Silver Wind or Silver Cloud

cruising_cattlemen

In April 2015, an Australian tour company will be chartering both the Silver Wind and the Silver Cloud to take groups to the 100th Anniversary of the Gallipoli landings. We are booked on the Wind; but are wondering if there are any significant differences between it and the Cloud that would favour one or the other. Any advice/observations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

We have sailed on the Wind and the Cloud. There is really very little difference. We had a medallion suite on the Wind and we enjoyed that - it has a larger veranda and as the weather was warm we would have breakfast out there most mornings. My husband is a keep photographer and he was always popping out to take some photos. In the bathroom there is bath with shower. On the Cloud we had a silver suite, this was just after a major refurb of the ship and it looked fantastic. The only problem for me is in that refurb they took out most of the baths ! and I like a bath, so our silver suite only had a shower.

There is the different placement of the spa and fitness centre and the Wind has medallion suites and the Cloud doesnt, but that is about it. The staff on both ships are wonderful.

Ann

I saw this cruise advertised on the Captains Choice website. It can only be booked via Captains Choice. I had our TA get some details - a vista suite on either ship starts at $AUD15,000. Looks like people already are making big profits for the centenary of Anzac Day even though it's not until 2015. Have no details of prices of suites above Vista.

According to the mailout I got today, the Silver Wind is booked out. The Cloud has " an identical itinerary and departure date" to the Wind. ( 18th April 2015 ) 17 day cruise.

Base cost $ A 15,300 pp for a vista suite, add $ A 2,900pp for midship veranda suite, $ A 10,200pp for a Silver suite. You can add on any number of pre and post cruise land options ranging in price from $A 2,000 pp to $ A 20,000pp !!!

It is not my choice.

I saw this cruise advertised on the Captains Choice website. It can only be booked via Captains Choice. I had our TA get some details - a vista suite on either ship starts at $AUD15,000. Looks like people already are making big profits for the centenary of Anzac Day even though it's not until 2015. Have no details of prices of suites above Vista.
You can download the brochure on the website that has all of the additional pricing including single supplements. Looks to include all land activities in the price, but not air at this time.

Have sailed on the Wind, will be sailing next month on the Cloud.

I can tell you right now, I prefer the Wind. I spend a lot of time in the Observation lounge (it is part of my daily routine to sit up there and do my devotions since we are in a Vista cabin) and there isn't one on the Cloud. As well, you must walk outside to get to the fitness centre which means I'm less likely to go to it in bad weather (except this trip, due to recovery from illness, not going isn't an option and due to itinerary, using the pool for physio will not be an option.)

Actually, I'm not totally looking forward to this cruise since I know my physical limitations are going to severely curtail my usual cruise routine both on and off ship. The fact that if I have to 'settle' for sitting and looking out at a port rather than exploring the port is tough enough without having one less public space to sit in and look out.

Given the choice, these two differences are deal breakers for me. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the difference. I assumed the two ships were like the Whisper/Shadow, virtually identical since posts like Rojaan's don't talk about the major difference in public areas. Given my illness, we missed our planned cruise for 2013 and this is the 'consolation cruise' for my dh. I had to book something and this crossed off bucket list destinations. But, in future, if two itineraries are the same, I'd automatically pick the Wind over the Cloud.

Interesting, I prefer the Cloud. Due to my limitations, I cannot do steps very well and the 9th deck on the Wind does not have elevator access. Different strokes! Enjoy your cruise anyway. You will love the crew.

Have sailed on the Wind, will be sailing next month on the Cloud.

I can tell you right now, I prefer the Wind. I spend a lot of time in the Observation lounge (it is part of my daily routine to sit up there and do my devotions since we are in a Vista cabin) and there isn't one on the Cloud. As well, you must walk outside to get to the fitness centre which means I'm less likely to go to it in bad weather (except this trip, due to recovery from illness, not going isn't an option and due to itinerary, using the pool for physio will not be an option.)

Actually, I'm not totally looking forward to this cruise since I know my physical limitations are going to severely curtail my usual cruise routine both on and off ship. The fact that if I have to 'settle' for sitting and looking out at a port rather than exploring the port is tough enough without having one less public space to sit in and look out.

Given the choice, these two differences are deal breakers for me. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the difference. I assumed the two ships were like the Whisper/Shadow, virtually identical since posts like Rojaan's don't talk about the major difference in public areas. Given my illness, we missed our planned cruise for 2013 and this is the 'consolation cruise' for my dh. I had to book something and this crossed off bucket list destinations. But, in future, if two itineraries are the same, I'd automatically pick the Wind over the Cloud.

Although we do love the Observation Bar on many of the ships, we prefer the Cloud over the Wind for two reasons - the forward facing gym is really wonderful, and we love the new stall showers in many of the cabins.

Thank you to all who answered my original question so openly. We are pleased to hear the new bathrooms will be coming to the Wind. We personally prefer showers to tubs for safety reasons (especially when aboard ships), so that was one of the factors influencing our decision. So we will stick with our current booking aboard the Wind.

Archived