1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

So that’s my story and the basics about me…now on the FUN!!! THE REVIEW!!! I hope you enjoy. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

Welcome to the Carnival board! Looking forward to the review.

We have arrived. Let's get this party started and time to explore.

My initial thoughts...WOW, simply wow!!! This ship was beautiful. I have never seen so much glitz and glamour. Everything sparkled, had glitter, mirrors or lights. The atrium was to die for. It's just like an atrium is suppose to be. It was stories tall, glass elevators and all of the lights on everything constantly changing colors. I had found paradise. I don't know what the rest of the cruise was going to be like, but so far I'm impressed for sure.

I was off to explore and start my picture journey right away.

P5100028-%282%29-M.jpg

P5100029-%282%29-L.jpg

P5100034-%282%29-L.jpg

P5160009-L.jpg

P5160137-L.jpg

P5100064-L.jpg

Another one looking down into the atrium and the dance floor which my husband and daughter we use later that night.

P5100030-%282%29-L.jpg

I absolutely loved the glass elevators and the fact that they have glass on BOTH sides. So when you are standing in the hall waiting on the elevator, you can see all the way to the other side and even seen the elevators coming up and down.

P5100027-%282%29-L.jpg

P5100026-%282%29-L.jpg

The fact that they had regular elevators on each side in addition to the several glass elevators running made it nice for "people transport". The only thing is, you had to push both buttons and then make a run for it when one opened since there were so many of them and so far apart. These elevators don't give you a whole lot of time to run to them and get in before the doors close.

IMG_0569-L.jpg

P5160010-L.jpg

Up at the top of the atrium it was glass as well. You could see the water slides above it. Kinda neat and gets you pumped for some more excitement.

P5100033-%282%29-L.jpg

Another one looking down into the atrium and the dance floor which my husband and daughter we use later that night.

P5100030-%282%29-L.jpg

I absolutely loved the glass elevators and the fact that they have glass on BOTH sides. So when you are standing in the hall waiting on the elevator, you can see all the way to the other side and even seen the elevators coming up and down.

P5100027-%282%29-L.jpg

P5100026-%282%29-L.jpg

The fact that they had regular elevators on each side in addition to the several glass elevators running made it nice for "people transport". The only thing is, you had to push both buttons and then make a run for it when one opened since there were so many of them and so far apart. These elevators don't give you a whole lot of time to run to them and get in before the doors close.

IMG_0569-L.jpg

P5160010-L.jpg

Up at the top of the atrium it was glass as well. You could see the water slides above it. Kinda neat and gets you pumped for some more excitement.

P5100033-%282%29-L.jpg

LOL @ pushing all the buttons and running for the elevators

Great review

Did I mention all the glitter? Yes tons of glitter too...glitter swirly balls everywhere you looked.

IMG_0572-L.jpg

IMG_0571-L.jpg

We headed up to the pool deck to check it out but I was sure to stay away from the water park/slides area because I knew that my little one would immediately want to go in. She is drawn to water everywhere we go. I didn't need a melt down this early in the cruise.

The following pictures are from various days throughout the cruise, in no particular order. I take thousands of pictures while on vacation and it's hard to determine at what time they were taken (without looking at all the dates which would take too long). I use 3 cameras...all point and shoot water cameras that I'm very happy with so I no longer bring my DSLR with me on cruises. It's just too much to carry with all of the lens and equipment and I don't want to risk anything happening to it. I needed an all around good, small, waterproof camera that I could take with me everywhere, easily fit in to a small purse I carry around and could go on the islands and ports of call. I shoot with a Canon D10 (I have 2 of them) and an Olympus Tough. I'm real happy with the results from both so far and content with leaving the DSLR at home. So I have the 3 cameras, about 10 various SD cards, a memory stick and a small 10" computer that I take to download copies every day on to. I put them in folders pertaining to what they are of, various ports, where we were at, and sometimes the days.

With that all being said...here are some pictures from around the ship in no particular order.

