on a great ship;) I'll be reporting on ours if it's of any help to you.

Have a wonderful voyage on the Elegant Explorer:)

Hi kazu

Thanks for the helpful info. My account is savings and the credit union did say it would be easier to use checking. We will have plenty of euros and TL to get us started but I want to be sure we can plan on the ATMs if needed. Do you really think only having savings (with a PIN but I don't know how many digits it is since I don't have it yet) will be an issue?

I know you are getting ready to go on Prinsendam--May 17? Your roll call is quite active (unlike ours--near dead!! but I did meet a few other people on it and we have set up some private tours). i would love to hear all about it--be sure and post so we can see how great it was.

Thanks

ML

A small suggestion for you - sign up for a Charles Schwab checking account. They will reimburse your account for ALL ATM charges and there is no foreign transaction fees. We use this whenever we travel particularly abroad. There is no minimum amount needed for an account to the best of my knowledge.

I have a five-diigt PIN card issued by a Canadian financial institution and my card has been well used all over the world. Never a problem!

A small suggestion for you - sign up for a Charles Schwab checking account. They will reimburse your account for ALL ATM charges and there is no foreign transaction fees. We use this whenever we travel particularly abroad. There is no minimum amount needed for an account to the best of my knowledge.

Valley Girl

Thanks for the tip--we'll look into this.

ML

I have a five-diigt PIN card issued by a Canadian financial institution and my card has been well used all over the world. Never a problem!

Taxman

Is this against a savings account or a checking account? I am a little confused, since the 1% charge will be billed to my credit card (and that is what I will use at the ATM), so i don't get what this has to do with the account type!

You can tell we don't do this much!!

thanks for the info

ML

Taxman

Is this against a savings account or a checking account? I am a little confused, since the 1% charge will be billed to my credit card (and that is what I will use at the ATM), so i don't get what this has to do with the account type!

You can tell we don't do this much!!

thanks for the info

ML

Are you using your credit card for cash advances?? that will be very expensive as interest is charged on money taken from day one. We use a debit card linked to our checking account - as do most people - that is why the discussion about what accounts it is linked to.

Are you using your credit card for cash advances?? that will be very expensive as interest is charged on money taken from day one. We use a debit card linked to our checking account - as do most people - that is why the discussion about what accounts it is linked to.

Superoma

I think that is the case. i will check with them again. I can always set up a checking account with the credit union and do it the way you described.

we really need to get out more...:)

ML

Superoma

I think that is the case. i will check with them again. I can always set up a checking account with the credit union and do it the way you described.

we really need to get out more...:)

ML

the other thing you want to consider is just using your credit card for purchases. We always take Euros but seldom get other currency. for one thing we purchase very little on shore. Most places you will go to on a cruise will take a Visa or a Mastercard. Fewer take American Express. You could also pick up local currency onboard at the desk. the exchange rate is not good but if you only want to exchange $20 or so to be able to buy a coffee, that might even be your best bet.

the other thing you want to consider is just using your credit card for purchases. We always take Euros but seldom get other currency. for one thing we purchase very little on shore. Most places you will go to on a cruise will take a Visa or a Mastercard. Fewer take American Express. You could also pick up local currency onboard at the desk. the exchange rate is not good but if you only want to exchange $20 or so to be able to buy a coffee, that might even be your best bet.

Eva

yes, we may do this but will need local currency in some places since some won't take credit cards. And, some cards charge a foreign transaction fee, which can be quite large.

I use a "debit" card and can access either savings or chequing account wihtout difficulty.

We would never use a credit card at an ATM.

I think i will check with our regular bank and see what their options are. might be easier than the credit union. Thanks.

ML

But I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Your financial institution would probably recommend you change to a 4 digit pin especially if you intended to use it overseas, and I would recommend it strongly. I think you have been fairly lucky up to now.

Hi kazu

Thanks for the helpful info. My account is savings and the credit union did say it would be easier to use checking. We will have plenty of euros and TL to get us started but I want to be sure we can plan on the ATMs if needed. Do you really think only having savings (with a PIN but I don't know how many digits it is since I don't have it yet) will be an issue?

I know you are getting ready to go on Prinsendam--May 17? Your roll call is quite active (unlike ours--near dead!! but I did meet a few other people on it and we have set up some private tours). i would love to hear all about it--be sure and post so we can see how great it was.

Thanks

ML

my pleasure - sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

I believe you can have the credit union change your access on the abm to chequing. Yes, it can be an issue if it is savings. I found out the hard way. Whatever account you want to use, make sure it is the 'main' account and not 'other' on the machine.

Some machines in Europe do not acknowledge 'savings' accounts. Seriously.

I'm glad others have been fine with a 5 digit pin - I changed mine to 4 digits years ago as certain machines don't like 5 digits.

Just reporting as a retired banker and a current traveller based on what I have advised in the past and experienced.

Yes, our roll call is busy, busy, busy!!! It's a fairly intensive port itinerary once we cross the pond. I'm looking forward to meeting all of these wonderful people:D

But I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Your financial institution would probably recommend you change to a 4 digit pin especially if you intended to use it overseas, and I would recommend it strongly. I think you have been fairly lucky up to now.

Some machines in Europe do not acknowledge 'savings' accounts. Seriously.

I'm glad others have been fine with a 5 digit pin - I changed mine to 4 digits years ago as certain machines don't like 5 digits.

My debit card is issued by a Canadian financial institution and is valid on the PLUS network of ATM's. The PLUS network is designed to handle PIN's ranging from4 to 13 digits in Canada as well as all over the world. Systems have evolved and there is no need to be alarmed about a five-digit PIN.

