My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

The balcony is pie shape, has two chairs and is comfortable for both occupants but not much more.

Here is where they are located and you can get a little better idea of their structure.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/LouisCristal019-1.jpg

The season starts just before Christmas. The weather was fine then and not as hot as when we were there in February.

The ship will dock to either side depending on navigation conditions. In Havana the Terminal was on Port side for one arrival and then next, Starboard.

Thank you so much!

Just back today. Mind completely blown. EVERYTHING exceeded expectations. Will write a proper review in a few days but in the meantime a few things I picked up relating to questions here:

Our horse drawn taxi ride was great. Others with us tried to pay with US cash and the driver said no. They are not allowed. So I would not count on US cash. We never used a credit card, did not see it offered. Just took about $1000 Canadian and converted as necessary in Havana and at ports. Canadian cash works for tips too. This amount included 5 days in Havana.

Havana is astonishing. When you arrive at the ship there is a large Square right across the street from the cruise terminal. This is San Francisco Square with a 16th century church. As you have your back to the terminal, go right from the square (1 block IN from the water) this will take you to two beautiful squares. Place Armes (sp) then Cathedral Square (our favorite). If you go left from San Francisco Square and up 2 blocks from the water you will come to Plaza Veila. To walk from Plaza Veila to San Francisco to Place Armes to Cathedral Square might take 30 minutes.

I have a bad knee so I had to stop at MANY outside cafes for Mojitos, etc. It was very rough!:eek:

If you want to go to Parc Central its straight up from the Harbour. Obissmo is a great street to walk up. The roof of the Ambus Mundi Hotel on Obissmo is a great spot for a drink. The HOHO departs from Parc Central.

Happy to answer questions, but the review will have to wait. Definitely doing this again! Cruise itself was lovely after 8? Princess cruises.

Our cruise showed as having about 30 cabins left but sailed at about 600 passengers. I believe that the capacity on the Cuba Cruise site assumes block bookings to travel agents are sold when maybe they are not? Anyway, 600 people is a dream cruise!

Hi all!

Liz54 ~ thanks so much for all that info!:DSo glad you enjoyed Havana & the cruise. Did you take the HOHO bus? Did you go to the Prime Steak House? Did you go to Trinidad?

burm ~ I didn't make it to Town so ordered the book through Air Miles from Indigo. Had to buy another book to get free shipping:o & it says I might not get it until Feb 23!! Sure hope they overestimated the delivery date as usual!

Hope yours comes tomorrow since you paid extra.

I'd like to meet anybody from the threads getting on Feb 16 or 23. We're on from Feb 20 - 26.

Geritol Gypsies ~ the water on board is fine. I usually take an empty plastic bottle from home then fill it from the ice bucket.

~Jo ~:)

Took the HO HO on the first day. Did not get off, just used it for an overview. Then we mostly walked. Did the 4 squares repeatedlt, also The Museum of the Revolution was great. Missed the Art Gallery - closed Monday.

Did not make it to Trinidad, just grabbed a tour at the pier. It was great.

Did not do Prime (Husband is a vegetarian)

Went to the shows every night the music plus acrobats was astonishing every time.

Also, one night there was a Greek Themed deck party at 10.45. DO NOT MISS. This was the best Deck party every. Put Princess to shame.

On the ship tap water is great. But in our very nice hotel in Havana it was NOT drinkable, so I would not drink it anywhere in Cuba.

Drink Mojitos instead. We found that worked!:D

We also have concerns about the ice used in cocktails. I know that aboard ship all is well but ashore we had been sticking to bottle or can drinks. And even though we are currently undergoing Dukoral we will still have some concern.

I've been reading the reviews with astonishment. Does not seem like these people were on the same cruise. Obviously they did not do their research. We had good - not great food - with reasonable choices. My DH is vegetarian and was delighted to see one or two veggie selections at every meal. There IS an omelette station on the pool deck every morning. No sign of any of those perks here this AM:confused:

As for the entertainment. We found it superb. The evening shows were different every night. (How can you say they were the same every night and then admit you went only twice?!) The 2 top acrobats trained at Cirque de Soleil in Montreal and in Barcelona. The Guy is a Montrealer and the girl is from Italy via Montreal.

Sheesh!!:rolleyes:

Thank you for the site. I should have known. WOW, funny how some confuse Crystal Cruises with Louis Cristal. One look at their invoice should have told them...

To tell you the truth, I thought Cruise Critic was more widely read, for every point has been covered well in advance of their bookings. But ending a rather hostile critique with "Would I recommend this cruise? WITHOUT A DOUBT!" says it all.

