NCL..since you apparantly read these boards...

While I'm not so certain NCL actually looks at these posts as was stated, if they indeed do look at them, I can only imagine their response....probably wouldn't be one they'd post in public, however.

OP....the pix on NCL's web site shows crystal blue, calm waters. Should I be upset if there's a storm during my cruise and the water isn't crystal blue, and the wind is blowing?

Point being, pictures are a representation...not the actual item you'll be eating.

Edited by graphicguy

While I'm not so certain NCL actually looks at these posts as was stated, if they indeed do look at them, I can only imagine their response....probably wouldn't be one they'd post in public, however.

OP....the pix on NCL's web site shows crystal blue, calm waters. Should I be upset if there's a storm during my cruise and the water isn't crystal blue, and the wind is blowing?

They also show that it is always sunny...hmmmmm. How about that they always show beautiful people; not everyone on my cruise was beautiful.

I think the OP would probably agree that these things should be changed as well, since they are selling something that doesn't always happen, because after all the shrimp was just a minor example.

Edited by NLH Arizona

since nobody read my first post in its entirety....but did exactly what I predicted and flamed.....

the point is and I know all of you will still insist on debating it so go right ahead..as I have clearly made my point...

The fact that NCL wants you to Prepay....and is showing an incorrect pix of the shrimp cocktail on their website...which one must assume the pix is there to entice someone to prebook and prepay....is wrong...

Also...NCL up until a few days ago was also showing the wrong sample menu with the better food options...again any logical individual would have to assume that the sample menu is there to entice you to prepay...which is the whole point anyway...

It is funny how they finally updated the sample menu isn't it? Why..because that old menu doesn't exist anymore..so it was wrong to show it as a sample menu. Don't bother debating this...because it was the right thing to do to remove the old menu.

They no longer offer 6 shrimp...so they should not be showing the pix of it. if they want to keep that pix, then a disclaimer saying it is a double order should be clear........but of course they do not want pax to know that.

again, in my first post I stated that ccers are seasoned cruisers and know all the tricks..such as ordering a double order...

but the NCL prebooking website..which comes to pax in an email enticing them to prebook and prepay...has nothing to do with us well cruised ccers....

it is being sent to non ccers...who have no knowledge, unlike the rest of us, that what they see..prebook..and prepay...is not what they are doing to be getting...

argue that I am wrong all you want among yourselves.. come up with all sorts of excuses for ncl...but the fact is they they are not fully disclosing.......

personally...I know to research and ask questions....not everyone does..and unfortunately most people don't really care anymore if they are being duped....as evidenced right here on CC.

Since you can order more without paying more you are not being duped. If a passenger who Prepaid questions the difference, they'll be brought more. No problem. Why the big fuss about prepay???

Much ado about nothing imo.

Edited by NMLady

In a way your posts are highly complimentary to NCL. Only someone who loves them would be this critical. People that are just neutral about them would just move on to the next cruise line.

when the new Cagney's menu went into effect there was some discussion about how on the pre booking and pre paying site for booked pax to reserve their specialty dining, that as a sample menu, NCL was showing the old and IMO much much better Cagney's menu.

the discussion went to suggest bait and switch and since pax were looking at the old menu when deciding to prepay and pre book Cagney's at the higher $30 price, it was not proper to show the old $25 menu when the price was now $30 and the menu, again IMHO, less appealing.

so, to cut to the chase....thanks NCL for finally putting the new menu up as the sample menu so that pax are now fully aware of what their $30 will buy.

But you forgot something....the pix that you have showing the Cagney's shrimp cocktail shows 6 Jumbo shrip...but I have read some reports that now the Cagney's shrimp cocktail is now only 3 large shrimp....don't you, NCL, think this pix needs updating as well?

I was a great fan of the old Cagney's and while I can make my own great shrimp cocktail and rarely, if ever, order it out, I will admit that the old 6 piece shrimp cocktail at Cagney's was the best I have ever had and was truly looking forward to it on my upcoming cruise.

