Villa Borghese

calvin81

We are arriving in Rome one day before our cruise and are trying to decide what to do in the afternoon. We have been to Rome before on a land trip and in our several days in Rome we saw all the highlights. Our flight arrives mid morning, so by the time we get to our hotel and drop our bags it will be time for lunch. With jet lag (I never get much sleep on the flight) we probably won't have much energy. We hadn't been to Villa Borghese and I wonder if the gardens are worth checking out. It's good to stay out in the sunshine, but if it's just a big park without many flowers I think we'll just tire ourselves walking around. We aren't into museums that much, and as I said, we've seen the major sites recently. Any suggestions?

We are arriving in Rome one day before our cruise and are trying to decide what to do in the afternoon. We have been to Rome before on a land trip and in our several days in Rome we saw all the highlights. Our flight arrives mid morning, so by the time we get to our hotel and drop our bags it will be time for lunch. With jet lag (I never get much sleep on the flight) we probably won't have much energy. We hadn't been to Villa Borghese and I wonder if the gardens are worth checking out. It's good to stay out in the sunshine, but if it's just a big park without many flowers I think we'll just tire ourselves walking around. We aren't into museums that much, and as I said, we've seen the major sites recently. Any suggestions?

It is really too bad that you say u aren't into museums that much b/c the Borghese Villa has the absolute most exquisite sculptures that you think will come to life any second. THe audio guide is well worth the 5 euros. My husband isn't into museums either, but this was one he wanted to go back to again.

When are you there? I've been there in the spring and thought it was breathtaking and I've been there in the summer and it was beautiful but more like a park with green trees.

On our trip last May we arrived mid-morning also and didn't want a hard day to start with jet lag. We stayed at the Sofitel Villa Borghese which is very close to the park. We had the hotel make reservations for the Gallery mid-afternoon and after a short rest at the hotel walked through the park and went through the gallery. The park was nice but nothing special. I wouldn't go out of my way to just see the park. The Borghese Gallery in the park is fantastic. I'm not into museums either but like sculptures. The Gallery has some of the most amazing Bernini's I've ever seen. They let groups in in two hour intervals so it isn't very crowded unlike the Vatican museum. It was a nice way to start our trip in Rome. Make reservations in advance. It sells out early. Also you have to check purses and bags if that is a concern.

The park is lovely to just walk around, but if you're feeling ambitious (or romantic) you can rent a small boat and row out to the temple of Aesculapius. There's also an old water clock which, unfortunately, has been out of order for years but is still interesting to look at.

The Borghese Gallery is wonderful...amazing sculptures....we arrived the same time of day you will...hired a guide from Rome In Limo do to a 3 hour walking tour that afternoon which included the gallery, it was great decision, the gardens are beautiful too...by the end of the day we had dinner and crashed....took care of the time differential wonderfully by staying up till "normal" hour and began the next day ready to go!!! It was the 2nd time we had done this and we'll do the same on next visit. I definitely recommend going to both the gardens and the gallery!

I have been to Rome many, many times as my friend lives there, but I certainly haven't seen nearly half of what Rome has to offer. The Villa Borghese park is OK, but we probably have prettier parks in London. At the bottom of the park there is a lovely view over Rome, but I wouldn't say it is anything special.

However, the gallery and exhibits are breathtaking and certainly should be on everybodies itinerary. You need to book online in advance and as already mentioned, gets sold out quickly.

One thing I really enjoyed, but not exactly the Borghese Gardens as such, was a visit to Piazza Popolo, after which climbed up the stairs to the Borghese Gardens and the look out over Piazza Popolo.

The view over Rome is great, especially at the end of the day when all gets that pink hue. Lots of locals in the park and a nice atmosphere.

Stay at the edge and walk from there to come down at the Spanish Steps.

• 3 months later...
I have been to Rome many, many times as my friend lives there, but I certainly haven't seen nearly half of what Rome has to offer. The Villa Borghese park is OK, but we probably have prettier parks in London. At the bottom of the park there is a lovely view over Rome, but I wouldn't say it is anything special.

However, the gallery and exhibits are breathtaking and certainly should be on everybodies itinerary. You need to book online in advance and as already mentioned, gets sold out quickly.

Can you use a Roma Pass if you book online in advance?

I recommend renting a bike, or if you are tired from jetlag, one of the pedal-powered, semi-motorized carriages/rickshaws to tour the gardens. At 148 acres, it's not a huge park but it's still more than most people can cover by walking. By renting a regular bike or powered rickshaw, you can cover more ground and it's a lot of fun.

