The Big Tippers Club??

freddie

...Maybe the crew would think that those who would rather pay into a "crew welfare fund" considering that the name suggests that this is somehow charity rather than a reward for hard work are tacky? The idea of a "crew gratuity" is much better as it implies that those behind the scenes should be rewarded as well.

Here's the thing about the crew "welfare" fund (not named by the passengers, I assure you.) The money that goes there benefits all of the crew, not just the few that you interact with--all the people who made your meals and prepared your plates, or did your laundry, or set the tables in the dining room. These are people never receive tips from pax, or rarely so.

These funds are used, I believe, to host parties for the staff, but also to provide emergency funds for those crew members who have to leave suddenly--the cruise line is not running a charity, so family emergencies can incur a huge expense for a crew member.

I was talking about some people who always feel entitled to special treatment wherever they are - and I think we have all met them. It's about their attitude to life and others around them that makes me avoid them.

I was simply trying to assure mariners that these type of people are not common on Oceania and most travelers are congenial ...

Oh yes, we've all met them, and they are thankfully very few. Although in my limited experience, on Regent, they do tend to be the high-roller types, in big cabins. That's just anecdotal, I know.

Is it the case that there is *no* crew welfare fund on the Oceania ships?

While I cannot answer your question, I can tell you that there are several "pools" into which you can contribute.

At the conclusion of our cruise on Oceania (I am one who thinks tipping early is indeed similar to a bribe and I have never done it), after we tipped extra to our own butler and housekeeping staff (cash to both), we had a significant amount of OBC that we had not used during our cruise.

I wanted the remainder of our OBC to go to the group who had served us personally and asked the Front Desk if that was possible. Specifically, I asked to leave the money to be divided among all the butlers, as we got to know each of them. (We got to know four of them, and if there are more on the R-ships, I am wrong in saying that we met all of them.) Therefore, I directed that our remaining OBC go into the Butler's Pool and got a receipt from Oceania for the "additional butler pool gratuities".

Has anyone donated to any "pools" or to a general crew fund on Oceania? (We were told at the front desk that there was no "crew fund", just pools to include certain segments of the crew.) Our own butler seemed skeptical that the butlers would see any of the "butler pool" money, and I would really like to know if the money goes where it is supposed to go.

Some things have been mentioned in this thread & got me to thinking

I might be wrong

but I would think the wage scale for different jobs on the ship where the crew do not get a share of the gratuities might be a bit higher than the base salary of wait staff or other that get a share of the tip pool

I wonder if those people that want to spread their wealth do the same in a restaurant...do you tip the chef, do you tip the linen company for cleaning the table cloths, the cleaners that mop the floors

They all contribute behind the scenes to make your dining an enjoyable experience :rolleyes:

I would like to see the gratuities just added to the cruise fare & if you want to donate more have a box near reception where you can do so

On our river cruise last year gratuities were included ...last day they had a box near the pursers desk where you were free to add any extra cash you wanted to the crew pool

Would solve a lot of the debate on whether to tip extra or not ..

In some parts of the world the tipping culture is way out of hand

JMO

Lyn

Some things have been mentioned in this thread & got me to thinking

I might be wrong

but I would think the wage scale for different jobs on the ship where the crew do not get a share of the gratuities might be a bit higher than the base salary of wait staff or other that get a share of the tip pool

I wonder if those people that want to spread their wealth do the same in a restaurant...do you tip the chef, do you tip the linen company for cleaning the table cloths, the cleaners that mop the floors

They all contribute behind the scenes to make your dining an enjoyable experience :rolleyes:

Other than technical jobs, the mechanics and deck-swabbers, the officers and office workers, the entertainment staff, and the senior hotel staff, I would have expected that *all* would share in the tip pool. Including dishwashers, cooks, prep staff, sous chefs, waiters, bartenders, stewards. Am I wrong?

I would have expected that *all* would share in the tip pool. Including dishwashers, cooks, prep staff, sous chefs, waiters, bartenders, stewards. Am I wrong?

I think you may be

;)

I am told the servers in the Terrace behind the counter do not get a share of the pool

I have no 1st hand knowledge of this

I think you may be

;)

I am told the servers in the Terrace behind the counter do not get a share of the pool

I have no 1st hand knowledge of this

Do Room Service staff share in the gratuity? Do most people tip them when they carry in breakfast?

Do Room Service staff share in the gratuity? Do most people tip them when they carry in breakfast?

I'm venturing off into unknown territory by responding, but I'll relate what I've heard. I've been told that room service staff are off-duty waiters and servers who are volunteering for the extra service. In that sense, they do share in the standard gratuity, but only for their standard duties, not for the room service efforts. I'm told they volunteer for the extra duty in order to make a little extra money from the room service tips.

I don't use room service often, but based on the above, I always tip something, usually a couple of Dollars or Euros. However, If I have a butler I do not tip each time he (or she) brings room service, as that is part of their duties for which they are already receiving a sizeable gratuity.

Other than technical jobs, the mechanics and deck-swabbers, the officers and office workers, the entertainment staff, and the senior hotel staff, I would have expected that *all* would share in the tip pool. Including dishwashers, cooks, prep staff, sous chefs, waiters, bartenders, stewards. Am I wrong?

