London Transport

Index

This is my maiden voyage on this forum . Still can't find the proper icons for examining the list of threads.

Right now I'm searching for transport from Heathrow to Paddington area on June 17th AM and then from hotel (Cleveland) to Harwich on the 20th.

Thanks

Heathrow Express train is the fastest way to Paddington Station. You can purchase tickets once you clear and have your baggage. When you arrive at the station, taxi cabs are lined up outside to take you to your London Hotel. There are other options, but my suggestions are based on past experiences.

I've never sailed from Harwich, only Dover, so I can't help with that. I know there are coach and train options.

Darcy

It is nearly 90 miles to Harwich, so I definitely wouldn't recommend a taxi!

I think you need to get a mainline train from Liverpool Street Station towards Norwich, and change at Mannigtree for Harwich Town, and then get a taxi to the cruise terminal.

I got that information from Google maps!

Train is definitely from Liverpool Street. You can reach that from Paddington on the circle and Metropolitan Lines. I guess a taxi Liverpool Street will be about £ 20 which is other option I would take bearing in mind you will have luggage. Your destination from Liverpool Street is Harwich International. That is actually at the Cruise Terminal so no need for a taxi at that end. You will need to change trains at Manningtree. Taking account of that change the total journey time from Liverpool St will be about 1 hour 20 minutes.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You could also hire a car to take you to Harwich. Companies like Smiths for Airports will pick you up in London and take you to the dock.

If you have trouble finding your way around Cruise Critic, just go to the top of the page and click on "Cruise Critic Message Board Forums". There you will see links to all the forums.

Enjoy your cruise!

Please be aware that changing at Manningtree is no easy feat with lots of luggage. To go from one platform to the other entails going down a flight of stairs, along the passageway then up a flight of stairs at the other side. No lifts I'm afraid.

Please be aware that changing at Manningtree is no easy feat with lots of luggage. To go from one platform to the other entails going down a flight of stairs, along the passageway then up a flight of stairs at the other side. No lifts I'm afraid.

On cruise days the train runs direct from Liverpool Street station to the cruise terminal - no change at Manningtree. Of course, they charge 30 GBP rather than the usual 8 or so.

If you are flying in the day of the cruise, you can save a fair amount of money by taking regular London Underground Picadilly Line to Kings Cross and then a taxi to Liverpool Street . If you come in a day or so early, you also should take the Picadilly Line - to Gloucester Street - that station is yards away from a lot of reasonably priced hotels along Cromwell Road. Picadilly Line costs much less than Heathrow Express - which takes you to out-of-the-way Paddington Station -- where nearby hotels are either very expensive or just not that good.

Archived