Touring suites

Uncle D

On our 1st Oceania cruise we were curious to see the upper suites in person. Our butler told us if we were able to stick around between 8:30am to 9am the last day, the suites would be turning over between cruises and empty. He also mentioned that Oceania would never show a cabin unless it was empty.

In the end. . . . . . a few of the cruisers we met on-board with large suites were happy to invite us in when asked;)

We have invited friends on-board to our PH to view the over-sized balcony. One couples said they are interested in booking it on a future cruise. I feel seeing spaces in person gives a much better perspective. After seeing the Oceania suites on the 12th floor we decided to book one for my 50th b-day in a few years.

On a recent cruise on Marina we were invited into one of the owners suites by the couple in residence. They told of the first day, while things were coming and going into their room, a guest came in and used the bathroom just off the entrance. She came and went and housekeeping was summoned to reset.

During like first day comings and goings we watched a fellow passenger come walking through our OS. He advised he was looking for the rear elevator.

How did he get in without a keycard??

Simply put, day one comings, goings and early entry confusion. apparently door was not fully closed re some other delivery event...ice, flowers, etc, who knows. In he came...we were all amazed by the intrusion. Except for the other pax that is. Sandeep, one of the world's great butlers, was in the room with us and was equally stunned and mortified. He dealt with it.

Simply put, day one comings, goings and early entry confusion. apparently door was not fully closed re some other delivery event...ice, flowers, etc, who knows. In he came...we were all amazed by the intrusion. Except for the other pax that is. Sandeep, one of the world's great butlers, was in the room with us and was equally stunned and mortified. He dealt with it.

Understand now that you explained it

Usually I throw the lock on when in the cabin

Caroldoll, I agree with you completely, especially when you refer to it as "my owners suite". It is your own space that you have paid for and you deserve privacy and security during your cruise.

It is unbelievable that a private tour of the owner suite, vista suite and Oceania suite would be vacant and/or available to tour during a cruise (not embark or disembark day). Of course, the person who toured did not notice if they were occupied because they were too busy taking pictures. Hmmm, it would be interesting to see those pictures. Usually, clothes in the closet is a clue...

Caroldoll, I agree with you completely, especially when you refer to it as "my owners suite". It is your own space that you have paid for and you deserve privacy and security during your cruise.

It is unbelievable that a private tour of the owner suite, vista suite and Oceania suite would be vacant and/or available to tour during a cruise (not embark or disembark day). Of course, the person who toured did not notice if they were occupied because they were too busy taking pictures. Hmmm, it would be interesting to see those pictures. Usually, clothes in the closet is a clue...

Let me set everyone's mind at ease, I got it from the VERY HIGHEST AUTHORITY at Oceania, just this morning, that the tour of the Suites that precipitated this post was only taken with the full and informed consent of the passengers involved:

"We arranged with the occupants of those Suites to have that passenger tour them in the company of the General Manager. We would NEVER allow ANYONE to enter an occupied stateroom without the consent of its' guests."

Jim and Stan, thank you for contributing and getting info from the highest source. It is a confusing issue made even more confusing by the posters own words:

"did not see any indication that they were occupied. It was the end of the cruise and we were going through quickly - being shown suites by someone we never saw before."

I always appreciate your perspective and input. Look forward to seeing you on a future cruise.

Jim and Stan, thank you for contributing and getting info from the highest source. It is a confusing issue made even more confusing by the posters own words:

"did not see any indication that they were occupied. It was the end of the cruise and we were going through quickly - being shown suites by someone we never saw before."

I always appreciate your perspective and input. Look forward to seeing you on a future cruise.

This whole thread could have been avoided if the OP had been up front and honest in her postings.

To give you an idea of how difficult it is to enter an occupied stateroom, let me share my recent experience.

On my recent Nautica cruise, the routers that affected stateroom internet access had to be reset. The router for my cabin was located in the cabin next door. They would not allow ANYONE (not from IT, not even the stateroom attendant) to enter that cabin to reset the router UNTIL THE PASSENGERS RETURNED AND GAVE CONSENT. So I waited for around 5 hours (until those passengers returned to their stateroom) to have my stateroom internet access restored.

So much for the idea that Oceania permits access to staterooms without consent.

Let me set everyone's mind at ease, I got it from the VERY HIGHEST AUTHORITY at Oceania, just this morning, that the tour of the Suites that precipitated this post was only taken with the full and informed consent of the passengers involved:

The whole discussion could have ended long ago had the "VERY HIGHEST AUTHORITY just posted those facts before

"we were going through quickly - being shown suites by someone we never saw before."

Obviously not the GM in this case

I really think I am missing something here concerning the post that started this, but if anyone thinks any cruise line or for that matter any hotel would take people into your room without your consent then you think it is a flee bag operation and who would stay there in the first place. If Uncle D thinks Oceania is taking people through his room when he is not there he should not sail on them. If security is that lax how could you sleep at night? If I felt I needed someone to get the official word from the highest places in Oceania that no one broke into my room I would never sail on them again regardless how good the food was or for the matter if they gave me a free room.

I really think I am missing something here concerning the post that started this...

The entire matter wass started on another forum, where some people don't care for the poster who had the tours, and tried to do something to create a controversey. It's at best a tempest in a tea pot and best ignored.

Can we put this to rest now? Please!

Of course. Lets not pursuer this any further. Cruise Critic, or not. Even though I would like to have the same privileged tour. But then so would every body else. I guess you need to know the right people. GM, Captain, Hotel Manager, and any body else with a few stripes. After all, we are at one time first time cruisers on a given line and I guess we should expect platinum service. Some receive it and some don't. Where do I sign up? Or is this a perceived imagination? Besides J & S's I would like to see other posters photos of cabin tours.

Just a question to Jim & Stan. Your photos are exceptional. Did you get private access to cabins to take your photos?

Just a question to Jim & Stan. Your photos are exceptional. Did you get private access to cabins to take your photos?

Not for the R ships, I'm just a very good Google-er, but we did have the opportunity to inspect both the Marina and the Riviera before they carried their first paying passengers, and in the case of the Riviera, because we were sailing on her Maiden Voyage as well, we lived on the virtually empty ship for two days in Venice.

193036.jpg101250.jpg

Once I am on board and have access to my suite, i'ts my suite. You best beware.

I agree with you. I am happy to invite people into our suite (and did so during the cruise in which we occupied the Owner's Suite), but that invitation comes from us to the people we choose to invite into our private stateroom.

Otherwise, I would consider even the request by management to show our suite at any time after it is cleaned and made fully ready for our occupancy—or worse, during the cruise itself—as an intrusion.

Once we have totally vacated the stateroom at the end of the cruise, then the butler or stateroom attendant may show it as she or he sees fit as long as he or she has inspected our stateroom to ensure that we have left no possessions behind. The reason I added the previous sentence is because we did leave something behind on our Alaskan cruise on Regatta (a purchase we had made in the gift shop the last night), and when we realized it at home after unpacking and I notified Oceania, they said there was nothing left behind in our room. Well, there was something left behind, but we'll never see it again and we'll never know who took it. (It was in a bag from the store shop, so was clearly a new purchase, though not an expensive one.) Considering how generously we tipped our butler and his staff, how well we got along with them and with the presumption that they are honest people, I can't imagine that they were the ones to take the bag, but someone going through the stateroom did, as it had to have been out in plain sight, most likely on a dining room chair or on or near the sofa.

(From another line: I have found all sorts of undies and socks from prior occupants on a few cruises on HAL in years long past, but they were either under the bed with the dust bunnies, or had fallen behind overstuffed drawers, and we handed everything over to our stateroom attendant.)

Archived