Question about Dining Room Seating

Amy5000

Hello all. I've booked a cruise for my extended family (7 of us total including my elderly parents). We'll be on the Statendam this summer for a 7 day "Glacial Discovery" cruise sailing from Vancouver. I've booked us early fixed seating. I'm not sure if I should have done fixed seating or the "anytime" option, but we'll give it a try. So here's my question:

Are there any tables that have superior views in the MDR? I'm not one to be pushy about getting an amazing view, but this trip is likely my parents last big adventure. Alaska has been a life long dream for my 86 y.o. father and my mother does not have the energy / ability to do much more than enjoy the view. If there is superior seating, is there anyway for me to secure a table like this for my family.

Thanks much. Amy

Hello all. I've booked a cruise for my extended family (7 of us total including my elderly parents). We'll be on the Statendam this summer for a 7 day "Glacial Discovery" cruise sailing from Vancouver. I've booked us early fixed seating. I'm not sure if I should have done fixed seating or the "anytime" option, but we'll give it a try. So here's my question:

Are there any tables that have superior views in the MDR? I'm not one to be pushy about getting an amazing view, but this trip is likely my parents last big adventure. Alaska has been a life long dream for my 86 y.o. father and my mother does not have the energy / ability to do much more than enjoy the view. If there is superior seating, is there anyway for me to secure a table like this for my family.

Thanks much. Amy

Your party size might be a bit too large for the better tables (view wise). On most of the ships I have been on, the window tables are limited to 6.

Further, I do not think you can request a "good view" table prior to sailing. You might be able to chage it while onboard, the first day by checking with the head waiter ASAP.

DaveOKC

I looked over my diagrams for tables on the Statendam.

There are no tables for 8 by the windows -- only for 4 and 6 people.

There are a couple of tables that have partial views -- you all would have to rotate each evening. Some will have tlo face towards the interior -- a couple may face a wall.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Hope you all get a nice table.

Thank you all so much. The amount of insight and knowledge on these boards always blow me away. (I can't believe that within an hour of posting I had the info and the seating chart for the dining room posted.

I've decided not to get too hung up on a good table.

Thanks, Amy

Can't help you with the seating, but wanted to say "good on you" for taking your elderly parents on the once in a lifetime cruise.

It will mean so much to them, and even more to you in the years to come.

Have a wonderful cruise and make lots of great memories.

Where do you find the dining room seating chart? I am looking for the Zuiderdam.

Thanks,

CT

I know one exists because someone posted it about a year ago, and I printed it off, but can't find it! Hopefully that same person will see your post.

I know one exists because someone posted it about a year ago, and I printed it off, but can't find it! Hopefully that same person will see your post.

I created the particular file that jtl513 posted the link to, but a fellow cruise critic member named richwmn maintains a site that has the charts for all the HAL ship classes -- I just took his idea and updated it. You can find his site at: http://wa70.com/hal/dining/ which is the root to the file name that jtl513 posted.

Dave

I created the particular file that jtl513 posted the link to, but a fellow cruise critic member named richwmn maintains a site that has the charts for all the HAL ship classes -- I just took his idea and updated it. You can find his site at: http://wa70.com/hal/dining/ which is the root to the file name that jtl513 posted.

Dave

Thank you:) The knowledge and resources on this forum is remarkable!

Thanks much. Amy

Your only option is to request two tables of 4 that are adjacent to each other if you want all of you to be able to enjoy the view. If you have a Neptune Suite booked, then you are eligible for priority consideration for such requests and will generally get what you ask for. Otherwise, put in your request and hope they are able to honor it.

I think you are better off with the fixed seating. I also think that, for Alaska, the early dining gives you the better chance of getting your request honored because the early seating is not as likely to be in demand.

Can't help you with the seating, but wanted to say "good on you" for taking your elderly parents on the once in a lifetime cruise.

It will mean so much to them, and even more to you in the years to come.

Have a wonderful cruise and make lots of great memories.

Thanks HamOp!

<snip>.

I think you are better off with the fixed seating. I also think that, for Alaska, the early dining gives you the better chance of getting your request honored because the early seating is not as likely to be in demand.

I don't know about that. I've got close to 300 days with HAL and without exception the early is the first to be filled.

Archived