Just off Radiance 7-night Northbound Alaska!

WOW!! what a great week! radiance is a beautiful ship and we had a great time. I will be happy to answer any questions. We were in a GS, hit most of the speciality restaurants, including chef's table, had a wine package, and tried out the luggage valet/drop off service. We did a few RCL excursions, an outside tour vendor, and did Juneau on our own.

Happy to answer any questions. wish my house would stop rocking, though!

What excursions did you do? We have whale watching in icy point booked. Nothing else yet. How did you get from the ship to the airport? We have the train transfer booked.

Was there a lot of late night food available?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

So glad you had a fantastic time!!! You mentioned the wine package, what wines did you have? I have read alot of bad press about most of the selections, but what is your opinion. Did you try any of the champangnes?

The last cruise we had done in 2009, we had found that we really liked the Asti Spumanti by Martini & Rossi so much that we had a bottle everyday @ lunch, Mmmmmm. I do not see it as part of the Wine & Dine package but it is still available to order separately. Just curious about the other champagne choices and your own wine reviews.

Also, was this your first time in a GS? We will also be trying out one next year, what was it like? Do you have any pictures that you can share by chance? May I inquire as to the room # you had?

Thank you so much for any answers you can give,

Linda

I was on this cruise. Beresford isn't back and no one knows when or if he'll be back. Vanessa is still taking his place.

The new menu was rolled out this cruise and they seemed to do well with it. The new relief dining room manager was on top of it. This was also his first week having just come from vacation. He is Seamus from Monarch of the Seas.

What excursions did you do? We have whale watching in icy point booked. Nothing else yet. How did you get from the ship to the airport? We have the train transfer booked.

We took the 7am train booked through the ship for $101 pp. seating is assigned as you depart the building post cruise. Seating is in groups of 4 at a table. We enjoyed our table mates but I could see this might be an issue if you are seated with people you can't relate to since there will be no way to change seats. Which side you sit on makes no real difference since there will be plenty to view on both sides of the train. They say it's a 4 hour train ride but it's more like 5 1/2 hours. We enjoyed it this once but likely wouldn't do it again. Our luggage was at the airport in a storage room when we arrived. Amazingly enough all 4 of our pieces were side by side. Maybe they actually read names on the tags in addition to the numbers and take the time to place luggage together. I did write our last names in each tag. Not everyone does. It was very easy with the train right smack outside the port building front doors and dropping you off at the airport. If you are flying home you can pay for luggage valet and not even have to deal with your luggage.

I was on this cruise. Beresford isn't back and no one knows when or if he'll be back. Vanessa is still taking his place.

The new menu was rolled out this cruise and they seemed to do well with it. The new relief dining room manager was on top of it. This was also his first week having just come from vacation. He is Seamus from Monarch of the Seas.

Thanks Gina.

We took the 7am train booked through the ship for $101 pp. seating is assigned as you depart the building post cruise. Seating is in groups of 4 at a table. We enjoyed our table mates but I could see this might be an issue if you are seated with people you can't relate to since there will be no way to change seats. Which side you sit on makes no real difference since there will be plenty to view on both sides of the train. They say it's a 4 hour train ride but it's more like 5 1/2 hours. We enjoyed it this once but likely wouldn't do it again. Our luggage was at the airport in a storage room when we arrived. Amazingly enough all 4 of our pieces were side by side. Maybe they actually read names on the tags in addition to the numbers and take the time to place luggage together. I did write our last names in each tag. Not everyone does. It was very easy with the train right smack outside the port building front doors and dropping you off at the airport. If you are flying home you can pay for luggage valet and not even have to deal with your luggage.

We were on the May 17th northbound (also did the cruise train transfer)..and perhaps because it was the first of the season the pickup of our luggage at the airport (ANC) was a mess, it was just dumped...not in a storage room and was certainly not grouped together...Glad they have gotten it together for those that cruised after us...Just curious if you know who the DL Concierge was? We had Gazetty but midway Karen took over due to an accident Gazetty had with her finger being injured.

