Wine

Baba56

New to Oceania. Are you allowed to bring any wine on board to consume in your cabin?

Yes, pretty much all the wine you desire within reason, but only consumed inside your cabin without any charge.

Yes you can, we use to---but with the drink package being so good, not any more. Take a look on line at the Premium Wine Package on "O" web page. Really a good deal. Now we only bring on a few really good bottles for dinner in the suite.

Yes you can, we use to---but with the drink package being so good, not any more. Take a look on line at the Premium Wine Package on "O" web page. Really a good deal. Now we only bring on a few really good bottles for dinner in the suite.

This is what I found on the website (http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/beveragepackages.aspx)

Which is the good deal you're speaking of? Neither of them seem that great

HOUSE SELECT - $34.95

Per Guest Per Day (Gratuity Included)

Wine & Beer

This package includes beer and a selection of wines by the glass during lunch and dinner in any dining venue or through room service.*

PRESTIGE SELECT - $54.95

Per Guest Per Day (Gratuity Included)

Wine, Beer & Spirits

This UNLIMITED package includes beer, a selection of wines by the glass, most top shelf spirits and cocktails, all of which may be ordered at any onboard venue as well as through room service.*

This is what I found on the website (http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/beveragepackages.aspx)

Which is the good deal you're speaking of? Neither of them seem that great

When you look at the by the glass wine list and add in 18%, this becomes a good deal if you drink 2-3 glasses with dinner alone.

We opted to add the Premium package prior to the cost increase and figure that it will be a bit less costly than paying by the drink based on what we tend to drink on vacation.

I'm just not getting the "good deal" part unless your talking about for Oceania, or you both are really big cocktail or wine/beer drinkers (and in the latter case you aren't picky about the wine you drink).

The total cost per couple comes to $70 per day for just beer and a quite limited choice of wines by the glass selection or $110 per day for beer, wine and spirits. The better deal is the wine/beer package, but you would still need to each drink 3 or more glasses per day for it to make sense. Add in three or four cocktails per day, and yes, you've made a profit.

And keep in mind that you get charged these full amounts on a daily basis whether or not you order any alcohol on a particular day. So, for example, you will be charged the night (or two) you eat at La Reserve (where you're already paying a pretty penny for the wine pairing). Same thing if you don't feel like drinking more than a glass of wine or a cocktail on certain days...or if you're not feeling well and don't drink at all on a particular day.

Second, and most important for us, the choices for wines by the glass rarely interest us. We prefer to spend $50-80 (or even more) for a bottle of good red wine we actually like, which generally lasts us two meals (or perhaps two bottles for three meals). Depending on the price of the bottle, we may still have enough left over for a couple of glasses of white wine and/or a cocktail and till come within or close the $110 price of the premium package--where we may have to drink plonk.

Third, for cocktails I prefer top-shelf spirits like Hendrick's Gin or Woodforde Reserve Bourbon, which aren't included under the premium package.

As I said, your mileage may vary...

I'm just not getting the "good deal" part unless your talking about for Oceania, or you both are really big cocktail or wine/beer drinkers (and in the latter case you aren't picky about the wine you drink).

The total cost per couple comes to $70 per day for just beer and a quite limited choice of wines by the glass selection or $110 per day for beer, wine and spirits. The better deal is the wine/beer package, but you would still need to each drink 3 or more glasses per day for it to make sense. Add in three or four cocktails per day, and yes, you've made a profit.

And keep in mind that you get charged these full amounts on a daily basis whether or not you order any alcohol on a particular day. So, for example, you will be charged the night (or two) you eat at La Reserve (where you're already paying a pretty penny for the wine pairing). Same thing if you don't feel like drinking more than a glass of wine or a cocktail on certain days...or if you're not feeling well and don't drink at all on a particular day.

Second, and most important for us, the choices for wines by the glass rarely interest us. We prefer to spend $50-80 (or even more) for a bottle of good red wine we actually like, which generally lasts us two meals (or perhaps two bottles for three meals). Depending on the price of the bottle, we may still have enough left over for a couple of glasses of white wine and/or a cocktail and till come within or close the $110 price of the premium package--where we may have to drink plonk.

Third, for cocktails I prefer top-shelf spirits like Hendrick's Gin or Woodforde Reserve Bourbon, which aren't included under the premium package.

Hendrick's was most certainly covered under the premium package much to hubby's delight.

funny how a thread starts out by only asking about consuming wine "in cabin" and turns into various comments/disagreements about wine packages....maybe the connection is if you purchase a wine package, they will deliver unlimited amounts fo wine to your cabin for consumption :D

Guess we're VW folks because for our mileage, we don't find the wine and liquor offered on the package plonk.

I may bring a bottle or 2. Anyone know how much the corkage fee is to have your own wine with dinner?

Are there multiple bottle packages (like celebrity) wherein if you order 3-5 bottles at once towards the beginning of the cruise, you save some $$ ??

Are there multiple bottle packages (like celebrity) wherein if you order 3-5 bottles at once towards the beginning of the cruise, you save some $$ ??

