Canadian Border Patrol Problems

My daughter and her husband just got back from their 3rd anniversary cruise on a HAL ship to Alaska... they took the train from Seattle to Vancouver, BC... upon arrival in Vancouver, they were "randomly" pulled

aside by the Canadian border patrol, and questioned about what they were coming into Canada for, they told them they were going on a cruise.

There seemed to be a huge problem with the authorities and my SIL, he

is a reformed alcoholic, and has been sober for over 15 years, however he

had had a DUI back in the days of drinking, of which he is not proud of,

the border patrol questioned him extensively and then told him he would

have to pay them $200.00 to get a permit to enter Canada!! The permit was good for the duration of their cruise. needless to say this was not the

way they wanted to start their vacation. Have any of you ever had this

happen to you, or to someone you know.. We thought they should have

some kind of warnings to those coming to Canada, or at least some mention of this problem to the general cruising public.

My daughter and her husband just got back from their 3rd anniversary cruise on a HAL ship to Alaska... they took the train from Seattle to Vancouver, BC... upon arrival in Vancouver, they were "randomly" pulled

aside by the Canadian border patrol, and questioned about what they were coming into Canada for, they told them they were going on a cruise.

There seemed to be a huge problem with the authorities and my SIL, he

is a reformed alcoholic, and has been sober for over 15 years, however he

had had a DUI back in the days of drinking, of which he is not proud of,

the border patrol questioned him extensively and then told him he would

have to pay them $200.00 to get a permit to enter Canada!! The permit was good for the duration of their cruise. needless to say this was not the

way they wanted to start their vacation. Have any of you ever had this

some kind of warnings to those coming to Canada, or at least some mention of this problem to the general cruising public.

DUI is a criminal offence in Canada. The US also detains Canadians who have criminal records when they enter the US, so this is something done by both countries. Nothing new.

Have any of you ever had this

First, I am sorry you are so upset and I agree it is no way to start a vacation....but, your S-I-L is so very lucky the Canadian Immigration officials allowed them to pay for a special entry permit so they could take their cruise. They could have easily said NO and sent him back to the US.

A Canadian with the same record would have a much more difficult time getting into the US. It is not for the governments of countries to advertise their rules. It is up to the peoople travelling to look into the rules before they travel.

A criminal record is a criminal record after all. The situation got more difficult for those with records to cross our shared border since September 11.

Non-citizens have no right of entry to any country, including both Canada and the United States. Convicted criminals can expect to face secondary screening, especially if they initially lie when asked at the primary screening point. And, while it may seem unfair, both U.S. and Canadian border authorities can -- and sometimes do -- refuse entry for reasons they have no obligation to disclose.

I was very intimidated by the border patrol when we crossed the border from washington state into Canada a few years ago...I was not happy by their demeanor...etc...etc...When got on the bus I told my husband I was not happy by the way we were treated...he said...no they were doing their job...that is what our border patrol should be doing...so after I thought about it I had a different opinion!

I also remember years back a regualr Hal poster was getting off a ship in LA...and was arrested on an old warrant:eek: That terrified me as I was raised in California and left as a young woman...what if you didn't know there was a warrant..guess that could happen? This poor lady was taken to jail..it was awful..there was a long thread about it. Thankfully I have cruised in and out of California several times since...and they didn't haul me off so guess I am okay:D

So sorry your SIL and daughter had to go thru that Linda....like someone else said I have read about them not even letting people into the country.

Yes, it's par for the course for entry into Canada- all I can say is that entry Into the USA is generally far worse. US officials do not have ancient DWI's on their radar the way CDN officials do but it still takes my breath away and I cross weekly with nothing at all to hide. Your SIL is very, very lucky that they let him buy his way in. Very lucky. They don't realize it but they actually had a great start to their vacation!

DUI in Canada is a felony- our ferry terminal in Washington has signs warning of this. Canada will refuse entry- I've heard of them refusing entry to someone with a shoplifting conviction.

I've heard that after five years a person can file paperwork to regain the ability to go back into Canada- very expensive though.

OP was very lucky to get a $200 temporary resident permit- those are usually only issued in cases of emergency (family illness, death, urgent business meeting).

If at least five years have elapsed since the end of the sentence imposed for the DUI, your SIL is eligible to apply for "approval of rehabilitation." The application can be made at any Canadian visa office (in the US they are located at Washington DC, Buffalo, New York City, Detroit, Seattle and Los Angeles).

The fee is $200 CAD, the processing time is generally several months (though I can vary widely depending upon the circumstances of the applicant). If approved, it permanently overcomes the inadmissibility arising from the criminal conviction.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp

Sounds like they were just doing their job.

