Makeup in the Med

I use Clinque and am happy with the way it looks and moistures. It only has an SPF 15 but I use an additional sunscreen underneath. I only use the tinted moisturizer in the summer and I also use double face powder rather than a liquid makeup.

Make up? Don't bother. If you are going to the Med in 29 days it is likely to be HOT. It will melt off in seconds. Take a little to wear at dinner in the air conditioned dining room. Relax, don't stress over how you look, wear whatever makes you happy and remember that none of those people will ever see you again :-)

Make up? Don't bother. If you are going to the Med in 29 days it is likely to be HOT. It will melt off in seconds. Take a little to wear at dinner in the air conditioned dining room. Relax, don't stress over how you look, wear whatever makes you happy and remember that none of those people will ever see you again :-)

I figured this. That's why I will stick with the tinted moisturizer and sunscreen, and will take along my trusty brown eyeliner stick and mascara, and then one lipstick. I don't like the feel of liquid makeup and always feel it is greasy in a way when it's on my face. Powder just seems to emphasize any fine lines and looks fake. I am sure I will have a little bit of a tan on my face even with the SPF60 so will hope for a healthy glow rather than make up. :)

I figured this. That's why I will stick with the tinted moisturizer and sunscreen, and will take along my trusty brown eyeliner stick and mascara, and then one lipstick. I don't like the feel of liquid makeup and always feel it is greasy in a way when it's on my face. Powder just seems to emphasize any fine lines and looks fake. I am sure I will have a little bit of a tan on my face even with the SPF60 so will hope for a healthy glow rather than make up. :)

I forgot to tell you about this: when you go to Sephora, buy a little tube of eyeshadow primer. It will help your eyeliner stay put in the heat and humidity. The one I swear by is Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I use it even when I'm just doing eyeliner (I love Urban Decay 24/7) for work - it definitely keeps it in place, even when I space out and forget to remove it at night (it's there in the morning).

I forgot to tell you about this: when you go to Sephora, buy a little tube of eyeshadow primer. It will help your eyeliner stay put in the heat and humidity. The one I swear by is Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I use it even when I'm just doing eyeliner (I love Urban Decay 24/7) for work - it definitely keeps it in place, even when I space out and forget to remove it at night (it's there in the morning).

Another vote for Shadow Insurance. It is my fav! I like the Stila eyeliners - the twisty kind not the pencil sharpening kind.

Touring the Med in the middle of summer is hot and humid.

Less is more....... a little tinted moisturizer, a bit of blush, the least amount eye makeup you can 'present yourself' with and you'll be happy. A touch of lipstick and blush will work for many. I found after touring in Athens, what I wanted most of all was a splash of cold water on my face. Makeup would have been a mess.

What pomade do you use? I don't like anything too stiff, but something I could take and would be easy to put in when I need a bit of style would be great.

I have the Aquage transforming paste. Love it you put a little in your hands rub them together and smooth it through your hair. Seriously a pea size is good if you use too much you feel it (I'm sure you know what I mean)

Another one though is Aveda - the girl that does my hair started at a new salon & they use Aveda. I'm pretty sure it's the texturizing creme she uses when I go. It's also nice and light but gives that little bit of hold.

What other makeup do people bring along? Minimal? Also, is lip gloss / mascara considered "liquids" or can I pack it in my carry on? We're packing super light for this trip, 21" suitcases only, so every bit of space counts.

I'm someone who doesn't wear make up on vacation, so I can't help you all that much.

However, on our recent trip, in Brussels, Madrid and Dubai, they didn't have any issue with the mascara and lip gloss, those weren't concidered liquids.

London Heathrow: they considered this as liquids, they were very strict about it. About 2 out of 3 people going through the security lines had to throw out stuff or needed to check their carry-on. (we needed to check our carry-on). :rolleyes::eek:

...in Brussels, Madrid and Dubai, they didn't have any issue with the mascara and lip gloss, those weren't concidered liquids.... London Heathrow: they considered this as liquids, they were very strict about it...

I mentioned this in my post #3, that it all goes with you anyway. I have learned over the years to just put any and all questionable items in the 1 quart zipper baggie. All I have to do is remove it from my carry on. After security screening, I put it back in my carry on, and then rearrange things if I have a few extra minutes before boarding.

Not specific to you sandravb79, but I'm just not really sure why so many people have a problem with this. Use the zipper baggie anyway, no big deal. It all stays with you - the zipper bag of your cosmetics doesn't end up in another part of the airport! LOL :D:D

I tend to put it all in the zippered bag too. In fact, I just use that as my toiletries kit for the trip, pretty much. I generally take a couple extra in a pocket in my suitcase, in case something happens to the first one.

I will just put my mascara and lip balm in their as usual, then. No sense in trying to figure out where and who will allow or disallow something.

I will be skipping any kind of creamy foundation aside from the tinted moisturizer. I don't think I will bother with a powder either, as I can't see myself wearing it much. So, for me, I'll stick with a soft eyeliner pencil, mascara (waterproof), tinted moisturizer, a light blush for evenings on the ship, and a tinted lip balm that hopefully has sunscreen as well. I really like the ones by Burt's Bees so will look for that.

