Celebrity silhouette transatlantic review April 2013

Barnos

Hi All,

I've pasted below an email I have just sent to celebrity because frankly I was really disappointed with this cruise. Let me explain first, the disappointment stemmed primarily from the fact that we were so absolutely delighted with our last transatlantic cruise on-board Equinox, taken the same time, last year. It just seems that silhouette, in particular in the area of service, just wasn't quite up to the mark.

I don't know whether this was down to cutbacks (we did get the cruise is an exceptionally good price) or some other reason. I suspect that the whole ethos on the ship was just not the same–on Equinox they simply could not do enough for you.

I noticed another post complaining that people failed to turn up for the cruise critic–connections party–we registered for the party, with celebrity, and were told that information would be sent to lose but nothing arrived. When I queried at Guest relations they told me there was nothing they could do?

I even managed to fall through the middle of the gap between the beds–because - it had not been converted into a double correctly.

I am interested–am I being overly picky–or did any other cruisers find that Silhouette did just not quite live up to the mark?–email below.

last thought–I work in IT, I have done since ( forever!) .. I find this message forum just about the most difficult thing to use in the world–is it me?

-----

Hello,

I thought it appropriate that I forward you my feedback in relation to the above crews. I did not complete the questionnaire given to me on board, because frankly I was disappointed with the cruise and did not feel in the right frame of mind to comment at the time.

Let me start by saying that we have only cruised 3 times, the first 2 cruises with celebrity on Equinox, the first in the Caribbean in 2011, the second transatlantic in 2012. We were so absolutely delighted with every single aspect of the last cruise we had no hesitation in making a further booking before we left the ship.

We took up the option of that reservation to take the same transatlantic cruise this time on celebrity silhouette, we were really looking forward to being on board the new ship with all the new features.

Sadly, whilst the facilities were excellent, the service could best be described as adequate. This may be a little harsh an assessment but having set the bar so high with the quality of service on Equinox I have to say that, not to have that excellence repeated was a disappointment.

As we boarded there was no welcome glass of bubbly. Perhaps we missed it somehow, but that welcome made you feel so, well, welcome!

At one point during the cruise we ordered a liqueur Cointreau, but we were served a Curaçao - when we pointed this out to the waitress she positively argued and debated the point. So disappointing. I suspect a lack of fluent English was the problem.

I visited the customer relations desk and asked if there was any weather forecasts available for a crossing. I was told that these were not available on transatlantic crossings. Despite the fact that I could obtain the information myself on my laptop and they had been provided to us daily on the Equinox cruise again–very disappointing.

A highlight of the Equinox cruise was a morning cookery course organised in Murano restaurant. We asked if something similar would be arranged this time. The maitre d' of blue tried to arrange this, but somehow failed, xxx in some cases typifying our experience. Nice try but not quite.

Perhaps my final piece of feedback would be to say that whilst we'd certainly like to cruise again, we simply didn't feel moved to make an on-board reservation and we are now considering whether we can find that excellence that we so enjoyed an equinox, with other cruise lines.

I wondered whether this fall standards was down to savings and cutbacks, but would probably be of the opinion that in some way the ethos on the silhouette was just not the same as we had experienced on Equinox.

I hope you find these comments constructive.

Best regards,

I'm sorry you had so many problems on your TA on the Silhouette. We took our first Celebrity cruise on the Silhouette in February. We had such a good time and the service was so good, we cancelled our 2014 cruise booked on the Royal Princess and booked on the Reflection.

Our only complaint was the disembarkation and I sent an email to Mr. Bayley. I did get a phone call from the Executive Offices and I was able to tell her my disappointment with how disembarkation was handled and told her I would not sail Celebrity out of Ft. Lauderdale again until changes were made. Hopefully you will also get a call and will be able to voice your concerns directly to the Executive Office as well.

I understand. Our first ever cruise was on Equinox and it was wonderful in every way! Since then we have cruised on the Solstice, Millie, Infinity and Silhouette. We are always comparing the service to Equinox. For us, Silhouette (Feb 2013) came the closest!

I also think the welcome Bubbly is essential. First impressions are so important in maintaining a positive outlook. That warm smile from the crew, that glass of champaign, that says, "We just want you to be happy! Leave the worries to us."