Some years ago, before a cruise to Alaska, me and DH who have never broken any laws or even (at that time) had a speeding ticket, were pulled aside by the US border guards at the Vancouver terminal, before boarding. We were grilled about why we were Canadian residents travelling on a UK passport (we had procrastinated about taking citizenship, had lived here about 20 years at that time). We were kept aside for quite some time while they did some checking on us, eyeballed and fingerprinted and then sent on our way. They were just doing their job - though they were pretty surly, let me tell you:(. We have since become Canadian citizens with Canadian passports so no problems since!

DUI is a criminal offence in Canada. The US also detains Canadians who have criminal records when they enter the US, so this is something done by both countries. Nothing new.

They did not "detain" him, they made him pay $200.00 and gave him a permit, and let him continue on his cruise!!

First, I am sorry you are so upset and I agree it is no way to start a vacation....but, your S-I-L is so very lucky the Canadian Immigration officials allowed them to pay for a special entry permit so they could take their cruise. They could have easily said NO and sent him back to the US.

A Canadian with the same record would have a much more difficult time getting into the US. It is not for the governments of countries to advertise their rules. It is up to the peoople travelling to look into the rules before they travel.

A criminal record is a criminal record after all. The situation got more difficult for those with records to cross our shared border since September 11.

I don't think a DUI more than 15 years ago, deserves to be called a "criminal record" Could you please direct me to a place to find out what the rules of travelling in Canada are?? Thank you.

I am not the one that is upset, In fact, He had been in Canada at that exact train station 2 years earlier, and had no problem, so why now???

Sorry that this happened to your daughter and her husband.

There have been lots of topics concerning this on all sections of CC.

Sorry, I know how some on CC do not like a question asked again that has been asked before, but I never have seen any comments on this subject.

As the others have said, the offical could have refused him entry and disallowed their continuing on to meet the ship. Your S-I-L was lucky.

Sorry they went through this and happy your S-I-L has changed his ways.

Sadly the mistakes we make as young people can follow us throughout our lives.

Canada did not keep it a secret. This has been discussed on this forum and other CC venues many times.

I don't think a DUI more than 15 years ago, deserves to be called a "criminal record" Could you please direct me to a place to find out what the rules of travelling in Canada are?? Thank you.

I am not the one that is upset, In fact, He had been in Canada at that exact train station 2 years earlier, and had no problem, so why now???

The Canada Border Services Agency website.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

Yes, it's par for the course for entry into Canada- all I can say is that entry Into the USA is generally far worse. US officials do not have ancient DWI's on their radar the way CDN officials do but it still takes my breath away and I cross weekly with nothing at all to hide. Your SIL is very, very lucky that they let him buy his way in. Very lucky. They don't realize it but they actually had a great start to their vacation!

IF they had not been allowed to continue to the ship and were turned around, do you know if the cruise fare would have been returned to

them by HAL, :confused: having bought the cruise insurance??? just wondering!

IF they had not been allowed to continue to the ship and were turned around, do you know if the cruise fare would have been returned to

I'd think not. Meeting the requirements for entry into the country of embarkation is the passenger's responsibility. They wouldn't refund for improper documentation, even with insurance, so I doubt they'd refund for this.

They are lucky it worked out for them. Who knows why it wasn't an issue in the past. Maybe the border guard was in a good mood that day?

Just google "Canada Customs" at it will explain everything there about entry into Canada and reasons for being detained or not allowed at all.

I have just finished reading the rules for entering Canada, and nowhere did I find just because you had a DUI, or any misdemenor would you be denied access. It said if you had committed a crime punishable for 10years, you would be denied access. I also found where they can ask for

an appeal on the matter... which they may do.

Yes, it is nice that they were allowed to buy their way into Canada, and

they made the best of the situation and enjoyed their cruise in spite of the hassels.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/who.asp

"having been convicted of a crime, including driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol (see note 1) "

As it says, the determination gets made at the POE. I'd guess some times you get lucky, some not.

Sorry to hear this happened. We met someone on an Alaska cruise whose companion was also denied entry into Canada to embark at Vancouver. The companion then planned to get on the ship at the first port, but that ran afoul of the PVSA (it ended at Whittier).

HAL would not refund any money and no reason they should IMO

Each insurance policy is different and it's hard to make a blanket statement but I would say it is most likely few, if any, would pay any claim.

If one does not meet entry requirements to the country where refused, No reason insurance should pay IMO

Absolutely NO refund nor would any travel insurance reimburse it us totally up to the passenger.

Like others have said your S-I-L is extremely lucky they allowed him to pay the $200 far more have just been denied entry into Canada. There is no statue of limitation and this will always be the case unless he does file with Canada to have it lifted.

In cruises going out of the U S Ro Alaska and stopping in Victoria they normally just notify the ship with a list if the passengers who will not be allowed to disembark.

Not exactly sure why anyone would think that time elapsed would have an impact on a criminal record.

Unless there has been a pardon, or some sort of administrative action by the individual to have the record forgiven I would not expect the record to disappear into thin air. Especially in today's environment.

Archived