Holland America secrets they don't tell you about - 2013 edition

Ship's Wake

On our recent Maasdam cruise, we just went to the lower level of the show lounge, opened the big heavy steal door, walked up a few steps and then outside to the bow. Very easy to do, but only when the ship is in port.

That's my route, too. So much easier than Greg's directions. Good to know if you want to pop back to a public restroom, then go back to the bow, too.

That's my route, too. So much easier than Greg's directions. Good to know if you want to pop back to a public restroom, then go back to the bow, too.

Would this work on the Eurodam too? She's not an S class; she's a Vista right?

Sorry to be a dunce!

Would this work on the Eurodam too? She's not an S class; she's a Vista right?

Sorry to be a dunce!

Then I'm a dunce, too, as I don't know how to get to the bow on the Vista/Signature ships. :o I'm pretty sure it isn't the same directions, but for all I know, it could be! Sorry.

You can order whatever they are serving in the MDR through room service if you call between 6 and 7PM. Be sure to check the menus posted outside the dining rooms and write down your choices as room service does not have a copy of the menu.

So if one does not order before 7, the dining room meal is not available for delivery? Can you ask for it to be delivered at a later time, or does it have to be delivered before 7?

• 3 weeks later...

Is the bow open to passengers most of the time? Can I assume I'm allowed up there unless there is a sign saying otherwise?

I've only been on on HAL cruise, but I didn't know about the bow until we got to Glacier Bay - it was obvious with the traffic - The entrance doesn't seem welcoming (meaning that it looked like a crew only area) so I was intimidated to go otherwise!

Is the bow open to passengers most of the time? Can I assume I'm allowed up there unless there is a sign saying otherwise?

Most of the time the bow is not open to passengers. It is open for scenic cruising in such areas as glaciers, Panama Canal, sailing out of Venice, scenic cruising in Antarctica.

The remainder of the time that area is off limits. You will be notified when the bow is open, as it will be published in the daily program, and there will be route signs posted.

There are other decks with some forward-facing space, although much smaller in area. The area in front of the gym is usually available for outside viewing. Remember that it can get very gusty out there!

The Prinsendam is the only ship where you never have access to the bow.

It's been awhile since the last one of these was posted, and since HAL has made changes over the years, I think it's time we get the scoop on the latest "secrets" or things not well known or publicized that can plus any HAL cruise.

I'll start with a few:

You can order any breakfast item being served in the dining room from room service during the dining room's hours of operation - just write it down on the room service menu card.

On Alaska cruises split pea soup is served out on deck during the cruising day in Glacier Bay .

Blankets are available on deck during Alaska cruises to keep you warm.

What are your "secrets" you are willing to share?

Here's a biggie for those who boarded HAL ships this past weekend: The big reveal...people boarding were met with a sign in the embarkation area that they were only allowed one bottle of wine per person...no matter the length of the cruise!

Now, that was a huge secret!!!

You can order whatever they are serving in the MDR through room service if you call between 6 and 7 PM.

sunroomsilly

I added the color. We are thinking of doing this on our next cruise. I thought the hours were 5:30 to 7. is this a change? can anyone post what has happened on a recent cruise?

Thx

ML

sunroomsilly

I added the color. We are thinking of doing this on our next cruise. I thought the hours were 5:30 to 7. is this a change? can anyone post what has happened on a recent cruise?

Thx

ML

I have found this varies from ship to ship. Your best bet is to ask when you board. Some ships you had to call within the first half hour (but it would be delivered when you chose). Others have longer hours.

On the Prinsendam, when I inquired it was anytime at all the dining room was open - but, the Prinsendam is in a class by herself and she doesn't always follow every one else's rules:D

Seriously, ask on board - things change all the time and you don't want an unpleasant surprise. They are very good at doing this and very accommodating.

I have found this varies from ship to ship. Your best bet is to ask when you board. Some ships you had to call within the first half hour (but it would be delivered when you chose). Others have longer hours.

On the Prinsendam, when I inquired it was anytime at all the dining room was open - but, the Prinsendam is in a class by herself and she doesn't always follow every one else's rules:D

Seriously, ask on board - things change all the time and you don't want an unpleasant surprise. They are very good at doing this and very accommodating.

Excellent, thanks Jacqui. As it happens, we will be on the P for this cruise, so this would be great!! We are both thinking that we will eat in the cabin on formal nights. The cruise is around the Black Sea and we will be doing a lot in the ports. It might be nice to just veg out on the sea days!!

ML

Excellent, thanks Jacqui. As it happens, we will be on the P for this cruise, so this would be great!! We are both thinking that we will eat in the cabin on formal nights. The cruise is around the Black Sea and we will be doing a lot in the ports. It might be nice to just veg out on the sea days!!