We did Alaska on Rhapsody in 2010,awesome cruise. Next time I will make sure and go on Radiance though. I have seen a special on Radiance ( travel network) I think and it just looks like it has a lot to offer. Glad you enjoyed the last frontier. Cheers.

Hello, neighbor, we're from Knoxville, tn - how did you like your GS, was it worth the extra money, I've never done a suite before and was thinking of a JS or GS, do you have pictures of your GS and would you book that suite again for Alaska? Also what excursions did you do? :)

Seamus is outstanding and it's always a pleasure to sail with him. Was the LA Mackey?

Rick and Deirdra

Seamus is outstanding and it's always a pleasure to sail with him. Was the LA Mackey?

Rick and Deirdra

Yes, Mackey joined on May 31 but is just the reliever for Michelle. Cecelia has apparently been permanently transferred.

Yay! We leave in just over 2 weeks (ACK!). So happy about new menus, we really enjoyed on Oasis last year.

How was ship temperature at night? Similar to Caribbean sailing, i.e. cool? We are planning formalwear and a few dresses (DD and me, DH and DS in tuxes) but was curious if you were "colder" than normal being in AK?

Thanks!

have the new menu started being used yet ?

dave

Yes, but we only ate in the MDR twice. Pimento and Jasmine (lobster night). Not sure how i feel about them. I had lasagna on Pimento night and prime rib on jasmine night. we had such amazing meals at the other restaurants-MDR was just ok compared to them!

Thru RCL, we booked whales in ISP, Bering Sea Crab Boat and canoe adventure in Ketchikan, and the White Pass railroad. All were great. SO many whales in ISP! DH did the canoe trip and loved it. I went on the crab boat and it was the amazing! saw dozens of eagles!

We rented a car in Seward. Was nice to not be with a mass a people for a while. and it was an amazing drive. we stopped at exit glacier and alyeska, as well as many photo stops along the way

So glad you had a fantastic time!!! You mentioned the wine package, what wines did you have? I have read alot of bad press about most of the selections, but what is your opinion. Did you try any of the champangnes?

The last cruise we had done in 2009, we had found that we really liked the Asti Spumanti by Martini & Rossi so much that we had a bottle everyday @ lunch, Mmmmmm. I do not see it as part of the Wine & Dine package but it is still available to order separately. Just curious about the other champagne choices and your own wine reviews.

Also, was this your first time in a GS? We will also be trying out one next year, what was it like? Do you have any pictures that you can share by chance? May I inquire as to the room # you had?

Thank you so much for any answers you can give,

Linda

We did the 7 bottle package and there were some lovely wines. we liked the french chardonnay and there was a great prossecco. my husband ordered the argentine marbec a couple of times as well.

This was our first GS and it was amazing. we do have photos, but i have to figure out how to get them on here. i will post when i figure it out! we were in 1034. there was so much storage and the bathroom was fantastic. double sinks, full shower/tub, loads of storage and counter space. plenty of space on the balcony. we had friends over a couple of times. we opened both sliding glass doors so it really was an extension of the living room. having the gold card was great too. there is a "gold card" area off of the bow above the bridge that was a great place to watch the glacier and for sailaway.

We did the 7 bottle package and there were some lovely wines. we liked the french chardonnay and there was a great prossecco. my husband ordered the argentine marbec a couple of times as well.

This was our first GS and it was amazing. we do have photos, but i have to figure out how to get them on here. i will post when i figure it out! we were in 1034. there was so much storage and the bathroom was fantastic. double sinks, full shower/tub, loads of storage and counter space. plenty of space on the balcony. we had friends over a couple of times. we opened both sliding glass doors so it really was an extension of the living room. having the gold card was great too. there is a "gold card" area off of the bow above the bridge that was a great place to watch the glacier and for sailaway.

We are leaving on the Rhapsody Friday out of Seattle and will be in a GS,,, what is a "gold card"?

We are leaving on the Rhapsody Friday out of Seattle and will be in a GS,,, what is a "gold card"?

A gold colored SeaPass card (room key) is issued to all guests in a GS or better stateroom.

Archived