View over Spanish Steps is good!

The Museum is good

The park wasn't worth it in my opinion,

compared to everything else that is great in Rome.

It's like any park you have seen before - trees and dirt and grass.

The boat pond wasn't that pretty either.

It's definitely not beautiful landscaped gardens!

If you want to see some very interesting gardens you might want to consider a day trip out to Tivoli with a visit to the gardens at Villa d'Este.

Hank

That's exactly what we are planning to do.

We are also hoping to go to Borghese museum. Not especially going to the park but definitely want to go to museum. I guess we buy Roma pass in rome then use it to enter Borghese but I still have to reserve in advance. How far in advance can I book?

We are also hoping to go to Borghese museum. Not especially going to the park but definitely want to go to museum. I guess we buy Roma pass in rome then use it to enter Borghese but I still have to reserve in advance. How far in advance can I book?
They're taking reservations now through the end of October.

http://www.tosc.it/tickets.htm?affiliate=T2C&sort_by=event_datum&sort_direction=asc&fun=erdetail&doc=erdetaila&erid=912678&language=en

Thank you euro cruiser. If I use a Roma Pass how does that work for booking online in advance? I understand I have to phone? from home?

Thank you euro cruiser. If I use a Roma Pass how does that work for booking online in advance? I understand I have to phone? from home?

My experience visiting Galleria Borghese twice is that it is best to make the reservations in advance rather than waiting until you arrive in Rome. Popular times do sell out even in shoulder seasons.

There is info on the Roma Pass website under FAQs about how to make your reservation for the Borghese if you are planning to use this as one of your two free entries:

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=33#faqq20

(scroll down to the FAQs dealing with Reservations)

The Villa Borghese was well worth a visit. First the villa itself is beautiful. Going from room to room & looking at the ceilings, the doors, floors, windows, the shutters. It's a beautiful building. Picturing yourself dining outside on the patio in the warm weather. Then you add the artwork. The Bernini sculptures were really incredible. You can walk around a whole sculpture and see it from all angles. So up close and personal. On the sculpture of The Rape of Proserpina when you see Plutos hand on Proserpina's leg, Plutos hand looks like it is sinking into Proserpina's leg. It's made out of marble and it is so life like and the sculpture was done so very long ago without any computers to help the artist. It really is breathtaking. There will be many Bernini fountains, and sculptures in Rome so seeing the sculptures in the Villa will make it really special when you see more. One more great highlight of the Villa Borghese was the coffee bar in the basement. It was some of the best coffee that we had in Rome. If you decide to go let us know what you thought when you get back.

The Villa Borghese was well worth a visit. First the villa itself is beautiful. Going from room to room & looking at the ceilings, the doors, floors, windows, the shutters. It's a beautiful building. Picturing yourself dining outside on the patio in the warm weather. Then you add the artwork. The Bernini sculptures were really incredible. You can walk around a whole sculpture and see it from all angles. So up close and personal. On the sculpture of The Rape of Proserpina when you see Plutos hand on Proserpina's leg, Plutos hand looks like it is sinking into Proserpina's leg. It's made out of marble and it is so life like and the sculpture was done so very long ago without any computers to help the artist. It really is breathtaking. There will be many Bernini fountains, and sculptures in Rome so seeing the sculptures in the Villa will make it really special when you see more. One more great highlight of the Villa Borghese was the coffee bar in the basement. It was some of the best coffee that we had in Rome. If you decide to go let us know what you thought when you get back.

WOW, sounds amazing. Yes, I am really looking forward to it. I have been reading Rick Steve's books on Rome. Very very helpful too. Just trying to sort out how I book in advance from home by phoning. Is it costly to phone? Seems sort of an antiquated way to reserve a time. Is it toll free I wonder?

WOW, sounds amazing. Yes, I am really looking forward to it. I have been reading Rick Steve's books on Rome. Very very helpful too. Just trying to sort out how I book in advance from home by phoning. Is it costly to phone? Seems sort of an antiquated way to reserve a time. Is it toll free I wonder?

It's not toll free but the cost is minimal. Remember to call during Italian business hours.

You only have to phone if you want to use the Roma Pass for free entry.

It's not toll free but the cost is minimal. Remember to call during Italian business hours.

You only have to phone if you want to use the Roma Pass for free entry.

For sure. It's a bit tricky to time it right. LOL. Will have to do it first thing in the morning.

Archived