There is usually a form in the cabin when you arrive

Price varies depnding on the wines & amount chosen

Riviera had a wine table set up when we arrived with forms to order wine. There was a discount from 3 bottles on up. You can have them sent to your room or they will store them in their wine cellar until you request them either to your room or to where you are dining.

It's not tacky to bring a bottle or more on the ship. We buy the Premium Package it's really priced out pretty good. And the wines on the package are better then most think. If you buy a bottle on the ship for $50 to $80 plus tip, your not getting anything better than the package (and one bottle for two dinners wouldn't work for us). But we also bring a few "really good" bottles that you can't purchase on the ship when we have dinner in the suite. And no you don't have to drink a lot to make the package work, but it's a personal thing and up to you what you want to do.

Rick

Riviera had a wine table set up when we arrived with forms to order wine. There was a discount from 3 bottles on up. You can have them sent to your room or they will store them in their wine cellar until you request them either to your room or to where you are dining.

Was the choice of wines when purchased by the bottle, any different or better quality then what Riviera was serving by the glass? Was there a nice selection, and, if you know, how were the prices compared to buying at a liquor store? I understand the 30% discount when purchasing 3+ bottles, but did that discount just bring it down to regular retail? I ask this, because mark-ups on wine at regular restaurants are easily triple +++ over the retail price... If there isn't a great choice, it still might make more sense to bring one's own bottle(s) and just pay the corkage fee..

It is certainly not tacky to bring your own wine on board. I usually bring a dozen really good bottles and pay the corkage fee. The sommeliers are always eager to see what bottles I have and I am happy to share a glass with them. Sometimes I go wine shopping in certain ports where i know I'll find something special and bring that aboard.

Was the choice of wines when purchased by the bottle, any different or better quality then what Riviera was serving by the glass? Was there a nice selection, and, if you know, how were the prices compared to buying at a liquor store? I understand the 30% discount when purchasing 3+ bottles, but did that discount just bring it down to regular retail? I ask this, because mark-ups on wine at regular restaurants are easily triple +++ over the retail price... If there isn't a great choice, it still might make more sense to bring one's own bottle(s) and just pay the corkage fee..

You can view the specifics on the Oceania website, by the glass and the bottle.

The discount for purchasing multiple bottles at the outset of the cruise does sound like a good deal for wine connoisseurs. "plonk" may have been too negative, but the wines by the glass do not compare to the better whites and reds on the wine list.

Note that if you don't consume an entire bottle and want to have it for another night, they will store it for you and serve it at a subsequent lunch or dinner at any restaurant.

It is certainly not tacky to bring your own wine on board. I usually bring a dozen really good bottles and pay the corkage fee. The sommeliers are always eager to see what bottles I have and I am happy to share a glass with them. Sometimes I go wine shopping in certain ports where i know I'll find something special and bring that aboard.

I agree, I take wine on board and pay corkage. That way I know I will be drinking stuff I like. I've wasted too much money on wine I haven't really enjoyed!

The wines that are available to purchase by the bottle and discounted on the cruise weren't that great of a deal but I suppose they could be construed somewhat better than wine by the glass which is subjective. If you purchase the discounted wines then you do not pay the corkage fee. You need to look at the wines they offer and see if the corkage fee versus the discounted wine makes sense for you. Like food, everyone likes different wines.

You can bring on ship as much wine, beer or spirits as you like but it most be consumed in your cabin. If you bring wine to the dining venues then you are charged $25 corkage fee. Unused wine is stored (like that is ever going to happen) and can be used another night in another dining venue and you are not charged another corkage fee.

We order the house wines for dinner and they are very good. We also purchase bottles of wines when we are in port since the local European wines are excellent and provide a way to sample many we can't get at home for an excellent price. If you wish to bring your locally purchased wine to a dining venue then the cost is $25 for corkage.

We haven't purchased the daily package since we find it costly for us. If you are consuming martinis, single malt scotches and after dinner apertifs then it is probably a good deal. You have to assess your own consumption patterns and decide if it makes sense. We are always on port intensive cruises and are not on the ship during the day so we wouldn't even avail ourselves of having a "few" at lunch to make up the cost of the package. We have our "cervaza" break at the local pubs/cafes in port.

Perhaps if we were on a transatlantic crossing or a cruise with lots of sea days we would consider the package.

Enjoy.

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses - every tip I have found here on CC has always improved my cruising experience. Now I will also search O's site to see where that wine list is actually posted (just to get an idea of what they are carrying)- haven't found it yet...

Also a great idea to bring back some local wines from the port we are visiting!

Thanks all!:D

Now I will also search O's site to see where that wine list is actually posted (just to get an idea of what they are carrying)- haven't found it yet...

I found it under the menu listings for each restaurant. It was the same list for each venue.

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses - every tip I have found here on CC has always improved my cruising experience. Now I will also search O's site to see where that wine list is actually posted (just to get an idea of what they are carrying)- haven't found it yet...

Also a great idea to bring back some local wines from the port we are visiting!

Thanks all!:D

There are some sample bar menus listed as well

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/lounges.aspx

Archived