Disappointed with RCCL

I wonder what they would change the description to, if they do indeed change it. Chair-beds? Pull-out chairs? They should obviously change it to something, but I can't think of a name they'd give it that won't result in a lot more confusion. The confusion alone might be reason enough for them not to change it, even though they obviously should.

Fold out chair bed, perhaps?

When I google that, I get reasonablly similar images (but newer and less worn;))

Yes, clearly Royal Caribbean thinks that a sofa is a chair.

No one thinks that. They just don't seem to care.

As I and many others have written on this thread, NO ONE should have to sleep on that THING in Laura's picture.

Oh, I think a small child would be OK on that fold out chair. Of course, as a child I spent many nights on relative's and friend's floors.

Still, I think the adult doing the booking should know what to expect from their cabin.

Reading this thread brought tears to my eyes and at the same time gave me a feeling of hope that maybe RCI will do right by you and your family. I am so sorry this happened to you.

Space is so limited on the ships that RCI can't afford a mismatch like what happened here, especially for those who have special needs. When it comes to someone in a wheelchair or the like, there needs to be both the accommodations and the space for accessibility, no excuses. And the information about the cabin needs to be absolutely clear and correct at the time of booking. Let's hope this is the last time something like this ever happens to anyone.

Thank you:)

Oh, I think a small child would be OK on that fold out chair. Of course, as a child I spent many nights on relative's and friend's floors.

Still, I think the adult doing the booking should know what to expect from their cabin.

I assume that your friends and relatives weren't charging you $150 or more a night plus gratuities. ;)

Laurac22 - Thank you for posting this. I feel I am one of the many silent readers who very seldom participate....but, I am very grateful for this information. My DH has recently has become limited, needing oxygen, but still wants to cruise. Your treatment, (and that of your son, and husband), will make a big impact on our choice of carrier! I've slept on those kinds of chairs, many times in the hospital, and have no desire to use them again. Thank you! Silver

Laurac22 - Thank you for posting this. I feel I am one of the many silent readers who very seldom participate....but, I am very grateful for this information. My DH has recently has become limited, needing oxygen, but still wants to cruise. Your treatment, (and that of your son, and husband), will make a big impact on our choice of carrier! I've slept on those kinds of chairs, many times in the hospital, and have no desire to use them again. Thank you! Silver

I'm glad I could help, even in just a small way. I'm glad your husband wants to continue cruising. We feel cruising (usually) is one of best vacations for special needs passengers. It's just very important to make very sure what you are getting!

Best wishes

I assume that your friends and relatives weren't charging you $150 or more a night plus gratuities. ;)

Exactly!!! I have always thought very highly of RCCL, but this entire issue really annoys me due to the fact that my MIL has mobility issues and I would never consider putting her into this chair or a rollaway for that matter.

Fold out chair bed, perhaps?

When I google that, I get reasonablly similar images (but newer and less worn;))

Probably more like Twin Sofabed or Single Sofabed. Once it's made up with bedding, it's not much different than a twin bed. Their full-size sofa beds pull out much the same way and are (IMO) pretty comfortable. I understand why it was not acceptable for the OP's situation, though.

Haha. Now that you mention it, knowing how much food I could eat and how much milk I'd drink as a kid, objective strangers might have thought that a fair rate;)...Still those who loved me have not yet sent any bills. Is there a statue of limitations on such bills? Hope so...if those bills all come in now, they could really eat into my cruising funds:eek:

My only point was, were I booking a cabin for parents with a four year old, that chair bed might seem as better than some bedding options (such as a pullman or higher sofa bed) for the child. So, it might be ok if the parents knew what they were buying; the OP had neither a small child nor accurate advanced knowledge of the bedding. Whether the OP paid $50 or $150 per night for the third person in the cabin, the OP deserved to know what the OP was buying.

Probably more like Twin Sofabed or Single Sofabed. Once it's made up with bedding, it's not much different than a twin bed. Their full-size sofa beds pull out much the same way and are (IMO) pretty comfortable. I understand why it was not acceptable for the OP's situation, though.

