Bayport Cruise Terminal (Houston)

napunani

Does anyone know approximately how much a cab would cost from the cruiseport in Houston to the seawall area in Galveston?

We are staying there for a few days post cruise - and were going to rent a car but only see one car rental agency near the cruise port?

Thanks in advance - am enjoying this thread!

Terry

Terry you can try this link http://www.worldtaximeter.com/

I sent this link to my sister who recently went on a cruise out of Los Angeles and she used it to get a fare estimate from LAX to her cruise port. I think it was pretty close. Always negotiate a fare BEFORE getting in the car. Actually she says offer a few dollars less than what the fare shows on the link above. If it shows, $50 offer $40. The link above fare that it shows is INCLUDING tip. Good Luck!!

Edited by P.A.

I'm trying to figure out how to get eight plus our luggage (we all won't fit I our Mazda5) to Bayport from my home in Houston. Simple I thought, rent a van from Enterprise, drop it at Kemah and have them shuttle us to the terminal....on the return do the reverse, however, the local enterprise said I had to talk to the Katy location who handles the vans, they said I had to talk to the airport who will do a one way, but I can't get them to return my call.:confused:

Anyone have any ideas? Contact numbers? Other suggestions?

I'm trying to figure out how to get eight plus our luggage (we all won't fit I our Mazda5) to Bayport from my home in Houston.

I can't review them, because I haven't used them yet, but Extreme Elegance Limo Service has vans of different sizes and they already do a lot of one-way business with cruise customers in Galveston. 866-799-5466 - or put a DOT COM after their name "ExtremeElegance" ... They have a good reputation.

Gene in our Roll Call did!

I did a one day rental on a 13 passenger van from these people to give some CC friends a tour of Galveston before a cruise, you might give them a call if you need a van.

They are on 45 right by Hobby, they also have one in N. Houston off 45.

http://www.cappsvanrental.com/

• 2 weeks later...
http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/hampton-inn-houston-nasa-johnson-space-center-HOUKMHX/index.html

It could be this one. This is where I'm staying before my cruise next month. Several others on my cruise are also staying there.

Karen, your post/link's Hampton Inn is in Seabrook, TX, and is the closer of the two, being about 10 to 15 minutes away from the Bayport Terminal.

Either Seabrook, TX or LaPorte, TX are the two nearest suburban towns that have lodging and restaurants near the Bayport Terminal.

Sminfiddle's Hampton Inn link that was posted is in Webster, TX, which is about 30 minutes away from Bayport Terminal, and is on the far side (west) of NASA's Johnson Space Center, from the Bayport Terminal.

try using www.visitbayareahouston.com to find most of the hotels around the Bayport Terminal and the Clear Lake area.

Also, you can use Google Maps to search for "hotels near Seabrook Texas 77586" or "hotels near La Porte Texas 77571"

Legally, the Bayport Terminal is in the far eastern fringe of Pasadena, TX, which covers a large area. La Porte is 5 minutes to the north, and Seabrook is 5 to 10 minutes to the south, all along State Hwy 146, offering plenty of hotels and restaurants.

For the locals, any updates on additional parking yet? I believe Princess starts bringing in ships next week to add to Norwegian porting there.

I hope someone else can help you with this question, as it's been at least a year since I've visited the cruise terminal.

Here's a link to the Port of Houston's web page about the cruise terminal's parking:

http://www.portofhouston.com/cruise-information/parking/

The phone number for parking info is 877-710-2737

Or, you could call the Port of Houston's main number, 713-670-2400.

Edited by 1CruiserGuy

Princess starts in Nov of this year, but I see that NCL doesn't start until Oct 2014. Still shows parking for 1000 cars - for ships that hold 2000-3000 passengers. Wonder how many fly in vs drive in? How much of a zoo will it be with double that amount of passengers coming and going the same morning?

For the locals, any updates on additional parking yet?

When I drove down in September and chatted with the gate guard, there was a field of sand being spread and leveled, adjacent to the existing lot. The guard confirmed it was going to be paved for more parking.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

We are sailing out of Bayport Terminal in November on Princess and am disappointed by the lack of information from Princess as well as Bayport’s website as to facilities and transportation available.

We bought the Princess transfers to and from the airport(s) (IAH arrival and Hobby departure) for $96 for two people. While that is a good price, Princess gives varying information about the transfers. We arrive before 6:00 a.m. the morning of the cruise but Princess cannot give me a straight answer about when the transfer takes place. One rep told me 11:30 a.m. and the next rep told me 9:00-9:30. I am sure they are waiting for more people to purchase the transfers and waiting to acquire flight info but I don’t want to wait all day at the airport for flight delays or varying flights coming in in the afternoon. Princess website quotes a price of $100-125 for taxi fare from IAH. I just don’t know if it is worth it if there is nothing to do at the cruise port.

