Head Back to Alaska or Carry on to the Caribbean?

Blk_Amish

First, feeling like a complete village idiot right now:D

Alaska was always a dream, bucket list kind of destination. A few years ago we were able to do the Inside Passage from Seattle and was COMPLETELY happy to have that dream of seeing Alaska fulfilled until NOW, and this poster.

"Sorry, but that just makes no sense. You want to check Alaska off the bucket list, but you don't want to one of the biggest attraction IN Alaska?

Would you check off NY without seeing the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building?

Would you check off Hawaii without going to the beach?

Would you check off Paris without the Eifel Tower?

Would you check off Rome without the Colosseum?"

ALASKA was the big attraction but now, I feel that I missed the boat. Did I miss the boat by not going to Glacier Bay and therefore should cancel my planned Western Caribbean cruise to do Alaska 'right' so to speak?

The 'normal' response I get after stating that I have been to Alaska is how my gosh, you or so lucky, not why bother since you did not see Glacier Bay:D

Is Alaska without Glacier Bay not a cruise done 'right' ? Which route would you recommend, there seems to be a few?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm sorry someone gave you that message. It wasn't until our third cruise to Alaska that we saw Glacier Bay, and the first two cruises were magic, just as you said. I'm sure there are places in Alaska even prettier than Glacier Bay; does that mean those of us who haven't seen them should have just stayed home in the first place?

Of course everyone wants to think that the way they choose to travel is best- or they wouldn't have chosen it. Encouraging you to do the same is simply them trying to remove any doubts they might have. At least on this board we all generally agree that cruising is a great way to travel (because most of the world doesn't see it that way), but there are a thousand ways to cruise. Do what's best for you.

Not sure what you saw on your first Alaskan trip (Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm - did you make it to the glaciers at the end?), ? Did you see Tracy Arm on a small boat or large ship?

I went on the Radiance to Alaska and we missed Hubbard Glacier due to ice conditions. In Juneau, I did go to Mendenhall but that is nothing compared to Hubbard or Glacier Bay. I felt left out. I didn't see any large glaciers (Mendenhall from the Visitor Center is just ok).

The following year I did a one way and saw Glacier Bay and College Fiords and WOW - so much better.

Since then, I have gone back several times and have repeatedly seen Glacier Bay, College Fiords, Hubbard Glacier and attempted Tracy Arm via small boat 2x. Also been to Endicott Arm 2x.

If you only saw Tracy Arm via ship, I strongly recommend you go back and try to hit Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier (prefer Glacier Bay) and try to do Tracy Arm via small boat.

If you saw Hubbard Glacier, you probably don't need to rush back but if you missed Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, GO BACK!

I enjoyed the land portion of Alaska every bit as much as the cruise portion, and it is very different from what you see on the cruise (Assume you did cruise only since it was a Seattle cruise?). If you can swing land tour (either with Princess or on your own) and the one way cruise (Whittier to vancouver or vice versa), now you are talking! :D

But...we love Caribbean cruising too...in the end, only you can answer!

for me, in glacier bay, to be that close and seeing and hearing the huge glacier calving was a highlight.

if on your trip, you are happy with the experience, then don't let what others say change your mind. enjoy your vacation the way you want.

there are so many places in the world to see and if you felt you saw Alaska, then move on to the next destination and enjoy!

Do what you want to do when you feel like doing it. I wouldn't live my life based on what other people think. I went to Alaska over 20 years ago and now this year I feel compelled to go back. Glacier Bay is beautiful, but so are many other places. I've been to the Caribbean many, many times in between now and my first Alaska trip. Have you been to the Caribbean before? There's so many places and so little time....and money. Follow your heart. For me, living in a cold weather state, I was mostly drawn to warm weather places. I saw enough cold weather all year here.

We did Tracy Arm Fjord and did make it to the glacier at the end also Mendenhall

I did very little, almost none, research for my first Alaska cruise. I got the deal and went packing. However I never gave much thought to what I missed, well until now:D

We spent 10 days in Hawaii (not much beach:-) in February and enjoyed a Caribbean cruise in April so I am good on sunny destination. Alaska ranks among one of the most visually beautiful places I have seen, along with Kauai in Hawaii and Port Antonio in Jamaica. I might simple put Alaska back on the bucket list with Glacier Bay.

When we go on a trip and "miss" one of the big attractions, that's simply a reason to keep the area on your list of places you'd revisit. Nothing wrong with revisiting. Already been on three cruises in Alaska and there's still plenty more to see.

We feel that someday there will be a can't pass it up opportunity and we'll then have another reason to go back. Heck, some of the Princess last-minute offers for Alaska this summer are really tempting us right now!

If only we had the time ... I never believed all those retired folk who claimed they didn't have time to do something. I believe them now!

Here's something more to think about-seeing what we call "southeast" is NOT seeing Alaska-even if you though in Glacier Bay. Oh yes, you're in Alaska, but it is only a small part of the State. To push your analogy along it is kind of like going to Ireland and then saying you've been to England.

