Canadian Border Patrol Problems

I would be very surprised if a good TA did not at least advise their client about obtaining knowledge of entry rules,visa, etc.

My former TA always included either specific information or information of where the data could be obtained. She did this for every country we visited. It mostly consisted of visa and customs information. It was part of the service.

If he got the DUI in Washington it stays on your record for seven years and California is 10 years. There is a web site that will tell you how long each state keeps it on their DMV records. If it was more than 10 years and as you said 15 years unless it was part of vehicle manslaughter, Canada wouldn't even know about it. Quite frankly it's none of their business.:mad:

None of Canada's business who enters the country? So do you also feel that the criminal background of foreigners attempting to enter the U.S. should also be none of the U.S.'s business??

None of Canada's business who enters the country? So do you also feel that the criminal background of foreigners attempting to enter the U.S. should also be none of the U.S.'s business??

Well said!!! Thank you!!

Does this occur most often when you are driving into Canada?

The only time I was ever in Canada was a stop in Victoria on the way back from an Alaska cruise that was round trip from Seattle. I don't recall any border or customs checks when getting off the ship. It was only last year.

This year I'm taking the Montreal to Boston cruise and flying to Montreal from Chicago. Can I expect the same degree of scrutiny coming off the plane as those who enter Canada by car?

I'm certainly not aware of any potential problems I might have, but being a senior citizen I must admit that the 1960s were spent in a haze:rolleyes:

Oh my, I thought TA's were supposed to know what is required when crossing any border.

Living close enough to the border here we often go into the US and we all know what the requirements are. I have friend who can't cross the border at all because of a marijuana possession charge many years ago.

I retired as a TA before 911...We barely had computers in the office at the time and mostly used just for ticketing....We got most of our info from travel Magazines..and I was well read...but don't remember anything about Canada..

This subject seems to open several interesting choices for person who have a conflict with Canadian entry requirements such as a past DUI. A person can choose to try to enter Canada hoping that it will not be discovered, pay a $200 fee in advance in the chance that the conflict will be waived, or hope if the conflict is discovered at time of entry, the Canadian official would allow one to pay the $200 fee to enter Canada. In two of the choices, it involves the possibility of being refused entry into Canada and not being able to board the cruise causing a large financial loss.

One other big choice is to exercise ones ability to not travel through Canada and exercise other travel options such as sailing from Seattle (not being able to get off the ship in a Canadian port) or traveling to other destinations. Yes Canada can set their rules of entry but we as consumers can exercise are own options.

I do not think that this is rocket science.

There are problems for both sides-when travelling north or south. It is worse since 9/11 and it will only get even worse for some.

Bottom line is think about it, take the steps to resolve the issue (both sides have a process for doing this) and move forward. Stop whining and blaming others for your problems. Moaning about the issue will not solve this for anyone. You need to be proactive. If you put on your thinking cap, and are proactive, then the issue, if you have it, can probably be resolved within a six month timeframe.

Either that, or just don't visit Canada or the US, whichever the case may be. But beware, other countries are moving in the same direction as the exchange of data between countries increases several fold each year.

i do not think that this is rocket science.

There are problems for both sides-when travelling north or south. It is worse since 9/11 and it will only get even worse for some.

Bottom line is think about it, take the steps to resolve the issue (both sides have a process for doing this) and move forward. Stop whining and blaming others for your problems. Moaning about the issue will not solve this for anyone. You need to be proactive. If you put on your thinking cap, and are proactive, then the issue, if you have it, can probably be resolved within a six month timeframe.

Either that, or just don't visit canada or the us, whichever the case may be. But beware, other countries are moving in the same direction as the exchange of data between countries increases several fold each year.

a+:)

It depends on the country. I am a TA in Canada and we direct all our clients to www.travel.gc.ca, its the government of Canada's travel website. It contains information regarding Entry/Exit requirements for every country. If you look under the US it has a detailed section on trying to enter with a criminal record as does the section for Mexico

Thank you.

Still curious about whether the info is revealed via self-report (written form or oral interview) or database - anyone?

My daughter and her husband just got back from their 3rd anniversary cruise on a HAL ship to Alaska... they took the train from Seattle to Vancouver, BC... upon arrival in Vancouver, they were "randomly" pulled

aside by the Canadian border patrol, and questioned about what they were coming into Canada for, they told them they were going on a cruise.

