Am I the only one who likes the idea of an inside cabin...

Thank you so much:)

Being able to put the 2 teenage girls in their own cabin and DH and I in ours is extremely attractive to me. Anyone with teenagers will agree, I'm sure.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Yes I agree. That's why we get inter-connecting. :)

Yes, granted, you are right. If we wanted to pay the money, (and you know what, we probably can afford it), I would love the suite with the grand piano. (Not sure which ship has the baby grand...we are not seasoned cruisers. Incidentally, Beethoven is my favourite composer, and I can play his magnificent music too).

My question genuinely was concerning the advantages and disadvantages of an inside cabin, not what I can afford or not afford, what choices I have or not have.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I can't go there, inside cabin with no natural light is just too closed in for me.

We usually get balconies & we use them, good for getting a nice view arriving/departing port if the weather isn't good up on deck & great for drying some washing as well!

Regards decks, we always choose the higher decks 8 & up if possible, as families trying to be cost effective ( understandably so ) often go for the cheaper cabins, so the lower decks can from what I've seen/heard often have more kids running about plus teens/twenties coming back to their cabins late at night & making noise etc.

But if it meant cruising or not, then an inside is better than no cruise & you can spend most of your time out of the cabin if you find it not a perfect fit. :)

Have a great cruise. But you may have to change your forum name to Radiance/Rhapsody Cruiser now! :D

You will be right Radiance Cruiser.

You get lots of "American opinions" on this site as you would expect.

Let me know what you think of the Radiance, we are on her in December.

We are rich we have a Balcony :rolleyes:

I wish.

You will love the balcony..no comparison...one cabin is dark & boring, the other bright, airy, romantic and when you're sitting out there on a day at sea, tell me when you come back it wasn't mesmorizing? I assure you,MESMORIZING is not a word associated with inside cabins..you are right, both may have advantages...But, I find the biggest difference in a balcony ( as I mentioned in an earler post ), is the connection you have to the sea..sorry, but you just don't have the same connection to the sea in an inside cabin with no light, no salt air...don't forget to order breakfast on your balcony- days at sea are best, and it is free..you can order the night before in your cabin by filling out the order form ( usually on the wall or table..)..give the waiter a few bucks tip ( cash always) and have him set it up outside on the coffee table...don't miss HAIRSPRAY...best show at sea we've ever seen an don't miss the diving show in the Aquapark...also, walk in Central Park ( deck 8 ) at night..it's really beautiful on a nice night...have a great cruise...anymore questions, let me know..we have cruised both Oasis & Allure...

Thanks for the tips about the Oasis. DH picked this one - he wanted to try one of the "big" ships.

Not to be too TMI, but believe me, an inside cabin can be romantic, too. The complete darkness can be fun ;)

I can't believe the lengths that some people are going to on this thread to convince others that their point of view on cabin selection is the right one. Some people can't stand an inside. Others can't stand light when they are trying to sleep. Some have to have a balcony. Some just shower, sleep, and dress in their cabins. Others insist that you would spend more time in your cabin if you had a "better" cabin.

We all cruise for our own reasons. Some like the "romantic" atmosphere of their balcony, "treating" their spouses and not being "cheap" and chilling in their cabins. Others love getting up and walking the ship early in the morning when they have it almost all to themselves, going to bed late, and taking in everything that the ship has to offer in between getting up and going to bed. We all look for different things in a cruise. We all spend our money on what is important to ourselves and our families. What is important to someone else factors not one little bit in how I choose to spend my money while cruising. I don't understand why some are going to such lengths to convince other people that a balcony or an inside is the way right way to go.

By the way, some people have said they don't spend much time in their cabin if they choose an inside cabin.. the reason you don't spend much time in your cabin, is because you have a crummy cabin! When we stayed in an inside cabin once, I coudn't stand going back to my jail cell..but now that we only book balconies, we can't WAIT to get to our cabin..as soon as we walk in there's the sunshine!! And then you open those doors and WOW- the sea, or a beautiful port!! Remember, 35-40% of your time is IN YOUR CABIN...why not enjoy it?

It makes a BIG difference who you're cruising with. If you're going with your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend, sure, you'll want to spend time in your cabin: have a long, leisurely breakfast in bed; eat dinner on the balcony; cuddle while watching a romantic movie; admire the ocean view, watching the ship cut through the water; and of course, um, "rock the ship" at all hours of the day. If you're going with family, yeah, you'll end up spending a lot of time in your cabin. Kids take forever to get dressed. And sometimes, when kids aren't in the mood for the MDR or even the buffet, a family meal in the privacy of the cabin is just as nice.

But if you're going with a group of friends or solo (like I did), there are fewer compelling reason to spend a lot of time in the cabin. There's a ship full of activities to enjoy and people to meet. When I did my cruises, I had a porthole cabin (small round window), although Carnival classifies those as insides. Despite having an ocean view (albeit tunnel-like), the most I ever spent in the cabin is 2 hours a day, outside of sleeping. The portholes were useful for checking it's morning already and/or if the ship arrived in port, but that's about it.

Would I spend more time in the cabin if I cruised solo and had a balcony? Probably not. I prefer to enjoy the same view from a public deck and talk to new people while I'm at it. So a balcony isn't worth the expense for me.

I can't believe the lengths that some people are going to on this thread to convince others that their point of view on cabin selection is the right one. Some people can't stand an inside. Others can't stand light when they are trying to sleep. Some have to have a balcony. Some just shower, sleep, and dress in their cabins. Others insist that you would spend more time in your cabin if you had a "better" cabin.

