New Free Shuttle - Marseille Port

Goldygolfer

• 2 weeks later...
The free shuttle bus now only operates on Saturdays and Sundays, from 9:40am to 5:40pm (30min interval).

11402026585_ee540f9599_z.jpg

Anybody know about plans to make the free shuttle available daily?

Edited by 3ssn

• 5 months later...
I think someone in another post showed that they have extended the days to include Monday

We used the free shuttle on Sunday. June 15. The sign said Saturday, Sunday and Monday 9:00 to 5:00. We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam. They denied its existence. I asked one of the ladies in the gift shop, on shore at the dock, where it was and she gave me directions. It worked well for us but requires a bit of an adventurous spirit.

Obviously NCL had told their passengers about it as most of the people on the bus were from their ship.

See you soon

Can you tell me where you caught this bus? Was it at the end of the long port?

We were docked near the land end of the long dock on the left hand side. NCl was over to the right and further from the land end of the dock. Where we were, there was a chainlink fence compound where the ship shuttles and tour buses were situated. We exited that area on foot (there is a green painted pathway along side the road which shows people the route to the local #35 bus which also takes you into Marseille). It is quite a long walk it appears to the public bus. Just to the left, as we left the fenced area, there was a sign for the free shuttle. You have to be looking for it as it is not very prominent. This may sound confusing but because ships dock all over the place it is hard to give detailed directions.

See you soon

I have read other post says Rcl liberty of sea dock at the far end of port. It is impossible to walk to the free bus to town, the only way is by taxi only. Is it the only choice and it costs about 25 euros. how can I find out more information about how to go into town. thank you

• 2 months later...

I googled marseille tourist office cruise port transport

And came up with

Marvelous provence

http://www.marvellous-provence.com/travel/water/marseille-cruise-ship-port

which is full of info.

What has always worked for me was getting together with other pax to share a taxi. I personally would go to Joliette where there is a main short ride tram.

If you head for the Tourist Office on la Canabiere (can a beer) you can't go wrong. It is just above the Vieux (old)Port.

For shoppers: once at Joliette walk back toward the bay/water where there is a fab new shopping center, open EVERY DAY called

Les Terrasses (lay tare OSS).

The ground floor has a modest food hall (lay all) and fab ice cream place called Barbaraz. There is a wine shop.

The main level has a Printemps, H&M, many shoe and clothing stores, a good kitchen shop, linens..and on the bay, with views , several restaurants, one an Italian place selling freshly made pastas, pizzas, and made before your eyes main course salads. There is outdoor dining at both the seafood restaurant, called Roy Rene, and the Italian one which is a bit like Panera.

There are elevators and escalators and it is all wheelchair accessible.

So if you just want to while away the day this might be a choice. It is before the MUCEM. which is the new museum of Mediterranean history, a stunning building.

I just went there yesterday and was amazed that after years of road building, this area is finally sorted out.

If you want to go to the shopping, just take a taxi directly, it is less than three miles. Tell the driver

Lay. Tare OSS

I haven't notice a grocery store or pharmacy in the center, but I am sure there is something near the Joliette tram.

Susan

I sailed RCL and it docked at the very end, last ship. My family and I did make the long journey to the end of the port looking for the free shuttle. We never did see the sign for the free shuttle or the free shuttle itself. When we walked out of the fenced area Bus #35 just happened to pull up, thank goodness! I didn't think I could walk anymore! The bus cost 1.8 euros each and our young daughter was free. The driver of the bus was so nice and patient, the family in front of us didn't speak French either and wanted to know where the bus went, they were very confused. It goes to Joliette. From there we took another very short bus ride to Vieux Port. The trip to town cost 3.6 euros! We took a taxi back to the cruise ship from Vieux Port and it cost about 20 euros. I think if I did it over again I would take a taxi from the ship to Vieux Port. The walk is very long and I have bad knees, my husband was fine walking so I guess it depends on if you like to walk. It is farther than you think!

• 4 months later...

I haven't seen any mention of this free shuttle service since these posts in 2013. I also read that the shuttle has been protested by taxi drivers and the cruise lines who charge for their own shuttle service. -- All this to say, does anyone know if the shuttle service is still available? Thanks in advance for your help!!!:D

• 4 months later...
Did you notice if the shuttle was wheelchair accessible? That is, did it have a ramp or lift? Also, does the shuttle take you to the city center? Is there a stop at the train station?

The free shuttle bus that we were on was wheelchair accessible. A passenger ahead of us in the lineup was using a wheelchair and he entered into the bus on a first priority basis. I didn't see if it was a ramp or a lift but I believe there is a ramp in the photo. This was the free shuttle bus to the Princess ships at Gate 4. It's quite a large double length, newish bus.

It was a non-stop ride.

7DSC00602.jpg.34deff541b733b844423db111b0ae24d.jpg

Yes, does anyone know if the shuttle is available in 2015? Also are there taxis available for five passengers (SUV type) in Marseille? Thank you!

We used the free shuttle bus to Marseille on June 7/15 during our Emerald Princess cruise. The Princess ships were docked at the Gate 4 docks. It would be a 1-2 hour walk along the pedestrian unfriendly roads through an industrial area to get to downtown Marseille. Princess offered a shuttle bus for 16 Euros per person. Taxis are available for around 52 Euros. The city of Marseille offered a free shuttle service which is not advertised by Princess. This photo shows the location of the free shuttle bus stop as viewed from the ship. Marseille is in the distant background. A line is drawn in the photo which shows the path to get to the free shuttle bus stop.

