ATM location at VCE?

sweetpea222

We're flying from London to Venice, and will need to access an ATM in the airport on arrival, to take out euros for our B&B. We won't be checking bags, so can anyone tell me the location of an ATM between the arrivals area and the Alilaguna dock?

Also, I understand there is a ticket booth selling Alilaguna tickets down by the dock. We arrive at 5:35 pm on a Monday. Will the booth still be open or should we purchase tickets online in advance or inside the terminal? Will we be able to use our credit card to buy the tickets?

Many thanks.

We're flying from London to Venice, and will need to access an ATM in the airport on arrival, to take out euros for our B&B. We won't be checking bags, so can anyone tell me the location of an ATM between the arrivals area and the Alilaguna dock?

Also, I understand there is a ticket booth selling Alilaguna tickets down by the dock. We arrive at 5:35 pm on a Monday. Will the booth still be open or should we purchase tickets online in advance or inside the terminal? Will we be able to use our credit card to buy the tickets?

Many thanks.

According to info on the Venice airport official site (see link below), there are ATMs located on each floor of the airport.

To look for the locations, see the interactive map on the page shown in the link (after changing to English option). Click on "Ground Floor -- Arrivals Area. At the top it will list services available. Click on Banca di Roma and it will show you the location on the map.

http://www.veniceairport.it/save/aerostazione/map.jsp?m=010303

Thank you! I searched around on the website but couldn't find the locations, only that they had them in the airport. I'll check out the interactive map.

Cruisemom, do you know if they take credit cards for the Alilaguna tickets, down by the dock? I'm sure they must, as they would have so many international customers just arriving, who may not have the currency readily available. Just want to be positive.

I'm in the middle of doing up a "cheat sheet" for each stop on our trip, with our flight numbers, hotel address and phone numbers, arrival and departure times, etc. I will put it in the appropriate pocket of my small accordion file for quick checks. As my husband says, I'm just wired to be organized. :rolleyes:

There are some ATMs in the area just outside the luggage/area. As I recall, they were located against a wall a bit outside of the normal walking routes but you should have no problem spotting the machines. If you cannot find an ATM just ask any airport employee (even those not speaking English will understand "ATM"). There is also a money exchange window outside the luggage area...but the exchange rates at airports are not the best.

Hank

There are some ATMs in the area just outside the luggage/area. As I recall, they were located against a wall a bit outside of the normal walking routes but you should have no problem spotting the machines. If you cannot find an ATM just ask any airport employee (even those not speaking English will understand "ATM"). There is also a money exchange window outside the luggage area...but the exchange rates at airports are not the best.

Hank

Another tip: if you need to ask for an ATM in Italy, they call them "Bancomats" -- you'll have better luck asking for a Bancomat in many cases.

Thank you! I searched around on the website but couldn't find the locations, only that they had them in the airport. I'll check out the interactive map.

Cruisemom, do you know if they take credit cards for the Alilaguna tickets, down by the dock? I'm sure they must, as they would have so many international customers just arriving, who may not have the currency readily available. Just want to be positive.

I'm in the middle of doing up a "cheat sheet" for each stop on our trip, with our flight numbers, hotel address and phone numbers, arrival and departure times, etc. I will put it in the appropriate pocket of my small accordion file for quick checks. As my husband says, I'm just wired to be organized. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't have the absolute answer to that one, having not done it myself. I assume it's possible; HOWEVER, I remembered reading a scam about folks using their credit card to purchase Alilaguna tickets a couple of years ago, so I looked it up. Read here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k3926324-Alilaguna_water_bus_to_airport_ticket_buyers_beware-Venice_Veneto.html

Somehow, crecit card transactions were reflected as cash advances, incurring extra charges.

Personally, I'd recommend just using cash for small purchases like these. It's a far better practice in Europe and helps avoid potential for fraud.

Another tip: if you need to ask for an ATM in Italy, they call them "Bancomats" -- you'll have better luck asking for a Bancomat in many cases.

Sorry, I don't have the absolute answer to that one, having not done it myself. I assume it's possible; HOWEVER, I remembered reading a scam about folks using their credit card to purchase Alilaguna tickets a couple of years ago, so I looked it up. Read here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k3926324-Alilaguna_water_bus_to_airport_ticket_buyers_beware-Venice_Veneto.html

Somehow, crecit card transactions were reflected as cash advances, incurring extra charges.

Personally, I'd recommend just using cash for small purchases like these. It's a far better practice in Europe and helps avoid potential for fraud.

Ahh, thank you. That is very helpful. To be safe, we will simply withdraw euros from the ATM (bancomat!) and pay cash for the Alilaguna tickets.

