Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

This fits in the palm of your hand and has a great sound that really fills the room, I used it on last years Ruby Med cruise and we are using it again this year on the Emerald Northern Europe next month. It operates with all players, Ipod Iphone, Mp3, Kindle etc. This way you can have your favorite music when you want it. I have no connection to the company, I am just recommending a great travel item.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-ZX100-Portable-Rechargeable-Resonator/dp/B004HHICKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374084112&sr=8-1&keywords=kinovo+speaker

Hmmmmmm........ Sounds like I don't ever want a room next to, above, or below yours. Other people's music isn't on my list of things I want to deal with on a cruise. Hopefully when you say the sound "really fills the room" you are playing it at a low and non-intrusive volume.

My sentiments exactly - I have been next to someone with an amplifier and hope never to have that happen again. :(

LikeButton.jpg.3b3362ca1201ad4b3fffd6216e8f2771.jpg

This fits in the palm of your hand and has a great sound that really fills the room, I used it on last years Ruby Med cruise and we are using it again this year on the Emerald Northern Europe next month. It operates with all players, Ipod Iphone, Mp3, Kindle etc. This way you can have your favorite music when you want it. I have no connection to the company, I am just recommending a great travel item.

Thanks for the mention of this. I have been looking for a small speaker for my cruise just for some mood music in the room. I don't need it loud but want to be able to play the music I like. No not loud in the cabin.

DH tried to throw out a frayed button down shirt and an old pair of khaki pants. The steward kept taking them out of the trash and left them on the chair. He finally explained that we could not throw them out on the ship, so we lugged them and a bunch of other clothing items we intended to throw out back home and put them in our trash. It seems they have certain classes of garbage when they sort it and the clothes are not compatible with their sorting system.

I successfully threw out several clothing items on the Emerald Princess. Of course, they were in such dreadful shape by then perhaps there wasn't any doubt that they were trash!

I had a lot of fun reading and using the suggestions posted on this thread for my cruise on the Emerald Princess to Northern Europe.Here are a few things I found most useful.

I purchased an over the door shoe holder organizer with mesh pockets which I bought for $8 at Big Lots. I hung it on the two hooks that were on the back of the bathroom door and put all of our toiletries in the pockets. It was a very efficient way of storing and finding everything. I organized the pockets so one pocket contained my toothpaste, floss, mouthwash. Another pocket contained my hair brush/comb, another pocket contained medicine, etc. I used some of the rows of the pockets for my things and other rows for my husband's belongings. This system made it much easier to find things instead of having to dig in make-up bags or shaving kits, especially given the small bathroom size and limited counter space.

A power strip came in very handy to charge our ipad and cell phones. I used my ipad (the nightstand app) as an alarm clock/nightlight so it helped to keep it charged through the night.

I didn't need a clothespin to keep the curtains closed. They kept closed and I noticed that there was a piece of velcro on them for this purpose.I assume the velcro was on other cabins' curtains, but am not sure.

I used a travel mug and insulated tumbler to carry coffee/ice tea/soda and to keep beverages at their designated temperatures. I actually got the insulated tumbler when I purchased the ultimate beverage card on the first day of the trip (it came with my $7.00 a day card) so I only needed to bring the covered travel mug.

I didn't need to bring a luggage scale since the Princess Patter said you could ask the room steward for one if you wanted to weigh your suitcases as you prepared for disembarkation (luckily the scale was for the luggage and not for me at the end of the cruise) :-)

Ziplock bags came in very handy to store snacks.

I didn't need a flashlight since I had a flashlight app on my cell phone.

The walls of the cabin and doors are magnetic so previous posts about bringing magnetic memo pads or a magnet (and using the paper pad from the cabin) for leaving notes is a great suggestion.

I didn't need to bring additional hangers. I asked my room steward as soon as I got to the room and she brought me miscellaneous wire hangers.

