The Grandeur Repositions to Baltimore

Were Back!! We docked just after 7 am today. We had a great cruise. You are going to love the Grandeur. It is smaller than some ships, but cozy.

As we planned for our repositioning cruise from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Baltimore, Maryland I looked for up-to-date information on the Grandeur. Most that was available was from before the refit last spring.

A number of people talked about sewer smells near the Centrum. I decided I would write a very long detailed overview of our cruise and the ship. The reposition cruise had a different itinerary than the normal routes, but, many of our ports of call are included in future cruises.

If you are not interested in the rest of the review, here is a brief description of the Grandeur. I did not smell any odors on any deck during the entire 9 days of the cruise. Our cabins was not far from the Centrum on deck 8--and we visited all of the decks.

Passengers in Aft JS mentioned that they had soot on their balconies. But, the cabin steward took care of this for them.

There are still many Latin American influences on this ship. The show, "Tango Buenos Aires" is not to be missed. They have a professional Tango couple onbaord. So take a lesson!:D

The Aerial show is on the last night and is very good. We saw them practicing new routines that were not part of the show. So, there will likely be more than one show in the future.

OK--time for me to leave the ship. I will start the review of the cruise when we get home.

Thanks for the quickie update - so many of us have been waiting for some word - any word, about the condition of Grandeur since her refit. Your initial assessment has provided some welcomed relief to the many rumors of widespread sewer smells, plumbing issues, and the like.

Looking forward to your detailed review.

And, Welcome Home!

John

I did have occasional sewage smells in my cabin and also noticed a slight whiff walking the hall. I was on deck 3 forward. Another person I met who was on deck 2 aft said she also had sewage smells.

Toilet wouldn't always flush when the button was pushed - but you would hear it flush itself a short time later.

Elevator buttons had most of the numbers worn off and keypads are low on the wall - so a lot of bending down to figure out which button to push.

This was our first ship when we started cruising in'05. We had a great time and since sailed on her on 2 other cruises. Looking forward to boarding her in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I recently found out that my friends son will be the new Cruise Director on the Grandeur beginning May 10th! She will be pleased to know that the ship is in good condition. ;)

Oh, for anyone sailing in the coming weeks, the new CD is a great, cute guy and funny! I think you will like him. :)

I was on this cruise too and have written my review. Great ship, great crew, great ports. Wish they were doing this itinerary again. Only complaint is they ran out of iced tea on day 8. This ship sails and entertains like a big ship.

Thank you for the upcoming review...looking forward to it. I'm staying in a cabin right next to the centrum (panoramic oceanview state room) so would love your take on noise level too.

I recently found out that my friends son will be the new Cruise Director on the Grandeur beginning May 10th! She will be pleased to know that the ship is in good condition. ;)

Oh, for anyone sailing in the coming weeks, the new CD is a great, cute guy and funny! I think you will like him. :)

Who is the new CD if you can say?

We are looking forward to sailing on Grandeur again the end of August into September on a B2B to Bermuda and then on to Canada and New England. We have sailed on her twice before, both with Captain Rob, who we do enjoy. Unfortunately, he is now on Rhapsody. We also had John and Katrin Blair twice as CD's (Grandeur in 2009 and Enchantment in 2012) and though some may not like them, we found them to be good to great.

Love sailing out of Baltimore, but wish they would do longer cruises during the warmer seasons besides winter.

Mary Anne

Thank you for the upcoming review...looking forward to it. I'm staying in a cabin right next to the centrum (panoramic oceanview state room) so would love your take on noise level too.

We had an ocean view right near the Centrum in October, 2012. Cabin 3590. No noise problem at all. We did have the odor problem, but that and one member of the cruise director's staff were the only problems on an otherwise fabulous cruise. The food was wonderful and the crew on Grandeur is just plain outstanding.

Here is my review from October.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=110727

what a coinky dink! so is ours! (only 15 years though)

spookwife,

Coinky dink?? LOL... had to google that one:D Congrats!!!

We're still on our honeymoon!!!

Which is wierd cuz' we never really had one ...til our first cruise - our 25th in 2005.

Are you on the same cruise with us?

Mike

Archived