I was curious so I did a search ...look for "cruise lines jobs"

They have some interesting information on the site

Lyn

We have only had room service twice & it was delivered by wait staff from the other restaurants ..one lady worked in Red Ginger & the other young man was from the GDR

I did tip them a few $

I have always found the service excellent on Oceania and never had a complaint. We marvel at the hardworking individuals who provide service to make our holiday a flawless delight and the long. long hours they work. We never had a butler and other than to notify our steward that the shower was slow draining we never requested any services.

We tip our housekeeping stewards on the last day of the cruise by putting cash in an envelope with a thank you note. I do believe any extra tip is welcomed but not expected.

We always praise good service in the mid and end cruise comment cards.

In our 6 cruises we have only come across one surly maitre'd and anyone can have a bad day.

As Lyn has commented, anyone who makes my bed, cleans my bathroom, puts chocolate on my down turned bed at night and remains friendly and personable is my type of guy/gal.

It is totally up to you to tip additional or not.

Oceania has done a lot of work deciding how much each person should pay daily as a surcharge to pay some of the crew, in fact I believe it is part of there contract. They have also used 18% as the amount added to drink prices to pay the servicers. Why not just leave it at that unless someone goes above and beyond? I do not feel cleaning my room or serving my dinner is in that cat.

Why not just leave it at that unless someone goes above and beyond? I do not feel cleaning my room or serving my dinner is in that cat.

I agree

If you want to tip someone above the recommend rate go ahead

Why worry about who is in the pool or not

If you appreciated their service that is all that matters

Much ado about nothing :rolleyes:

The ground rules are that some tip extra, some don't. Some tip a lot extra, some tip a little. We are on the little side, especially compared to a post I read a few weeks ago by someone who laid out what and when he tips. (It may be in this thread, not sure)I think he tips more than we pay for our entire cruise!

We would never reduce the gratuities that are added to our account. If we weren't happy, we wouldn't tip extra, but I would never have the nerve to walk up to reception and remove or reduce them.

So just do what you feel comfortable with. There is no right or wrong, as has been stated previously.

Mo

Bear in mind that once you get your "bill" for gratuities, if you feel you weren't served well ... you have every right to reduce the amount without embarrassment.

Many people find this to be difficult but we have done it! (Well, DH has done it!)

Repeating: there are NO rules!

Mura

Bear in mind that once you get your "bill" for gratuities, if you feel you weren't served well ... you have every right to reduce the amount without embarrassment.

Many people find this to be difficult but we have done it! (Well, DH has done it!)

Mura

We're speaking to an International audience these days, so you must try to be more inclusive, Mura.

There are many who will read your Post (Australians come to mind) who don't have the option of reducing the auto-tip.

Because I'm an Oceania newbie and I want to know what the ground rules are so that I can do the right thing.

There are no ground rules

Just leave the auto tip in place & tip extra if you want

Stop worrying what other people tip or do not tip

If you have a problem with service or anything address it while you are on the ship with the GM or the Concierge will pass the complaint on to who they need to go to

Do not wait until you get home to complain or post on the forum (well i guess if you post here FDR will fix the problem)

Usually the staff onboard will fix the problem

JMO

Lyn

Mura

That has not happened to me on Oceania. Not saying u havent experienced it but I have not and included more$$. Rules or no rules:eek:

We're speaking to an International audience these days, so you must try to be more inclusive, Mura.

There are many who will read your Post (Australians come to mind) who don't have the option of reducing the auto-tip.

Very true, Jim. I apologize.

OTOH, while I was aware that Aussies (and other nationalities) don't have benefits that we in North America do, I wasn't aware that they don't have the option to deny the pre-set gratuities.

Back when we started sailing with Renaissance and then Oceania, there were few non-North Americans. So it's easy to forget ... On our upcoming TA in November (BCN-Rio) I think we have more Aussies on the tours I've set up than North Americans. If they aren't more than "us", there are equal numbers.

So I will try to remember that they don't have the option of changing the gratuity amounts. And I will continue to complain on their behalf that they should be able to do so.

Mura

Mura

The "automatic gratuity" (or hotel charge or service fee or whatever you want to call it) is not really a gratuity which, by definition, you should personally give to the server(s) from whom you have received whatever you define as a qualifying level of service.

It's more accurately a "semi-voluntary" surcharge which allows the line to have you pay (and feel good about paying) a higher percent of the staff's salary than is included in the fare they originally quoted/charged.

What's surprising is not the Aussies' inability to reduce the charge but rather that we still have the option.

I wonder if this "rule" for Australians was introduced as they may be inclined to remove/reduce auto-tips since tipping is not part of their culture?

By contrast North Americans are quite accostumed to tipping.

I wonder if this "rule" for Australians was introduced as they may be inclined to remove/reduce auto-tips since tipping is not part of their culture?

By contrast North Americans are quite accostumed to tipping.

Apple spelling strikes again - that is supposed to be accustomed :)

If Aussies are denied the right to remove the gratuities from their account they are no longer gratuities but an enforced higher fare. I wonder if this is restricted to Aussies (and perhaps Japanese) because their cultures, unlike ours, do now allow for tipping.

Archived