Any Edinburgh / Leith / Rosyth questions, let me know.

travelling fools

I'm sorry but I'm away myself (on a cruise of course!!) so not very sure what's going on through September although generally it's quiet after all the hubbub of August. I know the Mary Queen of Scots exhibition is still on at the National Museum of Scotland in Chambers Street. Also there's a newly completed tapestry about the history of Scotland which has just gone on display at the Scottish Parliament by Holyrood Palace at the bottom of the Royal Mile. It sounds well worth a look and it's supposed to be the longest in the world. You might get more info on the Tourist info website http://www.edinburgh.org/see-do/

debs63- Edinburgh is amazing throughout August and there is just to much happening all around the City Centre. Particular highlights for street entertainers are The Mound on Princes Street and outside the Fringe Office in the High Street (Royal Mile). Your girls will LOVE it.

travelling fools

I'm sorry but I'm away myself (on a cruise of course!!) so not very sure what's going on through September although generally it's quiet after all the hubbub of August. I know the Mary Queen of Scots exhibition is still on at the National Museum of Scotland in Chambers Street. Also there's a newly completed tapestry about the history of Scotland which has just gone on display at the Scottish Parliament by Holyrood Palace at the bottom of the Royal Mile. It sounds well worth a look and it's supposed to be the longest in the world. You might get more info on the Tourist info website http://www.edinburgh.org/see-do/

debs63- Edinburgh is amazing throughout August and there is just to much happening all around the City Centre. Particular highlights for street entertainers are The Mound on Princes Street and outside the Fringe Office in the High Street (Royal Mile). Your girls will LOVE it.

Enjoy your cruise!

I do appreciate your sharing your insight. Thank you. I went home and gushed to my DH about all I had read yesterday. Thankfully we are attending the Tattoo out of Glasgow, leaving our time in Edinburgh free. We are going to plan to pass on any formal tour and enjoy the Fringe and the book festival. They both sound like a lot of fun, and unique.

debs

you're quite right to pass on a formal tour. Edinburgh is a great place to visit all year round but in August there's so much more to do that, as you say, is fun and unique.

See you all again in a month after all the lovely ports I'll be exploring in the Black Sea and Mediterranean :)

Hi,

I have questions regarding Edinburgh.

I have been googling about the book festival that occurs in August. We will be in Edinburgh on August 12, during the festival, with our two daughters who love books

The website indicates there are activities geared toward children. Are you familiar with this event and able to share any information?

I've not found a lot of information yet - but I just read about it today, so haven't been searching too long yet. I was trying to find out if you buy tickets to attend the festival, and what kind of events they have for children, etc.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to offer.

The Book Festival does have a lot of activities involving books for children : the programme is usually out in June, it is worth signing up for their newsletter so you get advised of this. The more popular events (not well informed about children's events) sell out very fast.

The Fringe also has many shows for children, these can be booked online.

To get an idea of 2014 programme, 2013 programme will be similar for children, you could look at the websites of the Book Festival (mentioned above) and the Fringe : https://www.edfringe.com/

Obviously, there is so much street theatre and such like activities many newcomers find that enough.

The Book Festival does have a lot of activities involving books for children : the programme is usually out in June, it is worth signing up for their newsletter so you get advised of this. The more popular events (not well informed about children's events) sell out very fast.

The Fringe also has many shows for children, these can be booked online.

To get an idea of 2014 programme, 2013 programme will be similar for children, you could look at the websites of the Book Festival (mentioned above) and the Fringe : https://www.edfringe.com/

Obviously, there is so much street theatre and such like activities many newcomers find that enough.

Thank you. I have signed up for the newsletters for both events. The Book Festival and the Fringe. :)

• 2 months later...

We'll be utilizing a taxi tour for some time on the Royal Mlle before heading out to St. Andrews. How much time should we allow for the drive to St Andrews? Also, the return back to South Queensferry for our tender back to the ship.

Edited by bconley351

We'll be utilizing a taxi tour for some time on the Royal Mlle before heading out to St. Andrews. How much time should we allow for the drive to St Andrews? Also, the return back to South Queensferry for our tender back to the ship.

I would allow at least 90 minutes for the drive from Edinburgh to st andrews and then 60 mins to get back to South Queensferry.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Have you any suggestions for a must see in Edinburgh? We really aren't into museums. We will be there next September 23-26. We will be taking a train from London to Edinburgh. Seems like the Ryder cup golf tournament will also be in the area. Have noticed a great deal of the hotels are already booked. Any suggestion for a reasonably price hotel?

Have you any suggestions for a must see in Edinburgh? We really aren't into museums. We will be there next September 23-26. We will be taking a train from London to Edinburgh. Seems like the Ryder cup golf tournament will also be in the area. Have noticed a great deal of the hotels are already booked. Any suggestion for a reasonably price hotel?

As you say, you are there in Ryder Cup week - it's at Gleneagles, which is just an hour up the road, so that probably explains both the scarcity and eye watering price for rooms on those days. Is this plan a definite (especially as you don't seem to have particular things in mind to see)? Do you count the Castle as a museum?

I've just had a look at some of the main hotel chains and could find virtually no availability. You could get in touch with the Scottish Tourist Board in Edinburgh - http://www.visitscotland.com/ and see what they can offer.

There is currently availability at both Premier Inns in the city centre although they are both vastly over-riced for what they offer and also at Holiday Inn Express in Picardy Place which is a pretty good location too. Neither may be luxurious but your options are very, very limited.

I will be in Edinburgh with my family for a few days that includes Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of where to eat dinner on Christmas day. Any other advice would be appreciated too.

