newbie embarkation question

arsenalboy

We are travelling on our first cruise in two weeks time on the Eclipse ex Southampton on the Baltic itinerary.

We are booked Concierge class with its priority bits and pieces. We are UK based and have reserved parking at the port, because of this we have no real luggage constraints.

Question. Once you have boarded when do you have access to your cabin? We will be early boarders and I am contemplating taking a couple of suit carriers that I would not trust to porters, but don't fancy walking around with them on board for a couple of hours either!!

Are cabins always available to allow you to deposit carry on luggage as soon as you board? How long does it take them to deliver your suitcases anyway if you are early on the boat?

Looking forward to my Celebrity experience.

jim

If you are coming by car its dead easy. You will arrive via Dock Gate 8 (there are illuminated signs as you get near the port) to the City Cruise terminal on Herbert Walker Ave. They will direct you to where the porters take your luggage, then you will drive to the car park and walk back to the terminal (so if the weather looks a bit iffy, take a brolly!). Any bags etc you have will go through an airport style x ray, then you queue up for check in. Boarding starts normally about 11 - 1130, BUT you can't access your cabin until at least 1pm (there will be an announcement), so anything you carry on you have to keep with you until then. We have always been very lucky with our cases which are normally delivered by 4pm (sometimes earlier), but don't panic if they are not there until 8pm! Have fun...its a great cruise (did it 3 years ago!).

Simon

On the last couple of cruises I have been on, we have not had access to our cabins until about 1:30pm. I'm not sure it makes a difference what type of cabin you have. They close off the cabin areas so that the cabin stewards can prepare the rooms for the turn-around. It is a busy day for them.

It used to be that you could swing by your cabin and drop off your carry on luggage, but the cruises we've been in the last couple of years the bulkhead/fire doors have been locked, so you can't access any of the cabins. You could always plan to arrive at the port at 1PM... by the time you get on your cabin should be ready!

They close off the cabin areas so that the cabin stewards can prepare the rooms for the turn-around. It is a busy day for them.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. As a matter of interest how many cabins does a cabin steward look after? How much of their time can you expect?

Did some interesting maths. I have prepaid gratuities to enable select dining. I have been charged 4USD per day per person, so for my cabin the steward gets 112 USD for the 2 weeks. If he does 10 cabins he can expect over a grand in US dollars on top of his wage for the cruise. Based on that I guess they don't have many cabins each? Just curious!

jim

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. As a matter of interest how many cabins does a cabin steward look after? How much of their time can you expect?

Did some interesting maths. I have prepaid gratuities to enable select dining. I have been charged 4USD per day per person, so for my cabin the steward gets 112 USD for the 2 weeks. If he does 10 cabins he can expect over a grand in US dollars on top of his wage for the cruise. Based on that I guess they don't have many cabins each? Just curious!

jim

Hi Jim,:) I don't know the currency change from US to Pounds....but

I can tell the cabin attendants normally have way more than 10

cabins each:eek:.....they bust their butts off...How much time can

you expect? They clean your cabin twice a day and if you need

extra things? Just ask....

As for the "wages" they make from the cruise line?:confused:......those wages

are very small.......:eek:

Staterooms might not be ready until 1:30 or 2

You will have two people servicing your stateroom, not just one. The main steward and the assistant. They are there twice a day, but are actually on duty for approximately 12 hours all told, and will be cleaning the bathroom, turning down the bed, vacuuming, washing windows, delivering room service, and many other duties. Their actual salaries from the cruise line are small. Don't be surprised if at the end of the cruise you are moved to give them something extra on top of what you have pre-paid, once you see how hard they work!

Staterooms might not be ready until 1:30 or 2

You will have two people servicing your stateroom, not just one. The main steward and the assistant. They ate there twice a day, but are actually on duty for approximately 12 hours all told, and will be cleaning the bathroom, turning down the bed, vacuuming, washing windows, delivering room service, and many other duties. Their actual salaries from the cruise line are small. Don't be surprised if at tge end of the cruise you are moved to give them something extra on top of what you have pre-paid, once you see how hard they work!

Hi Cruisestich:).....have a question....reading your post...they

ate where twice a day?:eek:.....I am guessing you meant the ARE

there twice a day;)

Good catch, and I was within the time limit to edit so I was able to fix both typos . Thanks!

I was reading and thought that had to be "ARE"....;):D:)

If you are coming by car its dead easy. You will arrive via Dock Gate 8 (there are illuminated signs as you get near the port) to the City Cruise terminal on Herbert Walker Ave. They will direct you to where the porters take your luggage, then you will drive to the car park and walk back to the terminal (so if the weather looks a bit iffy, take a brolly!). Any bags etc you have will go through an airport style x ray, then you queue up for check in. Boarding starts normally about 11 - 1130, BUT you can't access your cabin until at least 1pm (there will be an announcement), so anything you carry on you have to keep with you until then. We have always been very lucky with our cases which are normally delivered by 4pm (sometimes earlier), but don't panic if they are not there until 8pm!

Simon

If you don't get your luggage until late, can you go to the MDR casual?

Most people pack a change of clothes in their carry-on luggage -- at least trousers and a collared shirt, which would fit the evening dress code for men, so that you won't be stuck with shorts and T-shirts if your luggage is among the last to be delivered. The first night is always "smart casual & above".

Archived