Lesson Learned in Rome

CathyCruises

I have recommended Hotel Raffaello near Termini many times on these boards, based on a one week stay there several years ago (and a bargain rate of 75E/night). I promise never to do that again.

On our most recent trip, we made the decision to stay in the Centro Storico, and I don't think I can adequately express what a huge difference it made. I will never stay, nor advocate staying, near Termini again.

While it may seem convenient to have your hotel near the train station, in reality it is only a cab ride away from the much better options.

We stayed in a small not-really-hotel called Relais Teatro Argentina; just 6 rooms on the third floor, but in a fantastic location that was truly 3-5 minutes walk from just about anywhere: Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore, Piazza Venezia, the Capitoline Museum, etc.; the max would be 15 minutes strolling time to either the Spanish Steps or the Colosseum or the Vatican. From our old hotel, it was a 10 minute walk just to get to the bus stop that took us to those places! We found the restaurants to be much better as well--we ate better on this trip than any other. We felt safe strolling late in the evening (unlike the Termini area) and frequently went out for gelato at 11 PM.

When it was time to catch our train for Torino, there was a cab stand right outside, and for 12 euros we were at Termini in 10 minutes. I would much rather do that than have the hotel in walking distance from the train station, but having to hike everywhere else. We had a much richer experience, and actually paid less than our old hotel is now charging.

That's it, my 2 cents worth.

I have recommended Hotel Raffaello near Termini many times on these boards, based on a one week stay there several years ago (and a bargain rate of 75E/night). I promise never to do that again.

On our most recent trip, we made the decision to stay in the Centro Storico, and I don't think I can adequately express what a huge difference it made. I will never stay, nor advocate staying, near Termini again.

While it may seem convenient to have your hotel near the train station, in reality it is only a cab ride away from the much better options.

We stayed in a small not-really-hotel called Relais Teatro Argentina; just 6 rooms on the third floor, but in a fantastic location that was truly 3-5 minutes walk from just about anywhere: Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore, Piazza Venezia, the Capitoline Museum, etc.; the max would be 15 minutes strolling time to either the Spanish Steps or the Colosseum or the Vatican. From our old hotel, it was a 10 minute walk just to get to the bus stop that took us to those places! We found the restaurants to be much better as well--we ate better on this trip than any other. We felt safe strolling late in the evening (unlike the Termini area) and frequently went out for gelato at 11 PM.

When it was time to catch our train for Torino, there was a cab stand right outside, and for 12 euros we were at Termini in 10 minutes. I would much rather do that than have the hotel in walking distance from the train station, but having to hike everywhere else. We had a much richer experience, and actually paid less than our old hotel is now charging.

That's it, my 2 cents worth.

Thank you for posting..this is a nice little place in a great area of Rome(IMHO) even though I have not stayed there I know the area.I have never understood why people feel they must stsy near the train station in any city really,but like you,once you know a bit of Rome you can see how easy it is to stay in another area,but get around really well.I hope a lot of people read your post.

That is a great section of Rome to stay! I'm hoping you got your gelato at Gelateria Artigianale Corona, just down from your place, across from the place where they just dug up the Roman columns by the Argentina tram stop!!! Definitely the best gelato of my stay in Italy!!!

I never stay near train stations - I've never seen a nice area around a train station. Like you now, I'd rather pay for a taxi to get back to the station than feel like, once I get in the room, I can't leave.

It's so interesting to me how much our first visits impact our perceptions and later choices. I stayed in Trastevere the first time I went to Rome, just across the bridge from Isola Tiberina. For several years I couldn't image staying anywhere else in Rome, anywhere more central. That is until I was there on business and was booked into the Albergo Cesari, between the Pantheon and Via del Corso. It was like a whole new world!

Good for you Cathy for trying something new!

It's so interesting to me how much our first visits impact our perceptions and later choices. I stayed in Trastevere the first time I went to Rome, just across the bridge from Isola Tiberina. For several years I couldn't image staying anywhere else in Rome, anywhere more central. That is until I was there on business and was booked into the Albergo Cesari, between the Pantheon and Via del Corso. It was like a whole new world!