That's a really tricky one as lots of restaurants close on Christmas Day so you might be best in your hotel. Would you mind saying where you will be staying? If it's not a hotel that does food, let me know the area and I'll find out what's available.

We were in the City centre yesterday and it's looking so beautiful with the market, fair and Christmas lights. Sure you'll love it!

Thanks for your quick reply tartanexile81. We are staying at the Apex Waterloo Place (hopefully it is nice). We were hoping to get out of the hotel for a bit and thought the only thing that might be open would be some restaurants.

Do we need any tickets in advance for things on the other days? Is Edinburgh a city we can tour on our own or do we need a guide? We are planing on using public transportation and taxis as we are not renting a car. Driving on the opposite side of the road seems challenging.

Edited by Roimont

Thanks for your quick reply tartanexile81. We are staying at the Apex Waterloo Place (hopefully it is nice). We were hoping to get out of the hotel for a bit and thought the only thing that might be open would be some restaurants.

Do we need any tickets in advance for things on the other days? Is Edinburgh a city we can tour on our own or do we need a guide? We are planing on using public transportation and taxis as we are not renting a car. Driving on the opposite side of the road seems challenging.

I don't know the Apex Hotel particularly but it seems to get good reviews and it's in a great location right in the centre of things. I suppose it means if your room is too low down it may be a bit noisy so I'd ask for a room on a higher floor if poss but as you'll probably be out so much it might not matter. Have you seen the programme for Christmas / New Year in Edinburgh? If not, this is a link to it: https://www.edinburghschristmas.com/

There doesn't seem to be much open on Christmas Day but if you fancy splashing out there is a Michelin starred restaurant close to your hotel at Number One, The Balmoral Hotel. It's about 2 minutes walk.

The George Hotel in George Street seems to be organising a special Christmas Day event. This is less than 10 minutes away and in a great street for shopping, bars etc.. but it's only the hotel that's open on Christmas Day of course.

I always love the look of Hotel Missoni on George IV Bridge, and they might have something less formal on offer. Very fashionable and looks fab! It would be 10 minutes away too.

I would be very happy to visit any of these hotels. BUT if you want something much more casual, there will probably be some Indian restaurants open. You'd need to check whether this is open as we don't eat spicy food but my friend likes Vinyasa in St Marys Street, just off the Royal Mile, which again is only about 10 minutes away.

All these restaurants have websites and are mentioned on TripAdvisor so see what you think and if I can help any more let me know. We eat out quite a lot but unfortunately all the places we'd normally recommend are closed but at least just for one day, so you should be fine on Boxing Day.

Public transport is excellent in Edinburgh and the buses are the best of any city we've ever visited and with taxis plentiful you won't have any trouble getting around. The hoho buses are still operating and we especially like the green one but you shouldn't need a guide. because your hotel is in such a great location. You'll be able to walk easily to the Castle, Palace of Holyrood, Royal Mile, Princes Street, Scott Monument, Calton Hill, art galleries and museums. If you want to see the Royal Yacht Britannia at Leith, you can catch the bus at a stop 2 mins from your hotel.

Most things are free but if you want to go to the theatre (Lion King at The Playhouse, White Christmas at the Festival Theatre, A Christmas Carol by Dickens at the Royal Lyceum or the pantomime at The Kings) you'd need to book. I don't know how long you'll be there but the website I mentioned at the beginning will tell you what's on at Hogmanay and some of those events need tickets.

Hope that helps but don't hesitate to ask if there's anything else you want to know. I hope you love Edinburgh as much as we do!! We lived away for 30 years but so glad we live here again now. :).

Thanks so much for all the information. I have been spending tons of time on TripAdvisor but it is hard to get information about the Christmas week. Cruise critic never lets me down. I looked at the site about Christmas in Edinburgh and it looks like there will be fun things going on. Unfortunately, we only have a short stay 23-26 then it is off to London. Hopefully we will be able to see a lot on the 23rd and 24th.

Do you have any recommendations for Italian food(for other nights). I have one daughter who loves it.

Thanks again!

Roimont, it's a pity you're not going to London first as Edinburgh is really buzzing at New year. New Year is still celebrated more in Scotland that Christmas. However sure you'll enjoy yourself whatever.

There's lots of small Italian restaurants dotted all around Edinburgh, but I hesitate to recommend any I've never used. However I have been to Valvona and Croalla Vin Caffe for lunch and it was excellent. It is only a few minutes from your hotel and is the newer branch of this Edinburgh institution.

We also pop into Prezzo and Pizza Express on North Bridge now and again and they're alongside each other, only a few minutes walk from your hotel. I said it was a great location!! These restaurants are part of national chains but they are attractive places and the standard is pretty consistent. You can book online at

http://www.prezzorestaurants.co.uk/

http://www.pizzaexpress.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Try and do the open top tours to see Edinburgh. You can get a grand tour ticket from Edinburgh Bis Tours that covers all tour buses as there are several routes plus a boat tour from south queensferry around the Firth of Forth seeing the Bridges etc.

Hope this helps.

Hello gstewart,

We wil be in Edinburgh in May on Princess. The Princess website says we dock at South Queensferry. The bus tours sound like a great option for us. How do we get from the port to the city to catch the tours?

Also, do you have any advise re: Sandemans free walking tours?

Thanks in advance for your help. Patric :)

There is a website which will be of some help to you. It's http://www.cruiseforth.com and it will tell you about transfers etc. however in short you will be able to get a coach transfer into the city or take the train. There are details on the website and on this site too but please feel free to ask anything specific.

We had housesitters (when we were away on a cruise of course!) and they used and spoke very highly about Sandemans and said they would definitely recommend but I haven't used them personally.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app