No way will husband let me bring a case of water bottles. Does the ship charge unreasonable amt. for a bottle of H2O? Would bottled water be included on the "unlimited drinks & more pkg." sticker?

We bring a water filter pitcher and it fits in the refrigerator. Zero and Brita both make a small pitcher 10 cup - cold pure water.

Sharon

I have never needed to use duct tape at home in 52yrs of my life. What do you use it for on a cruise? I am not trying to be rude just wondering what it's used for other than sealing off air from a heating of cooling system duct.

So far, used it to fix my glasses after I sat on them.. Not the best looking repair but a tiny piece did the job, held a towel over a window to replace a non existing curtain, held a little piece of laminate wood that was sticking out of curved dresser and had cut my SD's leg, and many more. I always have just a little piece folded over itself . It is about 6 in long and a quarter of an inch thick. Almost never use it at home, but when traveling it replaces pins, scotch tape glue etc. I just bring that instead of many other things.

Here is my list of do not forgets

A highlighterv

A flashlight

Apouch for valuableswhere passport and currency go

Arope and clothespins

Alarge. Mesh bag for laundry

An extra bag that fits in the side pocket of a suitcase just in case i go over weight limits

Aportable scale for suitcases

All meds in small quantities including calamine or caldryl

Massge flip flops

Big hat

Water bottle ...got it on princess ..put in refillable one

Extra hangers

Comfy sandals

Water shoes

Bug repellent

Hot rollers

Hairgdryer

Hair pinsor barrettes

A highlighterv

A flashlight

Arope and clothespins

An extra bag that fits in the side pocket of a suitcase just in case i go over weight limits

Massge flip flops

Big hat

Extra hangers

Comfy sandals

Water shoes

Bug repellent

Hot rollers

Hairgdryer

Hair pinsor barrettes

I've read on CC that the steward has access to a scale for suitcases so no need to bring one. If you need more hangers just ask the steward for some and save room in your suitcase.

Tom:)

We always plug in a night-light with no problem.

I have found two promotional (adveritising on them) night lights that have two skinny prongs instead of one fat and one skinny. One is from the local cable company; the other is from the medical center.

[/color]There are pods which have powder in them if you are skeptical about the ones with liquid centers. Arm and Hammer I believe is one brand that is powder.

Edited by redtogo
text

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-ZX100-Portable-Rechargeable-Resonator/dp/B004HHICKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374084112&sr=8-1&keywords=kinovo+speaker

We have to thank you for the suggestion, we bought this item and I am loving it. It will be no more of a bother to our "neighbors" than crying babies or loud TV's. Thank you for sharing.

We have to thank you for the suggestion, we bought this item and I am loving it. It will be no more of a bother to our "neighbors" than crying babies or loud TV's. Thank you for sharing.

It is not loud, it just provides a superior sound compared to the 3/16 x 1 inch speakers on your iphone or ipad.

• 2 weeks later...

In regard to the 3 in 1 sheets by Purex, I don't know if they are still putting them out or not anymore, but I really like them too. I live in Kansas City (Gladstone), Missouri and one of the grocery stores I shop at is Hy-Vee. Several months ago, that had stacks and stacks of these 3 in 1 sheets by Purex, and I bought a LOT of them. I use them my lake home, as well as my home in KC. I like them better than the pods.:)

A highlighterv

A flashlight

Arope and clothespins

Massge flip flops

Big hat

Extra hangers

Comfy sandals

Water shoes

Bug repellent

Hot rollers

Hairgdryer

Hair pinsor barrettes

No need for a rope to dry clothes. The shower has a retractable line.

Everyone's talking about the Purex sheets and of course they would take an excellent product off the market. But, I found these just now

http://www.magellans.com/laundry-soap-sheets

Not a bad price at $10.00 with a cute plastic case. Cheaper than I could find the Purex on Amazon.

Found an even better price for the same thing on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Laundry-Soap-Sheets-50-Count/dp/B000Y0CL8K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376576727&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+laundry+soap+sheets