Good for you Cathy for trying something new!

Yes, we walked right by Albergo Cesari; I remember Cruisemom recommending it. We were on our way to get an after dinner coffee at Café Sant' Eustachio, as recommended by SliderGirl I think! Hopefully that will be in our budget next time, although the place we stayed was very nice, just no hotel facilities (like a lift!). But our room and bathroom were very spacious (especially by European standards) and we overlooked a pretty little terrace where we could have our breakfast. It was unconventional but we liked it!

We have been trying new areas in Paris, too, but our standout, longtime favorite is still, of all places, right at the Pantheon!! Just like Rome. . .;)

Yes, we walked right by Albergo Cesari; I remember Cruisemom recommending it. We were on our way to get an after dinner coffee at Café Sant' Eustachio, as recommended by SliderGirl I think! Hopefully that will be in our budget next time, although the place we stayed was very nice, just no hotel facilities (like a lift!). But our room and bathroom were very spacious (especially by European standards) and we overlooked a pretty little terrace where we could have our breakfast. It was unconventional but we liked it!

We have been trying new areas in Paris, too, but our standout, longtime favorite is still, of all places, right at the Pantheon!! Just like Rome. . .;)

I recommended Eustachio if you like your espresso and granitas sweet. It's too sweet for me. I prefer Tazo di Oro up the street on the right from the Pantheon. But either of those two are the ones most recommended along the tourist tracks.

I went way out of my way this time. The first time, I stayed at the Grand Hotel De La Minerve, behind the Pantheon. I really couldn't afford it, but I was celebrating my freedom after my divorce. The rooftop bar is amazing at night!! This time, I stayed up at the Rome Cavalieri. Couldn't pass up 4 free nights at a 5* Waldorf Astoria hotel!!! The one really good thing up there is that it is a little cooler up there than down in the city. And it has a pillow menu with, I kid you not, ELEVEN different pillows to choose from!!!

I go to Rome often enough that I enjoy staying in different areas just to get a perspective on the location. My usual pattern seems to be that one visit I'll try a new area and then the next visit I'll return to the Pantheon area I like best.

So far, I have not found a location I enjoy more than the very central Pantheon area, and I've stayed atop the Spanish Steps, near the Vatican, near Termini, in the Monti area (second favorite) and on the Via Veneto. I haven't stayed in Trastevere (yet).

I go to Rome often enough that I enjoy staying in different areas just to get a perspective on the location. My usual pattern seems to be that one visit I'll try a new area and then the next visit I'll return to the Pantheon area I like best.

So far, I have not found a location I enjoy more than the very central Pantheon area, and I've stayed atop the Spanish Steps, near the Vatican, near Termini, in the Monti area (second favorite) and on the Via Veneto. I haven't stayed in Trastevere (yet).

Funny you should say that--Trastevere was my backup plan. ;) BTW, did you see the email I posted to you on another thread about the restaurant I found right around the corner from La Pigna?

Funny you should say that--Trastevere was my backup plan. ;) BTW, did you see the email I posted to you on another thread about the restaurant I found right around the corner from La Pigna?

I'm sorry to say that I didn't see your recommendation in time to try it. However, I'll add it to my list to check out on a future visit.

That's the good thing -- I know I'll be back again. :D

Hi cruisemom42. Do you stay in the same hotel in the Pantheon area or different hotels? Are there any hotels that you enjoyed over the others or found to be more reasonably priced? We're staying in a group of 4 (myself, DH, son, MIL) 3 nights precruise. We've stayed in the Prati neighborhood on a previous trip and found that location to be long walks everywhere, except the Vatican.

Hi cruisemom42. Do you stay in the same hotel in the Pantheon area or different hotels? Are there any hotels that you enjoyed over the others or found to be more reasonably priced? We're staying in a group of 4 (myself, DH, son, MIL) 3 nights precruise. We've stayed in the Prati neighborhood on a previous trip and found that location to be long walks everywhere, except the Vatican.