Hank

Yes, this is what I have read as well. We plan on using the ATM wherever possible. Good to know where to look, in any case. I am sure they won't be too hard to spot. Thanks!

FYI ATM keypads in Europe are often only numeric. So if your pass code is a name/word make sure you know it's equivalent. It can be very frustrating standing at the machine after an all night flight trying to decrypt your code-been there/done that. :eek:

Barbara

FYI ATM keypads in Europe are often only numeric. So if your pass code is a name/word make sure you know it's equivalent. It can be very frustrating standing at the machine after an all night flight trying to decrypt your code-been there/done that. :eek:

Barbara

I can imagine! Here in Canada, our pass code has always been numeric only, so we're good. :)

Have you considered getting some starter euros before you leave home?

For our first trip to Europe I got enough euros in advance to get through our first 24 hours there. I didn't want any hassles upon arriving when we would be exhausted from traveling (machine issues, card issues, etc.). After that, I always bring a few hundred euros home to use on the next trip.

Be sure you notify your credit card and ATM companies in advance which countries you'll be visiting and the dates of your trip.

Here are examples of what can go wrong. On our first Med cruise, a bancomat in Greece ate my card and the bank staff didn't have access to the machine. Luckily, I'm neurotic and plan to have multiple sources of money. We have 2 checking accounts at 2 different banks that we only use for travel. I put however much money we might need in EACH account. That gives us 4 ATM cards. At a bancomat in the Rome airport only one set of cards worked but not the other. (yes, the card should have worked on that network.) We didn't really need the money, but we were flying home and the exchange rate was good, so I decided to get extra euros for the next trip.

Good advice, thank you. We have notified the credit union of the dates of the trip as well as the countries we are visiting, as well as MasterCard. We still need to let Visa know.

We plan to take some euros with us, but as we are spending the first 4 days of the trip in London, we hope to start mostly with pounds and then get more euros when we arrive in Venice. Don't like to carry too much cash with us at any given time.

So we'll have two debit cards, and four credit cards between the two of us. Hopefully we won't run into any problems with machines eating our cards, though. Yikes. :eek:

Good advice, thank you. We have notified the credit union of the dates of the trip as well as the countries we are visiting, as well as MasterCard. We still need to let Visa know.

We plan to take some euros with us, but as we are spending the first 4 days of the trip in London, we hope to start mostly with pounds and then get more euros when we arrive in Venice. Don't like to carry too much cash with us at any given time.

So we'll have two debit cards, and four credit cards between the two of us. Hopefully we won't run into any problems with machines eating our cards, though. Yikes. :eek:

The Bancomat at VCE is after the baggage claim area.

Just a heads up. We just returned from a non-cruise trip to Italy. Contrary to our past experiences with Bancomats, no Bancomat in Venice would allow us to withdraw more than €250 in a given day against a single debit card. It didn't matter which bank the machine was affiliated with...once I had withdrawn €250 from ANY machine, all the rest would say that I had reached my international banking limit. I checked with my debit card company (CapitalOne) and this limit was not imposed by them.

In order to pull enough cash for my apartment rental, I had to use a second card (my wife's), and then fall back to a secondary debit account I had put some cash in before the trip.

This is a new development, as far as I know. I don't know if it's limited to Venice, or is a new change affecting all Bancomat machines in Italy.

• 5 weeks later...
Have you considered getting some starter euros before you leave home?

For our first trip to Europe I got enough euros in advance to get through our first 24 hours there. I didn't want any hassles upon arriving when we would be exhausted from traveling (machine issues, card issues, etc.). After that, I always bring a few hundred euros home to use on the next trip.

Be sure you notify your credit card and ATM companies in advance which countries you'll be visiting and the dates of your trip.

Here are examples of what can go wrong. On our first Med cruise, a bancomat in Greece ate my card and the bank staff didn't have access to the machine. Luckily, I'm neurotic and plan to have multiple sources of money. We have 2 checking accounts at 2 different banks that we only use for travel. I put however much money we might need in EACH account. That gives us 4 ATM cards. At a bancomat in the Rome airport only one set of cards worked but not the other. (yes, the card should have worked on that network.) We didn't really need the money, but we were flying home and the exchange rate was good, so I decided to get extra euros for the next trip.

I would second getting some to take with you we where at the airport in Venice two weeks ago and the only A.T.M we could find ( bottom level far right as you come through arrivals ) was out of service so we had to use our card to purchase bus tickets.

The Bancomat at VCE is after the baggage claim area.

