Some photos of the Danube in Budapest

H2Otstr

Can only post 6 at a time :rolleyes:.

296125_10151404620733414_1874817109_n.jpg

Viking boat.

1004594_10151404620813414_1739659427_n.jpg

Reporters were standing on the sandbags.

1003820_10151404620903414_1883110268_n.jpg

Tram tracks were flooded on the Buda side right near the Chain Bridge.

945641_10151404621068414_125697210_n.jpg

Sandbags across the tram tracks on the Buda side.

993531_10151404621193414_969067227_n.jpg

BBeautiful sunset.

H2O, is this new flooding as of today June 13?

Are cruise boats able to travel and load passengers?

No, these photos are from June 9, 10 and 11th. We came home last night.

The waters had receded quite a bit while we were there.

We were there just over a month ago.... And rode the tram. It really puts the level of flooding into perspective..... Thanks for posting.

In the one picture, was that the steps to the underground that was flooded??

Fran

We were there just over a month ago.... And rode the tram. It really puts the level of flooding into perspective..... Thanks for posting.

In the one picture, was that the steps to the underground that was flooded??

Fran

Fran, not sure where those steps went, but most of the photos were taken from the walkway that parallells the river. This was my second trip to Budapest, but I don't remember the underground being on the riverfront.

Shoes on the Danube were totally flooded.

Wow! Great first hand reporting...I think it would be very hard to have a first visit to Budapest under these conditions! At least you had been before and could take in the scene as something different from your last visit! But I wonder about the wisdom of adding tourists to an area struggling to recover from a major natural challenge like this?:confused: I think the cruise lines should have cancelled!

Thanks for the photos. It is amazing how high the river is now but I guess they knew what they were doing way back when they built the bridges. One good thing is at least it is fresh water that does less damage to infrastructure than salt water. I used that through-way (or one that looks similar) to get to the river a couple years ago.:eek::)

I received an email from our tour guide in Budapest. This may be of interest to folks like us who are keeping a close watch on the recent flooding.

Unfortunately the flood was very bad over here, on Monday it had reached the highest water level ever!!!!

We are kind of used to the floods, as it happens almost every year, but this one was very BAD!!!

I personally live just outside of Budapest, far from the affected areas, but for many people it is really so bad L especially in small villages and in small towns which are at the riverside.

People did not get injured or died (luckily) in Hungary and historical buildings were not damaged due to the very good protection system, but ordinary houses had been flooded.

Now slowly the water will be going down, but it will take while until things will get back to normal and of course lots of place will have to be restored.

Thank you so much for your concern, it is very nice of you to think about us!

Kind Regards,

Archived