So much for being a VIFP!!!!

juanotero79

I called two days ago to Carnival because I have two reservations for June 30, 2013 on the Carnival Breeze and for July 6, 2013 on the Carnival Liberty . Almost a back to back!!!

I paid $1957.00 for a balcony stateroom on the Carnival Breeze and now the price of the same category of room is $1827.00 so we paid $130 more than what new people are paying for the same room. I asked to see if we could do an upgrade to a Spa Room (at the moment, less than 50 days from the cruise, there are more than 15 of those rooms available!!!) The prices in the Spa rooms is only $70.00 more than what I paid for a regular balcony and the customer service lady told me I can't upgrade to a Spa Room. She said I can only upgrade if I pay $150.00 which I found ridiculous if the price right now is only $70.00 more. I offered to pay the $70.00 difference, yet she did not allow it.

Also the rooms in the Carnival Liberty in the same balcony category we have are $2317 and we paid $2597.00 a difference of $280.00. So I also called and asked for an upgrade from a balcony (Cat 8D) to an aft extended balcony that is now $100.00 less than what I paid for mine and they did not want to do the upgrade.

So much for appreciating a past guest. This will be my tenth cruise and my first Platinum cruise!!!!!!!! What a way to feel appreciated!!!!!!

In total, we I paid $410.00 more than if I would have done the two reservations today!!! :mad:

I have been a loyal customer for Carnival since 1997! These two cruises will be my 9th and 10th cruises with CCL. I also have been buying future cruise vouchers for more than three years now! Last year I purchased two that I used for my reservations this year!!!

I think with all of the money extra I paid in both cruises compared to Carnival's current prices, a $70.00 upgrade in the Breeze should not even be charged!!

I understand that the two cruises are separate, but it is still a Carnival Cruises back to back!

If this is not something that can be done I rather go with a different cruise line the next time I cruise since there is any loyalty appreciation in this company at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Oh geez.... you should of booked earlier saver if not you cant Complain about prices today.. earlier saver is the only way you can keep lowering your cruise fare...

Just one question.. If the cruise fare was higher........ Would you let carnival charge you more?

Im not understanding. A B2B gets no special discounts, even if you were on one. I have twice as many cruises on Carnival as you and Ive only been loyal since the end of 2006, i.e. Im cruising a heck of a lot more than you.

VIPF is a meaningless term.. even a brand new cruiser is VIPF.

I dont understand why they would ask you to pay $150 more if the price difference was only $70 .. something sounds wrong here, maybe some kind of misunderstanding since you cant say why they wanted extra money (I sure would have asked until I understood what the $80 extra was for, so this does not exactly make sense).

Buying FCCs is a pleasure.. not investing extra money. You pay $100 and get the $100 applied to these cruises plus free OBC. How is that investing extra money.

While I feel your frustration, I think there are many things perhaps need to be explained better.

We all think Carnival does not care about the loyal cruisers.. so that isnt a surprise. They dont do extra things like upgrades if you did not book early saver just because you have been on 8 Carnival cruises and have 9 and 10 booked.

I would call back and talk to someone else and get my questions answered, and ask again to upgrade. Often the answer to this changes if you know your facts a little better.

I dont understand why they would ask you to pay $150 more if the price difference was only $70 .. something sounds wrong here, maybe some kind of misunderstanding since you cant say why they wanted extra money (I sure would have asked until I understood what the $80 extra was for, so this does not exactly make sense).

Probably that the $70 price difference is for a pack and go rate or something, since the cruise is so close. Those aren't eligible for price matching usually.

I'm surprised the OP is complaining about this. They are apparently a Platinum cruiser- why is this policy surprising? After final payment, your price is set unless you booked early saver.

Probably that the $70 price difference is for a pack and go rate or something, since the cruise is so close. Those aren't eligible for price matching usually.

I'm surprised the OP is complaining about this. They are apparently a Platinum cruiser- why is this policy surprising? After final payment, your price is set unless you booked early saver.

