Buffets: how do Oceania & Azamara compare

Islandattorney

we really enjoyed the buffet on Marina, so much so that we never even went to the MDR. Now we see an interesting itinerary on Azamara Journey & wonder how their buffet would compare. Anyone familiar with both? (we sailed with renaissance a few times & on one of the little O's so we think we have an idea about difference in size). Anyway, comments welcome...

Oceania are a class act with what one generally refers to as the Buffet .

Firstly it is more upmarket with semi waited service, better quality food and more like a classy cafe .

Most cruise lines the buffet is real push and shove and real pigs trough affair.

Oceania has set tables with even tablecloths at night . All drinks are waited to your table even at breakfast .

The range of food and quality in the Oceania buffets is fantastic. Very littel repetition and lots of themed lunches and dinners .

Most importantly there is no self service , primarily for health reasons. You request the food on sight and the staff serve it to your plate.

Other cruise lines could learn a lot from Oceania about how to do a buffet properly and in a classy manner .

The range of food and quality in the Oceania buffets is fantastic. Very littel repetition and lots of themed lunches and dinners .

Most importantly there is no self service , primarily for health reasons. You request the food on sight and the staff serve it to your plate.

Other cruise lines could learn a lot from Oceania about how to do a buffet properly and in a classy manner .

The same goes for afternoon tea.

We also cruise with Cunard, unfortunately Cunard could learn a thing or two about presenting and serving afternoon tea in the Queen's room which is a shambles compared to Oceania.

Fortunately the afternoon tea served in the Grill's lounge compares favourably with Oceania.

I do not think you can compare the O class ships with Azamara

There is no comparison

If you want to compare the R class ships that would make for a better comparison

The buffet on the R class Oceania ships can't compare with the O class ships!

Fortunately, it looks like all 3 R class ships will be getting a grill when those ships are dry docked in 2014. One of the chefs on board Nautica said it would happen.

I do not think you can compare the O class ships with Azamara

There is no comparison

If you want to compare the R class ships that would make for a better comparison

It is an apple and an orange here!!! LuAnn

As someone who reads these boards because I'm considering Oceania for a future cruise vacation, I, too, would like to hear responses. However, the OP asked the opinion of those who have cruised both lines...I think that would be most helpful. I have cruised Azamara, but not Oceania, so wouldn't consider posting a reply, as I have no experience with O. Perhaps the OP could also pose the question on the Azamara boards? Also, a very good point was made that since A has only the R ships, perhaps comparing the smaller ships would be most apt?

As someone who reads these boards because I'm considering Oceania for a future cruise vacation, I, too, would like to hear responses. However, the OP asked the opinion of those who have cruised both lines...I think that would be most helpful. I have cruised Azamara, but not Oceania, so wouldn't consider posting a reply, as I have no experience with O. Perhaps the OP could also pose the question on the Azamara boards? Also, a very good point was made that since A has only the R ships, perhaps comparing the smaller ships would be most apt?

The key is that NO ONE has experienced what O's R-ships buffet will be like so no one can answer the question the way it was phrased. Well, someone could compare what they are like now but that is not what they will be like in the near future.

As per the previous posters the R-ships are scheduled to be fitted with the so very popular grill station that are on the O-class ships. *Assuming* once completed the buffet is similar to the O ships it will be fabulous. As they are now, on many cruises the buffet is a favourite over the GDR and even more-so on the O-class ships with the grill stations.

Once those grill stations are available the buffets on O's R-ship and Az's will be considerably different.

We have cruised many times on both Az and Oceania (only the smaller ships). We actually prefer Azamara's buffet because each night there is a different theme although there are always many salads, carving stations, other mains, and dessert stations.

One night they focus on Greek, another night Italian, another seafood that was bought that morning. The buffet is beaufiful at night with tablecloths, included wines and drinks, good service, and usually a guitarist or other music.

If you are considering Azamara, you will be happy with everything including the buffet. ddcruiser

I am sailing on the Marina on June 25 and will be blogging live with a comparison of O to A!

I do agree with ddcruiser, the Azamara "Grill" or Windows, is really quite nice. Tablecloths, semi waitered service and different themes. I can't comment on O other than what I have been told and that has been all good.

