Holland America secrets they don't tell you about - 2013 edition

Ship's Wake

How many beers do you get for a wine exchange?

I believe it was 6 but not impossible it was only 5. It was 2 years ago and since I don't remember what I had for breakfast today :o I'm really just guessing. Since then, she has just gifted us with OBC making life much easier.

Why is the bow White?

Is that snow or a reflection that is blocking the teak?

Geez Sail. Do you miss snow that much as we are just beginning summer. I try not to thing about it until at least December.

I believe it was 6 but not impossible it was only 5. It was 2 years ago and since I don't remember what I had for breakfast today :o I'm really just guessing. Since then, she has just gifted us with OBC making life much easier.

Thanks, that is wonderful, as our TA normally has a bottle of wine in the room which I usually end up taking home.

You can order the diningroom cheese plate for delivery to your cabin if you order after the diningroom opens. It's a much better plate than the regular one on the room service menu.

As a vegetarian, I sometimes found the vegetarian entree to be lacking in protein. On those days I tried asking for a few slices of cheese, but I guess it was more efficient for them to just bring me the entire cheese/fruit plate. It was a lovely selection.

We were able to order lunch from room service on embarkation day on board the Prisendam.

We were exhausted from a 9-hour flight to Rome & all of the other stuff related to getting on the ship and thought, well, why not see if we can just stay in our cabin.

The food arrived in about 20 mins which was ample time for us both to get out of our travel clothes and shower. It sure beat braving the crowds on the Lido. Shar

I always visit the bells on the bow when we cruise. I found my pictures from the NYC inaugural of Eurodam and the bow was painted. DH said the bow on Maasdam this year was painted. Most of my pictures just show the bells and not full view of the bow. Working on finding some more.

Another secret is that HAL advertises Champagne upon embarkation and for special occasions yet that is false advertising as they only provide Sparkling Wine.

All Champagne is a type of Sparkling Wine however no Sparkling Wine is Champagne!!

This is HAL's house Champagne. Is this what you are talking about? From France? HAL no longer advertises Champagne at embarkation, and they have not for years...As well they no longer advertise bottles going to Neptune Suite guests. It is now offered in the Neptune Lounge.

I am sure it is not from the Champagne Region of France, but it is imported and it is free.

th?id=H.4525066950150585&pid=1.7&w=172&h=185&c=7&rs=1

Edited by surfergirle

I will gladly take all unwanted chocolate croissants! :p

Here's another, not so secret, secret....the little bag they give you to cram full of laundry for $20 some bucks....actually holds a whole bunch of clothes. Last Christmas I was on a cruise with my parents and on about day 4 or 5 we thought we'd throw some clothes in the bag to get cleaned. Well we ended up having to hunt for dirty laundry as the bag held everything we'd alredy worn. Mind you we didn't put jeans or anything really bulky in it. But we were completely shocked at how much did fit. And then when it was all returned....oh my!!!! Beautifully folded in tissue paper and hung professionally on hangers. We definitely thought the $20 was worth it.

$49 for 7 days laundry and ironing on the Zuiderdam. What a bargain. Everything that had been worn on the previous 14 days tour was washed and ironed.

I always visit the bells on the bow when we cruise. I found my pictures from the NYC inaugural of Eurodam and the bow was painted. DH said the bow on Maasdam this year was painted. Most of my pictures just show the bells and not full view of the bow. Working on finding some more.

The "bells on the bow?"

On the ships with Northern Lights (the dance club), I've found a truly out-of-the-way place for watching the water go by - in the hallway windows leading into the club. There are two tall, narrow windows recessed into the hallway wall, with one fairly shallow and one much deeper, since the hallway curves away from the hull of the ship. At night, the curtains on these windows are closed - I may be strange :o but I really love getting a glass of wine and going behind the curtains to sit in the deeper window. It's like a private window seat, in a tiny private room, with an amazing close-up view of the waves hitting the outside of the ship. Go on, call me weird :D

thanks for that I will be travelling from Australia...a total of 30hours...all I want will be a meal /shower and sleep. K

Glad I could be of help. Just remember to stay awake long enough for lifeboat drill... they get a little snarky if you miss it.;)

You can order the diningroom cheese plate for delivery to your cabin if you order after the diningroom opens. It's a much better plate than the regular one on the room service menu.

Good to know. I didn't care for the pate on crackers we got on the last cruise.

I always enjoy HAL's cheese plate, my DW & DD are all over the chocolate but at the end of a meal I like the cheese plate.

:D

In the MDR, you can ask for the cheese selections and choose your own cheese. Sometimes preferable to the `standard`IMO

Forget ordering the cheese platter with their teeny tiny bits of cheese, in the Lido at lunch time there are full size wheels of cheese. Grab a plate, chop off the amount you want of the cheeses you want, go to the sandwich station and grab some bread rolls (if they don't have some by the cheeses). Then toddle back to your Verandah and enjoy cheese and bread, a glass of wine and it is heaven :D

No one takes any notice of you going back to your cabin with a plate in hand, I simply cover it with a serviette or another plate.

Wondering if you found the secret yet and if you did, please share as I've been trying to figure out a way for the last 6 years! :)

It's called "stowing away." :) Used to be a capital crime :mad:... maybe it still is? :eek:

On the ships with Northern Lights (the dance club), I've found a truly out-of-the-way place for watching the water go by - in the hallway windows leading into the club. There are two tall, narrow windows recessed into the hallway wall, with one fairly shallow and one much deeper, since the hallway curves away from the hull of the ship. At night, the curtains on these windows are closed - I may be strange :o but I really love getting a glass of wine and going behind the curtains to sit in the deeper window. It's like a private window seat, in a tiny private room, with an amazing close-up view of the waves hitting the outside of the ship. Go on, call me weird :D

I remember those windows! If it would not disturb your peace and serenity, I would be right in there with you! Just my kind of place. Maybe we can share? I guess next time I'm on board, I'd better knock before I pull back the curtain? :)

But now it's not a secret anymore and people will find that spot and you won't have it all to yourself! :(

Edited by SeagoingMom