I tend to put it all in the zippered bag too. In fact, I just use that as my toiletries kit for the trip, pretty much. I generally take a couple extra in a pocket in my suitcase, in case something happens to the first one.

I will just put my mascara and lip balm in their as usual, then. No sense in trying to figure out where and who will allow or disallow something.

I will be skipping any kind of creamy foundation aside from the tinted moisturizer. I don't think I will bother with a powder either, as I can't see myself wearing it much. So, for me, I'll stick with a soft eyeliner pencil, mascara (waterproof), tinted moisturizer, a light blush for evenings on the ship, and a tinted lip balm that hopefully has sunscreen as well. I really like the ones by Burt's Bees so will look for that.

You'll be fine. As for Burt's Bees, I don't think they have a lip product with any SPF in it. I use BBs all the time, but I use something else with SPF if I'm going to be outside. Neutrogena has a tinted balm with SPF 20 that you might look at. Alba Terra has some, too, but it's only SPF 8 and I didn't like the taste of it.

I LOVE Olay CC. It's lighter than BB...doesn't feel like you are wearing anything at all, but gives you some light coverage. It has some sunscreen but if you spend time outdoors, wear it over stronger sunscreen.

I'll check out both those suggestions. Thanks!

For some reason I thought BBs had sunscreen. Must have been thinking something else. I have a Nivea lip balm with sunscreen and I don't like the way it makes my lips look whiteish. Wish I could have tried it before I bought it, but there were no samples at the drug store I was at.

I love my Olay cream, so will definitely looked for the tinted moisturizer. I will have 60 spf face sunscreen too, so that will go on first. Is the Olay size TSA acceptable for carrying on?

. Is the Olay size TSA acceptable for carrying on?

I'm not sure which one you have, but I looked at my Olay daily moisturizer and its only 1.7oz. That really excited me because I can just throw the whole thing in the bag

For some reason I thought BBs had sunscreen. Must have been thinking something else. I have a Nivea lip balm with sunscreen and I don't like the way it makes my lips look whiteish. Wish I could have tried it before I bought it, but there were no samples at the drug store I was at.

I love my Olay cream, so will definitely looked for the tinted moisturizer. I will have 60 spf face sunscreen too, so that will go on first. Is the Olay size TSA acceptable for carrying on?

Some BB does have sunscreen, like Kiehl's - it's a Broad Spectrum SPF 50.

If the Olay comes in a larger than 3.4 oz, 100ml, buy a Go Toob small size and put some of it in there...

I was at Whole Foods today - went to the cosmetics section to see if there were any tinted lip balms with sunscreen. No joy, and, as I thought, that included Burts Bees :(

Thank you! I started reading this thread and thought I was the only person who never wears make-up in the heat. I'm glad to know I am not alone.

Well, I don't wear foundation in the heat, or powder usually for that matter. But I've discovered, since I hit a "certain age" that I like to wear some simple makeup on my eyes, and my skin definitely benefits from a tinted moisturizer to even things out. :D

1.7 oz...yes!!!!:D Bear in mind though that the bottle is tall so it takes up a bit of room in the bag. I've managed with it in my carry-on.

Thank you! I started reading this thread and thought I was the only person who never wears make-up in the heat. I'm glad to know I am not alone.

There are more of "us" out here than you think!!! Like Sweetpea, I usually go "native" except for untinted moisturizer with sunscreen and my trusty Burts Bees lip balm. When I'm going to work, I'll "glam it up" with my tinted moisturizer, eyeliner and mascara. If I'm going out to a party or a business event, I'll add some eyeshadow. I'm low maintenance ;)

If I were to ever to the BB cream route again, I'd pick Kiehl's again, only because it has SPF 50 and wasn't horrid out in the Roman sun. I still felt like I had a mask on because everything looked so singular in color, but it was an experiment. No one knew me, so I didn't feel too bad looking like a clown in makeup ;)

For all of you who've mentioned putting on extra sunscreen in addition to a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, am I the only one who has problems with the stuff getting in my eyes and stinging?

I am at my wit's end to find a sunscreen I can use on my face that doesn't either a) make my face look white and pasty or b) sting if I accidentally get any into my eyes via either perspiring or just casually touching my eye. And when I say it makes my eyes sting, I mean full-on watering and stinging that does not quit.

I started a thread last season about this, but despite trying several of the suggested brands, I have not had any success. For some reason, the spf 20 sunscreen in my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer doesn't have that effect, so I just try to reapply it during the day -- which is fine if I am in and out, like in a city. But if I am really out in the sun touring all day (e.g., at Pompeii or the like), it doesn't fully protect against the sun. :(

Anyone have any ideas?

It's the sweating we do that makes the sunscreen get in the eyes and burn. I just had it happen today, hiking:eek:

I went and looked at my labels on some of my sunscreens and my (our) Laura Mercier - only my Aloe Gator has the same ingredient as the first one and in the same percentage. My Aloe Gator will make my eyes sting if I sweat into them. My Neutrogena ones had a different ingredient, I'll still sting (that's what I used today). So, it wasn't necessarily the active ingredient.

Maybe it's that we put the LM on "lightly", like foundation or makeup, but we slather on the strictly sunscreen lotion.

Archived