Recently my stays have been at the (fairly expensive) Albergo del Senato. Prior to discovering this hotel -- my splurge in Rome -- I stayed at another nearby hotel the Albergo Cesari. It used to be less expensive than del Senato, but in recent years when I've compared prices there has not been much difference, unfortunately.

The Albergo Santa Chiara is another hotel right next to the Pantheon and a bit cheaper. I haven't stayed there but have been inside it and seen a room (friend staying there). I'd certainly recommend it as an option.

If you don't have to be right at the Pantheon, a hotel that is inexpensive (by Rome standards) and very centrally located near Piazza Navona -- still in the very walkable center -- is Hotel Smeraldo. It is a great deal, and because of that it books up very early, so if you are interested I'd book as soon as possible there.

We too like staying near the Pantheon/Piazza Navonna area. Our first visit we stayed at a very nice hotel right down from the Spanish Steps. While it was a nice location we have since stayed only near the Pantheon. We walk everywhere from there.

We stayed one time at the Albergo del Senato - wonderful hotel. But the last time we went with another couple and stayed in an apartment literally steps from the door of the del Senato. 3 bedrooms - 2 baths - living room/dining - kitchen -and even a library with fast free internet.

We have found if staying 3 nights or more you can save ALOT OF $$$ by renting an apartment. Crazy but true. Whats more there are tons of them all over the Centro Storico area - from studios to large ones. Ours had a lift albeit small (aren't they all in Europe?) and the owner lived onsite and was very helpful in a few instances.

We are going back again in October with my MIL/FIL and staying in a 2 bedroom 20 steps from Piazza Navonna. This one has 1 small step into the building and a lift to our apartment. MIL has mobility issues and the property management company worked with me to find the perfect one for us.

Bottom line - we will pretty much always stay in that area ~ cuz "if it aint broke - don't fix it " ;)

We too like staying near the Pantheon/Piazza Navonna area. Our first visit we stayed at a very nice hotel right down from the Spanish Steps. While it was a nice location we have since stayed only near the Pantheon. We walk everywhere from there.

We stayed one time at the Albergo del Senato - wonderful hotel. But the last time we went with another couple and stayed in an apartment literally steps from the door of the del Senato. 3 bedrooms - 2 baths - living room/dining - kitchen -and even a library with fast free internet.

We have found if staying 3 nights or more you can save ALOT OF $$$ by renting an apartment. Crazy but true. Whats more there are tons of them all over the Centro Storico area - from studios to large ones. Ours had a lift albeit small (aren't they all in Europe?) and the owner lived onsite and was very helpful in a few instances.

We are going back again in October with my MIL/FIL and staying in a 2 bedroom 20 steps from Piazza Navonna. This one has 1 small step into the building and a lift to our apartment. MIL has mobility issues and the property management company worked with me to find the perfect one for us.

Bottom line - we will pretty much always stay in that area ~ cuz "if it aint broke - don't fix it " ;)

Cruisemom, thank you for the input. Hotel Smeraldo seems to be more in the range that we're looking for.

texancruzer, are you staying in an apartment again in Oct? Did you book through vrbo or another site?

Thanks for all your help!

Cruisemom, thank you for the input. Hotel Smeraldo seems to be more in the range that we're looking for.

texancruzer, are you staying in an apartment again in Oct? Did you book through vrbo or another site?

Yes we are !!! We have a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment this time near Piazza Pasquino which is just a few steps off of Piazza Navonna. Will have to look up who we booked thru this time..... don't have the info right at hand at the moment. But they were very helpful in working with us to find just the right apartment since my mother in law has mobility issues. She can walk, just not far or fast and she doesn't do well with a lot of steps...... I think it will work out great for us.

I will look and see who I used this time and come back and post later. ;)

Yes, we walked right by Hotel Smeraldo on our way to Campo Di Fiore; it was a great location and looked cute from the outside. I had actually booked it before I found the one we ended up in; the only reason I changed was because many reviews talked about the tiny rooms. We were very happy with www.relaisteatroargentina.com; but we are very independent travelers and don't need a lot of hotel-type services. Our room and bathroom were very spacious and the owner was lovely, just not there much of the time. I think she just comes to check people in.

Archived