Can you wait till the 25th???? ;)

Thanks, Cindi...look forward to hearing your feedback. ddcruiser, you echo our sentiments as to our two experiences thus far on Azamara...we always found the buffet to be exceptional....but, we are always open to something new if the shoe fits!

I am sailing on the Marina on June 25 and will be blogging live with a comparison of O to A!

I do agree with ddcruiser, the Azamara "Grill" or Windows, is really quite nice. Tablecloths, semi waitered service and different themes. I can't comment on O other than what I have been told and that has been all good.

Can you wait till the 25th???? ;)

Thanks Cindi...very happy to wait for your impressions.

I am sailing on the Marina on June 25 and will be blogging live with a comparison of O to A! ;)

With all due respect, as others have noted, you can not compare Marina, a 1,200 pax ship to an R ship with one-half the pax and size. It is a fool's exercise. Why not compare the new Royal Princess to Marina- makes as much sense.

With all due respect, as others have noted, you can not compare Marina, a 1,200 pax ship to an R ship with one-half the pax and size. It is a fool's exercise. Why not compare the new Royal Princess to Marina- makes as much sense.

Happy to if you want t pay for my trip on Princess! :p

Comparisons can certainly be made with regards to service, food and overall experience.

Although size matters, :eek: in this case.....not so much!!

One can certainly compare Azamara to the R class Oceania ships since they were all built initially as sister ships for Renaissance cruises years ago. Having cruised on both,I will give you my opinion. The Lido buffet on A is better than that on O in terms of variety, quality equal, service about equal, inclusive beer and wine on A easily gives it the edge. But A can't beat all the nightly lobster tails included in the Marina buffet! On our A cruise there was a special caviar buffet on day at lunch set up in the main dining room where the captain and his senior officers manned the stations to serve the passengers, a very nice touch I have never seen on Oceania,Silversea,or Regent. Also the A ships have a barista/expresso bar that even puts the Marina's to shame, being centrally located on the ship, much more user friendly and accessible and serving better coffee, tea and snacks. Almost as good as the coffee connection on the Seven Seas Mariner. I think you would be very pleasantly surprised by the cruise experiance with Azamara as I was. And for all you Oceania fans out there(like myself) - don't knock it til you try it!

One can certainly compare Azamara to the R class Oceania ships since they were all built initially as sister ships for Renaissance cruises years ago. Having cruised on both,I will give you my opinion. The Lido buffet on A is better than that on O in terms of variety, quality equal, service about equal, inclusive beer and wine on A easily gives it the edge. But A can't beat all the nightly lobster tails included in the Marina buffet! On our A cruise there was a special caviar buffet on day at lunch set up in the main dining room where the captain and his senior officers manned the stations to serve the passengers, a very nice touch I have never seen on Oceania,Silversea,or Regent. Also the A ships have a barista/expresso bar that even puts the Marina's to shame, being centrally located on the ship, much more user friendly and accessible and serving better coffee, tea and snacks. Almost as good as the coffee connection on the Seven Seas Mariner. I think you would be very pleasantly surprised by the cruise experiance with Azamara as I was. And for all you Oceania fans out there(like myself) - don't knock it til you try it!

for this review...we are going back to AZ. after several trips on Marina...for our spring '14 T/A....so looking forward to that experience. And the caviar buffet???....I will be there "with bells on"!!! Had that on Marina on the "Colonial Crossing"...and it was awesome...but not repeated the next year (...I was told that was a "special, one time event"....) yum....caviar here I come!!!! LuAnn

We've sailed both the Marina and the Quest and enjoyed them both but there are certain intangibles with Azamara that give them the edge in my book. There is a comfort level with Azamara that I can't put into words such the way things were done. Getting to the food, the parties on the Lido deck with the variety of local foods, fresh fish, fruits and local wines and beers brought on board Azamara made you feel like a true guest and not just another passenger. I know the OP wanted to know more about the buffet comparisons. I can only say that both will do a good job leaving you satisfied. Each has their own twists and the level of quality will not disappoint. Although unlimited lobster tails may be the deciding factor for some, it matters little to me. How many can you or should you actually eat?

Archived