Disappointed with RCCL

If you sell a product you should know your product. I've spoken to many reps who do not know their ships. I actually do my own research and have informed sales reps how some of the ships are actually set up. You should contact Mr. Goldstein . He knows his product and what a customer should experience.

I know this is a very long thread, so I understand you not getting to all of it:) I have contacted A Goldstien. I am waiting for a resolution in writing, hopefully soon.

Thanks

First, I have traveled with family member and have had Accessible cabins 2 times. They were both not as described but they were much better than the standard cabins. That said....Many years ago, we were booking on the Norway (NCL), the cabins on her were a nightmare. If you wanted to know what a cabin was like (almost everyone was different) you needed to ask for a description of that individual cabin, NOT the cabin class or even the class and deck location. It was tough to find cabins that did meet your needs but the TYAs and reps knew those cabins...this was before all the computer deck plans, etc!!! I do not understand how, with all the technology we now have, each individual ship could not keep up their "catalog" on line as changes were made. Pics and descriptions could be made before first sailing and someone on ship could have the job of updates say monthly. Seems like it would work. Closet pics, BR pics, Balcony view pics, and exact layout of cabins. I guess I am dreaming...

Wow, Laura so sorry. I agree that we are spending thousands of dollars on these cruises and plan way in advance. We are choosing cabins on the information we receive from them and if the decision is based on incorrect information it can be devastating. I am looking at booking on the Oasis for next year with my grandchildren and I certainly don't want this to happen to me. I agree with the person that said you should write a letter and go higher up. So sorry you had to go through this. It's very sad to hear.:(

Wow, Laura so sorry. I agree that we are spending thousands of dollars on these cruises and plan way in advance. We are choosing cabins on the information we receive from them and if the decision is based on incorrect information it can be devastating. I am looking at booking on the Oasis for next year with my grandchildren and I certainly don't want this to happen to me. I agree with the person that said you should write a letter and go higher up. So sorry you had to go through this. It's very sad to hear.:(

If you are booking an accessible cabin, make sure you know what your getting. It should not be a problem for you otherwise. Well maybe thats not true, there have been a few on here lately that were not given the right information about a cabin! Huh.

I did sent a letter a letter to upper management, and am still waiting for a resolution. I have to say with each day that passes I lose a little faith that anything is going to come of my complaint. I would imagine with the fire, they are very busy right now, as they should be. I'm sure my problem doesn't seem as important under the circumstances.

We're still waiting for a response to you, Laura, and for a sensible resolution/settlement offer. Yes, reacting to the fire may be of paramount importance right now, BUT I sincerely hope you and your family will be compensated for the hardship and inconvenience. If not, we'll know to continue to look at other cruise lines. Good wishes to you and your family. Silver

We're still waiting for a response to you, Laura, and for a sensible resolution/settlement offer. Yes, reacting to the fire may be of paramount importance right now, BUT I sincerely hope you and your family will be compensated for the hardship and inconvenience. If not, we'll know to continue to look at other cruise lines. Good wishes to you and your family. Silver

Thank you for your caring of our situation. I sure hope we hear something soon. I also hope you can go on to make plans for a wonderful cruise vacation:)

That would mean that each and every RCI rep would have to board each and every RCI ship and inspect each and every cabin category to be properly informed of their contents.:eek:

The reps go by the planning guide, the same planning guide that Travel Agents and Loyalty Ambassadors use when someone books a cruise on board. If the guide is wrong it certainly isn't the reps fault.

that is true.

but it is a shame that you didn't enjoy your cruise. I found talking with the Loyalty People really helped us out of a major problem before our last cruise. So much so we stopped using a travel agent and are just using RCCl in future. Hope your situation does sort itself out real soon to your satisfaction.

Edited by Folk Singer

that is true.

but it is a shame that you didn't enjoy your cruise. I found talking with the Loyalty People really helped us out of a major problem before our last cruise. So much so we stopped using a travel agent and are just using RCCl in future. Hope your situation does sort itself out real soon to your satisfaction.

I'm glad Loyalty worked for you, but when I went to Loyalty on the ship after our problem they were clueless!! Even thanked me for coming by, because she said she learned something new. I was so glad she learned something about her job at our expense! Sorry a bit snarky right?