Not platinum, only 8 cruises. She also thinks she paid extra because of buying FCCs, so the upgrade should be free. Wait until she finds out they dont even sell FCCs any more.

I have been a loyal customer for Carnival since 1997! These two cruises will be my 9th and 10th cruises with CCL. I also have been buying future cruise vouchers for more than three years now! Last year I purchased two that I used for my reservations this year!!!

I think with all of the money extra I paid in both cruises compared to Carnival's current prices, a $70.00 upgrade in the Breeze should not even be charged!!

I would find out why the upgrade costs $150. you may be right that its for a gty. OP doesnt seem to know and has a attitude she should get the upgrade for free.

If she got her facts so she understood them better and said, ok I see its this much (and was correct) and made it easy for the rep, I know my PVP would do it in a flash. Most reps I talked to do it too, but I call up with ok, I want this cabin, its $$$ more, here is my credit card number, make it easy for the rep. I dont call up complaining and saying I should get what I think is a $70 upgrade for free because I bought FCCs. Keep it simple. Just call up about the upgrade and be willing to pay the difference, and know your facts.

Sorry, if they upgraded you then they'd have to first start upgrading the people who are way ahead of you first like Fire Fly and Sarge. One thing I learned is to be happy with my cabin and price I paid the day I book a cruise. If I don't book early saver, I don't expect any price drops or any upgrades. If I do book early saver, I am happy with my original price and THRILLED if it drops. I don't expect something just because I'm a past guest as many of your fellow cruisers will have more seniority than you. I hope you get the answer you are looking for but if not, hopefully you will have a great cruise anyway!

sorry, if they upgraded you then they'd have to first start upgrading the people who are way ahead of you first like fire fly and sarge. One thing i learned is to be happy with my cabin and price i paid the day i book a cruise. If i don't book early saver, i don't expect any price drops or any upgrades. If i do book early saver, i am happy with my original price and thrilled if it drops. I don't expect something just because i'm a past guest as many of your fellow cruisers will have more seniority than you. I hope you get the answer you are looking for but if not, hopefully you will have a great cruise anyway!

like:d

I did not book Earlier Saver, however, I am not asking for a fare reduction, just a comp upgrade. They use to do it before with no issues. I guess they changed their policies!!

Oh geez.... you should of booked earlier saver if not you cant Complain about prices today.. earlier saver is the only way you can keep lowering your cruise fare...

Just one question.. If the cruise fare was higher........ Would you let carnival charge you more?

I did not book Earlier Saver, however, I am not asking for a fare reduction, just a comp upgrade. They use to do it before with no issues. I guess they changed their policies!!

Nothing is this world is free if you want something pay for it just like the rest of the 99%

Hello,

They wanted extra $150.00 to upgrade to a Cloud Spa room on the Breeze. However, the difference from what I paid for my balcony and the price they have now for the Spa Balcony is $70.00 so why would I pay $150.00 for the upgrade when it should only be $70.00.

On the Liberty, I wanted to upgrade to an Aft Balcony. Those are going for $100.00 less than what I paid for my balcony, so they should not even charge since it is a comp upgrade.

I have about 25 cruises with Carnival and never once got comped a upgrade. I have heard of them upgrading people in the past but now they have a upsell dept.

Im still waiting for my first comped upgrade :o

If I were in your shoes, I would feel darn lucky to be getting #10 in this year. Are you aware they changed the loyalty program and if you didnt get in #10 this year you would now have to have 75 days on Carnival to make platinum?

Only group who got anything with the new loyalty were those who got grandfathered into platinum if they got in #10 this year.. the rest of us.. nadda.

I must not come in with enough attitude since I never get comped a free upgrade for demanding it like you apparantly did... and then came here all upset when they said no.

So really the problem is they were TOO generous before and instead of appreciating what was given before, it's now become expected? It reminds me of Christmas bonuses that people started getting upset over how they got smaller or non existant when the economy tanked. It's a perk, not an entitlement.

And seriously why should any one customer be more valuable than another? Do we really need to be *bribed* to be repeat customers? Because I booked Carnival again because I enjoyed the last cruise and wanted to do it again, not because of the free drink at brunch.

