Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

I bought one of these a year ago for another purpose. It worked well for me. Note, it folds flat.

Sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to attach a photo here. So here's a link to it.

http://www.amazon.com/COOL-Portable-USB-Electric-Black/dp/B006NWJBZE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1369668637&sr=8-4&keywords=USB+Fan

It's actual size about 5x 2.25 inches in size with a 40 inch cord.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

This is perfect! Thank you so much. I've never heard of anything like it but it will save so much space, and since I'm an Amazon addict all the better. :)

This is perfect! Thank you so much. I've never heard of anything like it but it will save so much space, and since I'm an Amazon addict all the better. :)

Check around other boards - I have read & heard a big crackdown on electrics and fans were mentioned since the fire on Carnival in Feb. Cant say if it was Princess or not..but there were numerous posts..

hope I am wrong for you sake !!

safe travels

I live on the road, travel away from home four days/week and can't imagine packing all this extra stuff. So hint from all my time living in hotels that might make things easier:

Clothespins for curtains - use clips on slack coat hanger

Laundry sheets - I can't imagine doing laundry and ironing on vacation. For the cost of a couple of cocktails you don't think twice about, you can get your daintiest cleaned and shirts pressed.

Flashlight-iPhone flashlight app

Clock - iPhone

Laundry bag - suite case for dirty or laundry bag on hanger

Clorox wipes-hand sanitizer all over ship or soap and water

Cold medicine, aspirin etc - i will buy some on ship or shore on the slight chance I'll need it

Ductape - I would rather have a cocktail on deck than repair something

White noise machine - open balcony door and listen to ocean or iPhone app

Maps, guidebooks, trashy novel etc - iPhone/pad

Surge protector - with smartphone replacing all the other stuff, you just need one plug

Personally I spend very little time in room. Just shower and sleep so bringing magnates and all this other stuff seems to add weight and worry.

I read somewhere that you need to take a small shelf to use in the shower. I found a product called gotoob that is a 2 oz container that has a suction cup on the bottle that sticks to the shower tub! I got several at BB&B.

Clorox wipes- I am not usually paranoid about germs but do not relish being sick on the cruise.

Purex 3 in 1 sheets- Someone suggested this and it makes sense to me if you do laundry.

A chill attitude!

Where did you get the Pyrex 3 in 1 sheets? I can't find them anymore and love them for traveling,

Where did you get the Pyrex 3 in 1 sheets? I can't find them anymore and love them for traveling,

You would think that Purex would maintain this market since it was so very successful. But it has been discontinued.

http://www.purex.com/products/detergents/purex-complete-3-in-1

What was once less than $5.00 is now at least twice as much. But Amazon is advertising them still with a limit of 2 per sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Purex-Complete-Laundry-Sheets-Spring/dp/B0053XE87A

Best thing to travel with. Get them while you can.

You can still sometimes find the 3-in-one sheets in stores; some have found them in Walmart, though I couldn't. I did find some at Walgreens and bought a couple of boxes. With the half box I already have, that should last me for all the rest of the cruises I'll ever take, since I only use them for cruises.

They are also online, Amazon and other places, but I expect this will eventually end too.

You can still sometimes find the 3-in-one sheets in stores; some have found them in Walmart, though I couldn't. I did find some at Walgreens and bought a couple of boxes. With the half box I already have, that should last me for all the rest of the cruises I'll ever take, since I only use them for cruises.

They are also online, Amazon and other places, but I expect this will eventually end too.

These laundry sheets are very popular with campers and RVers. We get ours from Camping World, but I'd guess most camping supply stores would have them. They don't have the "Purex" name, but they work just fine.

This was on another thread (and we really appreciated it!), but someone mentioned that they took a shower curtain and magnets to hang in between the bed and the sitting area in a mini-suite. We were cruising with a four year old, and this was a great tip. We didn't have magnets, but we could push the shower curtain up behind the wooden cornice (without marking it I must add) with a credit card. It provided enough of a divide to allow the wee guy to get to sleep whist we were still up.

This was on another thread (and we really appreciated it!), but someone mentioned that they took a shower curtain and magnets to hang in between the bed and the sitting area in a mini-suite. We were cruising with a four year old, and this was a great tip. We didn't have magnets, but we could push the shower curtain up behind the wooden cornice (without marking it I must add) with a credit card. It provided enough of a divide to allow the wee guy to get to sleep whist we were still up.