I'm glad Loyalty worked for you, but when I went to Loyalty on the ship after our problem they were clueless!! Even thanked me for coming by, because she said she learned something new. I was so glad she learned something about her job at our expense! Sorry a bit snarky right?

no not at all. Our reservation got magically cancelled by a glitch.

I hope you hear from Royal soon about your problem. Even though I don't need an accessible cabin, I always choose carefully and would be upset to walk in and find something less or substantially different than that which I booked and paid for.

I found Royal Caribbean to be responsive to an issue we had in the past. I communicated by snail mail, and if I recall it took about 6 weeks for a response.

I am sorry things weren't as you expected them to be and given the circumstances, I, too would be upset. I guess I don't understand a couple of things, so please help me. I do have to say I only read through page 6 and the last page to this point.

I wouldn't put anyone in the chair that was where you were expected to put your son. Was there, or was there not a pullman bed where you could have slept? Why did you not insist your steward separate the beds? I know you said you didn't want to cause trouble, but given the circumstances, that would have been my first thought. Dh sleeps on one and son on the other.

I would have, if it were my situation, had the beds separated, and if no pullman bed for me to sleep in, then I would have slept in the chair/rollaway.

What I am saying is NOT ideal and I would never have chosen that, but to me, it would have been a better situation for the week. I do agree RCCL has to take some responsibility and tell guests that the "sofa bed" is a chair, not a bed.

I also know that the ships sail full and that handicapped cabins are not easy to get. I say that based on my father's cruises when he needed one.

I do feel empathy for you, and believe me, I am not trying to make light of this situation, but I just don't understand why you and your husband could not have had the beds split, as it says on the description, unless that too is BS, and part of this problem might have been alleviated. I know I wouldn't have wanted to sleep in a pullman all week either.

I hope you get things worked out to your satisfaction and that the descriptions of cabins gets to be what is actually in them. I await your reply from RCCL. Good luck!

I am sorry things weren't as you expected them to be and given the circumstances, I, too would be upset. I guess I don't understand a couple of things, so please help me. I do have to say I only read through page 6 and the last page to this point.

I wouldn't put anyone in the chair that was where you were expected to put your son. Was there, or was there not a pullman bed where you could have slept? Why did you not insist your steward separate the beds? I know you said you didn't want to cause trouble, but given the circumstances, that would have been my first thought. Dh sleeps on one and son on the other.

I would have, if it were my situation, had the beds separated, and if no pullman bed for me to sleep in, then I would have slept in the chair/rollaway.

What I am saying is NOT ideal and I would never have chosen that, but to me, it would have been a better situation for the week. I do agree RCCL has to take some responsibility and tell guests that the "sofa bed" is a chair, not a bed.

I also know that the ships sail full and that handicapped cabins are not easy to get. I say that based on my father's cruises when he needed one.

I do feel empathy for you, and believe me, I am not trying to make light of this situation, but I just don't understand why you and your husband could not have had the beds split, as it says on the description, unless that too is BS, and part of this problem might have been alleviated. I know I wouldn't have wanted to sleep in a pullman all week either.

I hope you get things worked out to your satisfaction and that the descriptions of cabins gets to be what is actually in them. I await your reply from RCCL. Good luck!

The OP has addressed your comments, so you might find reading the entire thread helpful.

How each of us might act in particular situations really depends on the actual circumstances at that time. It seems to me that none of us can really understand all the factors others have to take into account when dealing with unfortunate circumstances. And, unless one has been in a very similar situation, I doubt anyone truly knows how they will react when faced with a surprising set of circumstances. As the saying goes, hindsight is twenty - twenty.

The OP has addressed your comments, so you might find reading the entire thread helpful.

How each of us might act in particular situations really depends on the actual circumstances at that time. It seems to me that none of us can really understand all the factors others have to take into account when dealing with unfortunate circumstances. And, unless one has been in a very similar situation, I doubt anyone truly knows how they will react when faced with a surprising set of circumstances. As the saying goes, hindsight is twenty - twenty.

I did read the whole thread, thank you. I did see where she said that she didn't push having the beds split. My question was if the steward tried to be helpful, as he seemed to have been, why didn't he split the beds or is that another thing in the description that says twins can be made into a queen? If that is also wrong, that should be addressed with RCCL.

Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote. I am not trying to give the OP a hard time as I certainly believe she had a hard enough time already. I never realized that the cabin descriptions would say one thing and then be something totally opposite. I feel she is owed more than what she received and I hope she gets it. I am NOT saying this is a frivolous complaint as many on here are.

I did read the whole thread, thank you. I did see where she said that she didn't push having the beds split. My question was if the steward tried to be helpful, as he seemed to have been, why didn't he split the beds or is that another thing in the description that says twins can be made into a queen? If that is also wrong, that should be addressed with RCCL.

Perhaps you should re-read what I wrote. I am not trying to give the OP a hard time as I certainly believe she had a hard enough time already. I never realized that the cabin descriptions would say one thing and then be something totally opposite. I feel she is owed more than what she received and I hope she gets it. I am NOT saying this is a frivolous complaint as many on here are.

I've have been following this thread. I am sympathetic to Laura's problem.

To me, the fundamental problem is that a handicapped accessible room is ill-sized to allow three people to sleep there, whether you use the chair bed (designed, apparently, by out of work folks from the Inquisition) or a sofa bed. Once you put a third person in the room, the ability to move a wheelchair about is greatly diminished. The desk chair, the coffee table, etc., all are obstacles someone in a chair, especially in the dark, at night, trying to navigate to the bathroom. I understand why Laura and her family stayed three to a room, and I take as a given to this problem that RCI thinks that this room will accomodate 3 people, one of whom is in a wheelchair. Mr. Goldstein or his designee should try navigating the room in a wheel chair.

I had my own issues with RCI, which has, so far, not responded. Mine pale in comparison to Laura's.

Splitting the two beds into twins reduces space for wheelchair access even more.

I can understand RCI not having any other rooms, but I do not understand why RCI did not simply remove the chair bed, and other extraneous furniture, and move in a rollaway or spare twin bed. The steward tried his best, but someone in authority could have seen other solutions.

Once the problem was not solved, it is not at all surprising to me that RCI has yet to address the solution. Were I running things, I would say we promised these folks three beds. They got two. We didn't solve the problem. Here is $X back or here is a future cruise coupon for x% off a future cruise. And been done with it.

Hi Katie, Thank you for your post.:)I have explained in past posts, that we asked that the beds be split and the potential for using the pullman. We were told it could not be done in this accessible cabin. Then while out for muster they started making the bed for my son. We where trying to keep some sort of double bed for him, as I've explained he has terrible involuntary tremors and movement while sleeping and we were concerned about anything to narrow that he could fall out of. It is also very difficult for us to sleep with him in the same bed for the same issues I just mentioned. None of us would have gotten any sleep. The bed they built for him turned out to be like a double bed and except for a slight slant worked out well for sleep. The problem then was we had no room to turn around, we had no sofa to sit on, we had no table or nightstand. The phone that should have sat on a table next to the bed now sat on the floor under the beds. We ate on our beds. It was all just very inconvenient and not what I would have ever payed thousands of dollars for.

I know our situation is confusing for anyone that isn't living it, and it may seem to many that there could have been an easy fix, but trust me our son is our number one priority and I would have slept on a lounge chair if it would have made a difference in our case.

If we would have gotten what was promised we would have been fine!

I've have been following this thread. I am sympathetic to Laura's problem.

I had my own issues with RCI, which has, so far, not responded. Mine pale in comparison to Laura's.

Splitting the two beds into twins reduces space for wheelchair access even more.

Once the problem was not solved, it is not at all surprising to me that RCI has yet to address the solution. Were I running things, I would say we promised these folks three beds. They got two. We didn't solve the problem. Here is $X back or here is a future cruise coupon for x% off a future cruise. And been done with it.

I, too, am very sympathetic to Laura's concerns. Certainly splitting the bed and also trying to use the chair bed would leave very little floor space. On the other hand, splitting the beds and using a Pullman bed would maximize the usable floor space (depending upon the layout of the room). For example, one twin against a wall with Pullman above at night. The other twin against another wall, leaving a wide center aisle between them. Perhaps a medical or communication issue kept that from happening. If the cabin steward got the impression that the young man absolutely needed an extra wide bed and the adults wanted the queen bed, that would explain why he built an extra wide bed rather than fining a twin size roll away.

