International Date Late

rogfam

Reason I asked the question was when I crossed the equator (land tour, not by cruiseship), there was a ceremony and everyone received a certificate. However we were at a hotel and the equator ran right through the middle of the property.

How about when the Equator is crossed or the ship sails north of the Arctic Circle? Is there any kind of WahHoo?

Celebrity did a ceremony when we crossed the Equator on our Galapagos cruise. Drron29 is has a report on his Silver Explorer cruise up the west coast of Africa, and has pictures of their Equator crossing ceremony as well. So at least some do this.

The times we've crossed the Arctic circle, we just received certificates commemorating the event - we are officially "Bluenoses" and have the papers to prove it!

How about when the Equator is crossed or the ship sails north of the Arctic Circle? Is there any kind of WahHoo?

There was a ceremony when we crossed the Arctic circle & recieved a certificate

Most cruise lines have this ceremony when crossing the equator - usually presided over by king Neptune and his royal court and it involves kissing a smelly fish and being dunked into the pool (and such):

http://www.desausa.org/pollywog_to_shellback.htm

Just for that reason - fish kissing is not my favorite sport - I have kept my Shellback and Blue Nose cards all these years. I will take the Blue Nose card with me on the cruise next year! :p

There was a ceremony on our Regatta cruise. No dunking in the pool, however, because the pool needs to be cleaned and refilled afterwards. This was not possible in the Amazon river. The Veendam emptied the pool, cleaned and refilled it in the Pacific Ocean. We did not keep our certificates.

Archived