You will find "Fun Hubs" all over the ship. I have to say I have never used their internet but I do know that I have read multiple post about just how slow the internet is and that it's worse than having dial-up. So, I prefer to "check-in" when we are in port if there's wifi. I can say that as many times as we passed one of these Fun Hubs, I only found 1 couple on them during the cruise.

P5160142-L.jpg

Another Fun Hub that didn't seem to be too "fun"

P5100043-L.jpg

This is "Sams" Club...my husband is Sam hehe It was very RED, especially at night.

P5100069-L.jpg

P5100037-%282%29-L.jpg

This is the main pool deck. I loved the way it looked and especially loved the big screen t.v. I remember being on the NCL Star 5 months ago and watching the Carnival ship pull out before us in NOLA and they had the big screen t.v. going and I thought, man that would be neat. The only ship that I have ever been on with a big screen like that was the Epic.

P5100059-L.jpg

P5120013-L.jpg

They always seem to have something playing on the big screen. It was pretty popular at night. I loved the way they had movies playing every night and making full use of the area. During the day they would usually have either a sports channel on (x-games or golfing) or some news and if that wasn't on then they would have some type of water scenery playing...like a waterfall or creek or something. During the entire cruise, they had someone going around taking video footage (that they would try to sell you during your cruise) and then they would have that playing on the big screen as well on your tv's in the room. YES, I was in that video footage and was forced to watch myself dancing during the sailaway party over and over and over. YIKES! LOL Then later at one of the "RED" parties they got my husband and daughter dancing as well.

Now I had heard people talking about the Red Frog Bar, but I don't remember anyone mentioning the Blue Iguana, which is basically the same thing, just different drinks? Either way, it is not at all what I expected. They are on opposite sides of each other on the pool deck and they were extremely small areas. People would crowd there to get a drink and it was next to impossible to get a soda with ease most of the time. Everyone hung out here and there is NOT much room at all. There was a few times when I was standing in this extremely long line not moving that one of the servers ask me what I needed and when I flashed him my "soda" sticker, he went back and got me one real quick. Kudos to that server several times.

P5110013-L.jpg

As you can see, not much room there. There's a bar and 2 long tables. Everyone felt compelled to stand in there however. I'm not sure why?

P5180074-M.jpg

P5100035-%282%29-M.jpg

P5180075-M.jpg

. Now I have to say, this shower would BEAT you to death. It was the most uncomfortable shower I have ever been in. I tried turning it to different settings and there was just no adjustment that would stop it pounding on you.

My dorm shower was like that in college. It was literally painful to shower, and you had to hold your hand over 'sensitive parts'. I'm convinced it was a water saving effort, because you just couldn't stay in there for a nice long shower.

That is an amazing resort! Almost entices you to do a land vacation instead of a cruise...

Um, we can't all be in the picture together? Gasp. I want family pictures of us all together. Rip offs trying to get more money out of us by making us have to buy 3 pictures of us for our cruise memories.

OMG! This is hysterical! They must have been so confused by the request.

Our last cruise our group separated into 2 lines, 3 of us in 1, and 1 in another. The three of us breezed through in seconds, the one in the other line got behind a little girl who would NOT let them take her picture- screaming and twisting herself in all kinds of positions, until finally her Mom held her, while her Dad pinned her face flat. I felt so bad for her, as clearly something about the process was setting her off- but it was hysterical watching our friend who was right behind them in line, because she had to wait for like 5 minutes for this little girl's picture to be sorted out.

Edited by skittl1321

More pool pictures

P5170014-L.jpg

As always, even at night, there's glitz and glamor with tons of lights everywhere. It always set the "mood" and made you feel relaxed.

P5160007-L.jpg

P5100033-L.jpg

Ok enough of the pool pictures. Now for a little discussion about the pool. To me, it is the same as any other cruise ship I have been on. It's way too little for the amount of cruisers on the ship. It seem to always be crowded during the days with standing room only. We did manage to find a day that it wasn't as bad (the last full day at sea...which surprised me). But when you're on a pool with not just 1 pool but 2...yes, there's another one on the back of the ship (even smaller than this one) and then there's the waterpark and slides, I found it not to be bothersome to me that's for sure. We made full use of all of them. No problems or complaints here.