This is what I love most about CC. Most of the posts are very informative. I had to do a lot of research before coming up with this idea. It was successful because so many people mentioned that the walls and ceiling were metal.

I have a great (not related) travel buddy. On longer cruises, it is really nice to have a dressing area. So the curtain goes up and gives us a little more privacy and room (closet plus bathroom). I wonder what the steward is thinking. They must see all kinds of strange things in the stateroom.

Glad I could help. Now, if someone would let me know how I can safely transport magnets so that I don't accidentally erase my electronic devices.

This is what I love most about CC. Most of the posts are very informative. I had to do a lot of research before coming up with this idea. It was successful because so many people mentioned that the walls and ceiling were metal.

I have a great (not related) travel buddy. On longer cruises, it is really nice to have a dressing area. So the curtain goes up and gives us a little more privacy and room (closet plus bathroom). I wonder what the steward is thinking. They must see all kinds of strange things in the stateroom.

Glad I could help. Now, if someone would let me know how I can safely transport magnets so that I don't accidentally erase my electronic devices.

Put the magnets in your checked luggage assuming that your electronic devices will be in your carry on luggage. That's what I did. I put them inside the case that I use for my bathroom items.

Tom:)

There are lots of things I've purchased over the years due to these 'must have' threads but most items have gone unused. Things like over the door shoe organizers, fan, power strip, packing cubes.

My must have list has gotten pretty short and all small things:

-Pack of clorox wipes. I wipe down the cabin first thing. Also wipe down the outside of my luggage when it shows up.

-Mesh laundry bag. Has a loop that will go over a clothes hanger.

-Liquids are packed in baggies and I take extras. Always used for something.

-Wooden clothes pins. Bought a bag several cruises ago and always have some in the bottom of my bag. Use them inside or outside to pin what may need drying onto the balcony chairs. I also take our own beach towel to take off the ship. Its lighter and dries quicker than the heavy ship beach towels.

-Duct tape. I have used to tape noisey cupboard doors and rattling ceiling panels on a bouncy trip. Just a good thing to have. After all 'duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

-I do like a travel alarm. If only to be able to see the time at a glance. I use my phone for an alarm.

When we fly, we pack no more than we can carry. We have roller luggage, but we also end up having to carry it up or down stairs occasionally. So when flying we don't take any of the nice to haves only the absolute needs.

Driving is a bit different, but still go light. We hate to pack it all up the last night, do it in about 30 minutes. While most are spending a few hours repacking, we are enjoying the final nights entertainment.

When we fly, we pack no more than we can carry.

Driving is a bit different, but still go light. .

I agree..when we drive over to Galveston we can take several items we can't take on a fly cruise.

On our last drive over cruise, we bought a 15.00 tapestry rug and put it out on the balcony. It was great to have and looked good all week! We left it as part of the several gifts for our cabin steward. Here is a pic. We also brought fleece blankets and king size pillows that we also left for him. They were going to Hatti next and he said he would donate the blankets and pillows there.

IMG_1849.jpg.416b788843b86056a7c399cbf1d12193.jpg

Thanks to all for the hints. There were a few that I hadn't thought of and I have one to add.

If you're flying from Canada to the US be sure to have a pen handy to fill out all those forms. There is never a free pen at the airport! ;)

I have a shower caddy and soap pocket on a rope from favors by serendipity website that is a MUST when I cruise, especially on Princess. It can be used in any shower, but on Princess it's perfect because it has three velcro straps that attach to the bar where the soap dish is, and doesn't take up any space in the shower (which is a good thing, because the shower is famously small). The soap pocket keeps the soap from dropping, which I am apparently really good at :)

I have a shower caddy and soap pocket on a rope from favors by serendipity website that is a MUST when I cruise' date=' especially on Princess. It can be used in any shower, but on Princess it's perfect because it has three velcro straps that attach to the bar where the soap dish is, and doesn't take up any space in the shower (which is a good thing, because the shower is famously small). The soap pocket keeps the soap from dropping, which I am apparently really good at :)[/quote']

Oh, dropping the soap in those Princess showers is maddening! I am lucky that I'm small enough and spry enough to pick it up, with difficulty. I can't imagine what a large or mobility challenged person would do. Back out and pick it up?

