Voyager smelly?

Cruised on Voyager of the Seas in May 05... had a horrible smell in the hallway and in our balcony room, which was on the sixth floor. Complained to the desk

all week, nothing had been done. Has anyone else come across this problem?:confused:

We had a wondeful cruise, but this put a damper on hanging out in the room!

Cruised on Voyager of the Seas in May 05... had a horrible smell in the hallway and in our balcony room, which was on the sixth floor. Complained to the desk

all week, nothing had been done. Has anyone else come across this problem?:confused:

Maybe you brought the smell with you from Philadelphia....relax I live here too.......but have you ever smelled the refineries near the PHL airport....enough to kill!!

I'll be on the cruise in a few months, I hope they clear the smell up then. I hope I don't get the balcony you were in, we have a guarantee so I could be anywhere on the ship.

Live in South Jersey and agree, that is a horrible smell near the airport. :eek:

What do you think was the cause of the smell?

I have read about this odor, on the Princess board, in reference to the Caribbean Princess, and the Diamond. I have also seen it discussed in reference to other ships on other lines at different times. We sailed the Caribbean Princess when new, and the odor in the atrium near the pursers desk was sickening on two occasions. Evidently whatever caused it was fixed, have not heard it mentioned since. Does not seem to be uncommon for this to happen occasionally.

We have noticed that older ships tend to have sewer odors in some areas. That's why we try to stick to new ships. We had a horrendous odor in our cabin on the Holiday. The cabin next to ours where our friends were staying had no odor at all. We nearly had a fight with the purser's office before they finally sent a plumber. He worked on the drains for several hours. It wasn't great after that, but was at least tolerable.

But, believe me, we learned our lesson! A couple of years ago, when we boarded the Celebrity Summit, we realized immediately that our room and the one my brother and his wife were in next door had sewer odors, not overwhelming but certainly noticeable. We wasted no time and immediately went to the purser's office, told them we'd been through this sewer odor problem before and insisted that they move us to other rooms before the ship sailed or we would leave the ship and demand a full refund. They worked hard to accommodate us. We were moved to the other end of the hall and had no problems whatsoever.

So, I can tell you from personal experience that ships do get sewer odors, that seem to worsen with the ship's age, and that those problems can be very spotty -- one room can be intolerable, and the one right next door will have not problem at all.

Contary to yogimax's dismissive (and rude) comment that the OP's post was without merit (how exactly did yogimax make this determination since he/she wasn't there?), it sounds like the OP had the same problem we have encountered previously. We've learned the hard way that you have to be very proactive immediately about this or the purser's office will simply let you suffer. And, it really can ruin a cruise.

Although not foolproof, we are very experienced cruisers and we've found sticking with new ships seems to help.

Got off VOS last Friday and never smelled any odors. Were on 8th and 9th floors, one was balcony. Maybe it was something close to your room, unfortunately. Would have been nice if they could have moved you to another room, but may not have been one available??

We have noticed that older ships tend to have sewer odors in some areas. That's why we try to stick to new ships.

The ship we experienced the problem on was the Caribbean Princess, which was just three months old. The Diamond Princess was also a new ship.

It smelled like sewage and was constant outside our room, especially bad when we had the balcony door open

I would've kept the balcony door closed ;)

"Dr. it hurts when I do that."

"Then don't do that"

-Monte

Contary to yogimax's dismissive (and rude) comment that the OP's post was without merit (how exactly did yogimax make this determination since he/she wasn't there?), it sounds like the OP had the same problem we have encountered previously..

Hey Lyncruiser, how in the world was my comment rude? Look at all the responses to this post. Your experience, as well as that of the OP, was clearly the exception. If anything, your judgmental response was uncalled for!

It is interesting how some RCL cheerleaders discount the "experience" of other passengers by saying that they were on the same ship a week earlier or later. Most cruisers know that from one week to another the service on a given ship can be up or down.

After 17 cruises, I have found that a ship may have a sewer smell that can be localized to one or more decks or to the atrium.

We were on Granduer last year and the problem was on deck 4 and in the atrium and nowhere else. With the maze of piping on a ship, I would bet that things get out of whack at times.

Archived