HAL Doll Have you seen one before?

colbe

Another website states that many of these dolls were sold aboard the ships from the 1930s to the 1950s.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95511962/norah-wellings-sailor-doll-holland

I have one from 1937... the Veendam. And I also have one from the 1950's from Cunard... the Queen Mary. My Mom always referred to them as "jolly boys" but I don't know why or if that was what they were called in the 1930's.

Susan

I have one purchased on ebay several years ago in mint condition and he is one of my HAL collectibles along with a bobble-head doll that is dressed the same ( sorry I am a computer clutz and can't post a picture) I believe the name of the creator is Norah Wellings and the head is made of celluloid. I don't know how old they are. Thanks for the photos!

This is for sale in New Zealand. I wonder how old it is?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/dolls/other/auction-598167819.htm

I've never seen the doll....However, on our last Grand cruise DH & I each received a gift of a Steiff Teddy in a carrying case with the Hal Logo on one foot..We loved them..One went to our Grand daughter who collects dolls & the other we kept for ourselves..:)

Cheers...Betty

I am curious to see what the HAL steiff bear looks like. Is it possible to post a picture? Thanks!

Have not taken a picture of our Steiff Teddies as have a new computer & still don't know how to get my pics into my computer from my camera..

My DH, used to do all that, but due to illness can't do it any more..

In the meantime, I'll just have to describe it to you:

Each teddy is 10 1/2 inches head to toe..Has light beige fake fur..The Hal logo is embossed on his left paw, which is golden colored felt..His face is also in golden colored felt..They came in a small carrying case, 8 inches wide, 6 inches tall & 3 1/2 inches deep...On the case it says "213 Grand South America & Antarctica cruise"..A note came with them stating, " We picked up a little stowaway today and hope you will give this cuddly critter a good home"..They are handmade & the Steiff tag says it's a Holland America Line exclusive.. Had to stop DH from pulling off the tags..LOL

I love these little darling bears, & as mentioned in my above post, we gave one to our Granddaughter who collects dolls, & kept one for ourselves..One of our Great Grand Babies will eventually receive it..

I believe that everyone on our cruise received these little bears as gifts..Perhaps another poster who was on our cruise will post a pic..

Cheers...:)Betty

Archived