Extra Tipping

RJB

How necessary is it to give extra tips when we are following O's guidelines and leave our tips thru the ship? We did give our butler a little extra, but think that was enough. Should we have given more? Any thoughts? :)

It was nice that you gave the butler extra. Don't feel bad about what you did or didn't do. When you are not on this page which tends to start heated discussions, ask some people who have become friends. It varies from person to person. If there was someone else who did something above and beyond, a little extra doesn't hurt. My opinion only.

IMO the "guidelines" for tipping are quite low given the fact that service is never included in the United States (here it is, and we are not expected to tip, ever!). As I understand it, one normally tips 15-20% in the US. Anyway - we do tip staff who provide additional service on a cruise. And at the end of the cruise. For example, we tipped our wonderful butler on the Riviera $100 and the equally lovely stewardess $40.

In the past we have had far less wonderful butlers on Regent and we have not added any tip for them. We try to do what seems appropriate in the circumstances...

Fuuny how we differ on amounts. I would sooner tip the stewardess extra than the butler since she has to share with the pool. On a 20 day cruise the butler gets $12 per day or $240. That's a pretty substantial tip imo and unless he/she does something extraordinary, more than enough.

Fuuny how we differ on amounts. I would sooner tip the stewardess extra than the butler since she has to share with the pool. On a 20 day cruise the butler gets $12 per day or $240. That's a pretty substantial tip imo and unless he/she does something extraordinary, more than enough.

Does the butler tips not go in the pool? Also, in the PH and up the stewardess seems to do half the work that they do in the lower cabins. There they serve room service and do all the jobs that the butler does in the PH. Our butler was wonderful and deserved an additional tip beyound what the ship put on our bill. :)

Archived