Suggestions for raincoat/poncho?

I will be needing to purchase a raincoat of some sort. Was wondering if you all suggest a raincoat you can fold up, has lots of pockets, hood, etc... OR do you suggest just a light thin poncho?

I have no clue. I have nothing for this trip and will need to purchase everything. My life at home is the same clothes - work clothes (scrubs) and sweatpants. LOL

I have a 3/4 length North Face, very light weight with a hood. Great for out touring in rain or sun. I wouldn't really want to wear it out at night or over a dress but on a ship, that is not an issue.

If this is the Baltics trip, I wouldn't recommend the cheap ponchos that some could recommend. You could end up having this jacket as your everyday jacket when out and about. A decent rain shell would be good. The North Face, Marmot, REI, MEC, Colombia, all good. Check out Sierra Outpost or Altrec for discounted jackets online. You seem pretty casual, so this type of jacket would fall in line with your at-home clothes. No sense in buying something "fashionable" if it won't transfer over to everyday.

Or the generic equilivent. Many come with zip in/out fleece liners for those cooler days. For the fashon consience there are some very good looking ones out there. Lands End or any sporting goods shops and most casual womans clothing shops will have them. The value of gortex is that it will breath and allow sweat to escape while keeping out the rain if you are doing any form of exercise like walking. A plastic or ruberized coat will turn into your own personal sauna.

a long lightweight Columbia rain jacke.

I also have a cycling clear jacket.

There are a lot of thing out there...

but you should try to find something you have use for again....

Bernadette

When I cruised the Baltic on the Connie my raincoat stayed home on the back of my bedroom door where I had hung it so I would not forget it! :eek: Needless to say, I had to buy another jacket.

I really needed a nice new raincoat anyway, so I purchased this from LL Bean. I took it on my last cruise without the lining and it was perfect for Florida and the Caribbean. I've worn the fleece lining separate a couple of times on cool days and the coat is really warm with the lining zipped in for cold days.

We've been able to get good jackets at sporting goods stores on the clearance rack. Also check Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Ross. Saw some of the name brands in those stores recently.

I have had this LL Bean lightweight rain jacket for several years and I swear by it:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68168?feat=506593-GN3&page=trail-model-rain-jacket

It is ultra lightweight (I can even stash it in my cross-body Kipling purse), well constructed, and absolutely leak-proof. I've been caught in downpours where others have been soaked, but this jacket keeps me dry -- at least, the part that's covered.

There are men's and women's versions.

LL Bean also sells similar rain pants, I have them but have found them less necessary unless I was really planning to be out in the rain for hours (like at an archaeological site with no cover...)

• 2 months later...

backcountry.com is having a great sale on rain jackets from several manufacturers. The Marmot Precip gets great reviews and packs in to it's own pocket. For women, it is slightly fitted, avoiding that boxy look (yes, it's a cruise, but why not look good and buy something you'd want to wear even after the cruise?). Selected colors of this jacket are $64. and change, plus many others on sale. No tax, free shipping on orders over $50.

I have an llbean and DH has a northface raincoat. We bought them for our Alaska cruise in 2007. I use mine all of the time and take it on all of our cruises. We also have the a cheap poncho we got from Wal-Mart in their sporting goods section. They are a little heavier than the ones you get in the dollar store. We have never taken them out of the pouch.

Good luck in your search and have a wonderful cruise.

I don't know if you have any Columbia Sportswear outlets near you, but I found a perfect hooded rain jacket there a few years ago. It's thin, so it takes up virtually no space in the suitcase/backpack. It's not warm enough on a super cold day, but it is fine as a lightweight jacket even when it's not raining. It has a zip and snap closure, a drawstring to make the hood tighter or looser, velcro on the wrists so you can adjust those, 2 inside pockets, and 2 outside pockets that zip closed. It has literally traveled around the world with me and has held up perfectly - still looks brand new!

Archived