Roll Call Etiquette - What Would You Do?

sail7seas

[quote name='496and706']Peter beat me to the Beetle = bug.

Not that the VW Rabbit looks like a bunny, though.

The car makers must have loved Bugs Bunny. ;)[/quote]

[quote name='Copper10-8']

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Also known in Dutch as 'kever' which means..............'beetle' [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

thanks guys....huge big lightbulb just went off above my head, the one you always see in cartoons :o

Kever...of course!! Ah well. Everyone has his/her moments I guess.....

[quote name='Boytjie']I have never had a bad experience with the crew when they knew I was active on Cruise Critic, I have actually found the opposite.[/QUOTE]

Same experience here! I know several crew were following our roll call for our last Prinsendam cruise and on the Nieuw Amsterdam the captain was a huge follower of Cruise Critic and was reading my live reports:D

[quote name='kazu']Same experience here! I know several crew were following our roll call for our last Prinsendam cruise and on the Nieuw Amsterdam the captain was a huge follower of Cruise Critic and was reading my live reports:D[/QUOTE]

Yes..... I had that on Westerdam and I put it in my "live from". I referred to Captain Henk Keijer as a "[B]stone cold fox[/B]." Why did I do that? Because on vacation I do crazy things. Plus I never thought.... Next day I go to the Future Cruise Consultant. I buy two deposits. Long, fun chats with the consultant. They are then delivered to my cabin "From Mrs. S.C.F.". Part of me died a little bit at that moment... We ended up being friends- we were on a shorex that morning- what a SUPER girl she is- and if I could attach a picture of me on the bridge wearing Captain Henk's hat I would- it's in my review. So I certainly won't say that she said anything negative about CC- she didn't.

Others have. Them's the facts. :cool:

At our most recent meet and greet, the cruise director attended and was quite interested in CC. He said he had been following our roll call and recognized a number of the more active members by CC name.

DaveOKC

[B]Lots of HAL Officers read CC.

Some used to read and enjoy coming here but got tired of too much negativity it saddened them as they know how hard they and the whole crew work to give us the best cruise possible.

I know some folks who work(ed) in Seattle office and they too got tired of reading negativity.
I have found through my years on CC that is seems to go in cycles and is not necessarily related to the actual product HAL is producing at a given time. Sometimes it's the moon. :D Or other issues out of HAL's control but there does seem to be more positive and less positive cycles.

But, yes...... lots of those who work in cruise industry/for cruise lines read CC.

I used to write live from aboard threads but when I realized how many HAL people were reading, I found myself writing less from aboard. Seeing we are almost always so happy with our cruise experiences, I felt writing lots of positive comments could be misinterpreted to sound like I was 'looking for something' extra while aboard. That is the last thing I would want them thinking and I got uncomfortable praising people, in writing on a public internet forum , who I likely would see later that day or evening. Not to say we have anything against some nice treats...... :D :) Who doesn't like an extra treat of any sort? :)
It's just that I don't want to feel like they thought I was asking for them. :o

[/B]

Back to the OP's original question and concern.

[quote name='sail7seas']
[B]What I felt uncomfortable about was my fault, not hers.[/B]
[B]I had not signed up yet I accepted her invitation to attend. [/B]
[B]I should not have and that is why I ask what others would have done as I've felt bad about it since. :o[/B]

[/quote]

Although I have participated in the meet and greets since I have been active in Cruise Critic, I have always signed up in advance.

On the other hand if you show up when invited on the same day even if you did not sign up in advance, it is not like you are crashing a wedding which is costing the host another $150 per plate.

I have found the meet and greets to be relaxed and quite informal. And after all the OP has been a poster on the Cruise Critic roll call. It is not as though she is a complete stranger looking to grab a free door prize.

[quote name='Seago2']Yes..... I had that on Westerdam and I put it in my "live from". I referred to Captain Henk Keijer as a "[B]stone cold fox[/B]." Why did I do that? Because on vacation I do crazy things. Plus I never thought.... Next day I go to the Future Cruise Consultant. I buy two deposits. Long, fun chats with the consultant. They are then delivered to my cabin "From Mrs. S.C.F.". Part of me died a little bit at that moment... We ended up being friends- we were on a shorex that morning- what a SUPER girl she is- and if I could attach a picture of me on the bridge wearing Captain Henk's hat I would- it's in my review. So I certainly won't say that she said anything negative about CC- she didn't.

