Really stupid question re: Drinking Water

blaidd ddrwg

No problem. I try to stay away from the "what's better", "which line is better", or subjective threads about service and amenities. I try to run through the boards looking for threads that I can add some technical experience to, in order to help people understand the amazing creation a cruise ship is.

And I for one really appreciate the knowledge you bring to the board. (I have spent my own time aboard ships of course but only have enough knowledge of the engineering aspect to be dangerous.)

I fill a fresh cup, then use the cup to refill my own tumbler. That way I'm not using a "used" cup on the water dispenser.

That's what I will be doing, as well. It's a habit I had gotten into working in office buildings with water coolers.

I think it's 12 bottles/cans per person. But I don't think they really care as long as it isn't alcohol.

On 2 cruises last year they counted as well as shook all bottles. This year in May they shook all bottles but could care less about the amount. Go figure...

Yes, I know, this is probably stupid, but I'll ask anyway.

How is the tap water onboard? I drink an insane amount of water on a regular day, and being in the water and sun and breezes, I know I'll drink more. Instead of always buying or carrying multiple bottles of water, I'd love to just refill my Tervis when on deck. Is this doable? Does the water taste okay?

Thanks!

Not a stupid question at all. I drink lots of water as well and it was a concern of mine too.

From my experience is, it depends on the ship.

On the Liberty in 2011 it was just fine. On the Imagination in 2012 it was kind of gross. Breeze 2013 (just a few weeks ago) it was just fine.

Crew members aren't often thrilled, however, with people filling their water bottles from the Lido buffet.........sanitary issue.

[/font][/size]

How is it different than filling up a cup? As long as you don't shove the thing directly against it it shouldn't be an issue.

I think there is more of a sanitary issue at the buffet with typical buffet people eating off their plate, licking and sucking their fingers then grabbing the tongs for the next station. Happens ALL the time. Yech

How is it different than filling up a cup?

Per USPH regulations; cups, glasses, or bottles should not be reused at the drink dispensers. A fresh glass should be used every time. This is because you are potentially transferring germs from the rim of the glass to the dispensing lever, and the following users will transfer this to their glass when they depress the lever. The crew cannot ensure that the water bottle has been cleaned and sanitized before it is used to depress the dispensing lever.

Per USPH regulations; cups, glasses, or bottles should not be reused at the drink dispensers. A fresh glass should be used every time. This is because you are potentially transferring germs from the rim of the glass to the dispensing lever, and the following users will transfer this to their glass when they depress the lever. The crew cannot ensure that the water bottle has been cleaned and sanitized before it is used to depress the dispensing lever.

Thanks for the info. So its basically for the folks who shove the bottle right up to the nozzle?

Thanks for the info. So its basically for the folks who shove the bottle right up to the nozzle?

Yea I need to bring my own water in my carry on , because purchasing CC water was kind of expensive

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Question: When last did any of you drink Nature's own sky-juice

straight from the heavens, via your roof?

Answer: Back when you were kids, right? -straight out of the rain barrel

without Mom knowing. :)

Did it taste good? You betcha?

Did you die? No wayyy!

So how come you're not still doing that? Afraid of anti-bodies?

Think you'll die? You won't.

Humans don't die anywhere near that easily

-despite the "Vitamin B" on your roof. :D

wpc.jpg

I just need to know exact about a bottles can each person bring.

To quote from Carnival:

"On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less."

Rather than spend money on bottled water, which is nothing more than filtered tap water....why not buy a filter sports bottle or pitcher. You can have the steward remove everything from your cabin frig and keep the pitcher in there; or fill the filtered sports bottle from ice water dispensers (being careful not to touch the bottle & dispenser nozzle together).

It's NOT the water that makes you ill (i.e. Montezuma's revenge) -- if it were, all the locals would be down with it too ...

It's Americans!!! Our government agencies in their zeal to protect us from ourselves, have caused our food and water to be the absolute purest in the world, resulting in our systems being so totally clean that WE cannot handle what the rest of the world is eating and drinking.....

You took a drink out of a rain barrel as a kid; caught rain drops off the edge of the roof after a rain; munched on an icicle that you broke off; and drank out of the neighbors, or gas station hose on a hot summer day ......but now you won't drink tap water, and spend ridiculous money for bottled water that without the benefit of flouride (for one) is causing an increase in cavities among children - something that had almost been eliminated before the bottled water craze....

Look behind one of those bottled water machines sometime - the kind you can fill a gallon or larger container from. There's a tap water line hooked into the back of it (where'd you think the water came from??)

Well, the nozzle is certainly supposed to stay away from contact, but if you have drunk from a glass, your mouth has touched the rim, and the rim is what is used to depress the lever. This is the worst culprit.

Question: When last did any of you drink Nature's own sky-juice

straight from the heavens, via your roof?

Answer: Back when you were kids, right? -straight out of the rain barrel

without Mom knowing. :)

Did it taste good? You betcha?

Did you die? No wayyy!

So how come you're not still doing that? Afraid of anti-bodies?

Think you'll die? You won't.

Humans don't die anywhere near that easily

-despite the "Vitamin B" on your roof. :D

wpc.jpg

This is to funny but true.

To quote from Carnival:

"On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less."

Rather than spend money on bottled water, which is nothing more than filtered tap water....why not buy a filter sports bottle or pitcher. You can have the steward remove everything from your cabin frig and keep the pitcher in there; or fill the filtered sports bottle from ice water dispensers (being careful not to touch the bottle & dispenser nozzle together).

So I'm buying wine so I put it in my luggage or carry-on ? Because someone told me different

I always take my own bottle, a hydroflask. I have no problems with the water on board. I usually fill it up at a bar or at the buffet, and yes I use a clean glass.

If you like them, take some packets of flavoring, whether it be crystal light or another.

I always take my own bottle, a hydroflask. I have no problems with the water on board. I usually fill it up at a bar or at the buffet, and yes I use a clean glass.

If you like them, take some packets of flavoring, whether it be crystal light or another.

Good to know

So I'm buying wine so I put it in my luggage or carry-on ? Because someone told me different

Wine (1 bottle each person in the cabin) must be in your carry on bag, so they can check it when you process onboard. Anything iin your checked luggage will be considered "excess" or "contraband" and removed, then held and returned to you the last night, or before you disembark.

Archived