Now I do remember when I decided to sail with Carnival and everyone was telling me not to do it and they complained about all of the "cut backs" that have been happening over the years. Well, since I had never been on Carnival, I have nothing to compare it to as far as cut backs, but I thought someone said that one of the cutbacks was the fact that there was no music on the deck. I was picturing this silence at sail away (or the sounds of the screaming munchkins on board and the obnoxious drunks falling all over the place causing a disturbance) throughout the cruise instead of the "missing music". Well I was real happy to see that they did indeed have a sail away party and man was it fun. We did all of the line dances and yes I was "caught on video" doing the funky chicken. (Just kidding, I wasn't doing the funky chicken). So, I guess I'm a little confused about the "no music" that I was told. As a matter of fact, they had a party out on the deck almost every night and it was a lot of fun.

The cruise director is Julie and she was in on everything and so much fun. She lead the dancing, she showed us new moves and she was always the light of the party. She wasn't annoying like you hear some cruise directors announcing over and over to go here and buy this or that and it's non-stop. You could tell she loved her job and she was at every nightly event and show as well. We caught her during one of the nights we watched the dancers and she was back stage, but at the angle we were that night we could see her, and she was dancing along with the dancers and trying to do their routine. She was so full of life and so much energy! WOW! I wish every cruise director was like her.

Now back to the pool deck. Yes, they did do quirky pool games like the hairy man contest, but I have to say, it's nothing different than on an NCL ship I've been on. They have done those before too. They can be pretty funny. They played games with diving for spoons, a scavenger hunt (which was hilarious) and other games. I finally found out what the "Ship on a Stick" was all about. LOL Yea, some may find the games dumb, but when we were up on deck hanging out, it was just something to watch and get a few laughs out of. I didn't mind it at all. It's not something that you would see listed in the Fun Times and say "Hey, I think I'll go to that because it's a do-not-miss show". It's just fun and entertainment. People like to have fun and it's the FUN ship remember?

Ok, so I guess enough about the pool deck.

If you didn't want to be around the games, you could head to the back pool. It was always quiet and just swimming. We only hung out here when we would go to the deli to eat or here and there a few nights when eating outside and then the last sea day we swam here for awhile.

P5100036-%282%29-M.jpg

P5100055-M.jpg

P5170021-M.jpg

They had 2 hot tubs located back there and we made use of one of them. It was nice on our sore muscles after a week of extensive port calls.

Very excited to read your full review! I've loved the other ones!

Thanks. I'm on very limited time this time around with school and work back in full swing (this is an accelerated course for the summer with a lot of stuff to learn in very little time). So, this report might not be as extensive as the last and might not be as funny and humiliating for me this time around. I'm trying to rush to get as much done as I possibly can.

WOOT! WOOT! I have been looking forward to your review!! :D

Thanks, I hope I don't disappoint. :)

My dorm shower was like that in college. It was literally painful to shower, and you had to hold your hand over 'sensitive parts'. I'm convinced it was a water saving effort, because you just couldn't stay in there for a nice long shower.

That is an amazing resort! Almost entices you to do a land vacation instead of a cruise...

OMG! This is hysterical! They must have been so confused by the request.

Our last cruise our group separated into 2 lines, 3 of us in 1, and 1 in another. The three of us breezed through in seconds, the one in the other line got behind a little girl who would NOT let them take her picture- screaming and twisting herself in all kinds of positions, until finally her Mom held her, while her Dad pinned her face flat. I felt so bad for her, as clearly something about the process was setting her off- but it was hysterical watching our friend who was right behind them in line, because she had to wait for like 5 minutes for this little girl's picture to be sorted out.