Wow, I was on the same cruise and it was the best time I had, mostly because of the people on the cruise

The people from CC were great, we also meet people who lived in the same town,

I thought the staff was Ok

In the Oceanview buffet they got upset at people playing Mexican Train at lunch :rolleyes:

No bubbly , that was Ok, maybe because it was FLL , I did not noticed until you post at there was none

The worst thing I found was the Elite People ( you know who you are ) taking over the sunset bar with those darn drink coupons , I had a hard time getting drinks on my package

We were on the Equniox last June, and also in Nov for the TA , the staff was almost completely different , with the Reflection coming on line it took good people from all the ships

Also , this forum is very easy to use, so I guess it you

You must be use to the programs Celebrity uses :D

Once again , I had my best sea day cruise on this ship, the ports were OK

Edited by Airbalancer

There was no welcoming bubbly in Rome when we boarded. Got a rose, thought it was for a suite check in. Maybe the 123 package has something to do with it? There was a lot of free champagne for events.

There was no welcoming bubbly in Rome when we boarded. Got a rose, thought it was for a suite check in. Maybe the 123 package has something to do with it? There was a lot of free champagne for events.

Hy!

First of all, sorry for my english...I studied it twenty years ago and don't remember anything :o! I see you was on Shilouette recently and I would like to know the use of Enomatic wine dispenser in Cellar Master. Particularly

there is a special card to purchase a glass of wine or use your sea pass?

Thank you!

OP, your letter does not match the info that you put in your preface to it. Personally I think there were a few "little" things that disappointed you. Many of them can be attributed to just a different cruise/staff such as the weather forecasts and cooking session.

You never mention what you expect Celebrity to do? Apologize, make you some kind of offer???

In general, the cruise lines are used to a very brief description of what was negligent/wrong on the cruise and what you expect as compensation. Most other things get handled onboard at the time that they occur.

If you feel, that there was negligence or not meeting your contract, state that clearly to the cruise line otherwise writing a review about your experience to share with others is probably the best you can do. And to do lots of research for your next cruise.

Edited by happy cruzer

I think you're being super super whiny. This is what a 15 day cruise, and those are the only things you can find to complain about...? What about the other 14 days 23 hours and 45 minutes.

You asked.

Edited by DavidYYC
correction.

Barnos,

I'm sorry to read you had a few disappointments with your recent cruise.

You took an S-Class ship and were happy, now a sister ship and it didn't go so well. Do try again.

We were unhappy with the Equinox but loved the Eclipse. We evaluated what made us disatisfied and evaluated remedies.

Not getting a glass of bubbly was important to you. Why not purchase a glass of champagne to welcome yourself aboard rather than let it affect your first day?

I went to CellarMasters to sample various wines and found I needed a special card but could not use my seapass. Since I didn't want to take time to pursue a special card, I got my drinks from the Passport Bar.

I hope your next cruise goes better and a reply from Celebrity will be posted here.

Welcome to the message board.

-Marisa

Hy!

First of all, sorry for my english...I studied it twenty years ago and don't remember anything :o! I see you was on Shilouette recently and I would like to know the use of Enomatic wine dispenser in Cellar Master. Particularly

there is a special card to purchase a glass of wine or use your sea pass?

Thank you!

In cellar master, $100 card gets you $125 on the card

Also if you book the riedel glass class you get a $25 included

Some ships you can use your sea pass to get the wine

In cellar master, $100 card gets you $125 on the card

Also if you book the riedel glass class you get a $25 included

Some ships you can use your sea pass to get the wine

Thank you!

Silvia

Wow.

We were on the same cruise and had a FANTASTIC time. In fact, when the comment cards came around, I did not have one negative thing to say!

Honestly, your complaints seem very picky and minor. I had understood that in lieu of champagne on boarding, when one's hands are full of carryon baggage, they offered the champagne at the Captain's Welcome Toast, a much more appropriate time.

No weather report? Hardly earth-shattering. The wrong drink? Again, a minor language difficulty. I did not see one serious issue in your whole post, and in fact I think it's nitpicking complaints like yours that make the cruiselines disregard most of these letters and miss some actual serious flaws. And when you send a complaint to management referring to your 'crews', I doubt they will take you very seriously!

