Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

I have never needed to use duct tape at home in 52yrs of my life. What do you use it for on a cruise? I am not trying to be rude just wondering what it's used for other than sealing off air from a heating of cooling system duct.

I have used duct tape while wrapping wine bottles in bubblewrap.It is a good repair tool for just about anything that may brea, like eye glasses or tears in luggage etc.

Taking the /clorox wipes is fine, but please understand that if there is a norovirus outbreak, neither these wipes or alcohol gel will prevent it nor de-activate the virus. Only bleach can do this, and bleach wipes present a challenge to use. Wash your hands- frequently and for 20 sec. minimum.

Taking the /clorox wipes is fine, but please understand that if there is a norovirus outbreak, neither these wipes or alcohol gel will prevent it nor de-activate the virus. Only bleach can do this, and bleach wipes present a challenge to use. Wash your hands- frequently and for 20 sec. minimum.

Thanks for saying this.

I think the prevalence of the gel on ships lulls people into thinking that will replace hand washing (which is the only real thing that works!)

Put the magnets in your checked luggage assuming that your electronic devices will be in your carry on luggage. That's what I did. I put them inside the case that I use for my bathroom items.

Tom:)

Wrap your magnets in foil, put in a small ziplock bag and tuck into a shoe

I have never needed to use duct tape at home in 52yrs of my life. What do you use it for on a cruise? I am not trying to be rude just wondering what it's used for other than sealing off air from a heating of cooling system duct.

Agree! I've never brought it on a cruise..saying that now..hope I won't need it..lol can probably find it in most ports if needed.

That's a good idea. The funny thing is we do the opposite. We both buy new underwear before the trip. It must have something to do with the way we were raised.

Yes me too. I always buy it new for a trip and cruise.

Thanks for saying this.

I think the prevalence of the gel on ships lulls people into thinking that will replace hand washing (which is the only real thing that works!)

According to online info, THIS type of Chlorox wipes DO work for C.Diff and Noro

Clorox® Healthcare™ Bleach Germicidal Wipes

I have used duct tape while wrapping wine bottles in bubblewrap.It is a good repair tool for just about anything that may brea, like eye glasses or tears in luggage etc.

We don't take a whole roll of Duct Tape, we cut a piece of cardboard wide enough for the width of the tape and cover it with aluminum foil, then wrap several yards of Duct Tape around it and place in plastic bag. Works great for little emergencies while traveling.

Many great ideas and I have used many of them. One thing I have found helps me to cut down on so many shoes is to take a pair of clear heeled sandals. They go with almost anything you wear at night for dinner. The bad thing is I am always in fear I will break a heel so I end up with 2 pairs of clear high heeled sandals!!LOL

We don't take a whole roll of Duct Tape, we cut a piece of cardboard wide enough for the width of the tape and cover it with aluminum foil, then wrap several yards of Duct Tape around it and place in plastic bag. Works great for little emergencies while traveling.

Eyeglass repair tube (along with spare pair). Several extra USB cables, you can buy them online for a buck each and they weigh nothing, if you have a need for them. Two or three extra pens. A couple of band-aids. Printout of useful maps from cruise sites or google, these won't go home with you.

Basically, I try to have with me anything they might charge me seven bucks for in the gift shop. If not enough for the entire cruise, at least enough to let me go ashore and pick it up for two bucks.

Edited by Wehwalt

According to online info, THIS type of Chlorox wipes DO work for C.Diff and Noro

Clorox® Healthcare™ Bleach Germicidal Wipes

I do what they ask of me, of course, for good sanitation practices. When we had the norovirus on the Pacific last December, I made a point of wearing long-sleeve shirts that I could draw over my hand when touching handrails and the like. I didn't get it, for whatever reason.

An old credit, debit or store card works as well. Even seen duct tape wound round a pen

Sandy in Spain

An old credit, debit or store card works as well. Even seen duct tape wound round a pen

Sandy in Spain

On a recent flight the overhead bin above my head would not shut.

The flight attendant was frantically trying to "fix it" so we could take off.

Passengers were getting antsy.

I pulled my little stash of duct tape out of my purse and gave it to her.

Problem solved! Passengers applauded! I smiled! :)

And I owe it all to this little tip I found on CC. Thanks!

Trudy

I don't like to take a lot of extra stuff, but we have a small digital clock that also serves as a nightlight. I love the Pyrex sheets, but am hoping to be elite before they run out. Quarters are a must because they frequently run out. We are ever optimistic about being able to smuggle wine on board so always bring a corkscrew, foil cutter and wine stopper. We also plan to buy the serendipity luggage tags before our next trip. We recently left on a wet day and the paper tags were barely hanging on. Other than that you probably need much less than you think you need. Look at Rick Steve's packing tips. Life is too short to be weighted down with a lot of baggage.

I don't like to take a lot of extra stuff, but we have a small digital clock that also serves as a nightlight. I love the Pyrex sheets, but am hoping to be elite before they run out. Quarters are a must because they frequently run out. We are ever optimistic about being able to smuggle wine on board so always bring a corkscrew, foil cutter and wine stopper. We also plan to buy the serendipity luggage tags before our next trip. We recently left on a wet day and the paper tags were barely hanging on. Other than that you probably need much less than you think you need. Look at Rick Steve's packing tips. Life is too short to be weighted down with a lot of baggage.

What do you do with the "Pyrex Sheet"? Make cookies? :D:D:D

I know you meant Purex 3 in 1 Sheets...:p

We have some ultra light weight cloths hampers than fols completely flat and easily fit in a medium sized suitcase. IIRC a set of 3 was less than 10 dollars at a wallgreens.

We set them in the corner of the closet. Really helps keep things straight.

As far as a nightlight in the bathroom on Princess ships, is there a plug in there that will accept it? I thought those plugs were of a different sort.

Outlet in the bathroom may be switched on/off with the bathroom lights. We ran into that on the Carnival Legend. Happily plugged our nightlight into the 'shaver' socket, turned the bathroom light off and the outlet was dead. LED Tea Light is a nice idea for that purpose.

Cheers!

John

Duct tape can be purchased in miniature rolls. I got a pack of 2 rolls from Magellan years ago and have kept the same little roll in my "anything" box for years without needing it. But nice to know I have it and wish it'd been there years ago when my luggage zipper was ruined and I had to use scotch tape to keep the bag closed!

Amazon also has several choices for travel sized duct tape, quite inexpensive. The peace of mind is great.

Sandy in Spain

I wrap colorful duct tape around the handles of my suitcases. I don't have to search for it and it makes my luggage stand out on the baggage carrousel because of the colored handles.

I wrap colorful duct tape around the handles of my suitcases. I don't have to search for it and it makes my luggage stand out on the baggage carrousel because of the colored handles.

That's what I did for our luggage, and it is the best idea when you are trying to locate your luggage on the carousel at the airport ! My husband didn't like the bright pink, though! Ha ha.

Instead of the duct tape on luggage handles, I have used a stencil to paint flowers on all sides of our luggage. No matter how they come down the conveyer they can be spotted right away. A little off subject but useful I hope.