There seemed to be a huge problem with the authorities and my SIL, he

is a reformed alcoholic, and has been sober for over 15 years, however he

had had a DUI back in the days of drinking, of which he is not proud of,

the border patrol questioned him extensively and then told him he would

have to pay them $200.00 to get a permit to enter Canada!! The permit was good for the duration of their cruise. needless to say this was not the

way they wanted to start their vacation. Have any of you ever had this

happen to you, or to someone you know.. We thought they should have

some kind of warnings to those coming to Canada, or at least some mention of this problem to the general cruising public.

I have the same issue.

I cant go to Canada but I can get a security clearance here.

I had a DUI 20 years ago and I had on other "minor" offence that taught me alot about ignorance not being an excuse.

I have to get a Canadian Immigration Lawyer to help me clear it all up so I can go to Canada. This is going to cost about 2000 dollars.

So, I don't go to Canada.

My daughter's fiancé in Canada has exactly the same issue. It is just a little tick in the box on a computer screen or a notation of the same screen when one passes through customs-on either side of the border.

He decided to go through the process so that he can enter the US. It is costing him money to do this.

He is not blaming anyone but himself for this restriction. He simply decided to take care of it and move forward. Everyone with this issue, on either side of the border, has a very simple decision to make.

If he got the DUI in Washington it stays on your record for seven years and California is 10 years. There is a web site that will tell you how long each state keeps it on their DMV records. If it was more than 10 years and as you said 15 years unless it was part of vehicle manslaughter, Canada wouldn't even know about it. Quite frankly it's none of their business.:mad:

My DUI is 20 years old and shows up on my driving record.

You have to request it be removed from your driving record.

Also, it does not remove the arrest from your criminal record.

Only one uniform better!;)

Indeed........

And a mighty handsome uniform it is. :)

One to be worn with great pride.

Two U.S. Marines are, at this moment, holding umbrellas over the President and Prime Minister of Turkey as they talk their way through a Rose Garden news confenece in the pouring rain.

The Marines sure look sharp!!! :)

My daughter's fiancé in Canada has exactly the same issue. It is just a little tick in the box on a computer screen or a notation of the same screen when one passes through customs-on either side of the border.

He decided to go through the process so that he can enter the US. It is costing him money to do this.

He is not blaming anyone but himself for this restriction. He simply decided to take care of it and move forward. Everyone with this issue, on either side of the border, has a very simple decision to make.

Thank you - I believe this is response to my question about whether the info is revealed via self-report (written form or oral interview) or database.

If you give it a little thought, I think you will agree that neither the US or the Cdn. government really cares about a DUI that someone may have had ten or 15 years ago.

The issue is that once the information is sent to either authority they have to deal with it in a way legislated or mandated by that country's enforcement agency.

The real issue is with the jurisdiction where the incident occurred. If the data ends up with US or Canadian authorities, it is because the originating jurisdiction not only kept the data on record for an extended period of time, but also had no issue forwarding it to other jurisdictions.

The source is the jurisdiction where the event occurred. The cause is that person in the mirror. The customs, immigration, or border security folks are simply doing their respective jobs as mandated by their superiors. I am certain that it is a very difficult job given the pervasive sense of entitlement that North Americans seem to have and the tendency to blame others for our self inflicted wounds.

if you give it a little thought, i think you will agree that neither the us or the cdn. Government really cares about a dui that someone may have had ten or 15 years ago.

The source is the jurisdiction where the event occurred. The cause is that person in the mirror. The customs, immigration, or border security folks are simply doing their respective jobs as mandated by their superiors. I am certain that it is a very difficult job given the pervasive sense of entitlement that north americans seem to have and the tendency to blame others for our self inflicted wounds.

bingo!!!

;) Btw, are the Leafs recovered yet from that meltdown vs Boston?:eek:

Nah, Maple Leaf nation is in deep mourning. So many hopes dashed at the last minute.

Makes me happy to be a Detroit Red Wings fan - although they need to pull up their socks, too.!!!

Nope;) Btw, are the Leafs recovered yet from that meltdown vs Boston?:eek:

f_Huet_USMC_aq043.jpg

My gosh, that was the ultimate melt-down. We're Canucks fans and even we felt bad for them. Huge disappointment for their fans.

Nope;) Btw, are the Leafs recovered yet from that meltdown vs Boston?:eek:

f_Huet_USMC_aq043.jpg

Yes;) BTW as for those Leafs...News conference as we speak... It was all strategic, a psych. Just wait till next year...after all, how long has it been...Go Rangers:)

Archived