I think they should eliminate all references to "sofa" I think most people have a picture in mind when they think of a sofa. I think it should state "chair" in the description. JMHO:)

While the full-size sofa bed pulls out in a similar fashion there is a significant difference in the result. With a sofa-bed the seat and the back pull out to form a 2 part sleeping surface with the split running the length of the bed - parallel to the sleeper(s). With a bed-chair the front, seat and back pull out to form a 3 part surface with the splits running across (perpendicular) to the sleeper. It makes for a remarkably awkward and less stable bed. One that is much less comfortable than a sofa-bed. I've slept on both and don't have any issues with a sofa-bed. I would never choose to sleep on a chair-bed again.

I think they should eliminate all references to "sofa" I think most people have a picture in mind when they think of a sofa. I think it should state "chair" in the description. JMHO:)

I agree. To call the contraption a sofa in the first place really pushes the definition as it would only comfortably sit two pre-teens or smaller adults. Chair is a really good description and chair-bed would then give consumers a very accurate understanding of what was offered.

We don't require accessible cabins, but we've encountered similar miscommunications between the Special Needs Dept. and ship personnel. My husband is hearing-disabled, and I'd read on Cruise Critic that RCI offers special equipment to make an ordinary room suitable for him. About 3 months before our last cruise, I contacted the Special Needs Dept. (as directed by C&A) and they confirmed the equipment would be in our cabin when we arrived. Surprise--it was not.

Our cabin steward had never heard of such equipment, but Guest Relations said they'd send an engineer up to install it. After several hours, we called GR again and were transferred to Housekeeping. We eventually just gave up. As it happened, we met the Head of Housekeeping at an on-board event later in the cruise. When I mentioned the equipment, his response was, "Oh yeah, we have those, but they don't work!"

My husband is hearing-disabled, and I'd read on Cruise Critic that RCI offers special equipment to make an ordinary room suitable for him.

What kind of special equipment does a hearing-disabled person need to make a room suitable?

We don't require accessible cabins, but we've encountered similar miscommunications between the Special Needs Dept. and ship personnel. My husband is hearing-disabled, and I'd read on Cruise Critic that RCI offers special equipment to make an ordinary room suitable for him. About 3 months before our last cruise, I contacted the Special Needs Dept. (as directed by C&A) and they confirmed the equipment would be in our cabin when we arrived. Surprise--it was not.

Our cabin steward had never heard of such equipment, but Guest Relations said they'd send an engineer up to install it. After several hours, we called GR again and were transferred to Housekeeping. We eventually just gave up. As it happened, we met the Head of Housekeeping at an on-board event later in the cruise. When I mentioned the equipment, his response was, "Oh yeah, we have those, but they don't work!"

Oh this really upsets me!! I am so sorry that happened to you. That is just unexceptable. I think it is pure laziness, I think they just don't want to bother trying to get and figure out what to do with it. I also think its ignorance to the disability. People that are not in the situation, can not understand what it means to the disabled person. In your case how would they like to no be able to hear, I think they think the equipment would just be a luxury! Just like when my son goes places and transfers out of his wheelchair, everyone wants to remove it out of the way and take it away. Well that chair is his legs, how would they like to be trapped without their legs? This just makes me so mad!!

The equipment that is supposed to make a standard room comfortable for a hearing-disabled person is: setting the TV for closed captions, connecting a loud doorbell to the cabin door, wiring that makes the phone and smoke alarm flash bright red, and connecting a "buzzer thing-y" that shakes the bed if the phone rings or smoke alarm goes off (to waken the guest during the night).

The equipment that is supposed to make a standard room comfortable for a hearing-disabled person is: setting the TV for closed captions, connecting a loud doorbell to the cabin door, wiring that makes the phone and smoke alarm flash bright red, and connecting a "buzzer thing-y" that shakes the bed if the phone rings or smoke alarm goes off (to waken the guest during the night).