ML

do double check when you get on board to be safe - but that is what we were told in May this year.

Have a great time around the Black Sea:)

On the ships with Northern Lights (the dance club), I've found a truly out-of-the-way place for watching the water go by - in the hallway windows leading into the club. There are two tall, narrow windows recessed into the hallway wall, with one fairly shallow and one much deeper, since the hallway curves away from the hull of the ship. At night, the curtains on these windows are closed - I may be strange :o but I really love getting a glass of wine and going behind the curtains to sit in the deeper window. It's like a private window seat, in a tiny private room, with an amazing close-up view of the waves hitting the outside of the ship. Go on, call me weird :D

Well if you're weird, I must be too. I used to climb into the huge porthole window recess at night and watch the waves hitting the window on one of my cruises( not Hal). I would sit there for hours transfixed.

Holland America ships are ideal for scenic cruises. You can walk out to the front of the promenade deck when the ship is doing a scenic cruise day such as in Alaska or New Zealand or through the Panama Canal.

Don't believe you can do this with any other large ship cruise line.

Milford.Waterfall.Bow_.jpg

I found out on our Eurodam cruise that when they open the bow-deck 5-for viewing the doors to the balcony that oversees the bow- deck 6- is also open. I find it is quieter and less windy and noisy. It was perfect for our cruising of the Oslo Fjord and the Songefjord.

Though not technically a “secret” – I first learned about this through the Know Before You Go booklet – complimentary hors d’oeuvres are served during evening hours in the lounges upon request. These are different than the Starters in the Main Dining Room. We love to go to the Crow’s Nest, listen to the music and have hors d’oeuvres before dinner. Complimentary cold appetizers and freshly-made snack bars are also available throughout the day in the Explorations Café. In the Daily Program, there’s usually a listing for A Little Something, offering a specialty appetizer while listening to Adagio (while there’s a charge for the beverages offered, in my experience you can request only the appetizer, which is complimentary).

On the Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam, The Tamarind offers complimentary dim sum lunch daily (they may be closed for the first couple of days of the cruise). I lament the loss of complimentary cappuccinos in the main dining room, but was able to get them free of charge at The Tamarind. On my last cruise, all Collector’s Voyage guests were given a free dinner in The Tamarind and in my 7 cruises with HAL, this was by far the best meal we’ve ever eaten on board! So good, in fact, that we went back and didn’t bat an eye about paying the surcharge.

Echoing what others have said about ordering Room Service from the Main Dining Room’s menu during dinner hours, I usually take my iPhone with me to take a quick picture of the menu and then also compare it with the Lido’s offering. In my experience, I have always been able to order from the menu during dinner hours, but as others have warned, it’s best to double-check.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been on The Amsterdam during Christmas lately ??/ We are thinking of going next year for the 2 week circle the Caribbean and the last time we were on The Amsterdam for Christmas it was amazing. A string quartet greeted up at boarding. Real Christmas wreaths on the cabin doors. Georgeous White flocked Christmas trees throughout the ship Midnight mass with employees singing in their native languages...it snowed in the threatre when Santa arrived ( by Helicopter ) it was unbelievable and we just wondered if anyone has experienced this since ??? or is it like that on every Holland ship during Christmas???

We were on Amsterdam for Christmas last year. Yes, Santa did arrive and had gifts for all the children in the show lounge. Everything was decorated including the rails in the dining room. Most amazing decorations were in the Lido with a train, and on the 4th deck with Nutcracker soldiers and beautiful sleigh with presents . It was pretty spectacular and if you love Christmas, you will love a holiday cruise.

So if one does not order before 7, the dining room meal is not available for delivery? Can you ask for it to be delivered at a later time, or does it have to be delivered before 7?

At least on the Amsterdam (last fall) and the Prinsedam (this year), you can order from room service off the MDR menu at any time during the evening - but they greatly prefer after service times in the MDR. We have ordered at 7 pm and at 9 pm with no difficulty. One other feature is if you preorder (I order the evening before for low salt), just tell them your name and table number and they will send your preordered meal to your cabin.

• 4 months later...

Carnival, Celebrity, and Princess all have long running threads on this topic. I have searched for it here as I haven't been on HAL since 1997. We will be on the Eurodam May 23 Baltic Adventure.

So--what secrets should us newbies (or recycled newbies) know about?

Thanks.

There are no secrets in the Internet world. Everything everybody knows about HAL are right here on this board.

Then all of those knowledgable folks shoud be posting on this thread.

Does the dining room still have bowls of ginger out for you to take to combat seasickness?

Then all of those knowledgable folks shoud be posting on this thread.

Does the dining room still have bowls of ginger out for you to take to combat seasickness?

The ginger is available from the candy cart as you exit the dining room.