Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

No. You can reserve a cabin with a larger balcony. There are larger balconies on the Royal than the one depicted in the UBD pictures for two.

This doesn't make any sense. If the cabins of which you speak are occupied by other people, (presumably, cabins with larger balconies will not go unsold), then how could you reserve one of these balconies for an UBD? Are you suggesting that they leave a certain mumber of cabins unoccupied so that they can be used for UBDs? That can't be right. By way of example, on Dolphin Deck Forward, there are 78 cabins between the numerical range of D139-D406. Of those 78 cabins, 66 of them are set up to accomodate 3 or 4 passengers. But on that deck there are only 12 cabins with larger balconies. First of all, I doubt very much that the people in those extended balcony cabins will want strangers coming into their cabin for a reserved UBD. But secondly, the math doesn't work. 66 cabins can't share 12 balconies.

But doesn't it sound to you, through the use of the phrase: "it was a bit snug", that dinner for 3 or 4 (or more) would be impossible? There are an awful lot of cabins that are marked on the deck plan as accomodating 3 or 4 people. Are all of those passengers excluded from the benefit of a balcony meal? I don't think that that is greatly exaggerated.

I hadn't given that much thought since I always thought the ultimate balcony dinner was supposed to be more of a romantic two party dinner. Maybe the universe that is getting excluded on that one is pretty small.

Also, above, I believe Mom33 is implying that if you have more than two in your party AND you want a UBD for more than 2 people, then you might want to book one of those 12 Deluxe Balcony cabins with the larger balconies.

I hadn't given that much thought since I always thought the ultimate balcony dinner was supposed to be more of a romantic two party dinner. Maybe the universe that is getting excluded on that one pretty small.

There are people here who report having as many as 8 at an UBD. We have always done it with three. Given that at least half the cabins are set up to accomodate more than two people, I don't think the universe is a small as you think.

Anyone going to be in Venice this summer?

Are you planning a trip to Murano?

On my Crown trip this winter, I bought a gorgeous pendant that sadly broke recently when it fell on a tile floor. My Italian daughter-in-law contacted the two possibilities of stores (by receipt) which were near each other on the quai. We've sent them email pix. No luck. But this one store specialized in them. Cost about $85.00. If someone is shopping and would buy me a replacement, I not only will replace all costs and shipping, but send you back a very unique gift worth the same amount!

I can give better directions if someone is interested, but here is the photo if someone likes it for themselves.

Pendant1.jpg.1fb629a6d6a50d00e4e7bfedda1c50a7.jpg

Pendant2.jpg.a00db17b45545e134c00b908afac5de4.jpg

hi Bernadette and all,

We are now in Barcelona, having a wonderful time and getting excited about boarding the Royal Princess on Wednesday. Bernadette, I hope you are staying on a day or two here...it is such a lively and beautiful city. and the weather is perfect...sunny and hot, but not as humid as we are used to back home. I can´t wait to catch my first glimpse of the ship!

I will do my best to blog from the ship and intend to start a new thread!

We are in the same boat -- scheduled to take it but not sure about just a boat ride/shopping trip/bus ride. Please let us know about this.

Ann

We did a private tour when we went to Cinque Terre from the Ruby TA in Oct 2011. The guide/driver let us off at Riomaggiore, the southernmost town. It's quite a steep walk down to the sea there. He then walked with us to Manarola along the Lovers Walk, where we got on the boat that takes people to Vernazza. We had free time (shopping, lunch) there and the driver then drove us up to Cornigilia, which is high above the sea. Less than 12 hrs after we left, the area was hit by tremendous rains, causing muddy flooding of 12 ft or more in Vernazza and damage along the rail line, as well as Lovers Walk. They did an amazing job to "open for business" in spring of 2012, but obviously still have more restorative work to do. We did run into a number of Princess tour groups in the various towns.

hi Bernadette and all,

We are now in Barcelona, having a wonderful time and getting excited about boarding the Royal Princess on Wednesday. Bernadette, I hope you are staying on a day or two here...it is such a lively and beautiful city. and the weather is perfect...sunny and hot, but not as humid as we are used to back home. I can´t wait to catch my first glimpse of the ship!

I'm so excited for you! Have a wonderful visit in Barcelona. It is one of our favorite cities. Looking forward to your reports.:D

There are people here who report having as many as 8 at an UBD. We have always done it with three. Given that at least half the cabins are set up to accomodate more than two people, I don't think the universe is a small as you think.

I sitll believe the lion's share of UBDs are romantic balcony dinners for two. Oh well, this Live thread is not the place for this disagreement. It should probably go on the complaint thread for the Royal.

hi Bernadette and all,

I will be watching for it.:):)

This doesn't make any sense. If the cabins of which you speak are occupied by other people, (presumably, cabins with larger balconies will not go unsold), then how could you reserve one of these balconies for an UBD? Are you suggesting that they leave a certain mumber of cabins unoccupied so that they can be used for UBDs? That can't be right. By way of example, on Dolphin Deck Forward, there are 78 cabins between the numerical range of D139-D406. Of those 78 cabins, 66 of them are set up to accomodate 3 or 4 passengers. But on that deck there are only 12 cabins with larger balconies. First of all, I doubt very much that the people in those extended balcony cabins will want strangers coming into their cabin for a reserved UBD. But secondly, the math doesn't work. 66 cabins can't share 12 balconies.