Just a heads up. We just returned from a non-cruise trip to Italy. Contrary to our past experiences with Bancomats, no Bancomat in Venice would allow us to withdraw more than €250 in a given day against a single debit card. It didn't matter which bank the machine was affiliated with...once I had withdrawn €250 from ANY machine, all the rest would say that I had reached my international banking limit. I checked with my debit card company (CapitalOne) and this limit was not imposed by them.

In order to pull enough cash for my apartment rental, I had to use a second card (my wife's), and then fall back to a secondary debit account I had put some cash in before the trip.

This is a new development, as far as I know. I don't know if it's limited to Venice, or is a new change affecting all Bancomat machines in Italy.

I have seen this before, if we need a large amount of euros we plan to withdraw it over several days.

Very odd. I was in Rome in May and used by Cap One debit card. I did not have this issue the one time I needed more than 250 euro. Just did two transactions separated by a couple of minutes.

Going to try to bump this up to get a response. We need to pay a private guide in Euros and wondered where near St. Mark's we may find an ATM/Bancomat. Any ideas?

You use credit card or debit card to withdraw Euro?

Master Card is "CIRRUS" system, the ATM locator URL

//www.mastercard.com/global/atmlocations/index.html

(just add http: at the front)

Enter Country: ITALY, Town: VENEZIA (Venice)

will show you the CIRRUS ATM location in Venice.

VISA is "PLUS" system the ATM locator URL is

//www.visa dot com/atmlocator/index.jsp#%28language:english,page:home%29

enter, venice, italy will show you the PLUS system ATM.

If your credit card is chipped, withdraw money is more secure. If you use a 3rd party ATM machine, your card can be hacked

Hope that help.

Michael

Michael

As a general rule, using a "credit card" to withdraw Euros at an ATM is a big NO NO! Most withdrawals via credit card (as opposed to a debit or ATM-only card) will be charged to your account as a "credit card cash advance." On most cards this means you will accrue interest (from the date of withdrawal) on your withdrawal at outrageous rates (often over 20%) plus some cards also add a ridiculous fee. This does not happen with debit cards. If your only ATM card is also a credit card you can talk to your issuing institution who will, in most cases, give you an ATM (only) card.

For my fellow Americans, I would advise that there is now a way to get a true Chip/PIN card in the US with no fees. It is issued by the Andrews Federal Credit Union....and they offer a free way for everyone to meet their eligibility standards (to join the credit union). They have a Visa Chip/PIN card with no annual fees, zero foreign exchange fees, and offer credit limits up to $50,000. We have fellow CC poster "LEW" to thank for this info.

Hank

Our Canadian banking system is national wide and all credit cards and debit cards are chip, very handy withdraw cash from any ATM worldwide. I have worked out an agreement with my credit card company without paying "cash advance interest", whenever I travel, I prepaid my credit card ahead, any cash advance will immediately offset with my account credit, technically no interest should be charged. Of course , I never withdraw cash more than my preset credit. I would advise checking with your credit card company and its issuing bank on the best plan to withdraw cash in overseas.

I always carrying both "credit card" and "debit card" to travel, in case of lost or stolen, "credit card" replacement is much easier than "debit card". Visa and MasterCard are worldwide institutions; they can replace your lost card worldwide; where debit card is local banking product, unlikely they will courier one oveaseas.

Michael

Hank just join Andrews for the great global trek card. EASY

Agrreed, and we have already done it (and received the Chip/PIN card. However, keep in mind that you do not need a Chip/PIN card for ATM withdrawals. The basic magnetic strip ATM/Debit card still works in European ATMs.

Hank

Master Card is "CIRRUS" system, the ATM locator URL

//www.mastercard.com/global/atmlocations/index.html

Enter Country: ITALY, Town: VENEZIA (Venice)

will show you the CIRRUS ATM location in Venice.

VISA is "PLUS" system the ATM locator URL is

//www.visa dot com/atmlocator/index.jsp#%28language:english,page:home%29

enter, venice, italy will show you the PLUS system ATM.

If your credit card is chipped, withdraw money is more secure. If you use a 3rd party ATM machine, your card can be hacked

Hope that help.

Michael

Thanks so much for the info! This is exactly what I was looking for.

The ATM locator link also apply to "debt card" withdraw, check your debit card is "CIRRUS" or "PLUS".

In general, if you select the preset amount, ATM machine will dispense either Euro 50, 100, or 200 denomination bills. If you select "OTHER" amount option, and type in an amount ending 20, 40, 60 or 80, you will getting some euro 20 bills. It's very difficult to break large denomination bills in Italy except in hotels or banks because the counterfeit euros concern.

-Michael

Archived