LAFFNVEGAS LIVE from the Zuiderdam to Alaska (version 2013)

LAFFNVEGAS

Lisa, just before your arrival in Juneau weren't you supposed to cruise to Tracy Arm Fjord? I never saw any mention of it. Was it part of your itinerary? It is listed in mine later this month. thanks again, enjoying your review, just waiting to hear how you like the "Rack of Lamb", if they still offer it.

Chuck

Hi

I will never forget that "Rack of lamb.

Mary

Wednesday May 15, 2013

Good Evening From the MS Zuiderdam as we sail just west of Sitka Alaska on the Pacific Coast.

What a fantastic day!!

We started the day entering Glacier Bay National Park. I swear we got closer to Majorie Glacier than ever before. Definitely more calving than last year.

We went out to the bow at Lamplugh Glacier, then headed up to the Crow's Nest for the first part of Majorie, then since our balcony is starboard headed back to our cabin before they turned to resume viewing from our balcony. The best calving was actually the second half and I actually got quite a bit on my ipad in the form of video. Then at 12:30 met with Pathfinderess aka Melodie and husband Ron and dobiemom aka Marcia and had a nice lunch in the Pinnacle.

Tonight was most definitely the HIGHLIGHT of the cruise we were most honored to be invited to Dine at the Captains Table with With Captain Turner. What a wonderful evening!! There were three couple that were all from the UK that had all been on since Fort Lauderdale and Tom and I from the US, we had an amazing evening. The wines the Captain selected were excellent and the menu was very nice. I have to admit I was extremely impressed. We started out the evening at 6:45 meeting in the Explorers Lounge for cocktails and we we finishing up at 10 pm in the MDR. I could not have asked for a more perfect evening.

Tomorrow we are in Ketchikan for the full day which is quite nice, the plan is for several from our Roll Call to all meet for lunch an Annebelle's which is right across the street from where we are docked.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

Lisa, just before your arrival in Juneau weren't you supposed to cruise to Tracy Arm Fjord? I never saw any mention of it. Was it part of your itinerary? It is listed in mine later this month. thanks again, enjoying your review, just waiting to hear how you like the "Rack of Lamb", if they still offer it.

Chuck

Oosterdam was not able to go to Tracy Arm last week due to too much ice. They did a substitution but I forget the name of where.

Good Morning from the Zuiderdam as we are just arriving in Ketchikan Alaska. We are here with the Star Princess, Westerdam and it looks like Oceania Regatta.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368728265.762440.jpg.91ffdff6c4b3b632d6050de7ca35c61e.jpg

It is a very cool overcast day, So far no rain but it's early.

It was asked about going to Tracy Arm. The Zuiderdam never goes to Tracy Arm but starting next week if there are passengers signed up for the Shore Excursion that takes them into Tracy Arm then they do a service call. It is never offered the first week and probably due to the Ice Pack.

The detour from Tracy Arm is normally to Endicott Arm - does that sound familiar, S7S?

:) Yes, thank you.

That is what was substituted on Oosterdam for the too icy Tracy Arm.

We are not back to our cabin after a nice lunch then we walked to the other end down by pier one. I could have sworn we were docked closer to town this year but Yes I will admit I was wrong. The Zuiderdam is docked exactly where we were last year.

Hard To believe this 11 days is coming close to an end. :(

Tonight is our last meal in the MDR since we are eating in the Pinnacle in Friday night.

[ATTACH]271507[/ATTACH]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368744300.718866.jpg.b5586d9a954c08d1d6a5c8bae6ca87e5.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368744339.131889.jpg.b7622b57a3bd3befd837c2645f441452.jpg

I could have sworn we were docked closer to town this year but Yes I will admit I was wrong. The Zuiderdam is docked exactly where we were last year.

]

Looks like the same spot we were in - 2006 and 2010. Lovely town with a very interesting statue depicting all those early pioneers.

I hope you had chance to stop in at KetchiCandies for your last fix of authentic fudge and other chocolate treats made in their store on Mission Street. Their goodies are sinfully luscious and melt-in-your-mouth heaven. :)

I bought an assortment to take home with me but temptation overtook my good intentions and they never made it off the ship. :o Next time I'll need to buy more to share with friends and family at home.

Thursday May 16, 2013

Good Evening from the Zuiderdam as we make our way slowly doing some scenic cruising of the Inside Passage. We are currently not very far from Prince Rupert. The seas are so incredibly calm the only ripple is from the ship and we are going extremely slow. I keep thinking that certainly there will be a whale or two make an appearance. Last year I did not seen one I was just always at the wrong place at the wrong time, we did however see Orcas yesterday when we were in the Explorer's Lounge before dinner.

Today we had a nice day in Ketchikan. Did not start the day too early, the ship was not cleared to disembark till after 11am, we were meeting with several CCers as I mentioned earlier for lunch, it figures it had to be raining at the time we got off the ship. Thankfully the rain clouds went away after lunch and it actually clear up quite nicely. After lunch we walked to the the totally opposite end of town from where our ship was, then walked back.

Tonight was our last night in the MDR since we are dining in the Pinnacle tomorrow. So we said our good byes to Gani our very excellent and funny server that we have had since we boarded in San Diego. He was definitely one of the best waiters we have had for a while and he gave me a big hug. Tonight's dinner selection was just fair, nothing really jumped out at either of us, I ended up having this Crab and Shrimp Tower with avocado, not sure why they call in a tower , then ordered the French Onion Soup, then a salmon with Apricot sauce and soy.. Tom really found nothing that interested in so he had the Cesar Salad and the NY Steak.

Tonight was the VIP Party in the Crow's Nest so we headed up there after dinner, greeted all of the Officers then our friend Dustin who is the GRM came over and sat with us since this was really the first time all week we had much of a time to talk since he came on board in Vancouver.

Tonight is also the Dessert Extravaganza but I am already comfy in my PJs, Tom may go up there to see what there is but I am actually a bit tired of eating ;)

Now it's time to post this so I can curl up and continuing reading.

Signing off from the Beautiful and Elegant MS Zuiderdam.

Have a wonderful dinner tonight in the Pinnacle, Lisa and Tom!

Where do you fly home from?

Hi just a quick note sinced I just logged into Southwest for tomorrow. We are actually flying home from Seattle. It will be a very long day not getting home till 7:40 tomorrow night. We are taking the HAL Motor Coach to SeaTac in the morning. Then both Tom and I work on Sunday, back to realty quickly.

I will write up a final report later tonight :)

Hi just a quick note sinced I just logged into Southwest for tomorrow. We are actually flying home from Seattle. It will be a very long day not getting home till 7:40 tomorrow night. We are taking the HAL Motor Coach to SeaTac in the morning. Then both Tom and I work on Sunday, back to realty quickly.

I will write up a final report later tonight :)

Safe flt home on SW!

Archived