Mykonos and Santorini

steilkurve

Hello all. We'll be cruising Greece this summer and are planning our excursions. In Mykonos and Santorini, we were planning of doing it on our own. So, questions. Where do ships dock in Mykonos and how easy is it to get to a beach from there. Ditto in Santorini. Where do tenders drop passengers off and how easy is it to then go Oia or Fira. Thanks!

In Santorini, the tenders drop passengers at the bottom of the cliff below Fira. To get to Fira, you have three choices

- Cable Car - 4 Euros pp each way.

- Donkey - 5 Euros pp each way

- Walk up the Donkey path - Free.

To Oia, you can

- Walk - about 2 hours each way

- Supposed to be a water taxi over there, but I don't know the details.

- Public bus - about 1.50 Euros pp each way. Takes 30 minutes or so. Beautiful scenery along the way. Try to sit on right side going or left returning.

In Mykonos you need to take a bus or a taxi to get to a beach from Mykonos town.

In Santorini, last summer, we took one of the "water taxi" services to get to Oia. We were off our ship (HAL) about 8:00 a.m., paid 20E pp to take the "speed boat" right to Oia from the tender dock. Do not go up the hill to Fira -- there are two agencies that will be happy to take your money. We chose the first agency, can't recall the name. The boat fit a lot of people, and there was a little wait until the boat was full. The boat ride was pleasant, and they will bus you up the hill to Fira, dropping you off by a couple of small grocery stores. Popped in for some bottle water (it was well over 100 the day we were there), and spent two hours exploring Oia.

At that point, we headed back to the spot where were dropped off, and got back on the chartered bus (included in our 20E price) back to Fira.

My parents took the cable car down (about 20 minute wait in the afternoon with 2 ships in port). My sister took the donkey. I walked down -- if it wasn't so darn hot -- it wouldn't have been that so bad. You will need shoes with good grip as the rocks are slippery.

Mykokos - depends whether you berth or tender. And whichever is on the ship's itinerary, it may change according to weather etc on the day.

The berth is a couple of miles from town. A long walk, or over-priced (but not wallet-busting) shuttle, or taxi.

One of the few places in the world where tendering is actually better than berthing. Local boats are used, not ship's own, & they're very quick & efficient. And they land you right in the town harbour, literally yards from the waterfront sights & the town's aopted pelicans, and the maze of colourful & immaculate narrow little alleyways behind.

Santorini - tenders drop at the little jetty at the foot of the cablecar & the steep zig-zag path, either of which take you to Fira, at the top of the cliff. So you have the choice of the cablecar or the donkeys (actually they're mules). Or, I guess walking up the path, but rather you than me.

Oia can be reached by boat from the same little jetty. I believe that the boat trip includes a bus from Oia jetty up to Oia town, but that the return Oia to tender jetty has been discontinued. Beware, my info may not be up-to-date.

Be warned - for the rather limited cablecar there can be huge lines, particularly for the return to the jetty - as long as two hours if you're unlucky. And few mules are used for the return down the path, they don't fare too well downhill. The return down the path takes about 30 minutes on foot, so bear that in mind when deciding when/how to get back to the jetty. Its not particularly arduous, since gravity is your friend. But it's quite slippery, cos many of the stones are polished stones. Not cos of what the mules left behind, that will have dried - but the wind can blow it around like dust so it may not be too pleasant. But hey, its a lot better than missing the last tender.

I believe that ships' tours tender to elsewhere, where there's a road by the jetty, and this sidesteps the need to ascend to Fira.

JB :)

Seeing Santorini without the cable car!

I have a fear of heights so didn't want to do the cablecar/donkey up the side of the crater, so I booked a tour with Princess. We tendered to the older port and the tour bus was waiting for us. We did a tour of the island and visited a winery. At the end of the tour, the bus made a stop at the top if you wanted to visit Fira and take the cable car down. We stayed on the bus and rode back to where we had been dropped off and rode the tender back to the ship.

There was still quite a steep road the bus had to traverse, but I just closed my eyes and made it just fine. Just another option to what everyone is saying about getting to Fira.

Thanks all for the great information. Tempted to do Santorini on our own. Only thing you all seem to be saying is to be ware of the lines when it comes to the cable car in Fira.

You may want to check out the schedule of ships in Santorini that day. We weere there twice in October on b2b and did not wait for the cable car as just one other ship was there

Thanks. Good suggestion. I just checked and there will be two other ships that day in addition to Ruby Princess: Costa Mediterranea and Grand Celebration. I assume that means a busy day for the cable car...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks. Good suggestion. I just checked and there will be two other ships that day in addition to Ruby Princess: Costa Mediterranea and Grand Celebration. I assume that means a busy day for the cable car...

Your one hope is that you are scheduled to arrive well enough before the others. If you can get on an early tender, you would be good.

Your one hope is that you are scheduled to arrive well enough before the others. If you can get on an early tender, you would be good.

We arrive first, though only by 1 hour. Ruby gets there at 7, Costa Mediterranea at 8 and Grand Celebration at 2 pm. Perhaps if we're down from Fira through the cable car before Grand Celebration, we'll be fine.

Mykokos - depends whether you berth or tender. And whichever is on the ship's itinerary, it may change according to weather etc on the day.

