YAWG (Yet Another Website Gaff)

helpthejuggler

"Gifts by Celebrity" OBC

While checking out this recommendation to gift myself some OBC before I sail....which might be good value but it depends upon the exchange rate used.

The cost is 15.40 GBP. I can buy 1 or more up to 9 of these.

But the crucial piece of information that is missing....

how much OBC do I get for each £15.40?

It may be obvious if you buy from the US since the cost will be $25. But if you buy from the rest of the world

I can take a guess at $25, but for the moment....I'm calling these YAWGs.

YAWG - An easy to fix, trivial lack of information, factually incorrect description or outdated policy on the Celebrity website.

Actually, you might get 15.40 UKP credit, converted at the ship's currency conversion rate to $'s when the ship departs...or perhaps at the conversion rate on the day you buy the OBC.

There's really no way to tell, I presume, from the web page.

As far as the web page being incomplete, inaccurate, this is just another one....so it's ho hum news.

I had not thought of that possibility, but the problem is --- it just does not say. I assume if you do this from the US it is more definitive.

But I assume they will take payment today it could be £15.40 worth of USD. Even more important that they exchange rate is given.

I believe some UK people did this on our Caribbean cruise and benefited from a good exchange rate.

I think Celebrity's website is manned by a group of intelligent chimpanzees I think. Oh, sorry, I'm being rude to chimpanzees. :p

Seriously, there are a lot of flaws with their computer programming. They should have a liaison person who tests everything and ISN'T a computer person, because they might then find the errors and fix them.

Back to your savings - I really don't think you will get the going rate when you sail for OBC you buy now - but what is the down side? If you buy it now and get the current rate you save. If you don't, you don't save but you aren't out anything either. Sort of a way to prepay some of your expenses.

Beth

You do get units of $25 at the cost of £15.40. I agree it's not clear, but you do get the $25 units. At this current price it's a great deal based on the going exchange rate. If you want to buy more than 9x$25 you can do that by purchasing more multiples.

Phil

Don't know if that is that good of a deal.. with the online converter it shows you would pay $23 for the $25 gift

Don't know if that is that good of a deal.. with the online converter it shows you would pay $23 for the $25 gift

I don't understand your calculation. USD25 divided by GBP15.40 = 1.623. Current £ to $ rate for credit cards is probably less than 1.50 at the moment.

Phil

Yep, my converter says 15.40 GBPs will get you a whopping $23.17 :eek:, so basically you are just sending yourself onboard money.

To the OP... way too many YAWGs on the Celebrity website to count! :(

Actually, you might get 15.40 UKP credit, converted at the ship's currency conversion rate to $'s when the ship departs...or perhaps at the conversion rate on the day you buy the OBC.

NO!

You purchase $25 of OBC for the price stated [currently and for a long time, £15.40]. Which, IS an excellent exchange rate.

For the OP, at present, the rate is so good that it can take a long time for your purchase to be confirmed. They are processed in order of SAILING date and not purchase date. You are better off telephoning 0844 472 5247 and it will be processed straightaway.

Sue

That calculation is incorrect. Pay £15.40 now and you get a $25 unit of OBC when you get on the ship, not $23, $22.72, $23.17. No currency converter required.

Phil

Phil - I agree - we would receive $25 OBC.

I was trying to express that the cost of $25 OBC is actually lower using this route. Normally I spend $25 whilst sailing and then having it charged to my card in GBP with a worse exchange rate.

While saving $2.18 is not huge in $25 if we run up charges of $1000 this might save me $87.20.

Mark

Phil - I agree - we would receive $25 OBC.

I was trying to express that the cost of $25 OBC is actually lower using this route. Normally I spend $25 whilst sailing and then having it charged to my card in GBP with a worse exchange rate.

While saving $2.18 is not huge in $25 if we run up charges of $1000 this might save me $87.20.

Mark

Definitely worthwhile Mark and the feel good factor of spending at the start and still having a credit balance is worthwhile too!

Phil

Thanks for the tip Helpthejuggler --- I had no idea you could "gift" yourself, or that the rate was so advantageous.

For me it is a no brainer...the pound would have to rise against the dollar by more than 15% in the next nine weeks for me to lose out.

I have just gifted myself 27 units at a cost of £415.80 for which I will receive OBC of $675....an exchange rate of 1.623.

Yesterdays Mastercard rate was 1.515, on which I pay a conversion fee of 2.75%!!!! .....and the pound is falling today!

Any more tips......lol

Thanks for the tip Helpthejuggler --- I had no idea you could "gift" yourself, or that the rate was so advantageous.

For me it is a no brainer...the pound would have to rise against the dollar by more than 15% in the next nine weeks for me to lose out.

I have just gifted myself 27 units at a cost of £415.80 for which I will receive OBC of $675....an exchange rate of 1.623.

Yesterdays Mastercard rate was 1.515, on which I pay a conversion fee of 2.75%!!!! .....and the pound is falling today!

Any more tips......lol

Splendid!!!

The only thing that may change the balance ...last year there was a 10% reduction on drink packages for a short term at the start of the summer.

Mark

Any more tips......lol

2 tips

Use a credit card with the lowest fee or loading, 2.75% sounds beatable.

Then use the same card for your ship account and do not let X do the conversion by ticking the right bix in the xpress pass

Hi Helpthejuggler, how are you we were on Eclipse together two years ago.

I have done the same for an upcoming cruise, as the credit is classed as a gift the amount does not show up on the Celebrity invoice unlike prepaid gratuities or drinks package, Celebrity just send an email not specifying the amount of money spent on the "gift credit" perhaps a copy of the credit card statement showing the amount sent to Celebrity might be useful to take onboard in case of head office error. The last time I bought this credit the room steward bought me a gift certificate to sign and the credit showed up on my on board account within a couple of days of boarding. You are correct in remarking that for UK cruisers this is a very good deal as the exchange rate is unbeatable.

I gifted myself OBC on my Caribbean cruise in march. It was much better value and it felt like we had free $! The cabin steward brought me a slip to sign on the second day and it went straight into our account. I took a copy of the print screen of purchase with me and I also had an email within a couple of hours of the original gift order I think. I'd definitely do this again for OBC :)

Hi Helpthejuggler, how are you we were on Eclipse together two years ago.

I have done the same for an upcoming cruise, as the credit is classed as a gift the amount does not show up on the Celebrity invoice unlike prepaid gratuities or drinks package, Celebrity just send an email not specifying the amount of money spent on the "gift credit" perhaps a copy of the credit card statement showing the amount sent to Celebrity might be useful to take onboard in case of head office error. The last time I bought this credit the room steward bought me a gift certificate to sign and the credit showed up on my on board account within a couple of days of boarding. You are correct in remarking that for UK cruisers this is a very good deal as the exchange rate is unbeatable.

Hi nooooosey has it really been only 2 years. Hope you have squashed lots of fun into the last 2 years. I think it makes good sense to me.

Maybe we will see you on a roll call another time

I was aware of the possibility of a discount on the drinks packages but have ruled out buying one of those.

As mentioned, the OBC is now paid for in pounds....no need to think about which credit card I should use to settle my onboard account...unless of course I exceed the amount of credit that I decide to buy....:)

Thanks again

Archived