Of course that means -ANOTHER trip to Alaska :D-preferably with a land tour....Of course you still won't see much of Alaska but then, I've been here for 37 years and have traveled far and wide here and I have still much to see.....

Put it into perspective: Glacier Bay is marvelous and not to be missed... but that's when you're considering different cruise lines and itineraries to book for Alaska; not so much after the fact. If you were planning a trip to NYC, people will give advice on what to see. If you've already been there and didn't see the World Trade Center or Central Park, you wouldn't plan a trip just to see what you missed. You'd say, next time I go, I'll be sure to see them.

There are many places in the world worth repeat visits: London, Paris, Rome, New York, etc. You can't see everything in a day or even a week. Alaska is one to put on your bucket list to see again some day. And when you do, combine it with a land tour. Alaska is HUGE with so much to see. You can do it again and again. I flew home from Anchorage a couple of weeks ago. You'd think: ANC to LAX, short flight. Nope. Five and a half hours... as long as it takes to fly from NY to LA, and Anchorage is in the southern part of the state.

I'd say take your Caribbean vacation. It's very different from Alaska and you booked it for your own reasons, which haven't changed. Then, put Alaska on your bucket list for another time. It'll still be there.

I know, I shouldn't have done this but I checked;).

Inside Passage with Glacier Bay from Seattle starting at $449 per person.

Yeah, Alaska back in the bucket so now keep an eye out for deals and opportunity.

Put it into perspective: Glacier Bay is marvelous and not to be missed... but that's when you're considering different cruise lines and itineraries to book for Alaska; not so much after the fact. If you were planning a trip to NYC, people will give advice on what to see. If you've already been there and didn't see the World Trade Center or Central Park, you wouldn't plan a trip just to see what you missed. You'd say, next time I go, I'll be sure to see them.

There are many places in the world worth repeat visits: London, Paris, Rome, New York, etc. You can't see everything in a day or even a week. Alaska is one to put on your bucket list to see again some day. And when you do, combine it with a land tour. Alaska is HUGE with so much to see. You can do it again and again. I flew home from Anchorage a couple of weeks ago. You'd think: ANC to LAX, short flight. Nope. Five and a half hours... as long as it takes to fly from NY to LA, and Anchorage is in the southern part of the state.

I'd say take your Caribbean vacation. It's very different from Alaska and you booked it for your own reasons, which haven't changed. Then, put Alaska on your bucket list for another time. It'll still be there.

Pam hit the nail on the head. The post your referenced was made in response to someone making a decision on Alaska itineraries; one that did and one that did NOT go to Glacier Bay. The one that did not go was their preferred cruise line and the one that did was Princess. The poster was reluctant to change to Princess JUST to go to Glacier Bay.

I would not plan a trip to Alaska in order to see Glacier Bay, specially if you have already done Alaska. If your travels take you back to Alaska, I would definitely call Glacier Bay a "must do".

Alaska is an amazing place, even without Glacier Bay it would still be a great cruise.

Alaska was always a dream, bucket list kind of destination. A few years ago we were able to do the Inside Passage from Seattle and was COMPLETELY happy to have that dream of seeing Alaska fulfilled until NOW, and this poster.

"Sorry, but that just makes no sense. You want to check Alaska off the bucket list, but you don't want to one of the biggest attraction IN Alaska?

Would you check off NY without seeing the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building?

ALASKA was the big attraction but now, I feel that I missed the boat. Did I miss the boat by not going to Glacier Bay and therefore should cancel my planned Western Caribbean cruise to do Alaska 'right' so to speak?

The 'normal' response I get after stating that I have been to Alaska is how my gosh, you or so lucky, not why bother since you did not see Glacier Bay:D

Is Alaska without Glacier Bay not a cruise done 'right' ? Which route would you recommend, there seems to be a few?

Interesting. I have been to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Both are beautiful and I think no matter what cruise you have done, you can check Alaska off your bucket list. I must be one of the few, but I prefer Tracy Arm over Glacier Bay. I think the trip to the glacier in TA is more breathtaking. I wouldn't worry about what responses you get. A trip to Alaska is the goal not the details.

as a 4th generation NewYorker(3rd generation Brooklynite) who has never been to the top of the Empire State Building (of course I have seen it, lol) I can say you did not miss the boat.

only you know what will check off your bucket list -

my bucket list for Alaska didn't even include the glaciers, believe it or not , although I did love Glacier Bay. - it did include Denali and Fairbanks and Bald Eagles and the Arctic Circle and the Northern Lights. Well, I still didn't see the Lights, nor did I get to the Arctic Circle - but maybe someday I will. In the meantime, I checked off Alaska anyway.

Enjoy the Caribbean!

My Alaska cruise not only met but exceed my expectation therefore reason enough to consider going again. As for when, let's see if prices continue to fall like ice off a glacier. I do feel as if I can check Alaska off the list:D

May be silly, but two things I like about Alaska besides the beautiful scenery are:

1) Not being bombarded to buy something as soon as I disembark in each port.

2) I am spending my money in America.

Mike:D

Interesting. I have been to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Both are beautiful ... I must be one of the few, but I prefer Tracy Arm over Glacier Bay. I think the trip to the glacier in TA is more breathtaking. ...