I understand that internet access on the ship is slow and expensive. Have any of you found free or reasonably priced internet access in any of the ports on this cruise? I only want to check my emails occasionally and send a holiday blog to friends in the UK and USA.

Thanks, Janet

For 4 days on my cruise there was a satellite issue. The last few days it was fine. I paid $4.00 cdn for about 30 minutes of checking. It was not too slow at all. We also paid $4 CUCs at the hotel. I used my ipad there. it was worse than the ship. I used the ship's computers. Did not see internet cafes in many places. I hear there is a decent one near the port in Montego Bay.

I understand that internet access on the ship is slow and expensive. Have any of you found free or reasonably priced internet access in any of the ports on this cruise? I only want to check my emails occasionally and send a holiday blog to friends in the UK and USA. Thanks, Janet

Montego Bay port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45349914&highlight=guards#post45349914

Hi all!

Ron ~ thanks for the invite.:D I'm always surprised too when talking to people on ships that not more know about Cruise Critic. I was so happy when I found out about it & all it offers & only wished I'd found it earlier!

Liz54 ~ thanks for the mention of the Greek themed deck party! We'll have to have a long nap to be able to keep DH up for it.;) I'm surprised at how far down the ratings for the ship have gone, last year after the Cuba cruise & before the Med cruises it was in the high 90's.

SO looking forward to escaping this winter. I only hope all have a good day for the drive to Toronto & are able to fly out as planned!

~ Jo ~ :)

Jo,

Suggest you have tea then nap and skip dinner. It looked like the best meal of the week with Souvlaki and Greek pastry....But sadly we had just come from dinner an hour before. Still the smells added to the atmosphere.

I have been to Deck parties before and always felt they were "forced" but this one was great. Instead of badgering people to dance, the ships entertainers danced and others joined in because it was so fun!

Hi again!

Liz54 ~ that sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion. We like Greek food & always go for souvlaki before going to our airport hotel.

I am sooo looking forward to doing this cruise again. Did they say they'll be doing it again next year? BTW I just printed out your post about the squares in case my book doesn't come in time. I was disappointed to hear the Cathedral wasn't as pictured with the projection like last year but maybe it was a Christmas thing.:confused:

Ciao

~ Jo ~ :)

I don't like reading articles like this only a few days before our flight to Cuba:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/air-canada-flight-returns-cuba-150449823.html

We met a couple at our hotel whose luggage was lost for their 3 days in Havana. Luckily it turned up on Cruise Day!

We "cross packed" on the way home. In that way if one suitcase goes astray each person looses half....

It always amuses me when people lose their luggage and say they have nothing but what they are wearing. What do they put in their carry-ons? Aside from meds and electronics, I make sure I pack all clothes I need to survive on the cruise - a change of slacks, shorts, bathing suit, a few shirts, and a little black dress that would even get me into the MDR on a formal night. Amazing how much you can cram in.

Also, I no longer take a wheeled carry-on, but a soft sided one that I can cram in under the seat. Fortunately (only when it comes to fitting into airplane seats and the back seats of cars) I have short legs. DH has to put his overhead.

I have had them take my wheeled carry on from me, but never a sports type bag.

One of my brothers has the worst luck with luggage. He loses at least one bag a year. He has come to expect it.

...We "cross packed" on the way home. In that way if one suitcase goes astray each person looses half....

What an eye opener. And an excellent idea which we will follow. As to the problem itself, our ticket from Toronto to Havana states:

First bag - Complimentary

Second bag - Complimentary

as does our return.

This is new to us and if everyone now is allowed two bags, little wonder they had to reduce weight in removing and eventually misplacing luggage.

Edited by ONT-CA

What an eye opener. And an excellent idea which we will follow. As to the problem itself, our ticket from Toronto to Havana states:

First bag - Complimentary

Second bag - Complimentary

as does our return.

This is new to us and if everyone now is allowed two bags, little wonder they had to reduce weight in removing and eventually misplacing luggage.

They said they would not charge you for them, they did not say you would get them back. :)

Actually, we were told last year that the first two bags were complimentary, but AC charged us for them at the check-in machine anyway. There were just too many people waiting in line for us to argue.

They said they would not charge you for them, they did not say you would get them back. :)

GOOD ONE

Actually, we were told last year that the first two bags were complimentary, but AC charged us for them at the check-in machine anyway. There were just too many people waiting in line for us to argue.

Even though we only take one bag each, in the event it falls into "too good to be true" we will use this site;

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/checked.html

and print out the details to accompany our boarding passes lest they consider carry-on or a computer as baggage. I can appreciate your position as some things are not worth the hassle in either time or monitory terms.

Note: We were unable to place our emptied bags under the bed so used two hall cupboards, standing the bags upright.