I have not booked Cagneys and do not intend to this trip. Of course I am sure there will be plenty of reservations available on the ship and I just might stop by and ask about the shrimp and what is actually being served.

Maybe the Maitre D at Cagneys will tell me that it is 6 shrimp....but from what I have read here it is only 3...

This might sound like nonsense to hard nosed high poster ccers, but what concerns me is that such a small # of cruisers actually read CC and so many pax will just not realize the differences at Cagneys and will be none the wiser.

Call me logical....but when the price of something rises and the quality and quantity is diminished.....and the pix of something is totally different from what will be served...pax have a right to know this.

flame away because someone always will...but seriously....I make a valid point.

Oh man god bless the crew when you're onboard.... ORDER TWO

Maggie cruises, I realize it is not about the shrimp. It is the principle. It is not asking too much to make representations or samples as accurate as possible. If you are going to change your product you should also plan on changing your advertising. It is always better to exceed expectations. If NCL had changed their menu to offer a much larger steak or lobster, they would happily change their menu to represent that change. So, we expect them to do the same when they downgrade something too.

Not sure why some want to flame the OP. It was a valid point if NCL was showing the old menu. The shrimp are the least of it. But yes, they are about half the size they used to be and fewer in the glass. My last NCL cruise in February, I was shocked at the tiny bit of cocktail sauce they put in the glass. So there are cutbacks all over.

And with news from Breakaway, it looks like NCL is also cutting back on the appetizers too. It was reported that they were charging for soup if you ordered an appetizer already. So it is not certain you can order 2 shrimp appetizers without having to pay extra. NCL also charges for one soda refill. That was a change too since everytime in a specialty restaurant, if you paid for a soda, there was never a charge for a refill (esp when they give you 8 oz of soda with ice).

So the OP brought up some valid points IMO. You must have truth in advertising :)

I just wish they would be honest and say, to keep prices low, we must cut back. I dont believe the "better and enhanced menu" when they reduce the size of the filet, get rid of the seafood appetizers, add chicken wings, and raise the price. C'mon now LOL :) I think that is the fine line between NCL cruiser and NCL cheerleader. To get less and pay more is something that should be fair to discuss without being flamed ;)

Edited by david_sobe

Not sure why some want to flame the OP. It was a valid point if NCL was showing the old menu. The shrimp are the least of it. But yes, they are about half the size they used to be and fewer in the glass. My last NCL cruise in February, I was shocked at the tiny bit of cocktail sauce they put in the glass. So there are cutbacks all over.

And with news from Breakaway, it looks like NCL is also cutting back on the appetizers too. It was reported that they were charging for soup if you ordered an appetizer already. So it is not certain you can order 2 shrimp appetizers without having to pay extra. NCL also charges for one soda refill. That was a change too since everytime in a specialty restaurant, if you paid for a soda, there was never a charge for a refill (esp when they give you 8 oz of soda with ice).

So the OP brought up some valid points IMO. You must have truth in advertising :)

I just wish they would be honest and say, to keep prices low, we must cut back. I dont believe the "better and enhanced menu" when they reduce the size of the filet, get rid of the seafood appetizers, add chicken wings, and raise the price. C'mon now LOL :) I think that is the fine line between NCL cruiser and NCL cheerleader. To get less and pay more is something that should be fair to discuss without being flamed ;)

My recollection is that diners on the Breakaway were only charged for extra appetizers or soup in Ocean Blue. I don't recall anything like that being reported for Cagney's.

Should sample pictures be as accurate as possible? Sure...but really...have you ever watched a TV commercial for a restaurant chain...or paid attention to pictures of the food displayed on the menu? How accurate are they? They always look bigger and better than the actual product. It's making a mountain out of a molehill.