The berth is a couple of miles from town. A long walk, or over-priced (but not wallet-busting) shuttle, or taxi.

One of the few places in the world where tendering is actually better than berthing. Local boats are used, not ship's own, & they're very quick & efficient. And they land you right in the town harbour, literally yards from the waterfront sights & the town's aopted pelicans, and the maze of colourful & immaculate narrow little alleyways behind.

Santorini - tenders drop at the little jetty at the foot of the cablecar & the steep zig-zag path, either of which take you to Fira, at the top of the cliff. So you have the choice of the cablecar or the donkeys (actually they're mules). Or, I guess walking up the path, but rather you than me.

Oia can be reached by boat from the same little jetty. I believe that the boat trip includes a bus from Oia jetty up to Oia town, but that the return Oia to tender jetty has been discontinued. Beware, my info may not be up-to-date.

Be warned - for the rather limited cablecar there can be huge lines, particularly for the return to the jetty - as long as two hours if you're unlucky. And few mules are used for the return down the path, they don't fare too well downhill. The return down the path takes about 30 minutes on foot, so bear that in mind when deciding when/how to get back to the jetty. Its not particularly arduous, since gravity is your friend. But it's quite slippery, cos many of the stones are polished stones. Not cos of what the mules left behind, that will have dried - but the wind can blow it around like dust so it may not be too pleasant. But hey, its a lot better than missing the last tender.

I believe that ships' tours tender to elsewhere, where there's a road by the jetty, and this sidesteps the need to ascend to Fira.

John, my info reads that we are anchored at port in Santorini and Mykonos. I am assuming that means we are docked with no need for tenders?

John, my info reads that we are anchored at port in Santorini and Mykonos. I am assuming that means we are docked with no need for tenders?

Err, no.

The exact opposite :p

Anchors are only used when moored offshore, ships don't use their anchors when tying up at the pier.

And there's no port for cruise ships on Santorini, they all moor off-shore & tender to the jetty.

So if ship's phraseology is the same for both places, they'll both be ashore by tender

Err, no.

The exact opposite :p

Anchors are only used when moored offshore, ships don't use their anchors when tying up at the pier.

And there's no port for cruise ships on Santorini, they all moor off-shore & tender to the jetty.

So if ship's phraseology is the same for both places, they'll both be ashore by tender

Thanks John...yup, we're first timers!!

Mykonos is a great beach island. Others have answered your questions on access. As for Santorini, it is not really a beach island. You can go to the caldera with hot springs. Santorini is a special place and should be explored. I suggest taking a tour so you avoid the queues at the cable car and/or avoid the donkey ride.

Hi there we were there last Sep and rented a car from Tonys and shared it with another couple. It was really easy to find and wound up costing us about 25 euros per couple. We went to Oia first and then to the other end to the lighthouse, visited the highest village Prygos for lunch (only accessible by foot) and then ended at Santos Winery. It was easy to do and safe. I would recommend getting an international driving permit from AAA if you drive...only costs $15 and is looked favorably upon. We were back in plenty of time to take the cable car down.

Enjoyed Santorini so much that I'm returing with my daughter this July!:D

Hi there we were there last Sep and rented a car from Tonys and shared it with another couple. It was really easy to find and wound up costing us about 25 euros per couple. We went to Oia first and then to the other end to the lighthouse, visited the highest village Prygos for lunch (only accessible by foot) and then ended at Santos Winery. It was easy to do and safe. I would recommend getting an international driving permit from AAA if you drive...only costs $15 and is looked favorably upon. We were back in plenty of time to take the cable car down.

Enjoyed Santorini so much that I'm returing with my daughter this July!:D

We've also rented with Tony's twice and it was terrific. This last time in May did Oia most of the morning then Akrotiri and Santo winery. Great day and we're doing it again 10/2014.

We've never found an international drivers license necessary, but be sure to check your auto insurance policy to see that you are covered.

Very few visit Santorini without a hunger for more.

We had a huge family discussion last night about Santorini. My husband wants to take the donkeys/mules up the path & me -no way I would be terrified :eek: I keep trying to talk them into a ship excursion so I don't have to go up either way.

I have this feeling it'll be like the Amazing race. I'll go up the cable car with one of the boys and he and my other son will go up via donkey.

We just returned from our NCL cruise which included Santorini. Four ships in port and we were the last to arrive at 1:30pm. Rode the donkeys, was actually fun, a once ever experience. Taxied to Oia and back, $15 euros each way. Dinner in Fira near the large cathedral then rode the Cable car down after about a 30 minute wait. Didn't sail until 10pm so enjoyed the hillside city view from the top deck.

Think you may have been saved by the late arrival of your ship. There will be two ships the day we're there on roughly the same schedule. Concerned there will be congestion early in the day and late in the afternoon on mules/cable car. We're thinking going the excursion route.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am not having any luck with finding the schedule for how many ships in port. We will be in Mykonos at noon on Sept 27th and Santorini at 7:00 AM on Sept 29th on the Ruby Princess.. How many ships in port? Thanks so much!

Thanks for this. I think we may have lucked out. We are the first ship in town (Celebrity Reflection). Then, a Windstar comes in an hour later. It's just the two of us for a majority of the day before a Lewis Cruises ship comes in...but 90 minutes before we leave.

Hope this means not too crowded of a day!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived