Head Back to Alaska or Carry on to the Caribbean?

Blk_Amish

I wanted to do a Med cruise but only a few hours in Rome was incomprehensible so I saved and spend a month there recently.

Double Amen.

I'm not a fan of itineraries that list ports that have parentheticals like (For Rome), or (For Florence) or (For Paris), realizing that my trip to said cities would be a long bus ride followed by a 4 hour stay and then a bus back to the ship. Works for many people, but not me.

With my luck I would go to Rome and miss the Colosseum. Two summers ago we visited Europe for a month spending time in Italy, yes saw the Colosseum, Spain, Denmark and Austria.

Not sure why I need confirmation, not like I am asking permission to wear jeans:-), but I do feel better knowing cruising Tracy Arm was also doing Alaska 'right"

I could live with saying I went to Alaska twice but sheesh, there is another line of which I shall not speak that does a wonderful itinerary.

7 diff lines since 1987, all in the Caribbean, but we find something we missed the time before every time we go back. Heck, there are places in Dallas I have not been to and we have lived here over 50 yr's! :D

Princess provides a trip to New York that includes a ticket to see "Book of Mormon" on Broadway. Other cruise lines provide trips to New York that include a ticket to see "Newsies". All cruise lines give you a Broadway ticket, but Princess gives you a ticket to see the show that many (but not all) people think is better. If you choose a different cruise line, you still get to see a Broadway show. But the Princess folks will tell you that you saw the "wrong" or inferior show. Are they right? Maybe. But everything is measured by personal preference and in small degrees.

I love this analogy! I've had the good fortune to be able to travel some in my life, I've been to Europe, England, Japan, three different Hawaiian islands, Mexico, the Caribbean, New York City, Washington, D.C., all famous tourist destinations. I had fabulous trips every time, but there was always something I missed seeing that I would have liked to, because there just isn't enough time on a trip to see and do everything. We just booked our first cruise to Alaska for this summer, on the Grand. Some of it's itineraries go to Glacier Bay, but the timing on those didn't work with our schedule, so we are going to Tracy Arm. I've looked at photos of both and they both look beautiful and awesome. Maybe someday I'll get to Glacier Bay, I hope to, but in the meantime I plan to thoroughly enjoy my first Alaskan cruise this summer. And who knows, I may find somewhere new I want to travel to before going back to Alaska. Live in the moment and enjoy each trip for what it is!

I would love to see Belize and Honduras but couldn't care less about another trip to any part of Mexico. I have been to Mexico by land and sea way too many times.
The Western Caribbean itinerary to Belize and Honduras is a good one. Even though the ship went to Cozumel, we only got off to go to lunch with friends on an RCL cruise there the same day. Like you, I've been to Mexico many, many times, including week-long land vacations. However, I'm seriously considering the 10-day cruise on the Sapphire next March which goes into the Sea of Cortez. It should be the perfect time to see the whales before they start heading north to Alaska. Plus, for me it means just a 45-minute drive to the port, no flying.

Having sailed to Alaska 5 times and already have my 6th time booked, I can say that Alaska is full of splendor on every visit, and with weather being so varied, each time is a new experience. This year, Marjorie Glacier in Glacier Bay looked wildly different than last year. My hubby and I have our family pic taken in front of her every year, and it's remarkable to note the changes over the years. I highly recommend Glacier Bay, and exploring the interior of Alaska on a CruiseTour is a must do to really check Alaska off your list. Come back to Alaska one more time, and then move on to the Caribbean. The rates are amazing this year!!

Archived