We all cruise for our own reasons. Some like the "romantic" atmosphere of their balcony, "treating" their spouses and not being "cheap" and chilling in their cabins. Others love getting up and walking the ship early in the morning when they have it almost all to themselves, going to bed late, and taking in everything that the ship has to offer in between getting up and going to bed. We all look for different things in a cruise. We all spend our money on what is important to ourselves and our families. What is important to someone else factors not one little bit in how I choose to spend my money while cruising. I don't understand why some are going to such lengths to convince other people that a balcony or an inside is the way right way to go.

Well said

I'll take any stateroom that gets me cruising!

While I don't usually opt for inside stateroom I've been in them twice (on the Norwegian Star and Studio on the Epic) and have a wonderful time. The sleep was amazing. I'll be in an inside on my upcoming RCCL trip and it's fine by me, I thought of buying an upgrade but it's port intensive itinerary so when I'm in my room it'll be to change clothes and sleep and an inside works for that.

Edited by xenagurl

Originally Posted by pfm18 viewpost.gif

I'm not overly keen on it but at the end of the day I'd rather have more cruises in a cheaper room than less in an outside room

It's the absolute opposite for DH and me. We'd much rather take fewer cruises and have a balcony.

This thread fascinates me, and is a great demonstration of why Baskin-Robbins offers 31 flavors of ice cream!

Big Al - your father sounds like my grandfather. He used to get so irritated with people who went to restaurants and needed an accountant to split the bill precisely based on who had what, that skimped on tips and openly discussed every choice based on cost. He used to say, "If you can't go out like a sport, stay home!"

BTW, this wasn't a man with mega bucks - he was NYPD in the 1930s and 40s and spent many years scraping for food during the Great Depression. When he didn't have money, he found inexpensive forms of entertainment (like fishing) rather than trying to squeeze a nickel until it screamed (in his words).

Thanks for the memory, Big Al. I never met my grandfather - he died of a hospital mistake seven years before I was born. My mother and grandmother spoke of him so often that he was nevertheless a big part of my childhood, and his wisdom shaped more of my life than some of my living relatives!

Last bit - please don't flame me, anyone. I wasn't suggesting for a moment that those who cruise in inside cabins would fit the category to which my grandfather referred. He would have been all over an inside cabin if that's what worked with his budget, but never, never, never would he have skimped on the tips!!!! ;)

My question genuinely was concerning the advantages and disadvantages of an inside cabin, not what I can afford or not afford, what choices I have or not have.

If you read your original post this isn't what you asked. You queried if you were the only ones that liked an inside cabin and said you would love to hear what others think. I think you certainly got what you asked.

As for the other poster who queried why people saw fit to give their views at such length and why they tried to put a case for their own preference it is because this is a public forum for people to post their views and get answers to their questions. I think the forums are wonderful both from an educational point of view and from an entertainment one as well.

Keep them coming!

If you read your original post this isn't what you asked. You queried if you were the only ones that liked an inside cabin and said you would love to hear what others think. I think you certainly got what you asked.

As for the other poster who queried why people saw fit to give their views at such length and why they tried to put a case for their own preference it is because this is a public forum for people to post their views and get answers to their questions. I think the forums are wonderful both from an educational point of view and from an entertainment one as well.

Keep them coming!

I have actually really enjoyed this thread. I did go back and realized the OP did ask for opinions...

boy did we get them. Reminds me of the cola wars (almost) LOL

We booked our first inside room simply because the price couldn't be beat. Considering how little time we actually spend in the room, claustrophobia is hardly a concern. If we don't mind it this time, I would definitely consider booking them all the time. The only exceptions might be a transatlantic, Alaskan, or Hawaiian. The first two of which are on my bucket list.

We wouldn't go if we couldn't have a balcony or better yet a suite. I don't live in a closet so I sure won't vacation in one.

For us, it's not a matter of the size really and it certainly isn't the romance (divorced an on a cruise with daughters and family) but I love just sitting quietly on the balcony watching the sea. Whether it's early in the morning or late at night, I LOVE IT. I love hearing the sound of us swishing through the water, I love the breeze on the balcony. I love feeling on the balcony. We did a last minute cruise 2 years ago and all they had was an inside. It was still a cruise and I loved it, but I missed my balcony....but JMO.

Keep them coming!

Thank you for the info. After all of these years here I never figured that out....:rolleyes:

Edited by Ocean Boy

Not only do I book the handicap room.......but it is just for ME!

That is the ONLY room I EVER book!

It is Fantabulous!

Will Not Change A Thing!

If by chance a truly handicap person needs it.....I am MORE THAN WILLING to Give It Up! Really, what do I care?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never happens!

Yippy for me!

Love a Great Big Shower! Oh yeah!

Sun? Who needs it?! I work in the sun AT LEAST 10 HRS A DAY! IN FLORIDA!!!!!!!!! HELLO?!!!!!!!

I have THE BEST TAN before I ever even go on vacation!

I am the skinny dark brown girl everyone is looking at going, "HOW on earth did she get such a great tan in JAAAAAAAANUARRRY??????!!!!!!!

You need MY room?! NO PROBLEM-O!

not only do i book the handicap room.......but it is just for me!

That is the only room i ever book!

It is fantabulous!

Will not change a thing!

If by chance a truly handicap person needs it.....i am more than willing to give it up! Really, what do i care?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never happens!

Yippy for me!

Love a great big shower! Oh yeah!

Sun? Who needs it?! I work in the sun at least 10 hrs a day! In florida!!!!!!!!! Hello?!!!!!!!

I have the best tan before i ever even go on vacation!

I am the skinny dark brown girl everyone is looking at going, "how on earth did she get such a great tan in jaaaaaaaanuarrry??????!!!!!!!

You need my room?! No problem-o!

/fail