I, too, am very sympathetic to Laura's concerns. Certainly splitting the bed and also trying to use the chair bed would leave very little floor space. On the other hand, splitting the beds and using a Pullman bed would maximize the usable floor space (depending upon the layout of the room). For example, one twin against a wall with Pullman above at night. The other twin against another wall, leaving a wide center aisle between them. Perhaps a medical or communication issue kept that from happening. If the cabin steward got the impression that the young man absolutely needed an extra wide bed and the adults wanted the queen bed, that would explain why he built an extra wide bed rather than fining a twin size roll away.

As I understand Laura's story, absolutely no communication problem occurred. RCI told Laura the room came with the two twin beds plus a sofa bed, and that, as such, it was suitable for use as a handicapped room. RCI collected full price for this. It was RCI's job to deliver what it promised.

That RCI doesn't know what furniture is in its rooms, especially in a handicapped room, is exclusively RCI's problem.

Neither Laura nor her DH should be required to use a Pullman or two to accomodate RCI's error. They could chose to do so, much like they chose to try to work things out and the cabin steward tried his best. Laura and her family don't have to trash their own vacation because RCI did not get the furniture right. That does not change the fact that the room was not equipped as represented. RCI needs to come to grips with that essential fact and make amends. I would not pay for something I did not get and neither should Laura.

As I understand this thread, Laura explained what she did to try to make the best of a difficult situation. The thread, however, is about how RCI has not yet stepped up to the plate. RCI collected full price for a handicapped room with a queen bed and a sofa bed. The cruise is over, and RCI did not remedy its error while the cruisers were on board, and has not made amends now.

Laura and her family don't have to trash their own vacation because RCI did not get the furniture right. That does not change the fact that the room was not equipped as represented. RCI needs to come to grips with that essential fact and make amends. I would not pay for something I did not get and neither should Laura.

As I understand this thread, Laura explained what she did to try to make the best of a difficult situation. The thread, however, is about how RCI has not yet stepped up to the plate. RCI collected full price for a handicapped room with a queen bed and a sofa bed. The cruise is over, and RCI did not remedy its error while the cruisers were on board, and has not made amends now.

I totally agree, and the longer RCI declines to answer and resolve, the lower my opinion of their service becomes. Sad, RCI, sad and poor response. Silver

As I understand Laura's story, absolutely no communication problem occurred. RCI told Laura the room came with the two twin beds plus a sofa bed, and that, as such, it was suitable for use as a handicapped room. RCI collected full price for this. It was RCI's job to deliver what it promised.

That RCI doesn't know what furniture is in its rooms, especially in a handicapped room, is exclusively RCI's problem.

Neither Laura nor her DH should be required to use a Pullman or two to accomodate RCI's error. They could chose to do so, much like they chose to try to work things out and the cabin steward tried his best. Laura and her family don't have to trash their own vacation because RCI did not get the furniture right. That does not change the fact that the room was not equipped as represented. RCI needs to come to grips with that essential fact and make amends. I would not pay for something I did not get and neither should Laura.

Very well said.

Thank you! I really appreciate the support from you and all the other CC members. I'm humbled that you would take time out of your busy lives to support me here. I still have not heard anything from RCL. Their 30 day time limit(by law) is almost up. I do hope I hear from them soon.

Thank you! I really appreciate the support from you and all the other CC members. I'm humbled that you would take time out of your busy lives to support me here. I still have not heard anything from RCL. Their 30 day time limit(by law) is almost up. I do hope I hear from them soon.

Perhaps I overlooked something...what is the 30-day legal time limit you're referring to?

Thanks!

I believe many of us are almost as anxious as you, Laura. The clock is ticking, and I, for one, am already disappointed that you and your family's situation is being delayed and ignored. Shame on RCL. Silver

Thanks!

Perhaps I overlooked something...what is the 30-day legal time limit you're referring to?

Thanks!

I believe they are handling this as a ADA complaint, because we were in an accessible cabin. The person I'm dealing with stated that they have by law 30 days to contact me in writing outlining what their findings were and how they plan to rectify the problems in my complaint.

Truly I don't believe this is an accessible problem as much as just a problem with RCL's plans all together. I would not have been happy being told I was going to have a sofa bed, and show up and get that chair no matter what cabin I was in, Accessible or not.