Bringing food on board?

I know you've probably seen this question a thousand times but can you bring any food item on board? I'm a Girl Scout leader taking 9 girls (14 and 15 yrs old) on the Enchantment this Friday. We were talking about bringing some unopened boxes of GS cookies on board to leave as extra thank yous for our cabin stewards and servers. Can we do this without problems? I figure any one helping me take care of them could use a little something extra! :)

Generally there is no issue bringing sealed foods on or off the ship; it is only fresh foods (i.e. fruits, vegetables, meats etc.) that can sometimes be problematic.

Enjoy the cruise. :)

I figure any one helping me take care of them could use a little something extra! :)

You will soon get the lecture about how money is the only thing "extra" they can use. People get in an uproar here about giving staff "gifts" other than cash. :)

You will soon get the lecture about how money is the only thing "extra" they can use. People get in an uproar here about giving staff "gifts" other than cash. :)

I wonder how many things other than cash is given and how much ends up in the trash. I'm sure they will act appreciative at the time but end up just tossing it later. They are on a ship with tons of food so IMO giving them any type of food is a waste. Unless you have had a conversation with them and they specify something that they really like.

I wonder how many things other than cash is given and how much ends up in the trash. I'm sure they will act appreciative at the time but end up just tossing it later. They are on a ship with tons of food so IMO giving them any type of food is a waste. Unless you have had a conversation with them and they specify something that they really like.

I always bring a few phone cards......$20 each for extra gifts. Everyone can use a phone card.

These do not replace regular gratuities....just for something special.

Awesome idea! :D I keep a stash of " thanks alots" in our troop equipment area as thank you for speakers or organization heads who help out the girls, always appreciated!;)

Unopened snacks are a great idea. We also bring single serve packs of nuts and granola bars that the girls ( my own, haven't cruised with the troop) can bring them in their pockets on shore for snacking. And if they don't eat them, they can bring them back since they are sealed in the package ( vs parceling out nuts in a Baggie, which would have to be dumped on the way back on board).

Lucky cabin stewards;)

:D This is true! Expect lectures from others about giving any gifts other than cash.

:rolleyes: Thing is ... cash really is what your room steward really had rather have. ....