Good idea on the soap pocket. I don't like to take a lot of extra stuff, but this sounds like a winner.

I have a shower caddy and soap pocket on a rope from favors by serendipity website that is a MUST when I cruise' date=' especially on Princess. It can be used in any shower, but on Princess it's perfect because it has three velcro straps that attach to the bar where the soap dish is, and doesn't take up any space in the shower (which is a good thing, because the shower is famously small). The soap pocket keeps the soap from dropping, which I am apparently really good at :)[/quote']

I have the shower caddy from Serendipity and I love it. I was able to put a bar of soap in the caddy, so I didn't need the soap pocket on a rope. I ordered mine online but while on the Star I saw them for sale in one of the shops along with the toiletries. They were less expensive on the ship when considering there is no shipping charge.

Collapsible plate cover, for when you want to take a plate from the buffet either outside or to your cabin. Proof from calorie-counting eyes, too as it is opaque.

If you do laundry, I recommend making a kit with a plastic tube (or jar) filled with detergent pods, a plastic bag with fabric softener sheets, and a small bag with enough quarters to get you started. It's all in one of those empty business class kits they give you on long haul airline flights. I brought this out last cruise and a fellow cruiser stated I was amazingly well organized, for a man.

I agree on the mesh laundry bag. I found my old one from the 1990s and put it in my bag and it probably saved me a pound in packing weight.

Plastic coffee mug. A cheap one. A sort you don't have to take home …

I recommend not using up the final day of shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, etc. during the cruise. Put those aside for use on the final morning so you don't have to carry off your toiletries. Toiletries are also something that should, as much as possible, be purchased en route to save on weight on the way there. Google to check if your product is sold in the country where you are to embark, and check to make sure a drugstore's near your hotel.

I rarely throw out empty plastic water bottles on the cruise. They can be refilled. At the end of the cruise, I sometimes find them useful for padding in my bags on the way home (they weigh about nothing), and then they go in the recycle bin! (remember, Princess burns plastic) otherwise they can be left onboard.

Two adapters, so you can use the two-pin outlets in the cabin.

As little white laundry as possible. Preferably none.

Edited by Wehwalt

Hi Don!

Thanks for your comment. I have had such incredible feedback from these tips. One lady told me she thought it brought her good luck, as she got pregnant after I gave her one and she had been trying for a long time. (This was not on a ship, but in a local restaurant)

Another told others workers and they came to my room asking if we had more. So I must be just meeting the right people..so sorry if you are not. :)

I would say that two dollar bills are a nicer tip on a ship which is doing lots of U.S. based itineraries, but are not what I would give on a ship heading from Singapore to Dubai.

Some great ideas. We also take a bit of duck tape. Never know when it might come in handy.

And I always take a travel mug. Can fill up and take along when you are relaxing.

Louise

I have never needed to use duct tape at home in 52yrs of my life. What do you use it for on a cruise? I am not trying to be rude just wondering what it's used for other than sealing off air from a heating of cooling system duct.

I have never needed to use duct tape at home in 52yrs of my life. What do you use it for on a cruise? I am not trying to be rude just wondering what it's used for other than sealing off air from a heating of cooling system duct.

We carry some for temporary luggage repair, if needed.

It helps if a drawer or door is banging. It can hold a drape back. It can stop something from rolling around. An emergency rap air to almost anything. (luggage...)

A good New Englander always carries duct tape in the car. Never know what kind of use it will be needed for.

Louise

Throughout the year, when it's time to replace underwear and socks, tee shirts, etc., we stash them in our "travel closet". When it's time to pack, we retrieve enough of our "old things" to make the trip. Each day as we shower and change clothes, we throw the "old things" away.

That's a good idea. The funny thing is we do the opposite. We both buy new underwear before the trip. It must have something to do with the way we were raised. I remember my mother making us put on new underwear when she was taking us to the Pediatrician and new socks when she was taking us to the mall to buy shoes she also purchased new underwear for us when we went on vacation. Who knows it just may have been time for us to be in the next larger size anyway. My wife was raised the same way.