My debit card is issued by a Canadian financial institution and is valid on the PLUS network of ATM's. The PLUS network is designed to handle PIN's ranging from4 to 13 digits in Canada as well as all over the world. Systems have evolved and there is no need to be alarmed about a five-digit PIN.

Careful, in North America Plus will work but abroad, it is very likely the machines will only read the first 4 digits so a card with more can be refused.

I would recommend everyone check with their financial institution to be certain.

Cirrus and Mastercard require four digits.

This is too important an issue for travellers to not confirm with their banks/credit unions. It only takes a few minutes.:)

Yes I agree with everyone who says to confirm with their financial institution. Ask for the actual rate per transaction to take out money as the 1% charge does sound a little odd. When I was in Europe backpacking, I had 6 free transactions a month and would just estimate how much I needed in each country and try to use it once in each place. That worked out well for me. I took out money from ATMs in all sorts of places, but mainly airports and train stations.

Wow, who knew there was so much to consider!! Thanks all for the advice and information--I appreciate all of it!! When I traveled internationally or business before I retired, I just used my company credit card and didn't worry about fees (they were 2.5%). Now that I am on the hook for all charges, I am trying to be more careful!:)

I am concerned about using our credit cards overseas, since I have read a lot about identity theft and unauthorized use of a card before we return home. So, we will use them for things we know are safe (tours, hotels, etc) but less so for shops and restaurants, especially in small, more obscure places (i.e, Constanta, Romania, where there have been several CC posters warning to be careful).

I need to check out our options and see what might work best and I need to get a new PIN for my credit card, just in case. I have had friends bring me a lot of local currency--TL and euros's mostly. Just to be safe, I will get a 4 digit PIN--if no other reason it is easy to remember!

So happy I posted this--you have all given me a lot of great info to think about. I sort of think other countries do all of this better than the US--not sure why US banks make it so hard (but I could guess!! $$$$$)

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

ML

On our most recent cruise, I did go to our local bank and order some currency to take with me along with the Schwab debit card I felt good about what we were doing. If we were new to a country and had an excursion that same morning, then I would pre order that currency so I could pay and not have to worry about getting money immediately.

I agree with taxmantoo and never use a credit card at an ATM - only debit cards. Credit cards charge a high interest rate on your credit card for using it to pull money out of an ATM. I think it Chase credit card that I checked last year and it was about 16%. I had the pin number "just in case" but never used it. Check and see what your financial institution. Rereading your post, I am a little confused because you say that your ATM is tied to a savings account and that your credit union suggest you tie it to your checking yet you say they are charging the fee to your credit card???? Wouldn't they charge it to your checking or savings account? Just check all this out.

I still say use the Schwab debit card tied to their checking account - no fees whatsoever.

On our most recent cruise, I did go to our local bank and order some currency to take with me along with the Schwab debit card I felt good about what we were doing. If we were new to a country and had an excursion that same morning, then I would pre order that currency so I could pay and not have to worry about getting money immediately.

I agree with taxmantoo and never use a credit card at an ATM - only debit cards. Credit cards charge a high interest rate on your credit card for using it to pull money out of an ATM. I think it Chase credit card that I checked last year and it was about 16%. I had the pin number "just in case" but never used it. Check and see what your financial institution. Rereading your post, I am a little confused because you say that your ATM is tied to a savings account and that your credit union suggest you tie it to your checking yet you say they are charging the fee to your credit card???? Wouldn't they charge it to your checking or savings account? Just check all this out.

I still say use the Schwab debit card tied to their checking account - no fees whatsoever.

Yes, that was confusing!! Actually, the only way I can use my credit union account at an ATM is by my credit card. This is what will cost 1% and why it will be charged on credit card statement (I need to check if it is just 1% for use plus the fiinance fee, which I know is a lot). They also said that the easiest way to do this (as almost all of you already knew!) is to have a checking account and use a debit card. But, my account with the credit union is savings, so I would need to open a new account or maybe convert my savings to checking. Does that make it any clearer?! I think I will get in touch with the bank where I have my checking account and see what they have--but it is Bank of America and they aren't known for giving much away!! This is why I am starting to work on this now--so I can find the best way to do it and be prepared when we get there.

the main thing we have not mentioned is ENJOY YOUR CRUISE. !!!!

Absolutely no problem with that--once we get there, it is what it is and we will have a great time. Thanks for the good wishes and help!

ML

We bank with Bank of America and they have a number of partner banks to help avoid any ATM fees. Not so with foreign exchange fees. We used our Capital One Venture card because of their great rewards program and there are no foreign exchange fees. We always use the bank recommended ATM just to get some walking-around local currency and use the credit card for everything. I love AMEX but it is next to useless for shopping now in Europe. But they, too, have a foreign exchange fee that I find annoying.

We bank with Bank of America and they have a number of partner banks to help avoid any ATM fees. Not so with foreign exchange fees. We used our Capital One Venture card because of their great rewards program and there are no foreign exchange fees. We always use the bank recommended ATM just to get some walking-around local currency and use the credit card for everything. I love AMEX but it is next to useless for shopping now in Europe. But they, too, have a foreign exchange fee that I find annoying.

Hi bphman

So, you use your BOA account for access to ATMs and this keeps fees low or none? And, when you use a credit card, you use your Capital One card because they don't have a foreign transaction fee? Just trying to clarify what you wrote.

I guess it comes down to using one account for the ATM and then picking the right credit card if you use one in Europe--does that sum it up about right? DH has a capital One card (he says--but I haven't seen it so who knows!!), which i had heard was quite good for use in Europe.

Thanks

ML

So, you use your BOA account for access to ATMs and this keeps fees low or none?
Basically, if you use your Bank of America ATM card in an ATM of most banks belonging to the Global Alliance, you should pay lower fees than if you use the card in a non-Global Alliance ATM.

More information here.

Archived