I couldn't have asked for a better crew, service, or vacation experience. I'm sorry you had such a miserable trip--better luck next time.

Oh, and one night I asked for wine and the waiter brought me a martini. . .oh well, ship happens!

Edited by CathyCruises

I was on the same cruise and the following 12 night mediterranean cruise. I had an amazing time! It was well noted here on CC and in the Celebrity Life left in the cabin embarkation day that there was no more champagne on boarding but at sailaway instead. I had more than one glass both sailings by the pool deck and at the aft areas of the ship. I think this just helps with a smoother embarkation, people are loaded down with luggage etc. At sailaway they were very free with champagne and mimosas, I do love mimosas!

I do know that there were a few cooking demos some in Blu. They were for a fee and I passed on them. It's too bad you didn't get the notice about the connections party, the first one was in Michael's Club which was way too small for our group. They did arrange another in the Sky lounge but after the first couple of days people get into a groove and don't want to partake in set activities so much. I missed our slot pull because I had a very bad migraine, I went to have a nap after lunch and woke up with barely time to get to supper.

I felt the Captain did a great job of letting us know what weather we were in for. He said on the first sea day after St Maarten that we were going to experience a very smooth sailing with some rougher weather on day 3 but nothing terrible. He was dead on with that and I was so happy with the amazing weather we had, this carried on into the 12 day med cruise.

I feel that the staff seemed overwhelmed especially in the dining rooms. I was in select dining the first leg, not by choice but because I booked that cruise last minute. Many of the waiters had no asst to help them which led to slower service. They did their best though. On the second leg I was AQ so dined in Blu. We noticed a very big difference from last year in service. The restaurant was always packed, lots of waiting to get in and the staff seemed to be running at times. I think this is due to the suites using Blu more, not an issue but perhaps a bit more staff would help in both areas.

I had a wonderful holiday even with the horrendous amount of noise over my cabin on the first leg. The Silhouette feels like home to me now and I can't wait to sail her again!

I was on this cruise too and had an amazing time. I agree with others that your complaints are a bit nit-picky.

As far as the sparkling wine goes, I believe Celebrity has changed when they serve it. Instead of when boarding it is now served during sail-away. I was on the Caribbean cruise before the TA as well and that is how they did it for both cruises.

I was on this cruise too and had an amazing time. I agree with others that your complaints are a bit nit-picky.

As far as the sparkling wine goes, I believe Celebrity has changed when they serve it. Instead of when boarding it is now served during sail-away. I was on the Caribbean cruise before the TA as well and that is how they did it for both cruises.

Hi Brenda! Yes it was a great cruise, thanks for being one of the people that made it so, hope to sail with you again someday!

I was on the same cruise and the following 12 night mediterranean cruise. I had an amazing time! It was well noted here on CC and in the Celebrity Life left in the cabin embarkation day that there was no more champagne on boarding but at sailaway instead. I had more than one glass both sailings by the pool deck and at the aft areas of the ship. I think this just helps with a smoother embarkation, people are loaded down with luggage etc. At sailaway they were very free with champagne and mimosas, I do love mimosas!

I do know that there were a few cooking demos some in Blu. They were for a fee and I passed on them. It's too bad you didn't get the notice about the connections party, the first one was in Michael's Club which was way too small for our group. They did arrange another in the Sky lounge but after the first couple of days people get into a groove and don't want to partake in set activities so much. I missed our slot pull because I had a very bad migraine, I went to have a nap after lunch and woke up with barely time to get to supper.

I felt the Captain did a great job of letting us know what weather we were in for. He said on the first sea day after St Maarten that we were going to experience a very smooth sailing with some rougher weather on day 3 but nothing terrible. He was dead on with that and I was so happy with the amazing weather we had, this carried on into the 12 day med cruise.

I feel that the staff seemed overwhelmed especially in the dining rooms. I was in select dining the first leg, not by choice but because I booked that cruise last minute. Many of the waiters had no asst to help them which led to slower service. They did their best though. On the second leg I was AQ so dined in Blu. We noticed a very big difference from last year in service. The restaurant was always packed, lots of waiting to get in and the staff seemed to be running at times. I think this is due to the suites using Blu more, not an issue but perhaps a bit more staff would help in both areas.