Edited by njhorseman

My recollection is that diners on the Breakaway were only charged for extra appetizers or soup in Ocean Blue. I don't recall anything like that being reported for Cagney's.

Should sample pictures be as accurate as possible? Sure...but really...have you ever watched a TV commercial for a restaurant chain...or paid attention to pictures of the food displayed on the menu? How accurate are they? They always look bigger and better than the actual product. It's making a mountain out of a molehill.

The only restaurant on the Breakaway charging for additional appetizers is Ocean Blue. Keep in mind NCL has no control over Ocean Blue. Pricing, menu, staffing, and training are all Zakarian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Edited by time2cruise1

Ok You convinced me !!!!! I want to see truth in advertising also ---- so will you help me buy one of those cars that you can peel off the outside and have a different model of a different color under the original one.

I support truth in advertising !!!!!:rolleyes:;)

Edited by swedish weave

First World Problems.

This comment just seems to be the new way to be dismissive when you can't tell someone to use the search function or look at the other 3 threads posted on the same topic today. I could post this on just about every thread here, since this would be true about everything posted on cruise critic.

Not sure why some want to flame the OP. . . . To get less and pay more is something that should be fair to discuss without being flamed ;)

The problem that you and others can't see past is that it is difficult to have a discussion with people who take a Heaven or Hell approach: Everything said by someone who agrees with them is Gospel while everything else is Flaming.

Why not try to discuss the merits of the opposing viewpoint instead of trying to dismiss it out of had by labeling it "flaming" or by labeling the posters as "cheerleaders"?

IMHO...Every complaint about the SAMPLE menu is just additional evidence that NCL should consider in making the decision to remove menus from the website. Getting a menu when you arrive at a restaurant is sufficient.

IMHO...Every complaint about the SAMPLE menu is just additional evidence that NCL should consider in making the decision to remove menus from the website. Getting a menu when you arrive at a restaurant is sufficient.

I totally disagree. When I was planning my first NCL cruise and trying to decide which restaurants I wanted to try, these menus came in very handy. I was able to make my decision based on what they served and made my reservations on line, as well as paying for them, prior to my cruise. There were some restaurants I didn't pick, because I didn't like what they served or didn't serve. New cruisers need all the items they can get when making their first cruise plans and the sample menus hit the mark with me.

The problem that you and others can't see past is that it is difficult to have a discussion with people who take a Heaven or Hell approach: Everything said by someone who agrees with them is Gospel while everything else is Flaming.

Why not try to discuss the merits of the opposing viewpoint instead of trying to dismiss it out of had by labeling it "flaming" or by labeling the posters as "cheerleaders"?

You actually made my point. Thank you :)

Please re-read my post. The OP was thanking NCL for finally posting the new Cagneys menu (although they posted the new price long ago). I think the OP was a bit silly with the shrimp but fair is fair. I dont see the heaven/hell or black/white analogy you mention. I think the OP thread is harmless but brings up a valid discussion. To discard the OP thread all together and attack it is what I am against. Totally harmless thread. So actually WE AGREE if you think through it ;)

Although I willl disagree with you about the menus. If NCL has options to pre-book restaurants (with no refund) then it is not only FAIR, but RIGHT and JUST, they post the REAL MENU. To surprise someone on the spot as you suggest is wrong. But NCL finally did post the new menu so it is done ;)

Edited by david_sobe

The photos we can agree on. But the OP is really finally acknowleging NCL for posting the new menu. NCL asks you to pre-book restaurants. It is only fair that they post the real menu along with the new price, right? I think that was the majority of the OP thread. The shrimp photos are valid points but not the main point ;) The irony is the shrimp photos were actually REAL Cagney's photos (at one time). So why such a fuss to acknowledge the photo is no longer the case :)

Maybe it is just me, but boy do I miss the old Cagneys of 2009. JUMBO shrimp, porterhouse steaks, better french fries, and only $20 :) :)

Edited by david_sobe

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that it's basically false advertising, and it is a good example. However, so are the cruise brochures that picture all skinny and attractive people. The difference is that the first example is within NCL's control and the latter is not.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

I think the point the OP is trying to make is that it's basically false advertising, and it is a good example. However, so are the cruise brochures that picture all skinny and attractive people. The difference is that the first example is within NCL's control and the latter is not.