I would think all these things make for a more relaxed, comfortable trip for him. Is this standard ADA equipment? Are the cruise lines required to have them available?

Interesting. I looked up the Special Needs request form and it includes as one of the options:

Portable Hearing Room Kit

A portable hearing room kit in guests stateroom is available upon request. It includes a visual/tactile alert system that provides alerts for door knocking, telephone ringing, alarm clock and smoke detector.

If you requested that in advance, it sounds like they dropped the ball, for sure.

Edited by Paul65

So, Laurac22 -- no answer yet? Another week has gone by and no response? How very .....unresponsive or caring. Not a good sign.

No, I have not received anything in writing yet. I was told that by law they had 30 days to get it to me. I have no idea what they are putting in writing, It seems that others have gotten there issues resolved just over the phone. I hope to find out something soon.

Thanks for checking

I check on a daily basis. As DH's health improves, we are contemplating another cruise. We need to know how (and when), this matter is resolved. Again, thank you, and many good wishes to you and your family.

I will keep you posted. I understand the importance to you and people in your situation. I'm trying to be patient:)

I'm so sorry to hear about the problem you experienced. I'd suggest always checking with past cruisers here on Cruise Critic before booking a room. I know this advice doesn't make up for the poor experience you had, but it would help give you some piece of mind in booking future sailings on all cruise lines.

If there isn't a special thread that exists already that provides a forum especially for those with disabilities, I hope the moderators start one. No one should have to experience what your family did when there are other cruisers more than happy to share info about things like cabin facilities.

I think I would have had the cabin steward split up the queen for your son and spouse and taken the sofa chair for myself. But then there shouldn't have been anyone inconvenienced when you had been told there was a full sofabed before the booking. Good to hear that the steward did all he could to make your son comfortable.

Please don't let this experience steer you away from cruising.

I'm so sorry to hear about the problem you experienced. I'd suggest always checking with past cruisers here on Cruise Critic before booking a room. I know this advice doesn't make up for the poor experience you had, but it would help give you some piece of mind in booking future sailings on all cruise lines.

If there isn't a special thread that exists already that provides a forum especially for those with disabilities, I hope the moderators start one. No one should have to experience what your family did when there are other cruisers more than happy to share info about things like cabin facilities.

I think I would have had the cabin steward split up the queen for your son and spouse and taken the sofa chair for myself. But then there shouldn't have been anyone inconvenienced when you had been told there was a full sofabed before the booking. Good to hear that the steward did all he could to make your son comfortable.

Please don't let this experience steer you away from cruising.

Thanks,yes unfortunately I did not find CC until after I booked my cruise, and all the pictures I saw of cabin 166 on different decks showed pictures of sofas, not chairs.

We did ask that the beds be separated, We were told that they couldn't do that in our cabin. We left for muster and came back and they had already started making up the bed. We didn't say anything, because we still had hope that they might find somewhere to move us, as we were told.

There is a disabled thread here on CC, I just didn't find anything about our cabin before we sailed. Trust me I will never book again without pictures of the cabin and very clear details!

Don't worry this experience will not keep us from cruising. In fact my husband just surprised me with a cruise in January for our 20TH anniversary. He's started saving a while back, the same time we were saving for my sons cruise. I had no idea. He was going to make all the plans, but after what happened he does not want to take responsibility for it, so he told me. LOL I guess I'll be planning my own anniversary trip. I just pray it turns out better than this last one! We are hoping to do a redo for my son sometime too. Just not on Oasis or Allure as we've been told there are NO accommodations that fit our needs on them. REALLY??? Worlds largest cruise ships and they have NO accessible ocean view balcony cabins that sleep three without that sorry excuse of a chair as a bed. Sorry still a little bitter about that.

If you sell a product you should know your product. I've spoken to many reps who do not know their ships. I actually do my own research and have informed sales reps how some of the ships are actually set up. You should contact Mr. Goldstein . He knows his product and what a customer should experience.