Does anyone know what is available at the port such as restaurants or shops? We do not want to take extra transportation around town or walk miles from the port to find something to eat. Is the port similar to an airport with some amenities or is it just a chair and chaos. We are not into taking a tour beforehand. This is our first time with a full suite and are anxious to board. My husband also has trouble walking so walking very far to find something at the pier is out of the question. Any suggestions?

We are sailing out of Bayport Terminal in November on Princess and am disappointed by the lack of information from Princess as well as Bayport’s website as to facilities and transportation available.

I've never been inside the terminal building, so I can't comment on what amenities they will be offering. I'm guessing that they will have some type of food concession there. But, that said, I've been in the Galveston Cruise Terminal on two occasions and don't remember seeing any concessions there either (mostly just a lot of chairs throughout, for waiting). I think I recall them handing out bottled water.

But, I can comment that the Bayport Terminal is in an industrial plant and container shipping area (Bayport Turning Basin) that's away from other businesses (hotels and restaurants). These are located 5 to 10 minutes by car either north or south of this industrial area. I posted more details about this just yesterday, found in post #115 (scroll down a few posts to find it). You can find the terminal on Google Maps and switch over to the satellite view, to see an aerial view of the terminal building and the surrounding area, using the search term "bayport cruise terminal 4700 samoth pasadena tx"

I am sure they are waiting for more people to purchase the transfers and waiting to acquire flight info but I don’t want to wait all day at the airport for flight delays or varying flights coming in in the afternoon. Princess website quotes a price of $100-125 for taxi fare from IAH. I just don’t know if it is worth it if there is nothing to do at the cruise port.

Unless you find out more details about the terminal building's amenities, I suggest you plan to go ahead and use your transfers that you've already purchased. At least they are officially sanctioned by Princess, which could be helpful.

The transfer to/from IAH airport will take about an hour, and the transfer to/from HOU (Hobby) airport is a bit less.

Does anyone know what is available at the port such as restaurants or shops? We do not want to take extra transportation around town or walk miles from the port to find something to eat. Is the port similar to an airport with some amenities or is it just a chair and chaos.

Again, please check my post #115, below, for more info on the closest restaurants and other businesses.

Edited by 1CruiserGuy

Thanks 1CruiserGuy. Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Last time we cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale it was somewhat of a cattle call with chairs (and nothing else there) for maybe half the folks and somewhat chaotic. Although once the role call started it went pretty smooth. I think you have it right to take the Princess transfer and way cheaper. I’m sure IAH has way more to keep us occupied than the port so we will just have to be patient. It was just frustrating that Princess doesn’t have specifics about their transfers albeit a new port. I think we are the second cruising with Princess out of this port.

Edited by goodnightprincess

We bought the Princess transfers to and from the airport(s) (IAH arrival and Hobby departure) for $96 for two people. While that is a good price, Princess gives varying information about the transfers. We arrive before 6:00 a.m. the morning of the cruise but Princess cannot give me a straight answer about when the transfer takes place. One rep told me 11:30 a.m. and the next rep told me 9:00-9:30. I am sure they are waiting for more people to purchase the transfers and waiting to acquire flight info but I don’t want to wait all day at the airport for flight delays or varying flights coming in in the afternoon. Princess website quotes a price of $100-125 for taxi fare from IAH. I just don’t know if it is worth it if there is nothing to do at the cruise port.

Does anyone know what is available at the port such as restaurants or shops? We do not want to take extra transportation around town or walk miles from the port to find something to eat. Is the port similar to an airport with some amenities or is it just a chair and chaos. We are not into taking a tour beforehand. This is our first time with a full suite and are anxious to board. My husband also has trouble walking so walking very far to find something at the pier is out of the question. Any suggestions?

We have never sailed out of Bayport as this is a new terminal , however, I would not plan on there being any concessions there. I have never seen concessions at a cruise terminal, although I don't know for sure.

We also have an early flight arrival time into HOU, ours is 8:45am. We too had purchased RT transfers from Princess. I contacted Princess and they said the transfer would not pick up until 10:30am. But because we wanted to make a stop (at a store) before arriving the cruise terminal, we decided to cancel our transfers and we ask a friend to pick us up. If our friend would not have been able to pick us up, we would have taken a taxi. But again this is only because we wanted to make a stop. The estimate I got on a taxi was $50 but this was from HOU.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. I'm sure you'll love the suite!! ;)

I'm trying to figure out how to get eight plus our luggage (we all won't fit I our Mazda5) to Bayport from my home in Houston. Simple I thought, rent a van from Enterprise, drop it at Kemah and have them shuttle us to the terminal....on the return do the reverse, however, the local enterprise said I had to talk to the Katy location who handles the vans, they said I had to talk to the airport who will do a one way, but I can't get them to return my call.:confused:

Contact Super Shuttle - they do residential pick ups - it will probably cost you less and you can arrange for them to pick you up afterwards either. You can get a quick quote online by filling out the online form.

I used them from Galveston to Hobby a few years ago for 10 and it worked out good. They charge a flat rate for the first person and usually $10 per person after.