1DSC00608.jpg.a797287e04313fc2b46c5ba0f0a8870d.jpg

Edited by sail957

To get to the Marseille free shuttle bus, walking the line drawn in the photo, we walked off the Emerald Princess and went through the information booth. The attendant at the booth told us that a taxi to downtown Marseille was 28 Euros one way. She said it was too far to walk. She discouraged the use of the city bus because some downtown streets were closed for a walkathon. She did not mention anything about the free shuttle bus. We had heard rumors about the free shuttle to Marseille but Princess made no mention of it.

Along the route to the free shuttle bus, we saw this sign referring to the city bus, #35, which takes you to roughly the same place as the free shuttle. However, it seems the city bus is near the Port #4 outside gates which is an additional 20 minute walk and costs 1.30 Euros one way. The city bus is not the free shuttle bus.

A sign near the free shuttle bus stop states that the service runs Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Tuesdays only, 9am-5pm. The bus runs every 20 minutes. It warns about walking to the city.

The free shuttle stop was on the left side of the road when walking from the ship. The stop provides shade with a canopy. It was not crowded when we were there at 10:00 a.m. Maybe 15 people waiting.

The shuttle bus dropped us of at the bottom of the bottom of Boulevard des Dames. It was a 10 minute walk to the nearest Metro stop.

The lineup was short when we returned to the shuttle bus stop at 2 p.m. as seen in the photo but, I think we just missed the bus by 5 minutes. The lineup grew substantially while we waited the 15 minutes for the next shuttle bus and not quite everyone got onto the bus. A few people didn’t get on the bus and they had to wait 20 minutes for the next bus.

The road to the ship is pedestrian unfriendly for anyone daring enough to walk however it’s easy to follow. Simply stick to the road as it follows the shoreline. It’s a long 4-5 mile trek and the scenery is not pleasant. It looks somewhat dangerous due to traffic in some spots.

In terms of orientation, the Princess ships were docked at the Gate 4 docks. Ships are docked on both sides of the dock, a north side and a south side. The south side of the dock is named Post B and you can see the Caribbean Princess docked there in the last photo. Our ship, the Emerald Princess was docked on the opposite side, the north side of the dock, named Post D. The photos were taken from the north side, Post D, but it’s the same directions to get to the shuttle regardless of which side your ship is docked.

3DSC00609.jpg.06f666c00ab97cb012ef61eb557f9295.jpg

4DSC00605.jpg.0bbe391f71d560755694f0734d8249dc.jpg

5aDSC00604.jpg.88520537a8013dc76e82eb9bf50f53de.jpg

6DSC00601.jpg.63d1a9cc1ac60835fe7b89b2108ae8c1.jpg

8DSC00563.jpg.39cca12e59c05b01459031e7e5eb21c8.jpg

aDSC00590.jpg.4e80fac632dee8a4fa873b0a68d72c30.jpg

b2DSC00592.jpg.d4e80781f0f9c914caf750020974bcb4.jpg

b3DSC00599.jpg.a2b90c01d22a4499cde650bafafda0da.jpg

2DSC00610.jpg.e2044e1ca6f267f29e2ef83af45f7393.jpg

Excellent post, sail957! Thanks for the detailed directions and marked-up photos.

Our Celebrity ship calls there on a Tuesday in September. Did you happen to see any clues as to which location they dock at within the port?

• 1 month later...

I am on the Emerald Princess. We were just in Marseille today, a Sunday. We took a taxi to the Vieux Port at 8 am, because we wanted to leave early.

I just want to confirm that the free shuttle is running today. When we returned we took the free shuttle back to the cruise port. It was at Place Joliette, one block from the metro Joliette. There were 2 buses waiting, marked SPECIAL. From Joliette tram 55 takes you to the Vieux Port, or you could walk.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Allure from the 16th - 23rd, we were in Marseille on Tuesday the 18th and the free shuttle was in deed running a little walk from the terminal as others have described.

We were dropped off just outside Hangar J1, we walked out through the gates seen here and back in when going back: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.3039279,5.364935,3a,75y,290.35h,84.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTn3BTKv_d2gyzwmHgxMJXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

rKFaped_zpskmfymb08.jpg

OzauhNy_zps8nltrdve.jpg

Running times/days:

y5aFN0w_zpsffl0xfwk.jpg

9:20am -> 4:30pm every Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday

Royal Caribbean offered us a shuttle to the town for $20 - 30 per person, we actually found where their buses were stopping 5 minutes walk from where we were dropped off by the free shuttle so I recommend you don't use a shuttle your cruise line offers for a cost as it's not worth it at all.

Edited by cuddylier

Great advice,,,thanks ! My question is which major attractions are close to the bus stop ??

To be honest, we don't care too much for attractions always and are happy enough to walk around towns and maybe drop by McDonalds and then go back to the ship which is what we did do. I saw a massive arch near one of the McDonalds which may have some significance, someone else is probably better placed than me to tell but apart from that, we saw nothing significant apart from the metros going around everywhere.

Hopefully someone else may be able to chime in if they know any good attractions in or around the town.

We will be there on a Wed. and the sign I am looking at in the photo says the free shuttle runs Fri - Tues. Does that mean there is no free shuttle on Wednesdays or are the times just different??? Help Please!

I'll go on the assumption it won't be running on Wednesday, I'm assuming you're coming in on a relatively small cruise ship? It's impossible to walk out of the port, would take far too long without some sort of shuttle bus. It's a commercial port so not very safe either to walk the whole way out. I think it was 6 - 7km, 10 minute bus ride.

Edited by cuddylier