LuLu

~~~~

I think if someone isn't expecting a tip or something extra, then whatever you give them would be appreciated. I think Girl Scout cookies is a great token of thanks. I would be thrilled to receive that as a added bonus from an appreciative customer. These are something you cant just buy anywhere at anytime and they are especially yummy. More yummy than the cookies on the ship, in my opinion. Not sure how/ why people insist on picking apart something like trying to do a nice gesture. Must get tiring always being right, knowing what is best and being smarter than everyone else.

Bringing girl scout cookies is a wonderful idea! The girls raised money selling cookies and are traveling as a group, giving cookies as an additional thanks is perfect. I bet some of the stewards have never even seen them before.

It is posts like I have seen on other threads saying they give a couple little candies as "rewards" that are inappropriate.

I think this is a great idea! You may have to explain to them what the cookies are all about but Im sure once they taste them they will be hooked.

And to those who will say cash is king - I think this idea is in addition to any cash tip they would be receiving.

I always bring a few phone cards......$20 each for extra gifts. Everyone can use a phone card.

I can't believe how often the phone cards come up here. Who can be sure how easily they can even be used from a ship or various foreign ports. I suspect 99.9% of the staff would rather have an extra 20.00 cash rather than a phone card, and that they don't consider a phone card "something special"...........

Think about it, would you give the waitress back home a phone card as "something special"? No, she's working for tips as her wage just like the staff on a ship and she would rather have more CASH and make her own decisions on what to spend it on.

There has been a ton of discussions around giving phone cards and why it isnt a good idea. Give what you want but I wouldn't want to waste money on something and have them toss it after I left because it was something they couldn't use. I feel like giving something other than cash is more about the giver then the person receiving. Just my opinion of course.

I'm always cautious in giving food as a gift unless I know the person well enough to know if they have allergies, are diabetic or on a special diet for any reason. While cookies from the girl scouts sounds like a cute idea, it is possible that the person receiving the cookies might not be able to eat them. Of course they could give them to someone else but it's not much of a gift if the thought behind it is "well, they can always give it to someone else.":D

Sherri:)

I know you've probably seen this question a thousand times but can you bring any food item on board? I'm a Girl Scout leader taking 9 girls (14 and 15 yrs old) on the Enchantment this Friday. We were talking about bringing some unopened boxes of GS cookies on board to leave as extra thank yous for our cabin stewards and servers. Can we do this without problems? I figure any one helping me take care of them could use a little something extra! :)

I've always considered bringing on a couple bags of popcorn to have in our cabin. I'm a popcorn addict; well... not all popcorn especially buttery popcorn. I just love Skinny Pop. I've never missed it while cruising even though I probably eat 3 bags a week at home. It must be because I'm not a snacker on the ship. I'm sure if the bars served any type of munchies then I'd be snacking.

Well IMHO, girl scout cookies are WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the crappie cookies on RCI ships. Just thinking about those cookies at the lunch buffet makes me want to barf.

I bet the staff would love girl scout cookies.

Last time I was in the phillippines I asked my point of contact what aFilipino who hasn't been home in a long time would like. So I purchased some of these dried mango things and sure enough our Filipino cabin stewart and assistant waiter absolutely LOVED these gestures. I gave these in addition to their cash tips.

While that is a nice thought, there are a few reasons why this is often not useful:

1) Many of the staff use Skype or similar methods for calling home; they are able to do this for free from wifi hotspots in ports. As such much of the staff would not have any use for a phone card.

2) Phone cards have restrictions on where they can be used and where you can call to using them; as such even in the event the person wanted to use the card, the card may not work.

3) The staff has access to purchasing calling cards at discounted prices compared to what you pay - so instead of you paying $20 for a card, if you gave them $20 cash and they did actually need a calling card, they could purchase a card that would work for where they are calling to/from AND have more minutes. If they are among the many staff that uses Skype for calling home, then they would be able to use the money for something they truly need or want.

Because of these reasons a gift of a phone card is about on par with giving them a framed picture of yourself as a gift.

Initially I thought giving Girl Scout cookies was a cute idea. Not particularly needed or wanted, but cute. Then I realized that the people you are giving them to have no idea what they are other than just another cookie. If you give a box to someone from the US they probably have some kind of childhood memory connected to Girl Scout cookies and would probably appreciate them, but someone from India or China have no idea what they are and are just as likely to toss them as eat them.

Just my 2cents but I'd save the packing space for more clothes or shoes.

WOW! Who knew this would start such a discussion!:eek: We have already prepaid our gratuities but I thought that a box of GS cookies signed by the girls in each room would just be a sweet gesture from us. I'm certain glad at least half of you think the same! We are very excited about our trip. Most of our girls have never been on a cruise before and they had to sell a whole lotta cookies to have this opportunity! Thanks for love folks! :D

Guitargal, I think this is a very cute idea considering your group! :D I thought I read in an earlier post your girls would be wearing their uniforms on formal night? Even if someone didn't know what girl scouts were, they would see the girls on the boxes wearing the same uniforms. Go ahead and bring them, I think this is wonderful. By the way, if you can advise on if there is an actual formal night or just smart casual, I would appreciate it, doing the same cruise on Labor Day! :) So far, the returning 3 nighters have not posted any compasses. :( Have fun!! :D

While that is a nice thought, there are a few reasons why this is often not useful:

1) Many of the staff use Skype or similar methods for calling home; they are able to do this for free from wifi hotspots in ports. As such much of the staff would not have any use for a phone card.

2) Phone cards have restrictions on where they can be used and where you can call to using them; as such even in the event the person wanted to use the card, the card may not work.

3) The staff has access to purchasing calling cards at discounted prices compared to what you pay - so instead of you paying $20 for a card, if you gave them $20 cash and they did actually need a calling card, they could purchase a card that would work for where they are calling to/from AND have more minutes. If they are among the many staff that uses Skype for calling home, then they would be able to use the money for something they truly need or want.

Because of these reasons a gift of a phone card is about on par with giving them a framed picture of yourself as a gift.

AWWWWWW SHUCKS! How did you know. My photo is my second choice!!! Ha ha

Good thing I didn't listen to you before our Explorer trip. Our Portofino waiter used his cards before our cruise was over. He had just returned from vacation and his new baby girl. He appreciated ANY way he could hear her voice.

Do you carry many photos of yourself when you cruise?

Archived