[SIZE=3]Others have. Them's the facts.[/SIZE] :cool:[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I bolded your last remark..Notice that most of your cruising has been on another line..Are you stating that you have actually heard HAL crew members make negative remarks about those of us who belong to Cruise Critic?[/SIZE][/FONT] :confused:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We have close to 300 days on HAL & more than 50 days on NCL & have never heard anything negative about Cruise Critic from either a HAL or NCL Crew Member! As a matter of fact we've always been welcomed aboard both lines..However, I do not advertise the fact that I belong to CC..The only way they would know is if I organize or attend a CC meet & greet..[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Now if someone tries to throw their weight around & brags about being a CC member, that might be another story..[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Cheers...:)Betty[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='serendipity1499']

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Now if someone tries to throw their weight around & brags about being a CC member, that might be another story..[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Cheers...:)Betty[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I'm really beginning to realize that I can't control where my weight is thrown, despite diet after diet....

I will not reveal my multiple sources under pain of death, period.

Don't feel bad. I'm sure that she loved having you or she wouldn't have asked. I'm not a very social person either but I find that the people who arrange M&G's tend to be super out going and social and really love doing them. I hope you had fun and made a friend. At the very least, you have a fun story to tell.:D

Don't feel bad. I'm sure that she loved having you or she wouldn't have asked. I'm not a very social person either but I find that the people who arrange M&G's tend to be super out going and social and really love doing them. I hope you had fun and made a friend. At the very least, you have a fun story to tell.:D

Thank you, cruisingberger.

What a lovely post. :)

I did enjoy myself and felt a nice start of friendship with the hostess/host. I'd be happy to see them again aboard another 'dam' ship.

I will not flame! No flameage. Yes, the crew doesn't like CC members AS A RULE, ok? This is true. I'm not going to quote the ten people off the top of my head who have told me this because I don't want to get them in trouble... Just- I keep my CC lanyard tucked in at this point. Usually. Anyway- who cares? I am looking for a lounger then because I don't go by the pool. I really do try to go to the M&G and as I said I have organized 9/10ths of the ones I've been to. I have two coming up and I have a sneaking feeling....

So will someone please answer me- what are the games?

Most CC members never even mention CruiseCritic while onboard. It is really a "non issue" after the M&G. I don't know how the crew would even know who is a member, or why they would care? All we do is get together to meet. We don't expect any preferential treatment. Most of the time lately, I don't even bring it up to the folks we meet at dinner. I just don't believe crew would look at CC negatively, unless they believe we are there to seriously criticize them! It just doesn't make sense! Unless the people on Carnival are the issue....it's not the HAL folks---that I know for sure!!

Lots of HAL Officers read CC.

Some used to read and enjoy coming here but got tired of too much negativity it saddened them as they know how hard they and the whole crew work to give us the best cruise possible.

I know some folks who work(ed) in Seattle office and they too got tired of reading negativity.

I have found through my years on CC that is seems to go in cycles and is not necessarily related to the actual product HAL is producing at a given time. Sometimes it's the moon. :D Or other issues out of HAL's control but there does seem to be more positive and less positive cycles.

But, yes...... lots of those who work in cruise industry/for cruise lines read CC.

I used to write live from aboard threads but when I realized how many HAL people were reading, I found myself writing less from aboard. Seeing we are almost always so happy with our cruise experiences, I felt writing lots of positive comments could be misinterpreted to sound like I was 'looking for something' extra while aboard. That is the last thing I would want them thinking and I got uncomfortable praising people, in writing on a public internet forum , who I likely would see later that day or evening. Not to say we have anything against some nice treats...... :D :) Who doesn't like an extra treat of any sort? :)

It's just that I don't want to feel like they thought I was asking for them. :o

Yes -- there a lot of Seattle HAL employees who do read this site as well as many crew members.

I have always felt that after our bad experience on the Noordam and a letter from Seattle that didn't address our issues, we feel like we are being "banned" or maybe "ignored" by HAL.