~Katy

I shop at lowes alot business and personal ... Last week I bought 15 bags of mulch at 12 bucks per 3 bags ..

This week they are on sale 4 for 10 did I go running in lowes today and demand a refund.. Nope I said we'll dang should of waited a week

Sometime you win sometime you loose

Sorry that you felt as if your "loyalty" to Carnival would be reciprocated. Unfortunately, that is not the case. It may feel as if they may owe you something because you've sailed 8 times on them over the last 16 years, but even those who cruise multiple times in one year will tell you that you shouldn't expect special treatment.

The way that Carnival is handling your reservation is in accordance to their rules, which are applied the same whether its your 1st cruise or your 25th.

Once final payment is done, you lose the ability to do much of anything in terms of upgrades or price drops unless you book early saver. But then even that rate has its limitations. It's the way it goes. I'm sure the rooms you booked will do just fine. You wanted an upgrade. Didn't work out. So that's extra money, regardless of the amount, in your pocket. Don't get hung up on status as a repeat cruiser. Just enjoy your two trips.

And seriously why should any one customer be more valuable than another? Do we really need to be *bribed* to be repeat customers? Because I booked Carnival again because I enjoyed the last cruise and wanted to do it again, not because of the free drink at brunch.

~Katy

Well Said, I never got why cruisers felt so entitled to special treatment just because they are a past guest. I expect NO special discounts at any resorts I go to or airlines or stores. I never told a hotel that I've stayed there 100x and therefore I deserve priority anything or a free upgrade. Just because I fly southwest 10x doesn't make me more important than someone who has only flown 2x. The sense of entitlement......

I shop at lowes alot business and personal ... Last week I bought 15 bags of mulch at 12 bucks per 3 bags ..

This week they are on sale 4 for 10 did I go running in lowes today and demand a refund.. Nope I said we'll dang should of waited a week

Sometime you win sometime you loose

You should have gone back, they would have refunded you and you wouldn't have had to DEMAND anything, just ask nicely.:)

Bill

Well Said, I never got why cruisers felt so entitled to special treatment just because they are a past guest. I expect NO special discounts at any resorts I go to or airlines or stores. I never told a hotel that I've stayed there 100x and therefore I deserve priority anything or a free upgrade. Just because I fly southwest 10x doesn't make me more important than someone who has only flown 2x. The sense of entitlement......

I don't see anything wrong with loyalty being rewarded. Most every place has some type of rewards system for frequenting the business. But the OP shouldn't get hung up on it, because all the booking options have restrictions. I guess he figured they would make it happen since he does have two cruises booked and had similar luck in the past. Perks are nice if you can get 'em. ;)

Hello,

They wanted extra $150.00 to upgrade to a Cloud Spa room on the Breeze. However, the difference from what I paid for my balcony and the price they have now for the Spa Balcony is $70.00 so why would I pay $150.00 for the upgrade when it should only be $70.00.

On the Liberty, I wanted to upgrade to an Aft Balcony. Those are going for $100.00 less than what I paid for my balcony, so they should not even charge since it is a comp upgrade.

Isn't it really the same thing? You're asking that the original fare be reduced by $70 so that it will only be $80 ($70 + $80 = $150) to upgrade.

And what's a Cloud Spa room? Sounds comfy!

I don't see anything wrong with loyalty being rewarded. Most every place has some type of rewards system for frequenting the business. But the OP shouldn't get hung up on it, because all the booking options have restrictions. I guess he figured they would make it happen since he does have two cruises booked and had similar luck in the past. Perks are nice if you can get 'em. ;)

I have read that the top 3 people who booked a ship, with the most cruises on RCL can request a upgrade within the last few weeks. .. not that I will ever be among the top 3 in terms of loyalty on RCL .. maybe on Carnival, but not RCL.

I wouldnt mind if Carnival did something like this. :D

Carnival has a loyalty reward system, the rules are all laid out and documented.

Archived