The brochures are under NCL's control since they pick the people to be pictured on the brochures. There is no difference between the two examples.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Just because it's a slow Saturday night............

Why wouldn't the shrimp share his treasure? Because he was a little shellfish.

A shrimp walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "I'm sorry, but we don't serve food here..."

My apologies. :D

I think the OP is just trying to stir the pot here. Can someone really be serious about complaining about a sample photo that shows six shrimp instead of three!. Order two appetizers and you get your six shrimp. Go wild and order three appetizers of shrimp and you will get nine! This thread takes the cake lol

The brochures are under NCL's control since they pick the people to be pictured on the brochures. There is no difference between the two examples.

There is a difference, in fact, it's been deliberated in many court cases. Designers could use ugly fat people as runway models, but they don't and don't have to. Clothing fits people differently, passenger mix can vary widely, etc.

If a company/restaurant advertises 6 shrimp in a photo for an order of shrimp cocktail, it is a reasonable expectation that you will receive 6. In this particular case, most of us here know that you can request another order if you got fewer than you wanted, but CC cruisers only make up approximately 2% of cruisers.

And if NCL used fat ugly people in their brochures (and really, who sees those brochures anymore?), what would happen when someone not in that category booked?

Edited by GORDONCHICK

The photos we can agree on. But the OP is really finally acknowleging NCL for posting the new menu. NCL asks you to pre-book restaurants. It is only fair that they post the real menu along with the new price, right? I think that was the majority of the OP thread. The shrimp photos are valid points but not the main point ;) The irony is the shrimp photos were actually REAL Cagney's photos (at one time). So why such a fuss to acknowledge the photo is no longer the case :)

Maybe it is just me, but boy do I miss the old Cagneys of 2009. JUMBO shrimp, porterhouse steaks, better french fries, and only $20 :) :)

Looking at the number of paragraphs, the shrimp count comprises the majority of the post, not the sample menu issue.

Not that NCL shouldn't make the picture as accurate as possible, but the OP is making much ado about nothing.

Just because it's a slow Saturday night............

Why wouldn't the shrimp share his treasure? Because he was a little shellfish.

A shrimp walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "I'm sorry, but we don't serve food here..."

My apologies. :D

Don't apologize...it's the best post on this thread...by a wide margin...:D

Maybe NCL felt they had to reduce the size of the shrimp, because literalists were complaining that JUMBO shrimp is an oxymoron. ;)

You actually made my point. Thank you :)

Please re-read my post. The OP was thanking NCL for finally posting the new Cagneys menu (although they posted the new price long ago). I think the OP was a bit silly with the shrimp but fair is fair. I dont see the heaven/hell or black/white analogy you mention. I think the OP thread is harmless but brings up a valid discussion. To discard the OP thread all together and attack it is what I am against. Totally harmless thread. So actually WE AGREE if you think through it ;)

Although I willl disagree with you about the menus. If NCL has options to pre-book restaurants (with no refund) then it is not only FAIR, but RIGHT and JUST, they post the REAL MENU. To surprise someone on the spot as you suggest is wrong. But NCL finally did post the new menu so it is done ;)

Are you saying that if you pre-book a speciality restaurant and decide later you do not want to eat there, you get NO REFUND!!!!!?

When does this travesty happen? can you change your mind/switch to a different venue before you cruise without penalty? OR would you forfiet your payment only if you decided not to go while on the cruise?

I have never encountered something like this so if it is true I certainly would never prepay ! Supose you become ill on board the day of your reservation or heaven forbid had to cancel your cruise????