Yes, it was painful and I actually had to splash my face to rinse it off otherwise I would have probably come out with no eyelashes and that wouldn't have looked to great for cruise pictures. :D

Amazing resort...but no, I'll stick to my cruises. :p

Yea they were probably aggrevated with my "picture request" and come to think of it, they never did give me an answer as to why I couldn't have my family in it with me. LOL Of course now I know but back then I didn't and boy was I confused. But hey, I knew I'd just show them what a mistake they were making because I just wouldn't purchase all 3 of those pictures. They wasn't going to make any money off of me by forcing us to take the pictures alone. That'll teach 'em! :o

Wait! Come back!! Loving your review so far!!

I haven't went anywhere my Epic friend. You have to give me time to type and add pictures. Profection doesn't come easy ya know. :D You may be in need of another cruise real soon for your sudden instant outburst of spasm on my thread thinking I have gone away. :D :p

I'll have you know that my nails have grown so long during and since my cruise that I actually sat down and cut them all off just so that I could type my review faster right before I started this. True story. :eek: I'm going as fast as I can. <3

Great review! Looking forward to the rest. I've found your prior reviews so helpful with all the great pics you include. Thanks:)

Thank you so much. I hope this one is helpful as well. :)

Like you, Epic was my favorite ship (and still is, if I do Getaway will see if that changes). I mostly do NCL and Carnival, I would say if you liked the Dream you will love the Breeze.

I'm sure the Breakaway or Getaway will be pretty high up there. I'll have to prove that to myself some day.

Oh I know I would love the Breeze or the Miracle. They both seem to be like the Dream but have even more on there to do. They are on my bucket list trust me. :D

Now I had heard people talking about the Red Frog Bar, but I don't remember anyone mentioning the Blue Iguana, which is basically the same thing, just different drinks? Either way, it is not at all what I expected.

You're probably thinking of the Red Frog Pub which is not the same thing as the Red Frog Rum Bar. The pub is an actual pub with drinks and food on the promenade deck (I believe) and is only found on the Breeze, Magic and Sunshine. The Rum Bar is just a bar.

Great review so far, I'm looking forward to reading more! We were on the Dream in November and loved it!

Edited by MissKIA

great review, looking forward to the rest..great pictures...I love reviews with lots of pictures..I try to put myself there when looking at them

Thank you. I try to put myself there too...literally. :D

I love reading reviews that are very detailed and have tons of pictures. It really helps with my decisions on ships to book and where to go in ports. Therefore, I try to take everything in to consideration when I'm taking pictures as well...just in case someone was to ask about something, hopefully I have a picture of it to show them. (Yes, I have taken pictures of the weird things too like outlets and such). :p

You're probably thinking of the Red Frog Pub which is not the same thing as the Red Frog Rum Bar. The pub is an actual pub with drinks and food on the promenade deck (I believe) and is only found on the Breeze, Magic and Sunshine. The Rum Bar is just a bar.

Great review so far, I'm looking forward to reading more! We were on the Dream in November and loved it!

Ohhhh, that explains it. I swear I thought it was a bar and a lot bigger and it was just a shock to see what it really was (or what I thought it was). I must have seen it on the Breeze or Magic because those 2 ships are also ships that I was considering when I booked the Dream. Glad you let me know and set me straight. That explains my confusion. hehe

I remember you worrying (maybe just a little) about your decision to cruise with Carnival. Like you, I'm trying something new next year (the Star) and a really looking forward to the change to NCL.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise and am so happy you took the plunge over to the dark side. :D I look forward to the rest of your review!

Yea I was a little worried, but of course not enough to keep me from trying it out. It was just that little extra push that I needed to get me to go (Thanks NCL for giving me that push to try another line by pulling out of the Caribbean during the months I can cruise :rolleyes:). I'm really glad I did it! But then again I think I have a little "dark" side in me anyhow...I do work with dead people ya know and I get a thrill every time I hear a trauma alert called at work...you'll find me running. :D Yea, I'm a little morbid but that's ok with me. :p

Oh I know I would love the Breeze or the Miracle. They both seem to be like the Dream but have even more on there to do. They are on my bucket list trust me. :D

Could you mean the Magic? Its the other dream class .... though the spirit class has a lot of fans, which the Miracle is (and I have booked this year to alaska and Hawaii).

I have my first NCL cruise booked next year.. enjoying your review.