We were fortunate that we didn't have to pick as we we fortunate to visit both. But if we had to pick just one ... may have to side with TA also. It was kinda like sailing into Yosemite valley :cool:

Here's something more to think about-seeing what we call "southeast" is NOT seeing Alaska-even if you though in Glacier Bay. Oh yes, you're in Alaska, but it is only a small part of the State. To push your analogy along it is kind of like going to Ireland and then saying you've been to England.

Of course that means -ANOTHER trip to Alaska :D-preferably with a land tour....Of course you still won't see much of Alaska but then, I've been here for 37 years and have traveled far and wide here and I have still much to see.....

I agree with AKman2495. You won't see it all in one trip, but whatever you do see will be wonderful! We went to Alaska last September, but we didn't have the time nor funds to extend it and take a formal land tour. So, we didn't get to see Denali National Park. It's just something to look forward to at another time. Instead, we rented a car out of Anchorage and drove to Matanuska Glacier. What a wild day! We got to walk on a glacier without paying an exhorbitant fee for the privilege. And the scenery on the drive was breathtaking as well! Sure, it wasn't Denali NP, but we had a great time just the same.

We did cruise on the Island, and we did go to Glacier Bay NP. At least I think we saw it. It was the foggiest, dampest, coldest day on our cruise; the glaciers were barely visible. Personally, I preferred Hubbard Glacier the day before; the weather was perfect and we could see so much more!

The lesson learned is that you need to enjoy what Alaska gives you at that moment. You won't see it all on one trip, and you will need to make plans to go back and catch some more of what you missed on the earlier trip(s)!

Go to the Med!

With my luck I would go to Rome and miss the Colosseum. Two summers ago we visited Europe for a month spending time in Italy, yes saw the Colosseum, Spain, Denmark and Austria.

Not sure why I need confirmation, not like I am asking permission to wear jeans:-), but I do feel better knowing cruising Tracy Arm was also doing Alaska 'right"

I could live with saying I went to Alaska twice but sheesh, there is another line of which I shall not speak that does a wonderful itinerary.

I don't think these analogies that others have suggested hold at all. You physically cannot go to New York without seeing the Empire State Building. All you have to do is look up. Same goes for the Eiffel Tower in Paris, etc. All cruises to Alaska, to the best of my knowledge, give you a glacier cruising day. On Princess, you get Glacier Bay. Other lines give you Tracy Arm, Hubbard and/or Sawyer. So it's not as if one can go to Alaska and not have the "float around the calm waters and look at the scenery" experience any more than one can go to Paris and not see the Eiffel Tower. The better analogy would be to this:

Princess provides a trip to New York that includes a ticket to see "Book of Mormon" on Broadway. Other cruise lines provide trips to New York that include a ticket to see "Newsies". All cruise lines give you a Broadway ticket, but Princess gives you a ticket to see the show that many (but not all) people think is better. If you choose a different cruise line, you still get to see a Broadway show. But the Princess folks will tell you that you saw the "wrong" or inferior show. Are they right? Maybe. But everything is measured by personal preference and in small degrees.

With that perspective, you haven't "missed out on Alaska", and if you think that your money is better spent elsewhere, then knock a few more things off your bucket list. But since you are in California and getting to Vancouver/Whittier is not a major chore, if the price is right, head back to Alaska. But not because you missed Glacier Bay. Do it because I am betting that there are dozens of things that you didn't get to do while you were there.

Full disclosure--this is written by a guy who is not really a Caribbean cruise fan. I have done the Western Caribbean but only because I really wanted to go to Honduras and Belize and didn't think I would get around to a land-based trip there. But I honestly detest the "hit and run" approach of island hopping in the Caribbean where ships dock or tender in what is uniformly the ugliest, least interesting parts of the islands and jewelry and rum seem to be the first thing on peoples' minds for the 6 hours that they get to spend on the island. When I go to the Caribbean, (and I do often), I unpack at a resort and relax for the week and do my best to avoid the places where the thousands of cruise ship passengers will descend.

Glacier Bay is beautiful.... but so is Megans Bay....;) (I cruise to Alaska because my husband loves it so - but my heart is in the Caribbean and it will ALWAYS hold more beauty in my eyes).

But I honestly detest the "hit and run" approach of island hopping in the Caribbean where ships dock or tender in what is uniformly the ugliest, least interesting parts of the islands and jewelry and rum seem to be the first thing on peoples' minds for the 6 hours that they get to spend on the island. When I go to the Caribbean, (and I do often), I unpack at a resort and relax for the week and do my best to avoid the places where the thousands of cruise ship passengers will descend.

Amen.

I recently did the Western Caribbean (Jamaica, like da place, Grand Cayman and Cozumel) cruise with my son but in a month return for a 'real' experience. I would love to see Belize and Honduras but couldn't care less about another trip to any part of Mexico. I have been to Mexico by land and sea way too many times. I wanted to do a Med cruise but only a few hours in Rome was incomprehensible so I saved and spend a month there recently.

It rates hold, there is really NO reason not to!

Archived