And as you know we are still in search of another cruise line.

When we realized too late that we weren't even given surveys to complete for our cruise -- well -- I shall not say anything more.

Thus we cruise even less on HAL -- and it is not all due to health conditions.

I gotta tell you if I found out Sail was on my ship and I was organizing a M&G I'd do everything I could to get her there!

It would definately be an upgrade! Kind of like inviting Martha Stewart to your daughter's wedding reception! :D:D:D

I don't blame her one bit for inviting Sail! I do however think that Sails' DH was the smart one for remaining incognito... it's less risky!

I prefer to remain faceless and relax!

Great thread!

Ok- back from Mother's Day dinner that I cooked and cleaned up- these cruises can't come fast enough AHEM-

Serendipity, if you're still after me like a dog with a bone with that question, I'm still not answering.

Question: has a HAL crew member or employee ever made a disparaging remark about Cruisecritic?

I'm not going to answer that.

Question: has a crew member or employee of any other cruise line ever made a disparaging remark about Cruisecritic?

Ok! Happy? I'm so glad I got to practice law 11 hours earlier than I thought I would have to! Are we clear yet?

I gotta tell you if I found out Sail was on my ship and I was organizing a M&G I'd do everything I could to get her there!

It would definately be an upgrade! Kind of like inviting Martha Stewart to your daughter's wedding reception! :D:D:D

I don't blame her one bit for inviting Sail! I do however think that Sails' DH was the smart one for remaining incognito... it's less risky!

Great thread!

Hey, Kevin! How are you? Good to see you here again...

Ok- back from Mother's Day dinner that I cooked and cleaned up- these cruises can't come fast enough AHEM-

Serendipity, if you're still after me like a dog with a bone with that question, I'm still not answering.

Question: has a HAL crew member or employee ever made a disparaging remark about Cruisecritic?

Question: has a crew member or employee of any other cruise line ever made a disparaging remark about Cruisecritic?

Ok! Happy? I'm so glad I got to practice law 11 hours earlier than I thought I would have to! Are we clear yet?

OK understand you don't wish to answer the

question which you originally posted as a fact in two places on this HAL thread..

I realize there are those who like to make statements just to provoke an argument..Then there are some of us who have the audacity to question & ask for proof of facts unequivocally stated..

Guess I should learn to accept that some posters have fun by stating facts which may or may not be true just to get a rise out of others..

Case closed!

P.S. I was on the debating team at school

Great thread!

I would much rather meet Sail at a M&G than have Martha Stewart at my daughters wedding .:)

Sail is a very respected member of CC and is always gracious and generous with advice and information she has gathered over many cruises.

I would love to sit and hear of some of her many adventures .

Remember the old "Lucy" shows , when she played an ordinary person but somehow managed to get Ethel Merman to sing at her son's Boy Scout show, or Dean Martin to be her date for the Ladies Club dance ? Or go to a party with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton? that is the kind of Coup it is to have Sail at your Meet and Greet :) *LOL*

Wow......

What did I ever do right for the two of you to be so generous to me?

I was having a 'kinda crummy day' but you both have definitely turned it around. :)

Thank you so much.

You have now contributed to the big head DH will have to deal with tonight when he comes home thinking I've made dinner for him. Dinner? Me, cook? I'm a Princess....... no more cooking!!!! :D

You two are on my GREAT list. :)

Wow......

What did I ever do right for the two of you to be so generous to me?

I was having a 'kinda crummy day' but you both have definitely turned it around. :)

Thank you so much.

You have now contributed to the big head DH will have to deal with tonight when he comes home thinking I've made dinner for him. Dinner? Me, cook? I'm a Princess....... no more cooking!!!! :D

You two are on my GREAT list. :)

Quick! Go hire some servants and a chef!, your majesty. He'll understand.

Hey, Kevin! How are you? Good to see you here again...

HI, Sheila!!!!

I've been working too hard...!!! I have got to stop that, and get cruising!!!

My DH came home from college friday, so I'll be "nesting" all summer... plenty of time for CC!!!

(Loved your message!!!:))

Archived