Tourist information onboard

calvin81

I remember from our past cruises there were representatives onboard from the local tourist information offices, but can't recall if they were onboard right away in tender ports. We only had a couple tender ports on past cruises, but this next one has several. We're looking for good maps and train/bus schedules. I am finding online sources, but don't want to print things needlessly at home and drag it along, only to have a nice map available onboard. We have a Rick Steves guidebook, but he still uses way too many hand drawn maps IMHO.

I remember from our past cruises there were representatives onboard from the local tourist information offices, but can't recall if they were onboard right away in tender ports. We only had a couple tender ports on past cruises, but this next one has several. We're looking for good maps and train/bus schedules. I am finding online sources, but don't want to print things needlessly at home and drag it along, only to have a nice map available onboard. We have a Rick Steves guidebook, but he still uses way too many hand drawn maps IMHO.

They usually return with the first tender from shore (this one is usually for staff only to set up the tendering post).

So, they are normally there before passenger tendering starts but often have long lines.

I would take your own & toss as you go

Then you are prepared to go ashore & not have to line up for info

I make notes of the important features of the port ..take a small city map if needed

Not too much to carry

If you have a smartphone, see if there are free or inexpensive travel apps you can download that have maps and guides.

Foe example, a company called Tripwolf makes travel apps for iPhones and Androids. http://www.tripwolf.com/en/page/travel-app

Here's one available from the iTunes store for the iPhone:

"Italy Travel Guide with Offline Maps - (Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, Naples, Siena, Toscana, Sicily, Vayikan, Sardinia, Apulius, Veneto, Piemont, Pisa, Bologna, South Tyrol, Lake Garda, Ischia, Capri)"

On our Riviera B2B in March this year there were maps left with the Daily Currents on our bed the night before. They were basic maps with Oceania printed on front but they had lots of info and points of interest printed/marked on them. I think these maps were also available on the shelf at the Destination Services desk on morning of arrival but cannot say if they were available the night before the port. This was not the case on our B2B on Riviera last year, so not sure if it is a new thing

Also any Conceirge onboard would print you a map prior to arrival & also from memory last year maps were available in the Conceirge lounge prior to disembarkation.(we were not in a Conceirge cabin this year)

I think these were maps that the Conceirge himself had printed out as service to his clients so maybe they were not available in all lounges.

This particular Conceirge is a very experienced, long serving crew member and always goes way & beyond what is required.He has been onboard 8 of my 10 Oceania cruises and has always been the same.

I would take your own & toss as you go

Then you are prepared to go ashore & not have to line up for info

I make notes of the important features of the port ..take a small city map if needed

Not too much to carry

I agree. Some folks on our recent cruise were totally unprepared for certain ports and would unfairly monopolize the single rep despite the lengthy line to ask a question or two. It was very rude and somewhat ridiculous to have no clue about a port you are going to visit. In one port I overheard one cruiser ask the on board rep,"What is there to see and do here?" EEK!

We always print out info ahead of time. Sometimes we take a book and rip out pages as we go. You can just pick up a map and go. A much better option IMO

We also found there were plenty of locals around once you disembarked, often with better maps and more than willing to answer a few questions

I print out a daily itinerary which includes all useful info for each port ex: excursions, cash needed for tours, taxis, contact info, articles, maps & even some plan B scenarios...

I am always stunned by persons who travel without making proper plans, it's half the fun!

Yes I will have a folder for each day on what to see and do. I was just hoping to not have to print out maps at home -- flimsy paper and awkward sizes to print. Planning is a big part of the enjoyment of travel and I too am amazed when people get to a place and have no idea what to do and see. I will miss the research when it's over, but then will have all the pictures to organize :).

Yes I will have a folder for each day on what to see and do. I was just hoping to not have to print out maps at home -- flimsy paper and awkward sizes to print. Planning is a big part of the enjoyment of travel and I too am amazed when people get to a place and have no idea what to do and see. I will miss the research when it's over, but then will have all the pictures to organize :).

For the most part the maps given out when the tourist representative comes on board are not very good. They always don't have a map of the area you may be going. You do better contacting the tourist boards and having literature and maps sent to you before you leave or going to the local information center when you get off the ship. Most information centers are very nearby. Rick Steves has very good maps in his books.

I would also go on line and get the train/bus schedules before you leave. The tourist reps weren't very good with transportation schedules but then again I couldn't tell anyone the bus and train schedules for my neck of the woods either.

The reps. are on board with the 1st tender, they usually have a basic map with highlights. Some info material have even been excellent, it depends on the port. Your daily planner, along with the maps that the travel-reps distribute, should be sufficient as you appear to be well prepared.

I also note (on my planner) where the Tourist Office is for each port...they have excellent info. including booklets&maps. On a few occasions the O shuttle drop off was very near the city tourist bureau. To get over your 'missing the travel research', you have to book another trip when you get home!

BonVoyage calvin

On our Riviera B2B in March this year there were maps left with the Daily Currents on our bed the night before. They were basic maps with Oceania printed on front but they had lots of info and points of interest printed/marked on them. I think these maps were also available on the shelf at the Destination Services desk on morning of arrival but cannot say if they were available the night before the port.

Further to post #5 where I mentioned maps being left on the bed the night before. Well I found them today and have attached 1 showing the front cover which lists some local information. Could not get the opened up scanned map to upload on CC sorry. But have confirmed with a Conceirge currently on board an Riviera that all ships now have these maps each day - they are part of the onboard port shopping lectures/guide?? Sorry but cannot remember the exact title of this position/person. Sorry in advancre for the sizing but could not get it to show larger.

822877761_FRONTOFMAPINFO.jpg.712a4dc7bdc710c593694c2cc3b0d0cb.jpg

Further to post #5 where I mentioned maps being left on the bed the night before. Well I found them today and have attached 1 showing the front cover which lists some local information. Could not get the opened up scanned map to upload on CC sorry. But have confirmed with a Conceirge currently on board an Riviera that all ships now have these maps each day - they are part of the onboard port shopping lectures/guide?? Sorry but cannot remember the exact title of this position/person. Sorry in advancre for the sizing but could not get it to show larger.

We just completed a Polynesian cruise on the Marina in April in a B4 and did not receive any maps or literature of that nature.

Archived