Your assessment of my post doesn't make any sense..:D

I hadn't given that much thought since I always thought the ultimate balcony dinner was supposed to be more of a romantic two party dinner. Maybe the universe that is getting excluded on that one is pretty small.

Also, above, I believe Mom33 is implying that if you have more than two in your party AND you want a UBD for more than 2 people, then you might want to book one of those 12 Deluxe Balcony cabins with the larger balconies.

Thank you hubofhockey.:D

hi Bernadette and all,

If you don't have all of your dinner plans set, check out Cerveceria Catalana. Great tapas and great food and drink.

Looking forward to your live posts. That is my absolute favorite itinerary.

But doesn't it sound to you, through the use of the phrase: "it was a bit snug", that dinner for 3 or 4 (or more) would be impossible? There are an awful lot of cabins that are marked on the deck plan as accomodating 3 or 4 people. Are all of those passengers excluded from the benefit of a balcony meal? I don't think that that is greatly exaggerated.
Not defending the Royal because I see potential issues and will make up my mind in late September, however the standard 5'x9' balconies on Grand Class ships really wouldn't comfortably accommodate 3 much less 4 people for a UBD either. It is true that the Caribe deck balconies and probably the minisuites will accommodate more than 2 people. UBD is sort of geared for two.

Joining the ship tomorrow. Just had our last dinner in Barcelona and feeling very full up. The Hard Rock Cafe give you way too much food but after eating lots of lovely tapas since we've been here it made a nice change.

Looking forward to getting on board for a rest. I have walked more in the last 3 days than I have in the last 3 weeks. So much to see in Barcelona. Tip. Do the tour bus early or late otherwise you are likely to melt unless you sit on the lower deck.

Hopefully everyone arrived safely in Barca and are looking forward to the cruise.

Joining the ship tomorrow. Just had our last dinner in Barcelona and feeling very full up. The Hard Rock Cafe give you way too much food but after eating lots of lovely tapas since we've been here it made a nice change.

Looking forward to getting on board for a rest. I have walked more in the last 3 days than I have in the last 3 weeks. So much to see in Barcelona. Tip. Do the tour bus early or late otherwise you are likely to melt unless you sit on the lower deck.

Hopefully everyone arrived safely in Barca and are looking forward to the cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise! Enjoy the new Royal.:D

Joined the Royal Princess today in Barcelona. As this is our first ever cruise we have nothing to compare it to so with no expectations or preconceived ideas this will hopefully give you a feel from a newbie to cruising.

We, are my wife and two teenage children (19 & 18).

Embarkation was very smooth and well organised. Far better than any airport I have ever used. What greets you as you enter the ship definitely had the wow factor for us. Found our cabins in the Riviera deck very easily. Luggage turned up in very short order and we are now unpacked.

Been for a walk around but with so much to look at we have not taken it all in yet. The Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro are large with a great selection of food. I would find it hard to believe that even the fussiest of eaters would struggle to find something.

Muster was at 5.30pm local time and did not last too long. Returned to our cabin and have used the shower for the first time. Not the most powerful but adequate. Also, for those people worried about the shower being small, I am around 245lbs and 6' 3" and had no problem at all. If you are over 6' 6" you may need to duck a bit.

Just waiting for the sail away and then it will be getting ready for dinner time.

Hi There

If shower is not powerful request it is checked ours had low pressure but was fixed after we asked for it to be checked.

If eating buffet take a walk around first as there is much choice

Enjoy your cruise there are so many little areas to find

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Joined the Royal Princess today in Barcelona. As this is our first ever cruise we have nothing to compare it to so with no expectations or preconceived ideas this will hopefully give you a feel from a newbie to cruising.

Embarkation was very smooth and well organised. Far better than any airport I have ever used. What greets you as you enter the ship definitely had the wow factor for us. Found our cabins in the Riviera deck very easily. Luggage turned up in very short order and we are now unpacked.

Been for a walk around but with so much to look at we have not taken it all in yet. The Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro are large with a great selection of food. I would find it hard to believe that even the fussiest of eaters would struggle to find something.

Muster was at 5.30pm local time and did not last too long. Returned to our cabin and have used the shower for the first time. Not the most powerful but adequate. Also, for those people worried about the shower being small, I am around 245lbs and 6' 3" and had no problem at all. If you are over 6' 6" you may need to duck a bit.

Just waiting for the sail away and then it will be getting ready for dinner time.

For a report from a first cruiser "newbie," I am very impressed! Folks on the CC Forum are blessed to have you join us and provide your unbiased opinions about what you see and sense! No comparisons to make is a blessing in some cases, and this certainly is one of those cases. I don't cruise until the Maiden Caribbean on 10/29/13 so am very interested in other folks' views on this new ship. So happy to have you chiming in! :D

Thanks for your comments. It will be wonderful to have a "newbie" cruisers observations. Don't worry, if you don't like something, please be sure and tell us. Those of us who have 80+ days to wait are really getting excited and any news from you will be appreciated.:D

I am sure you have had your dinner by now. Please try the fettuccini alfredo when you get a chance. It is very, very good.:)

Thanks for your comments. It will be wonderful to have a "newbie" cruisers observations. Don't worry, if you don't like something, please be sure and tell us. Those of us who have 80+ days to wait are really getting excited and any news from you will be appreciated.:D

I am sure you have had your dinner by now. Please try the fettuccini alfredo when you get a chance. It is very, very good.:)

Looking forward to your review, there's nothing like your first cruise:D

Your teens are going to have an awesome time and be addicted, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy:D:D

Archived