I had a wonderful holiday even with the horrendous amount of noise over my cabin on the first leg. The Silhouette feels like home to me now and I can't wait to sail her again!

Hi Deb:

So odd about the waiters. Our waiter AND assistant had only OUR table! There was a 10-top next to us that never had more than 4 people, and after a few days they went elsewhere, so it was just our group of 7. It seems like if there was a shortage, they could have done some reassignments to even out the work load. Sorry that you had less than stellar service!

Cathy

Hi Deb:

So odd about the waiters. Our waiter AND assistant had only OUR table! There was a 10-top next to us that never had more than 4 people, and after a few days they went elsewhere, so it was just our group of 7. It seems like if there was a shortage, they could have done some reassignments to even out the work load. Sorry that you had less than stellar service!

Cathy

I saw pictures of your tablet , you probably need two waiters and assistant just to keep up you guys :D

Like I said it was the best cruise

Hi Brenda:) it was so nice to meet you last month and glad you

had fun on this one as well:D

I have only been on two cruises, but loved both. I was apprehensive before my first one because of all the concerns and criticisms I read in places like CC, which otherwise contains many helpful and praiseworthy posts, too. Once onboard, within a few minutes, I "got" it.

Here's the deal. A cruise ship is generally a great thing, and a cruise is generally a great thing. The question to ask yourself is this: Do the staff, facilities, experiences provide me with the opportunities with which I can make a good time for myself? My friends, it is really hard not to be able to answer "yes" to this question almost every time. Can I find something to fault? Sure. But that is not the question. Can I have a good time? Yes.

Relax and have a good time. This is really really possible to do on a cruise ship. Any cruise ship.

IMHO.

- Joel

I think you're being super super whiny.

You asked.

I think you might benefit from adopting an attitude of gratitude for the incredible experiences you are able to enjoy. Fully one quarter of the 6 billion people on this planet are not even aware of, and can not even COMPREHEND, the luxurious lifestyle you have enjoyed on MULTIPLE occasions.

"...I was disappointed with the cruise and did not feel in the right frame of mind to comment at the time..."

JEEZ

Edited by navyrotorhead

Hi Deb:

Cathy

No you missunderstood me, I did not feel that I had less than stellar service. I felt bad for the waiters that seemed run off their feet. As I said they did their best, the service was slower as only one person was doing all the work but I wasn't going anywhere, I was on holidays. I did manage to sit at the same 10 top many nights and there was both a waiter and asst at that one. We always had 9 or 10 people and they did have at least 2 other tables. I have no complaints about the service anywhere on the ship, it's a great crew.

No you missunderstood me, I did not feel that I had less than stellar service. I felt bad for the waiters that seemed run off their feet. As I said they did their best, the service was slower as only one person was doing all the work but I wasn't going anywhere, I was on holidays. I did manage to sit at the same 10 top many nights and there was both a waiter and asst at that one. We always had 9 or 10 people and they did have at least 2 other tables. I have no complaints about the service anywhere on the ship, it's a great crew.

Oh, I see. Still, it's seems like the workload (and the tips!) could have been spread around more equitably--doesn't seem right for some guys to have three or four big tables, and others just one table. I'm sure there's some logic that I just don't get! But I agree, the crew was wonderful, friendly helpful, and everyone seemed to be happy to be there.

I have only been on two cruises, but loved both. I was apprehensive before my first one because of all the concerns and criticisms I read in places like CC, which otherwise contains many helpful and praiseworthy posts, too. Once onboard, within a few minutes, I "got" it.

Here's the deal. A cruise ship is generally a great thing, and a cruise is generally a great thing. The question to ask yourself is this: Do the staff, facilities, experiences provide me with the opportunities with which I can make a good time for myself? My friends, it is really hard not to be able to answer "yes" to this question almost every time. Can I find something to fault? Sure. But that is not the question. Can I have a good time? Yes.

Relax and have a good time. This is really really possible to do on a cruise ship. Any cruise ship.

IMHO.

- Joel

I think we can all find something wrong if we look close enough and we want to be petty. A cruise is what we make of it. Our philosophy is that we don't have to cook our meals, clean up afterwards clean our room etc. We treat staff the same way we want to be treated and we have been fortunate so far to have great cruises.