On Grandeur now..

Excellent point re Freeport's ability to repair the ship.

I had read the Facebook post hours ago and it didn't seem like it was such a big event. The photo tells a very different story.

Thank goodness there were no injuries.

While the surface damage appears to be bad, it may not be. Steel has problems above a certain temperature and for a certain time. So it will take some testing to see if the fire damage you see is mostly on the paint, or into the structure.

That goes for the hardware inside the mooring room as well- from what I know (a real Navy or sea person can correct me) outside of the lines that are in there, most of the hardware are steel winches- big ones. The drive could very well be damaged, but the actual large pulleys may not suffer too much.

Certainly, ALL of the lines will be replaced- even if they didn't burn, the heat risk to them would be great enough to not use them.

Above that- what will be interesting is to see how high the heat damage gets, and where it's just smoke. No question, all of the Aft cabins will have to be gone though.

But the extent of the damage *might* be mostly cosmetic. Serious, no doubt, but hopefully mostly cosmetic.

(I post that hearing that everyone is safe- well done to the crew for keeping everyone safe, particularly to the crew that fought the fire! It's a shame that the long mustering was very hard to the passengers, and I hope you are all doing better now. Gotta be SUPER stressful)

It is very interesting to see reports form the cruise lines which always sound like the trouble caused minor problems. Then that picture shows the real damage. :eek:

From what I can see, this ship is not going anywhere soon.

Good thing it is parked in Freeport as they have the facilities to fix it.

Glad nobody got hurt.

I suspect one factor in the decision to sail onto Freeport is because she can be repaired there.

Airfare to return guests home is a sneeze compared to the cost of missing cruise days.

If all was safe to continue, I may have done the same----although I'm sure the decision was made by the grown ups in Miami.

Most important....everyone is safe and even get to play in Freeport if they choose.

In my experience RCI seems to be aggressive in training. I remember every time we stopped on the Explorer they were holding a drill of some sort. Once we heard an announcement following a drill for "all senior officers to report to the bridge".....voice didn't sound happy. Reminded me of the days in school when I had to report to the principal for talking in class.

971191_768668624793_1262991452_n.jpg

THis is extensive damage. not going anywhere soon

this is a better pic from a crew member friend of mine

I am seeing some major damage in that picture. The South Pacific Lounge is in bad shape. There are windows missing. This is worse than I thought, and I am amazed, and relieved no one was hurt!

We are ok. Bad fire on deck 3 and 4. Headed to Freeport. Lifeboats we lowered and opened as we stood at 3 am for over 4 hours at our muster station. Passengers were ill (passing out and vomiting). Not sure if we will continue or what.

Coast guard plane was circling us and Carnival Sensation was called to stand by. We could see it lit up in the distance. This was scary. The crew was serious. Crew was running wigh fire hoses and it took 2 hours to actually put out the fire. I heard it was in deck 3 after mooring room...all those ropes. On a happy note my toilet is flushing even better than before! We update if possible

Very scary indeed.

Glad RCI took everything seriously and you all are safe.

I'm guessing you mean Mickey Arison who is the Chairman of the Board and CEO of CARNIVAL CORPORATION & PLC. He received critical press for attending Miami Heat basketball games while Carnival Triumph was adrift after their fire.

Jerry Cahill who is President and CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines was on point and attended news briefings. He is the equivalent of Adam Goldstein. I believe that Richard D Fain, the Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean LTD. is the equivalent of Arison and will most likely also delegate news briefings to the specific cruise line CEO who is Goldstein.

Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

I am seeing some major damage in that picture. The South Pacific Lounge is in bad shape. There are windows missing. This is worse than I thought, and I am amazed, and relieved no one was hurt!

Exactly. I don't know why Royal Corporate is trying to play this off like a minor fire. They will only look worse when the rest of the news comes out. Sometimes corporate communications people really are idiots. This was obviously not contained to deck 3, so why did Royal lie about that? If they werent sure, why not say we are making an assessment and will let you know??

The people I know are safe but shaken up.

Whether you love RCI or love Carnival or love them both...PR experts all agreed Carnvial did not do a good job during recent events. RCI has picked up the ball and is, thus far, doing a good job.

The press was also brutal on Carnival....if you recall, the lady that 'had to poop in a baggy" was on literally every TV screen across the country..I swear, she ran from TV camera to TV camera and every outlet was willing to give her air time!

RCI has offered folks the option of staying onboard or on shore....Let's give it some time before we pass judgement...

RC can do dry docks of entire ships in 7-10 days, so they should have Grandeur up and running in great condition asap. The important thing is that all crew and passengers are safe.

However those day figures are based on a great deal of prep before the ship arrives. All the items needed for repairs are shipped in already and /or pre made.

Based on that damage............she maybe able to sail...but its going to take time to make her right again.

AKK

Exactly. I don't know why Royal Corporate is trying to play this off like a minor fire. They will only look worse when the rest of the news comes out. Sometimes corporate communications people really are idiots. This was obviously not contained to deck 3, so why did Royal lie about that? If they werent sure, why not say we are making an assessment and will let you know??

The people I know are safe but shaken up.

I'm so glad no one was hurt. Like Paul, I am amazed at the fact, looking at the damage just in that picture. Thanks again for sharing with us. Poor Grandeur :(

Whether you love RCI or love Carnival or love them both...PR experts all agreed Carnvial did not do a good job during recent events. RCI has picked up the ball and is, thus far, doing a good job.

The press was also brutal on Carnival....if you recall, the lady that 'had to poop in a baggy" was on literally every TV screen across the country..I swear, she ran from TV camera to TV camera and every outlet was willing to give her air time!

RCI has offered folks the option of staying onboard or on shore....Let's give it some time before we pass judgement...

All totally correct!

AKK

I wonder if the ship will be fixed up quickly or not. I'm supposed to sail on her on the 14th of June, I'm starting to doubt that she'll be fixed by then. It looks like an extensive fire, but I'm glad that everyone was okay.

This was obviously not contained to deck 3, so why did Royal lie about that? If they werent sure, why not say we are making an assessment and will let you know??

Did RCI actually say that it was limited to deck 3?

On their web site, they say:

On Monday, May 27, at approximately 2:50 a.m. ET, Grandeur of the Seas experienced a fire on the mooring area of deck 3. The fire has since been extinguished.

One could interpret that to mean that the fire started on deck 3 in the mooring area, but it doesn't mention how the fire may have spread after that.

Archived